PDA

View Full Version : Islamic March at Wootton Bassett

northener
02-Jan-10, 11:13
http://www.islam4uk.com/current-affairs/uk-news/421--coming-soon--wootton-bassett-march

Discuss.

DeHaviLand
02-Jan-10, 11:24
Quite frankly, I'm incensed. And now I see that link has turned up on a couple of biker forums I use.

Amy-Winehouse
02-Jan-10, 11:36
I honestly Cant see it going ahead without major problems, BNP or National front members will know about it & probably try their hardest to make sure it doesnt go ahead.

Theres another mob but I cant remember their name tbh who ould probably latch onto an occasion such as this & cause the march to stop.

Has anyone read the comments at the bottom of the page ??? the ex soldier...interesting!!!

I predict a riot

bekisman
02-Jan-10, 11:51
Oh well that's another 10,000 recruited for the BNP..

Phill
02-Jan-10, 12:25
Unfortunately the whole thing will be hijacked by extremist idiots on all sides, the media, politicians and a load of half educated ignorant thugs.

Even this group, Islam for the UK, (in my humble opinion) seem to be extremist and within their website appear to try and stir up tension.

They do not talk of acceptance, cohesion and understanding of different religions and cultures but of Britain succumbing to Islamic rule.

Sorry, another bunch of extremist idiots stirring up the hornets nest. They'll light the blue touch paper and stand back while the outrage bus descends into violence.

dafi
02-Jan-10, 12:57
I dont like to see pepoles right to voice their views through protest subverted. I believe that every one has the right to make their protest in public. The fact that i and others may find it objectionable or distastefull is neither here or there.

The thing that does concern me is that this is being organised by Al-Muhajiroun whom i thought were a proscribed orginisation in the UK now.

It does smack of an event dillibrately intended to cause a violent backlash that will foster yet more anti UK feeling through out the muslim world.

As i said tho i dont want to see any ones right to protest or their rights to express themselfs curtailed but there is a time and a place and i dont think this will be it. To be honest i cant see this protest going ahead because of the very real potential for real civil disturbance, this should be the only criteria for stopping such a protest.

pat
02-Jan-10, 13:08
Have read it and read the remarks at the bottom by an ex-soldier who is Muslim.
His comments are so true - wish the site makers would take some notice but after so many hits and only 2 comments.

Before a march do they not have to have permission from Police and Local Authority to hold a march as it has to be policed and arrangements made for marchers - they could perhaps legally not permit the march on the date requested.

I do think of the folk on the other side but as far as I am concerned our troops come first as they have to do as ordered and never allowed to comment or complain about whatever they have to do.

There will be bedlam if the march ever takes place, hope there are plenty of police and forces on hand to quell the uprising.

Bazeye
02-Jan-10, 14:04
I honestly Cant see it going ahead without major problems, BNP or National front members will know about it & probably try their hardest to make sure it doesnt go ahead.

Theres another mob but I cant remember their name tbh who ould probably latch onto an occasion such as this & cause the march to stop.

Has anyone read the comments at the bottom of the page ??? the ex soldier...interesting!!!

I predict a riot

The BNP will not be there, they do not hold rallies,demos and marches, they are a political party. However if this goes ahead ,which Im very sceptical about, and there are arrests for violence, you can guarantee the media will bring up all the "buzzwords", ie.fascist, nazi far right etc in an attempt to smear the BNP. Me, personally dont think it will go ahead, I think its just mischief making by Islam 4 UK.

crayola
02-Jan-10, 14:05
Unfortunately the whole thing will be hijacked by extremist idiots on all sides, the media, politicians and a load of half educated ignorant thugs.

Even this group, Islam for the UK, (in my humble opinion) seem to be extremist and within their website appear to try and stir up tension.

They do not talk of acceptance, cohesion and understanding of different religions and cultures but of Britain succumbing to Islamic rule.

Sorry, another bunch of extremist idiots stirring up the hornets nest. They'll light the blue touch paper and stand back while the outrage bus descends into violence.
I don't know why you say 'Even this group, Islam for the UK, (in my humble opinion) seem to be extremist......'

