PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotherapy

Kathy@watten
31-Dec-09, 17:31
Has anyone here had hypnotherapy for anything? I am considering it and would like to know ho effective the treatment was to you, I would like to have a food issue dealt with and a phobia issue sorted out. Think the nearest place is a lady in muir of ord has anyone been there for therapy?

joxville
31-Dec-09, 18:04
I had hypnotherapy to stop smoking eighteen months ago, it worked for me, from 30-0 in 90 mins. Cost £190 but worth every penny. :)

Some people want me to go again and see if he can make me stop talking pish. :cool:

lelebo
31-Dec-09, 18:58
Hi there

I'm a Clinical Hypnotherapist registered with the General Hypnotherapy Register - I run Alternative Vitality in Wick - you can find more info on our website

www.alternativevitality.co.uk

I've had lots of good results with clients but maybe some of my clients on the org could give you some feedback on their experiences (always good to hear from someone who's had it done :) )

Donna

dragonfly
31-Dec-09, 19:22
has anybody had the Hypno-Band Donna? I'd be interested in finding out more about that and what sort of price it is

lelebo
31-Dec-09, 19:30
Hi Dragonfly - I've currently got about 15 clients at varying stages of the HypnoBand and they're all doing great :) I offer a free consultation prior to any treatment so if you want to have a chat, just call in to the shop or ring on 01955 605184 (we're actually closed now until Tuesday though). Some more info here too :)

http://www.alternativevitality.co.uk/hypnoband-1039-p.asp

Kathy@watten
31-Dec-09, 20:22
Wow had no idea this was available locally....a big stress off the cards at the thought of driving South! Will definately be looking into vitalities services, looks good and there are other treatments I fancy on the website....thanks for that will be in touch soon!

brandy
31-Dec-09, 22:00
what about if your diabetic? is it still safe to have the treatment for the hypnoband?
or is their alternatives.. really need to loose weight but just cant seem to get there!

Alice in Blunderland
31-Dec-09, 22:39
I had hypnotherapy during my first pregnancy and it did help relax when in labour. :D

sassylass
01-Jan-10, 01:41
At first glance, I thought the title said 'hypothermia'....what does that say about me? Guess I'll go put on my mittens.

highlander
01-Jan-10, 01:59
No, sassy try putting more water in that dram lol

EDDIE
01-Jan-10, 02:01
I had hypnotherapy to stop smoking eighteen months ago, it worked for me, from 30-0 in 90 mins. Cost £190 but worth every penny. :)

Some people want me to go again and see if he can make me stop talking pish. :cool:

I think when your trying to give up an addiction i dont think there is any magic cure to make the withdrawal symtims go away and a lot of people think Hypnotherapy is a painless easy option i believe a lot to do with giving up an addiction is you really have to want to stop before things like Hypnotherapy and other treatments work
I was on 40 a day and im 1year and half stopped smoking

lelebo
04-Jan-10, 12:16
Brandy - hypnoband is perfectly safe if you're diabetic - if anything, it will make you more aware of your eating and therefore able to stick to your recommended diet more easily.

Eddie - you are absolutely righ - hypnotherapy is not magic and it can't make you do anything that you wouldn't be able to do anyway - what it can do is make it easier and give your willpower the boost it needs to make changes

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 13:06
My experience is that if you want to lose weight in an appropriate manner then do so with an appropriate eating plan, with exercise, understanding calories you consume and expend, and your lifestyle factors etc. All of which you can get for free, or speak to your GP etc about.

I've been involved in clinical hypnotherapy for around 15 years, and can count on my fingers the amount of times we have used it for weight loss, we always advocate proper lifestyle than hypnosis for a variety of reasons, and i personally feel it's better to educate than feed into a quick fix scenario. Hypnosis basically taps into suggestibility, and I would rather have people adopt a healthy understanding of their physiology, response mechanism etc, than fuel their suggestibility that they NEED a virtual gastric band....

I personally find the hypnoband and previous incarnations difficult to justify, given that often practitioners charge anywhere from 150 to 500 pounds for sessions, and basically utilise what they would in any other hypnotic sessions, such as planning, outcome, direct/indirect suggestions etc. I find this type of work as mere marketing and taking advantage of individuals, and a blot on the landscape of clinical hypnotherapy, a field that is becoming more gimmicky each and every week.

porshiepoo
04-Jan-10, 14:19
I tried Hypnotherapy many years ago for weight loss. I took a friend along as it was at a guys house and I think she got more out of the sessions than i did. Having said that we both came out of the place gaging for a Roast Chicken dinner - every time! So I dread to think what the man had suggested to us in our hypnotic state.

