PDA

View Full Version : D.v.l.a.

Mik.M.
31-Dec-09, 06:34
Has anyone had dealings with the DVLA`s Medical Department after they have revoked your driving licence on medical grounds? I had an operation back in June and couldn`t drive for a while.I got permission to drive the car but was told I`d have to wait for the DVLA to clear me on my PSV/LGV licences.I had a medical a couple of weeks ago at their request and that doctor said he can see no reason why I can not return to work but the DVLA say different.I`ve since been told that they will be revoking these but I can keep my normal licence.Not much good for me as it puts me out of work.I`ve been told to wait for a letter explaining their reasons and my doctor says that if it is the case then I can appeal.Just wondered if anyone can give advice as I don`t want to have to find another job in the present economic climate.Mik.

Boozeburglar
31-Dec-09, 07:55
One of my friends lost his on the basis of age, and had to undertake a medical to regain them. Do you have to have a specific medical by their approved doc for the other licenses? It seems strange that the medical you took was not enough.

EDDIE
31-Dec-09, 09:00
Boozeburglar there is a medical test u need to do to to get a p.s.v or h.g.v i just dont understand this if a doctor says your fit to drive then you are unless there is new regulations out that the doctor isnt aware of.
Ask a silly question if you had an operation in june and you are signed off why did you inform dvla of your health problems if there going to be temporay.

Mik.M.
31-Dec-09, 09:14
Eddie,the op I had DVLA have to be told.BB,the medical was asked for by them and was with their appointed doctor in Wick.

Loafer
31-Dec-09, 14:01
Has anyone had dealings with the DVLA`s Medical Department after they have revoked your driving licence on medical grounds? I had an operation back in June and couldn`t drive for a while.I got permission to drive the car but was told I`d have to wait for the DVLA to clear me on my PSV/LGV licences.I had a medical a couple of weeks ago at their request and that doctor said he can see no reason why I can not return to work but the DVLA say different.I`ve since been told that they will be revoking these but I can keep my normal licence.Not much good for me as it puts me out of work.I`ve been told to wait for a letter explaining their reasons and my doctor says that if it is the case then I can appeal.Just wondered if anyone can give advice as I don`t want to have to find another job in the present economic climate.Mik.

Hi Mik

I have had MAJOR dealings over the last 10 years with the lovely folk of the DVLA medical dept. Nice, aren't they? If, like me, you know there is no reason why you shouldn't have your licence, contact John Thurso (or your local MP). I previously had Robert Maclennan to thank for sorting it out and John has helped too. In fact, his secretary Maggie got it fixed in a phonecall to Swansea the last time I had grief.

Good luck

The Loafer

Mik.M.
31-Dec-09, 19:50
A big Thank You to Dr Wallace from the Prince St Surgery,who gave the DVLA a kick up the arse,they are sorting it out.Let`s see if I get an apology for screwing up our Christmas due to their incompetance and lack of communication between themselves.Not holding my breath on that though.Mik.

poppett
31-Dec-09, 20:24
Government agency = Law unto themselves.

Glad someone stepped in to help as the DVLA are a nightmare.

When we moved house our licences went off recorded delivery in the same envelope.........mine was re-issued, OH completely lost from their computer records and dispite proving in five different ways he had a full licence he had to re-sit his driving test after 43 years of driving. Seems he is not alone.

Good luck, and by the way am pleased your operation was a success.

Bobinovich
31-Dec-09, 20:26
...and by the way am pleased your operation was a success.

Well that's just a matter of opinion [lol]

northener
31-Dec-09, 20:46
The medical section of the DVLA are a waste of space. A near neighbour of mine was kept waiting for about 4 months before they would clear him to drive - even though his doc had OK'd him from the outset.

No apology, no explanation regarding the delay, nothing.

Loafer
01-Jan-10, 15:34
A big Thank You to Dr Wallace from the Prince St Surgery,who gave the DVLA a kick up the arse,they are sorting it out.Let`s see if I get an apology for screwing up our Christmas due to their incompetance and lack of communication between themselves.Not holding my breath on that though.Mik.

Good stuff Mik...here's hoping

The Loafer

Mik.M.
01-Jan-10, 18:57
Well that's just a matter of opinion [lol]
Bobinovich,Automask prevents me from answering your post but I will give you my answer in person.I think you can already guess most of it.;)