They are an extremist group! Of course they present themselves as being reasonable but in my opinion they are not.

Here's what the pbr (progressive british muslims) think of them.

Progressive British Muslims: concern over Islam4UK grows (http://www.pbm.org.uk/press/20091002islam4uk.htm)

dafi
02-Jan-10, 14:28
Good post crayola!!

It just go's to show you shouldnt tar every one with the same brush.

There is nothing but mischief(to say the least) behind the efforts of islam4uk.

I cant understand how Al-Muhajiroun can stay in the public eye like this if they are a banned extremist orginisation.

joxville
02-Jan-10, 14:33
I cant understand how Al-Muhajiroun can stay in the public eye like this if they are a banned extremist orginisation.

Partly for our Governments need to keep the fear of God Allah in us, so they can control us with more CCTV, airport scanners, increase taxes to 'help combat global terrorism', blah blah blah.......

Phill
02-Jan-10, 15:46
I don't know why you say 'Even this group, Islam for the UK, (in my humble opinion) seem to be extremist......'

They are an extremist group! Of course they present themselves as being reasonable but in my opinion they are not.

Errrm...'cos it's my opinion, as you have stated your opinion too.

I'd never heard of them before so after following the link and viewing their website I formed my opinion, having no other knowledge of them it wouldn't be wise of me to start spouting my views as fact. And I do not have the time nor inclination to look into and research various Islamic websites to know any different of them.

:Razz

So were agreed then......to the trebuchet!

Where's RB and his lilly livered, tree hugging liberal views?

crayola
02-Jan-10, 17:04
Errrm...'cos it's my opinion, as you have stated your opinion too.

I'd never heard of them before so after following the link and viewing their website I formed my opinion, having no other knowledge of them it wouldn't be wise of me to start spouting my views as fact. And I do not have the time nor inclination to look into and research various Islamic websites to know any different of them.

:Razz

So were agreed then......to the trebuchet!

Where's RB and his lilly livered, tree hugging liberal views?
Yeah ok. :D

I'm a bit surprised you hadn't heard of them but not very surprised.

Anyways, we're agreed. They are an extremist group and therefore should be annihilated forthwith, preferably by mutually assured destruction with a similar group with opposing views.

How's about a battle of medieval ideas with medieval weapons, all supporters of Islam4UK versus all supporters of the EDL and BNP? A suitable site would be one of the fields next to Culloden Battlefield. (We don't want to desecrate the original.) Tickets will be inexpensive and all proceeds will go to good causes.

Bazeye
02-Jan-10, 19:03
Partly for our Governments need to keep the fear of God Allah in us, so they can control us with more CCTV, airport scanners, increase taxes to 'help combat global terrorism', blah blah blah.......
Nice to see im not the only one with my eyes open. Btw jox, you forgot wheelie bin inspectors.

Boozeburglar
02-Jan-10, 19:19
These guys are just a bunch of gits, and they are not the only gits around.

They don't represent Islam any more than the NF represented the Royal Family.

sam09
02-Jan-10, 20:11
If this march is allowed to go ahead by the powers that be, not only are they showing complete disrepect for the good people of wooten bassett they are showing complete complete disrepect for every service person that has ever served our country. This march is for no other reason than to forment public disorder. If they want to march anywhere I suggest they march in Helmand Province.

bekisman
02-Jan-10, 20:21
Won't happen:
'The police have extensive powers to impose conditions on marches, and even to ban them. In advance, the Chief Constable can impose conditions relating to the route, number of marchers, types of banners or duration, or restrict entry to a public place. These conditions must be in writing. After the procession has begun the most senior officer on the spot can impose similar conditions, which do not have to be in writing. The POA says that conditions can be imposed only if the senior officer reasonably believes that the procession may result in:
a) Serious Public Disorder; or
b) Serious damage to property; or
c) serious disruption to the life of the community

Gronnuck
02-Jan-10, 21:31
[disgust] Sadly Islam4UK and its followers have totally missed the point of the purpose of the vigil at Wooton Basset. It is a non-political coming together of people to honour servicemen and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice. From the outset it was decided politics and politicians would not be part of this event. The proposed plan by Islam4UK just shows how sneeringly they view our ‘British’ way of doing things.
I’m all for freedom of expression and that includes peaceful protest. The place to make their very Political point is at the Palace of Westminster.
It is to be hoped that the Chief Constable of the relevant police authority turns down any application for a politically inspired march which will serve no purpose other than to inflame political passions.