Thinking about it, what was the point in me actually taking someone if we were both bloomin hypnotised :confused

porshiepoo
04-Jan-10, 14:25
My experience is that if you want to lose weight in an appropriate manner then do so with an appropriate eating plan, with exercise, understanding calories you consume and expend, and your lifestyle factors etc. All of which you can get for free, or speak to your GP etc about.

I've been involved in clinical hypnotherapy for around 15 years, and can count on my fingers the amount of times we have used it for weight loss, we always advocate proper lifestyle than hypnosis for a variety of reasons, and i personally feel it's better to educate than feed into a quick fix scenario. Hypnosis basically taps into suggestibility, and I would rather have people adopt a healthy understanding of their physiology, response mechanism etc, than fuel their suggestibility that they NEED a virtual gastric band....

I personally find the hypnoband and previous incarnations difficult to justify, given that often practitioners charge anywhere from 150 to 500 pounds for sessions, and basically utilise what they would in any other hypnotic sessions, such as planning, outcome, direct/indirect suggestions etc. I find this type of work as mere marketing and taking advantage of individuals, and a blot on the landscape of clinical hypnotherapy, a field that is becoming more gimmicky each and every week.

I completely agree with you there. Lifestyle choices has to be better than suggestibility.
My problem though is where to learn about those lifestyle choices?
Do we learn them from diet clubs? If so, why do we revert back to our wicked ways once we stop going?
For instance, at the moment I have literally just begun a fitness regime with the intention of running a 10k in May and hopefully a half marathon later in the year, plus a 450km, 5 day cycle ride next year. Where the heck do I learn about the nutrition I need to be able to do this? I'm assuming I need more carbs but diet clubs may encourage me to steer away from that?
Positively mind boggling unfortunately. I guess trial and error is the way to go.

I know one thing though, I've wasted enough money on Hypnotherapy. I saw it as an easy solution and it simply isn't.

changilass
04-Jan-10, 14:43
The other thing to bear in mind is that it doesn't work for everyone, a doc years ago tried to hypnotise me and it didn't work and when I tried it again more recently, agian it failed to work.

Some folks, like me are just plain awkward and won't go under - even when they want to lol

Luckily for me, on both occassions I wasn't in a position where I was having to pay for the experience.

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 14:50
Porshiepoo, drop me an email and ill take you through nutrition for training etc. Its an area i have been working on and do a lot of work with clients in several areas, such as runners, MMA guys etc.

I have just become accredited as a level 2 fitness instructor with the register of exercise professionals and will later this month be putting on a free workshop at the medical surgery on nutrition and exercise.

gleeber
04-Jan-10, 14:55
I find this type of work as mere marketing and taking advantage of individuals, and a blot on the landscape of clinical hypnotherapy, a field that is becoming more gimmicky each and every week.
Pot kettle and black comes to mind Andrew.
Andrew and lelebo have one thing in common. They are tapping into a huge demand for psychological help that the modern world has unearthed Its big business and much of it is controversial. Andrew though hides behind a cloak of respectability because of the signature he uses in his daily job as a manager of a respected NHS practice. Hes also well versed in the area of what used to be known as quack medicine when I was a boy.
Dont let that fool you. I suspect you will get as good a service. and as much chance of success with lelebo as with Andrew Usher and the Dunbeath medical practice.

changilass
04-Jan-10, 15:00
Wether it works for you or not you will have much more money left in your pocket with Andrew.

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 15:05
Pot kettle and black comes to mind Andrew.
Andrew and lelebo have one thing in common. They are tapping into a huge demand for psychological help that the modern world has unearthed Its big business and much of it is controversial. Andrew though hides behind a cloak of respectability because of the signature he uses in his daily job as a manager of a respected NHS practice. Hes also well versed in the area of what used to be known as quack medicine when I was a boy.
Dont let that fool you. I suspect you will get as good a service. and as much chance of success with lelebo as with Andrew Usher and the Dunbeath medical practice.

Gleeber, i dont own a cloak! As discussed many times with you, we provide services under a NHS framework, which means for patients of our practice they get access to two forms of complementary medicine, Homeopathy with Dr Usher, and hypnotherapy with myself. I have for some time not taken on any private patients, other than from GP or allied professional referal, and the majority of them do not pay for the service, and if they are such inclined we suggest a donation to the medical equipment fund.

