PDA

View Full Version : Mildew!

Fluff
31-Dec-09, 14:06
I am hoping someone can help! In our shower there is a minging patch of mildew forming, every time I wipe it away it comes back with a vengeance.
Unfortunately it is on a painted surface, not tiled, so now the paint is starting to crack and come off.
My OH likes hot showers which I know do not help and we do not have a fan in the bathroom.

Can anyone offer advise as to how I should clean it or how I can get rid of it? I don't want to scrub it too hard encase more paint starts coming off, but I am getting worried as the patch is spreading out!

Leanne
31-Dec-09, 14:17
There is a good one - Dettox mould and mildew remover. I think it is basically just bleach though... The bleach takes away the black colour and stops it coming back for a while.

BINBOB
31-Dec-09, 15:05
There is a good one - Dettox mould and mildew remover. I think it is basically just bleach though... The bleach takes away the black colour and stops it coming back for a while.

That is what I use,it is relatively good.

poppett
31-Dec-09, 20:30
I used to buy dettox mould and mildew remover, but have found neat bleach does the job just as well. I put it on, leave the bathroom well ventilated for about half an hour, then rinse off without effort.

Fluff
02-Jan-10, 18:31
Are these products safe on painted surfaces, or would it peel it all off?

Liz
02-Jan-10, 20:12
Here is a recipe for a natural midlew remover.http://www.ehow.com/how_4849641_natural-mildew-remover.html

Maybe you could test it out on an inconspicuous area first?

Do you open the bathroom window a wee bit when taking a shower as this should help stop the mildew building up?

cuddlepop
02-Jan-10, 21:40
Our bathroom is terrible for mildew too and have used neat bleach it works for a wee while but alwas comes back.

Our biggest problem is in our fron bedroom the mildew is awfull all along the ceiling of the outside wall,above our window and in the wardrobe.

Lastyear the council put vents in our ceiling which havent worked.Told us to put the heating on more,open the windows more and/or put a dehumidifierer on....well seeing there not paying for our electric.:mad:

This is our third winter of "black misery" :~(

Doctor is now writting to Housing Officer as I'm sure its aggrevating my sinus problem having to sleep in this room.:(

Liz
03-Jan-10, 00:21
What a shame Cuddlepop.:(

It definitely won't be helping your sinusitis so hope you can get this sorted out soon.

cuddlepop
03-Jan-10, 10:43
What a shame Cuddlepop.:(

It definitely won't be helping your sinusitis so hope you can get this sorted out soon.

Thanks Liz,its starting to affect how I feel about this house too and no one would swap with us with this room in such a state.

Even when we wash it Its back within the week,roll on April when it dissappears till November.:)

Blarney
04-Jan-10, 16:28
The secret is to dry off the shower after EVERY use. Wipe down the area with your bath towel when you've finished and you won't have any problems but you MUST open a window to let the condensation out too.

H
04-Jan-10, 18:17
Hi

I use a product that I bought from Lakeland (link attached) but I think you can also buy it from Serendipitiy in Thurso. It seems to kill the mildew and prevents is from growing back.

Cheers

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/mould-remover/F/C/cleaning-protecting/C/cleaning-protecting-speciality-cleaning/product/20284

Fluff
04-Jan-10, 18:55
Brilliant, thanks H. We have a Lakeland in Reading so I think I may just have to take a wee look!