Blarney
03-Jan-10, 01:53
Oh well that's another 10,000 recruited for the BNP..

My feelings exactly. One of the reasons that this country is in such a stinking mess today is that the authorities pussyfoot around the extremists and try their utmost to be politically correct in all matters. The result is that any nutter with half a mind, no fixed abode and no means can enter this country and spout his garbage to anyone who will listen. The taxpayer gets fed up with footing the bill to keep them and joins the BNP as it's the only way that they can voice their opinion on the wrongs in the system. They don't necessarily agree with all that the party stands for but at least it bucks the PC trend.
When is Britain going to take a similar stance to Australia and just say NO?

J C Denton
03-Jan-10, 02:20
Free speech works both ways. You can't advocate it for yourself whilst at the same time denying it to people whose message you find distasteful.

Phill
03-Jan-10, 10:18

This is, unfortunately, where al-Qaeda is winning hands down. But it is also a win for the governments of the UK & US too, slowly eroding our freedoms and gaining more control under the guise of "the war on terrorism".

CCTV, not really all that much use in court on it's own.
Airport security, is a farce and is just a show. The UK is no safer from airborne attack.
Taxes, well now there's an idea!

Bazeye
03-Jan-10, 13:58
When is Britain going to take a similar stance to Australia and just say NO?

Google Australian identity forum. It appears they are not saying no, nowadays.

Blarney
03-Jan-10, 16:20
http://www.islam4uk.com/current-affairs/uk-news/421--coming-soon--wootton-bassett-march

Discuss.
Would be interested to hear your views on this Northerner as you've been very reticent to date.

veekay
03-Jan-10, 17:44
Is it only me who finds the whole thing totally distasteful? The people of Wootton Bassett turn out to honour our fallen service personnel not politicise a war or a religion. Lets hope that common sense - that rarest of things - prevails.

bekisman
04-Jan-10, 16:54
Very interesting comments about these jokers:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NO-TO-THE-PLANNED-ISLAMIC-MARCH-THROUGH-WOOTON-BASSETT-RIP-HEROES-X/231536400652?v=wall

tonkatojo
04-Jan-10, 18:14
Very interesting comments about these jokers:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NO-TO-THE-PLANNED-ISLAMIC-MARCH-THROUGH-WOOTON-BASSETT-RIP-HEROES-X/231536400652?v=wall

The vast majority read my mind.
I read they wanted to carry empty coffins Hmmmmm, mind you they wouldn't on the Lyth to Gills road, they would be on their arses more than enough, the council forgets this road exists in the winter.

northener
05-Jan-10, 12:54
Would be interested to hear your views on this Northerner as you've been very reticent to date.

OK.

Let them get on with it.

We live in a democracy and should allow those who think differently to march - providing it is peaceful.
If they were to march on the days that dead troops are being returned - then, they should be prohibited on the grounds of acting in a manner likely to cause a breach of the peace. Apart from that, unless they are a banned organisation (and I believe the jury is still out on that one) they have the same right as CND, Anti Hunt, the Communist party, BNP, Anarchists in general, Sinn Feinn, the Orange order...blah, blah, blah......

We must bear in mind that this is a small group of radical dipsticks - they certainly don't speak on behalf of the Muslim Council or the Islamic population of the UK. But that doesn't mean they should be treated any differently. Like it or not, they have a valid reason to protest peacefully.

How we react to the march is more important. No protests, no confrontation, just turn your back on them...or empty the streets.

But......

I suspect that this group has already achieved its ambition without marching. They have created enough knee-jerk outrage to enable them to quote anti-Islamic British statements for the next decade. Job done.

tonkatojo
05-Jan-10, 13:13
OK.

Let them get on with it.

