PDA

View Full Version : The Portland Arms vs Vegetarians

gordieg
30-Dec-09, 23:35
Decided at the start of the week to try out the new and improved Portland Arms Hotel, Lybster and left appauled having not finished our meal.

Disappointed at the one vegetarian "option" for my two life-long vegetarian diners, we asked the waitress to see if chef could offer an alternative. The young waitress returned promptly and additional choice of "vegetarian lasagne" was offered. Perfect. When the meal arrived it was clear to us that it was a beef lasagne that had been serve!! Not perfect.

The young waitress appologised personally for the mistake and we were happy to wait for the replacement vegetarian meals. When the meal arrived we were suprised to find two spinach and ricotta caneloni's. Not quite a vegetarian lasagne! All eyes were on our table as the manager openily discussed the "young waitresses" short comings with the six other diners. Very embarassing.

We called over the manager (Pedro) and when we explained this was not the meal we were offered or accepted his reply was "we do not serve a vegetarian lasagne". He promptlybegan listing other vegetarian meals we could have had that evening "that we have as a back up" (obviously kept frozen for emergencies!). Pedro blamed the mistake on the "young waitress" and the fact they were busy (all of 10 diners in total) which they had not expected. After being publically humiliated we left without finishing the meal and left with the sound of the manager marching young staff through the back for a word!

We found the meal disappointing and the attitude of the manager towards the young staff members appauling and I would hasten any people with special dietary requirements to go elsewhere.

shazzap
30-Dec-09, 23:51
Decided at the start of the week to try out the new and improved Portland Arms Hotel, Lybster and left appauled having not finished our meal.

Disappointed at the one vegetarian "option" for my two life-long vegetarian diners, we asked the waitress to see if chef could offer an alternative. The young waitress returned promptly and additional choice of "vegetarian lasagne" was offered. Perfect. When the meal arrived it was clear to us that it was a beef lasagne that had been serve!! Not perfect.

The young waitress appologised personally for the mistake and we were happy to wait for the replacement vegetarian meals. When the meal arrived we were suprised to find two spinach and ricotta caneloni's. Not quite a vegetarian lasagne! All eyes were on our table as the manager openily discussed the "young waitresses" short comings with the six other diners. Very embarassing.

We called over the manager (Pedro) and when we explained this was not the meal we were offered or accepted his reply was "we do not serve a vegetarian lasagne". He promptlybegan listing other vegetarian meals we could have had that evening "that we have as a back up" (obviously kept frozen for emergencies!). Pedro blamed the mistake on the "young waitress" and the fact they were busy (all of 10 diners in total) which they had not expected. After being publically humiliated we left without finishing the meal and left with the sound of the manager marching young staff through the back for a word!

We found the meal disappointing and the attitude of the manager towards the young staff members appauling and I would hasten any people with special dietary requirements to go elsewhere.

I can recommend a very nice place to eat.
The Brown Trout Watten.
Myself and OH have tried various establishments since moving to Caithness, and by far the best has been the Brown Trout.

Kevin Milkins
01-Jan-10, 23:08

Mmm, that's interesting.

The Portland Arms is a place we have only visited for a car boot sale and I thought it would be a good place to go for a "special night out", as it has had a lot of good recommendations lately.

Sorry to hear that your experience was not what you had hoped for and hope it's just a one off.:confused

Smithy
02-Jan-10, 03:55
The Brown Trout is excellent for food, great friendly service, reasonably priced worth a visit, we usually book first just to ensure a table

henry20
03-Jan-10, 20:10
I know of someone who has stayed regularly in the Portland arms for the last 15 years while up on business and she was disgusted by the way she was treated by the manager the last time she stayed.

roadbowler
08-Jan-10, 18:35
aye, the portland can come and go. However, last time i was in just after hogmanay i had the carrot and pinenut loaf and it was served with a (i believe) oyster mushroom sauce that was to die for. Really, really good. They've switched the menu around quite a bit the past few years and unfortunately there are now less veggie options than there used to be. Quality and consistency does come and go there but, that'll be down to the chef. I've worked in many a restaurants in my day and ken how it is. cannae get upset about the young waittress tho, could have been her first night for all you know! Have had relatives stay there and they've all been delighted so, canna say anything bad about it there either. Think the place is an asset to lybster really!

gordieg
08-Jan-10, 18:53
What upset us most during our visit was the managers attitude to his young staff. It was him who blamed the mistakes on her and made a show of marching the staff through the back where they were to recieve a roasting. We personally apologised to the staff to make them aware none of the issues were her fault.