PDA

View Full Version : Kitten advice

Bobbin
03-Jan-10, 00:26
Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me a bit of advice. Ive got 2 cats, both nearly 10 years old and I was wondering if they would be okay if I was to introduce a kitten to the family, would it be too much trouble and hastle?

teenybash
03-Jan-10, 00:55
How lovely that you are thinking of adopting a kitten.
If your cats are good natured there shouldn't be much of a problem in them blending together. It usually takes a couple of weeks for a kitten to settle and reveal its personality and little bits of mischief making.
A suggestion would be to always pet the older cats when petting the kitten and a tip to help them accept each other is............Rub your finger over the kittens nose, though it will probably do this first to you and then with the same finger rub the older cats nose. By doing this you are transferring scents one to other with you acting as the middle man and lessening the risk of a swipe.
A few weeks of sorting out pecking order and they should all be just one happy playful family. :)

Liz
03-Jan-10, 01:07
Good advice as always from Teenybash.:D

If you do decide to get a kitten I would highly recommend getting a Feliway diffuser as this really helps cats adapt to new situation. The cheapest place I have found this is www.vetuk.co.uk (http://www.vetuk.co.uk)

Also, introduce the kitten really slowly to your resident cats. At first placing the kitten in a cat carrier so that they can investigate safely.

Of course there will always be some hissing and spitting whilst everyone gets used to each other but harmony is usually restored after a while!

You could always get two kittens so they could keep each other entertained unless your older cats are quite playful?

Good luck!