We live in a democracy and should allow those who think differently to march - providing it is peaceful.
If they were to march on the days that dead troops are being returned - then, they should be prohibited on the grounds of acting in a manner likely to cause a breach of the peace. Apart from that, unless they are a banned organisation (and I believe the jury is still out on that one) they have the same right as CND, Anti Hunt, the Communist party, BNP, Anarchists in general, Sinn Feinn, the Orange order...blah, blah, blah......

We must bear in mind that this is a small group of radical dipsticks - they certainly don't speak on behalf of the Muslim Council or the Islamic population of the UK. But that doesn't mean they should be treated any differently. Like it or not, they have a valid reason to protest peacefully.

How we react to the march is more important. No protests, no confrontation, just turn your back on them...or empty the streets.

But......

I suspect that this group has already achieved its ambition without marching. They have created enough knee-jerk outrage to enable them to quote anti-Ilamic British statements for the next decade. Job done.

There's not much I normally disagree with you, but, when push comes to shove most Muslim's will rise to defend there own right or wrong, my thoughts are free speech is OK but there must be limits on how we perceive public decency, and our way of life.

Phill
05-Jan-10, 13:42
when push comes to shove all the Muslim's will rise to defend there own right or wrong

Followers of the Muslim faith are just as varied and diverse as Christians and other faiths.
Some are extremist nutters like this mob who want to stir things up and you get those who were born into Islam but now are lapse or maybe only bother with bigger ceremonies. And of course everything in between, most of those falling in between are sensible and reasonable people who recognise this group as the nutters they are.

I was supposedly baptised/christened into the Christian faith but I don't go out with the extremist Christians when they start ranting about homosexuals, abortion and wifey vicars and the like.

tonkatojo
05-Jan-10, 16:14
Followers of the Muslim faith are just as varied and diverse as Christians and other faiths.
Some are extremist nutters like this mob who want to stir things up and you get those who were born into Islam but now are lapse or maybe only bother with bigger ceremonies. And of course everything in between, most of those falling in between are sensible and reasonable people who recognise this group as the nutters they are.

I was supposedly baptised/christened into the Christian faith but I don't go out with the extremist Christians when they start ranting about homosexuals, abortion and wifey vicars and the like.

Perhaps your right, personally I am sceptic. A bit like the British Muslim soldier reported the other day being a squaddie didnt change his side at all, backing the march. :(
another couple of prime examples, Sallmon Rushdie , or the Scandinavian cartoonist, a cleric on the other side of the world makes a decree and they must quake in fear, Yeah Right.

Alice in Blunderland
05-Jan-10, 16:54
There's not much I normally disagree with you, but, when push comes to shove all the Muslim's will rise to defend there own right or wrong, my thoughts are free speech is OK but there must be limits on how we perceive public decency, and our way of life.

No when push comes to the shove not all Muslims will rise and defend there own right or wrong.Many dissaprove of this organisation and all they stand for.

:)

tonkatojo
05-Jan-10, 17:18
No when push comes to the shove not all Muslims will rise and defend there own right or wrong.Many dissaprove of this organisation and all they stand for.

:)

The problem is its not just this organisation is it, cast your mind back to sallmon Rushdie days and the worldwide televised threats from numerous "Muslim" countries and some from this UK . I realise some are moderate and do not spout hatred of all westerners but to my way of thinking they are few and far between.
Also the Scandinavian cartoonist a nutter, albeit a Muslim one, was arrested just the other day trying to fulfil the clerics decree.

bekisman
05-Jan-10, 17:42
Sounds a reasonable chap:

Anjem Choudary (born in 1967) is the leader of the British Islamist group, Islam4UK, and a follower of Omar Bakri Muhammad. He is a British citizen, and helped found two Islamist organisations - al-Muhajiroun and The Saviour Sect - that were later designated and banned as terrorist by the British government. Choudary has urged Muslims to not cooperate with the police in fighting terrorism, and in September 2006 was investigated after he allegedly called for the assassination of the Pope.

