PDA

View Full Version : My First Song Thrush

catherine nicol
31-Dec-09, 14:50
My new home dgarden has just had a visit from its first song thrush. Lovely bird.

Enjoying lots of chaffinches and starlings just now.

I have 4 blackbirds feeding regularly on pears and apples that I bought for them. They adore the pears. An old lady I was friendly with told me that she cuts up bananas and throws them out for the birds. I've tried that and they enjoy the bananas too.

The birds are enjoying the leftover mincemeat and mixed fruits and peel that I put out.

Must get more fat balls though, where can I buy them in bulk in Wick? I used to buy them from Jim Bews in Thurso.

Happy New Year.

cazmanian_minx
31-Dec-09, 16:57
Pets at Home do tubs of 50 as does the garden centre in Castletown. Or you can make your own - take a yoghurt pot, half fill with bird seed, stir in melted lard to top it up and then poke the end of a bit of string into the middle before it sets. Once it's set, push out of the yoghurt pot and tie up on the bird table.

Kenn
31-Dec-09, 20:57
Have also had a thrush visiting the last couple of days despite the fact that it's cousins, the blackbirds giving it a hard time
I make bird cakes from the left overs, a 1 pint pudding bowl, 3 slices of well soaked bread,some shredded suet, any bits of cooked veg,biscuit and cake crumbs with a sliced very ripe banana. Press all ingredients into the bowl, mix well, leave to stand for a few minutes and then turn out on the bird table.'
Guaranteed to cause mayhem in a matter of minutes.