As stated many times to you, all services work in conjunction with their conventional medical treatment plans and not as an isolated service. We are not in the quackery business that you so seem to have a soft spot for :).

lelebo
04-Jan-10, 16:41
Andrew

I'm sorry you have not had success with hypnotherapy for weight loss. Many of my clients have been lucky enough to do very well with it - my first hypnoband client started three months ago and has lost almost three stones, my second and third have lost about a stone and a half to two in a couple of months. I have several others at varying stages who are all consistently losing. Ongoing support is a key part of our system. Our sessions all encourage good nutrition and exercise and we have a nutritionist we can refer clients to for additional advice as well as a local personal trainer for advice on exercise. Clients can also of course access advice on diet and nutrition from their GPs. Nothing works for everyone and as I mentioned in a previous post, hypnotherapy is not magic, it is an aid to success.

You make assumptions about my techniques and way of working - without having undergone hypnotherapy with me, I fail to see how you could do so.

I'm delighted to hear that you've added yet another string to your bow and that you are in the fortunate position of being able to offer all your services for free and wish you every success for the future.

breeze
04-Jan-10, 16:47
Andrew, you always seem to attack other people on this forum. Is this a sign of your own insecurity? To try to advance your own business by putting others down surely is the wrong way to go about it.
I have been to one of your workshops before and never went back as I felt that it was purely an excercise in your own self promotion.
I noticed from your profile on this website http://www.nlpconnections.com/members/andrew-usher.html
that you claim to be the only practising complimentary therapist in Caithness!?!? You obviously know this is not true. Are you purposely trying to mislead the public?

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 17:29
Andrew

I'm sorry you have not had success with hypnotherapy for weight loss. Many of my clients have been lucky enough to do very well with it - my first hypnoband client started three months ago and has lost almost three stones, my second and third have lost about a stone and a half to two in a couple of months. I have several others at varying stages who are all consistently losing. Ongoing support is a key part of our system. Our sessions all encourage good nutrition and exercise and we have a nutritionist we can refer clients to for additional advice as well as a local personal trainer for advice on exercise. Clients can also of course access advice on diet and nutrition from their GPs. Nothing works for everyone and as I mentioned in a previous post, hypnotherapy is not magic, it is an aid to success.

You make assumptions about my techniques and way of working - without having undergone hypnotherapy with me, I fail to see how you could do so.

I'm delighted to hear that you've added yet another string to your bow and that you are in the fortunate position of being able to offer all your services for free and wish you every success for the future.

Hi Donna,
As stated before we dont use hypnosis for weight management, so it would be difficult for me to quantify its validity in our practice, but as i mentioned before my personal feeling is that it would be better for a client or patient to have an understanding of nutrition before a virtual band. I would also think that seeing a personal trainer and nutritionist, would be cheaper than a hypnoband session. I am not making assumptions of your practice, i am stating a personal opinion of what i feel hypnoband and its alternatives are.

onecalledk
04-Jan-10, 17:34
without wishing to add fuel to what looks like an already raging fire could i just add that since we are all individual and unique human beings with our own psychological make up that not ONE therapy or route will work for all people ?

We need to find our own truths in life and what is one persons truth will not be another persons truth ie what works for one will not work for another.

If people have found something that works for them then that is grand. But to try to convert the rest of the people to that one route is egotistical.

I think the original poster was looking for support and some advice? Support and advice appears losts in a maze of point scoring now .......

perhaps time to end the thread ?

K

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 17:37
Andrew, you always seem to attack other people on this forum. Is this a sign of your own insecurity? To try to advance your own business by putting others down surely is the wrong way to go about it.
I have been to one of your workshops before and never went back as I felt that it was purely an excercise in your own self promotion.
I noticed from your profile on this website http://www.nlpconnections.com/members/andrew-usher.html
that you claim to be the only practising complimentary therapist in Caithness!?!? You obviously know this is not true. Are you purposely trying to mislead the public?

Good Day Breeze,
I see this is your first post, welcome to Caithness.Org.
I am sorry to hear you did not like my worskshop, but find it odd you say you didnt go back, as they are normally only one day events, and usually you dont get to repeat a workshop due to demand etc. I would be curious to know which workshop you attended, and would appreciate your feedback. Its actually been a while since we held a workshop, possibly even a year.