He is a qualified solicitor and chairman of the Society of Muslim Lawyers although he was removed from the roll in 2002. He has also claimed to be a "judge" of the "Shari’ah Court of the UK", alongside Omar Bakri; although neither men are officials of the Muslim Arbitration Tribunal, the only legally binding sharia courts in the UK.

Can't check his 'open letter' Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /current-affairs/uk-news/422-letter-to-the-families-of-british-soldiers-who-have-diere-currently-in-afghanistan on this server. Hmm why's that, hacked? I wonder who did that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anjem_Choudary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anjem_Choudary)

DeHaviLand
05-Jan-10, 23:15

Discuss.

Whoops, looks like someone decided to remove their website. Well, at least its a start [lol]

gleeber
05-Jan-10, 23:48
I saw the guy Chowdrey whose the mouthpiece for this bunch or religious zealots on the telly and he is an enemy of the state by virtue of his own words. A scary guy whose led by God and his holy book.
The British government could learn a thing or two from the wartime government of Britain who tried enemies of the state in the courts and gave them their due respects.
Either its a war on terrror or its nonsense and our troops are being killed for nothing.
I prefer to call it a war on terror and this guy needs locked up and his buddies be taught to understand that their extremist views will not be tolerated. fat chance I know.

tonkatojo
05-Jan-10, 23:57
I saw the guy Chowdrey whose the mouthpiece for this bunch or religious zealots on the telly and he is an enemy of the state by virtue of his own words. A scary guy whose led by God and his holy book.
The British government could learn a thing or two from the wartime government of Britain who tried enemies of the state in the courts and gave them their due respects.
Either its a war on terrror or its nonsense and our troops are being killed for nothing.
I prefer to call it a war on terror and this guy needs locked up and his buddies be taught to understand that their extremist views will not be tolerated. fat chance I know.

Thanks for that gleeber, I thought I was on my own for a while there.
Perhaps the yanks will give Downing street a directive instead of Brussels on this subject LOL.

horseman
06-Jan-10, 00:41
Well said gleeber.For those scumbags to hide their filth (my opion entirely an not open on reason to it) behind 'human rights' an openly fly their flag of quite incomprehensable support for all we stand for an openly support past atrocities an encourage more!-Then we have people here willing to wave that blasted flag for them---That is more than I can comprehend. Where will it ever end? As I see it there must be a stop point,there must come a halt time for what in my opion can be called treason. How far would the appeasers on here go,an there must be a limit-
Makes me sad.An I don't mind being the sole one with that thought.

maidenmania
06-Jan-10, 00:46

Discuss.

Mass castration?

crayola
06-Jan-10, 01:13
Mass castration?
You lot are all softies. :roll:

My solution (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=639426#post639426) is more efficient but yours would at least provide a good deal of raw material for my proposed new venture with Mey Selections (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=641081#post641081).

bekisman
06-Jan-10, 11:45
A few liberals (small L) are on this site and espouse the right for protest, no matter what; 'free speech' they say. This 'right' was gained by my forbearers dying on the battlefields of Mons, Ypres, Anzio. Three of my sons - and myself - serving Britain continuously for the last 48 years.. My eldest son has undertaken two tours of Afghan, previously Iraq and my daughter-in-law has just, a week ago, returned to Helmand. So yes I think I've earned the right to 'free speech'?
I switch on the television and watch the hearses moving from RAF Lyneham along the A3102 to get to the John Radcliffe Hospital morgue in Oxford for post-mortem . They pass through Wootton Bassett. In 2007 the first time a military hearse carrying the body of a slain British soldier drove through town, an elderly man stood silent and alone by the side of the road, saluting as the coffin went by. This has now turned into an unsolicited act of humble respect by hundreds. I do not think I am alone when a tear rolls down my cheeks as I watch.

It is a personal unselfish action by the people of that town, and for some insect - who instigated two terrorist organisations - to attempt to hijack this ceremony for our dead, is sick (whether he intended to or not).
Do they have a valid reason to protest? please feel free to travel to Iraq where in 24 years Saddam killed between 600,000 and 1,000,000 Iraqi civilians, was responsible for the deaths of between 250,000 and 550,000 Iraqi military personnel and over 700,000 Iranians and Kuwaitis this is an average of between 25,260 and 42,108 civilians a year. A hell of a lot of Muslims.. Apply for Visas now.

