PDA

View Full Version : Northern Sands Hotel

Live Natural
03-Jan-10, 22:25
Hi new here so apologise if this is in wrong place but didn't know where to post as not a recommendation.
Does anyone know if this Hotel is still open and trading??????????????
Understand it is the festive and winter season so may be closed I do not live locally but have been trying to contact this hotel for days by email and telephone and getting no reply at all!!!!! Very urgently trying to book them for a wedding at short notice. Long tale been together 20 years 2 children and finally popped question want him down the aisle now!!!

horseman
03-Jan-10, 22:31
Hi there,wish I could help,but no use at all,but someone will come to your aid,thats for sure.
Millions an millions of congrats for the future.:)

Live Natural
03-Jan-10, 22:34
thank you horseman. i do hope someone can help! tearing my hair out now!!

Thumper
03-Jan-10, 22:41
They usually close from the 2nd for a few days so that may be why you cant get hold of them at the moment x

Live Natural
03-Jan-10, 22:46
Oh dear not what I wanted to know I need to have details confirmed before the end of this week. Had been trying them since 31st!!!

Thumper
03-Jan-10, 22:50
I am sure they will get back to you as soon as they can,Donnie and Shirley both take their business seriously so it looks as if they may not actually be at the hotel if they havent replied,give them a wee bit of time and see if they get back to you,oh and congrats on the wedding!x

Live Natural
03-Jan-10, 22:56
Thank you Thumper that is very helpful of you. we would like to hold it there as stayed there 7/8 years ago and liked the location but only have until 12th Feb to organise. Lots of requirements and will need to look elsewhere if they are not available early this week to discuss. Can anyone suggest another place in Caithness?

Other half has elderly grandparents who want to be at wedding so has to be in Caithness. Not easy to arrange from London!

viking
03-Jan-10, 23:35
Good Luck, hope you get it sorted soon and have a super day. Regrettably, a very recent visit to this hotel was absolutely dreadful - freezing cold, dark, damp and altogether miserable. Like you say it has so much potential but needs a huge makeover.

Twiggy
03-Jan-10, 23:38
try Norseman in Wick

Blarney
04-Jan-10, 00:04
Congratulations and glad you've decided to get married in the best county in the land!
Have you tried the Castletown Hotel (used to be called the St. Clair Arms) - they are only a few miles from Dunnet and the place is really nice since the new owners took over a while back. The food is excellent and the folk are professional and really helpful. I think their number is 01847 821656.
Most hotels are closed for a few days over new year but should be up and running again soon.
The Seaview Hotel at John O'Groats has great food too but I don't know what their accommodation is like.

Good luck anyway and keep us posted so we can be of help if need be.

Fran
04-Jan-10, 01:43
The Norseman hotel in wick is good for elderly people as it has everything on the one floor. there are bedrooms on the ground floor as well as upstairs, lovely lounge with log fire, nice big dining hall, children well catered for, very friendly staff, great food, central for buses and trains...Inverness bus stops outside. They also own the castletown hotel, excellent as well.
Congratulations to you both on your wedding, really lovely that you proposed after so long. go for it!!

Northern sands hotel tel.no is 01847851270

cazmanian_minx
04-Jan-10, 09:38
Northern Sands is up for sale at the moment:

http://www.dmcsoft.com/propshop/property.php3?UID=42e&propid=72234&regionid=6

North Light
04-Jan-10, 11:57
LN,

Northern Sands is showing availability on their online booking system, so I would expect them to be open, and you should get a reply.

Failing this. Caithness has a good range of Hotels, most of these can be found by doing a search on one of the Online Booking sites.

I would recommend a look at Active Hotels.

http://www.activehotels.com

Add the location you wish to centre your search in, and the dates accommodation is required.

Hope this helps.

NL

poppett
04-Jan-10, 12:15
Ulbster Arms Hotel in Halkirk may be worth a look too.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
04-Jan-10, 14:31
hey if you are down the road and needing to organise a wedding look for

"katy" on the forum.... she';s an events planner - doing really well for herself up here....really enthusiastic, reasonable prices and very down to earth - check her website

www.kgevents.co.uk

hope that helps....good luck for wedding and congratulations!!!!!!! x

Live Natural
04-Jan-10, 14:54
What a helpful group of people you are!

What we are planning is not a usual wedding we are very much spiritual people and had hoped for a different type of ceremony (the legal aspect being taken care of a few days before. We had chosen this hotel for very sentimental reasons but having no contact with them for several days. litPhone is on answering machine with no notice of being closed or when business will resume. No out of office response to emails. I would expect at least this if they are closed for a few days and would have acccepted that. The comments that it is dark and damp scare me!!! When we stayed there is was very welcoming and the best service we have had in any hotel in the UK. I have severe allergies for example and my intended is strictly vegan it was a joy to have stayed there before as these issues were catered to without any fuss and bent over backwards for us. This is why I chose here for the Wedding. With posts such as it is up for sale I fear however they may have stopped trading.

Thank you for all your help we will look into the alternatives suggested. Including the wedding planner boy oh boy will that make my life easier!!!!!!!

Thumper
04-Jan-10, 14:55
Northern Sands has been up for sale for sometime now but it is still up and running,I would fill in the online booking form and wait for them to get back to you.Castletown hotel is lovely too but it doesnt have a function room so thats may be a problem for you-cant see a marquee being much good in february :eek: x

Live Natural
04-Jan-10, 15:05
Thank you Thumper I have tried that route as we need accomodation for friends and family also. Unfortunately Credit Card details are required and having had no response and no hope of a date when response may be made I am not prepared to hand out these details.

Northern Sands
05-Jan-10, 12:44
I have pmīd you. Sorry for your inconvenience.

For the record the Hotel will be trading on a limited basis till Friday (4pm till 9pm) when normal service will resume. We did advertise the fact however in hindsight perhaps a message on the answering machine should have been left. Once again sorry for amy inconvenience this may have caused anyone.

igglepiggle
05-Jan-10, 13:24
I have heard the hotel does superb food, and there caravarys are supposed to be brill. We usually go to castletown, but our next outing will be Northern Sands. It has been years since i was last there, but i have heard really good reports

Live Natural
09-Jan-10, 12:16
Thank you all for assistance in this matter we have since booked elsewhere due to feedback received on Northern Sands. Wish them the best more professional solutions when not at establishment would be recommended.