As for nlp connections, then that is a blast from the past, been a long time since i was on that forum, but you have read my profile wrong, it says:

"Based in Caithness we have a busy practice based at Dunbeath Surgery, where my wife in the Principal GP and i the non GP partner. We are the only practice in Caithness that offers complementary medicine, such as Hypnotherapy, NLP, Clinical Nutrition and Homeopathy. Both of us teach internationally and have a passion for life and teaching"

As far as i am aware, and when i posted that profile, which going by the photo of me and my son, was several years ago ( he is about 11 months in that photo, and is now 4) we are the only medical practice in Caithness that alongside conventional NHS treatment offers Complementary sessions such as stated.

lelebo
04-Jan-10, 20:30
Dear Andrew

Please see below an extract from the professional code of conduct from the General Hypnotherapy Register of which I am and I believe you are a member. Perhaps you should consider it before making defamatory remarks

All practitioners shall undertake to:

21. Conduct themselves at all times in accord with their professional status and in such a

way as neither undermines public confidence in the process or profession of

hypnotherapy nor brings their professional body into disrepute.

22. Practitioners have the duty to protect the public and the profession from unethical,

unsafe or bad practice or behaviour. When offering criticisms or complaints about

colleagues, practitioners should utilise appropriate channels such as the complaints

procedures of professional bodies, or, where appropriate, Trading Standards or other

relevant bodies. Practitioners offering criticisms outside of these channels have the

duty to demonstrate that it is reasonable to do so. Practitioners must use due care

and diligence when offering criticisms and complaints to ensure that they are justified
and can be substantiated.

23. Respect the status of all other medical/healthcare professionals and the boundaries of their professional remit

Best wishes

Donna

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 20:41
Donna,
i am not a member of William Brooms GHR, never have been, and probably never will be. I am a member of the UKCHO, but doubt i will renew that, as realistically there is no single register, and i doubt it will ever come, and despite me being a proponent of legislation, i think its a minefield never to be resolved.

However, i am not making any defamatory marks, merely stating my opinion that in cases of weight management i think a nutritonal, lifestyle option is far better suited than the 101 forms of hypnosis for quick weight loss on the market, and i say that as someone whos been in the field for over 15 years.

dragonfly
04-Jan-10, 21:52
whether you are a member or not of GHR or UKCHO or any other body you are still a professional in the complimentary medicine field and as such you should not be undermining any other practioner.

People are entitled to take the information they are supplied with and make a choice that suits them and their lifestyle. If they choose one thing over another that is their choice

You have made your point, less is sometimes more......................

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 22:07
whether you are a member or not of GHR or UKCHO or any other body you are still a professional in the complimentary medicine field and as such you should not be undermining any other practioner.

People are entitled to take the information they are supplied with and make a choice that suits them and their lifestyle. If they choose one thing over another that is their choice

You have made your point, less is sometimes more......................

Pardon me, but i am not undermining anyone, i am merely expressing my own opinion, you are entitled to your opinion, as I, thats the purpose of a discussion board is it not, and this is the general discussion subsection of the forum.

The very reason i expressed my peronal opinion on this topic was based around your point in regard to information. Irrespective of being a 'professional' or other, we are still entitled to express our opinion on subject matter, thats the point of discussion.

dragonfly
04-Jan-10, 22:53
The very reason i expressed my peronal opinion on this topic was based around your point in regard to information.

and I have taken the information on the Alternative Vitality website and made a decision on it, I have also taken on board your comments about diet, nutrition etc

I feel that your negativity towards hypnoband is detrimental to lelebo's business, folk may read your comment, read your signature, see that you are in the medical field and decide that her services are not for them - that is what I mean by undermining.

People will always think about the easy option when it comes to weightloss as its harder to come off than it was to go on

A_Usher
04-Jan-10, 23:01
and I have taken the information on the Alternative Vitality website and made a decision on it, I have also taken on board your comments about diet, nutrition etc

I feel that your negativity towards hypnoband is detrimental to lelebo's business, folk may read your comment, read your signature, see that you are in the medical field and decide that her services are not for them - that is what I mean by undermining.

People will always think about the easy option when it comes to weightloss as its harder to come off than it was to go on

I think i have made my thoughts clear on this, but i would hope that anyone who undertakes any therapy or intervention would make sure its for them first, and read around the subject matter.

I understand also how hard it is to shift added weight, after a year of inactivity due to arthritis i put on 3 stone, went up to 14 stone 7. Last year i kicked myself in the butt, got my MMA class back up and running, and have since lost 3 stone through diet and exercise, in a controlled manner. In many respects i had no excuse as ive been a martial arts instructor for many years, well a fit fat martial arts instructor.

Its hard, but you can do it. I did it though goal setting, such as sitting reps 2 and 3 fitness and personal training exams, kind of forcing myself to get off my backend and loose the weight.

Best of luck with it.