I see the abortion group 'infant-outrage' is holding a protest parade through Glasgow, carrying in open caskets the foetuses of 60 dead babies.. No, it would not be permitted 'outrages public decency'. During WWII Germans who lived in Britain, demanded the right to march through Coventry carrying empty coffins as a 'valid reason' to protest peacefully against the bombing of Berlin.. need I go on?

The right to protest was won in blood, this does not mean naively giving carte blanche to everyone, in spite of how terribly politically incorrect that is! No this is not a knee jerk reaction, obviously having a very personal interest and concern for my own family I take a measured response, and in this case an intended march is totally wrong.

Boozeburglar
06-Jan-10, 15:32
please feel free to travel to Iraq where in 24 years Saddam killed between 600,000 and 1,000,000 Iraqi civilians, was responsible for the deaths of between 250,000 and 550,000 Iraqi military personnel and over 700,000 Iranians and Kuwaitis this is an average of between 25,260 and 42,108 civilians a year. A hell of a lot of Muslims.. Apply for Visas now.

I don't really see your point..

The Western governments that armed, trained and supported the regime in Iraq, and then went to war against it, are to blame for the deaths caused in their wars. Saddam was ultimately their puppet for a good deal of his time.

While I support any individual in the services fully, I will not agree that those fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan are doing so to maintain or ensure freedom of speech.

WWII? That was certainly not a war about freedom of speech.

FWIW I don't think any such march should be allowed; if it were it a genuine aim of any organisation.

bekisman
06-Jan-10, 16:34
I don't really see your point.. fair enough

The Western governments that armed, trained and supported the regime in Iraq, and then went to war against it, are to blame for the deaths caused in their wars. Saddam was ultimately their puppet for a good deal of his time. Iran?

While I support any individual in the services fully, I will not agree that those fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan are doing so to maintain or ensure freedom of speech. your prerogative

WWII? That was certainly not a war about freedom of speech. If you say so.

These guys are just a bunch of gits, and they are not the only gits around you are right there..

rich
06-Jan-10, 17:06
I cant see that this debate has much to do with freedom of speech. The issue is freedom of assembly and public order. That's a matter for police (and rightly so.)

Bazeye
06-Jan-10, 18:12
Hes claiming the equivelant of £30,000 pa as well. The state of this country now makes me want to spew.[disgust][disgust][disgust]

redeyedtreefrog
07-Jan-10, 02:20
How about we lock this guy in a small cupboard with Nick Griffin, see what happens?

Aaldtimer
07-Jan-10, 04:01
Hes claiming the equivelant of £30,000 pa as well. The state of this country now makes me want to spew.

I'd be interested to know where this info comes from Baz...you got a link?:confused

golach
07-Jan-10, 11:08
I have signed this petition to the Government to get them to stop this disgrace

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/RespectWBassett/ (http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/RespectWBassett/)

tonkatojo
07-Jan-10, 11:47
How about we lock this guy in a small cupboard with Nick Griffin, see what happens?

You don't think Griffin will fall for that one, the other bloke will probably have a couple of thugs hiding under his nightie, and if not an explosive belt or an uzzi.;)

Bazeye
07-Jan-10, 19:45
I'd be interested to know where this info comes from Baz...you got a link?:confused

Cant do links but if you just google Anjem Choudhary benefits a few examples will appear.

tonkatojo
07-Jan-10, 19:52

http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=2213

oldmarine
07-Jan-10, 20:05
[quote=Boozeburglar;WWII? That was certainly not a war about freedom of speech.[/quote]

I served with many of your country's patriots during WW2. My impression was that we were fighting for freedom of speech in addition to many other causes during that great war. It has been a long time but I still remember.

northener
07-Jan-10, 20:13
Question:

If this was a White, British, Christian organisation that wished to march because of their anti-war stance and their belief that Western forces were responsible for the deaths of thousands of Afghan civvies...would we see the same levels of 'outrage' as we see regarding this group?

Somehow, I think not.

Like I said in my original post:" Job done". They'll be laughing their heads off over this one. Nice one, muppets. You've walked straight into it.

Bear that in mind when you see extracts from pro Islamic activists stating that Westerners should be shot, stoned, hung and 'bombed back to the stone age'..they'll have been reading the same posts as you from the other side of the fence......pot and kettle, anyone?

Boozeburglar
08-Jan-10, 03:41
I served with many of your country's patriots during WW2. My impression was that we were fighting for freedom of speech in addition to many other causes during that great war. It has been a long time but I still remember.

Withoubt a doubt, but it was not 'about' freedom of speech.

Thankyou for your efforts by the way, I am sure without you and your like we would not be tattling away on a message board debating semantics. :)

Tristan
08-Jan-10, 08:12
I think there is a time and and a place for a peace march and I don't think Wootton Bassett is that place. The people there come out to celebrate the lives and the deaths of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in what has always been a very questionable war. They are not supporting the war but those who pay the ultimate sacrifice.
Those who want to march to either condemn or support the war should find another place to do so. Let those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice be remembered in peace.

northener
08-Jan-10, 10:37
I think there is a time and and a place for a peace march and I don't think Wootton Bassett is that place. The people there come out to celebrate the lives and the deaths of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in what has always been a very questionable war. They are not supporting the war but those who pay the ultimate sacrifice.
Those who want to march to either condemn or support the war should find another place to do so. Let those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice be remembered in peace.

I think that this is a reasonable stance, Tristan. I agree that there is a time and a place for everything.

Let me look at it another way, there are many groups who wish to march at the Cenotaph on Rememberance Day (remember the white poppy argument?) who are Anti-war, Pacifists or just out to promote their own cause.

I would say they have as much right to march peacefully as anyone else..but not upon Rememberance Day at the Cenotaph - that day is for those who fell in action in service to their country.
In the same vein I would say that any protest upon the same day that our fallen are being taken through the streets in Wootton Bassett is completely unacceptable. Apart from that, they should have the same right to have their voice heard as anyone else...unless they are a banned organisation that are promoting themselves.

Phill
11-Jan-10, 01:05
I guess they achieved what they wanted.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8451014.stm

I say they, but is it just he?

northener
11-Jan-10, 10:35
From the BBC:

".....He was trying to make a political statement, the whole announcement was to get media coverage - he admitted that himself - and he achieved it. He received lots of coverage," he said.

Mohammed Shafiq, from the Ramadhan Foundation, said Mr Choudary had been deliberately provocative.
"His attempt to demonstrate at Wootton Bassett was set out to provoke hatred between communities and is not welcomed in the Muslim communities," he said.
"He and his cronies have no support in the British Muslim communities."

bekisman
11-Jan-10, 12:41
From the Telegraph

Islam4UK decides to avoid public humiliation

Janet Daley (Telegraph).... As I predicted [Sky News is reporting that the extremist Muslim group Islam4UK may agree to call off its outrageous plan to march through Wootton Bassett if government ministers will agree to debate with them on the war in Afghanistan] last week, Islam4UK has called off its march in Wootton Bassett – needless to say without the government agreeing to its outrageous demand to meet for a “debate” on the war in Afghanistan....

This climbdown is as much as anything a noteworthy triumph for moderate Islam many of whose leaders made it clear that they were disgusted and furious with the organisation’s offensive plan.

Even the leaders of a publicity-seeking crowd of fanatics must have seen that this was a bridge too far: that they would be held personally responsible for the backlash against innocent members of their own community and for what might have been irreparable damage to race relations in Britain. The forces of sanity (or, at least self-preservation) have prevailed – for which we must give thanks.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Jan-10, 16:30
Freedom of Speech................Whits that?Political Correctness(PC),has killed this off.A Man can create negativity by saying that the soldiers going off to Afghanistan are "Nazis" and get £30,000 for it.A man can go over to Afghanistan and get less for his job.Freedom of speech.......in the words of a Mr Jim Royle......My arse!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Jan-10, 16:36
But they called it off.Why?Because they knew there would be more folk waiting for them to do their match.They chickened out.They still collect their £30,000 a year though.

ducati
11-Jan-10, 17:12
Just been to the web site and there is press release calling off the march.

Interesting reading.

Bazeye
11-Jan-10, 20:41
Why the hell is this man not locked in a cell for his speeches inciting hatred? If I were to walk around the streets spouting racial hatred against muslims Id be arrested straight away. This country has no backbone whatsoever.

bekisman
12-Jan-10, 09:37
Well our knee-jerk protest has achieved something:

Islam4UK banned under terror laws

A radical Islamist group that planned a march through Wootton Bassett will be banned under counter-terrorism laws, Home Secretary Alan Johnson has said.
Members of Islam4UK had planned the march through the Wiltshire town to honour Muslims killed in the Afghanistan conflict.
The government had been considering outlawing the group, which is said to have extremist links. Earlier this week, Gordon Brown said plans for the march were "disgusting".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8453560.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8453560.stm)

northener
12-Jan-10, 10:26
Why the hell is this man not locked in a cell for his speeches inciting hatred? If I were to walk around the streets spouting racial hatred against muslims Id be arrested straight away. This country has no backbone whatsoever.

A little more backbone than you believe, Baz:

Well our knee-jerk protest has achieved something:

A radical Islamist group that planned a march through Wootton Bassett will be banned under counter-terrorism laws, Home Secretary Alan Johnson has said.
Members of Islam4UK had planned the march through the Wiltshire town to honour Muslims killed in the Afghanistan conflict.
The government had been considering outlawing the group, which is said to have extremist links. Earlier this week, Gordon Brown said plans for the march were "disgusting".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8453560.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8453560.stm)

Boozeburglar
13-Jan-10, 20:39
Enormous mistake 'banning' them.

Enormous.

bekisman
13-Jan-10, 20:45
suppose no-one organisation should ever be banned? IRA etc

Boozeburglar
13-Jan-10, 21:07
Why would you suppose that?

bekisman
13-Jan-10, 21:19
I'm simply going by your statement that it was an enormous mistake banning islam4uk, so one would presume that others should not be banned by, ie. emphasising 'them' it was a fair statement considering the paucity of your sentence

Boozeburglar
13-Jan-10, 21:30
I think what I said was clear.

I think it is a mistake banning Islam4UK.

If I thought it is a mistake to ban any organisation, I would say that. I am not backwards coming forwards in that respect.

I made no emphasis either.

What has the IRA got to do with it?

Stack Rock
13-Jan-10, 22:01
[quote=bekisman;643784]Well our knee-jerk protest has achieved something:

This is meaningless as they will just operate under another name. Deport the trouble makers.

bekisman
15-Jan-10, 12:39
Boozeburglar
Ok, simply: why: "I think it is a mistake banning Islam4UK." ?

bekisman
15-Jan-10, 12:46

'This is meaningless as they will just operate under another name. Deport the trouble makers.'

They had previously operated under other names, so seeing that 'RIRA' is proscribed, they have just to call themselves something else and they are at liberty to continue? nope, they would be proscribed too - also in addition individuals are named as proscribed..

Oh yea fully agree kick em out, but where too? if they don't have another's countries passport, can't do it, and even if they do, British Government (since Bliar accepted ALL human Rights Act), can't send them to a country where the poor things 'might' be ill treated..

oldmarine
17-Jan-10, 00:05

'This is meaningless as they will just operate under another name. Deport the trouble makers.'

They had previously operated under other names, so seeing that 'RIRA' is proscribed, they have just to call themselves something else and they are at liberty to continue? nope, they would be proscribed too - also in addition individuals are named as proscribed..

Oh yea fully agree kick em out, but where too? if they don't have another's countries passport, can't do it, and even if they do, British Government (since Bliar accepted ALL human Rights Act), can't send them to a country where the poor things 'might' be ill treated..

I believe Bekisman is correct on this one. I don't know about the part he credits to Blair, but this group will just return under another name just as many other undesirables have done on this forum. I believe we will recognise them by their postings or whatever.