PDA

View Full Version : boxing day tsunami 2004

annemarie482
30-Dec-09, 23:11
i'm watching the "tsunami caught on camera" on channel 4, to remember the tsunami victims from boxing day 2004. it has me in tears. it's taken from the holiday makers videos, and them telling their stories. heart breaking and shocking at the same time.
anyone else watching it?

dragonfly
30-Dec-09, 23:18
yes, its so sad. I was crying along with the woman who lost hold of her little daughter, Isabella, when the tsunami hit in Sri Lanka - how terrible to go on a family holiday only to come back without your baby :(

Phill
30-Dec-09, 23:40
Harrowing, unimaginable and painful.

bekisman
31-Dec-09, 00:01
Yes, just watched the programme, very, very moving..

Still makes me angry that there are fools around like John MacLeod:

"A Presbyterian church minister caused anger after he compared the Asian tsunami to Noah’s flood and claimed it was an act of God to punish “pleasure seekers” who broke the Sabbath. The Rev John MacLeod, 74, a senior minister in the fundamentalist Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, said that the disaster, which claimed 226,000 lives in 13 countries on Boxing Day, was a “divine visitation that ought to make men tremble the world over”.
He said that God was “no idle spectator of what is happening here and He treats men with sharpness and severity in order that they may know their vices." Some of the places most affected by this tsunami attracted pleasure seekers from all over the world. “It has to be noted that the wave arrived on the Lord’s Day, the day that God has set apart to be observed the world over by a holy resting from all employments and recreations.” He said that God had sent a flood in the days of Noah to punish sinners and had “rained fire and brimstone from heaven upon Sodom” for the same reason."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article512563.ece (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article512563.ece)

wickscorrie
31-Dec-09, 00:05
its makes you feel like a voyuer to sit and watch these programs I can watch these with a degree of detachment but then , the mother of isabella, my heart aches to feel her pain it brings it home so immediately.

the power of nature is overwhelming!

joxville
31-Dec-09, 03:44
It was a helluva half-pipe though. :eek:

porshiepoo
31-Dec-09, 15:47
Amazing stories - we watched it too.

Did anyone else get shivers when the little girl was asked what her present was that she'd just opened and it was a Noah's Ark. Spooky!

Has to make you appreciate just how delicate life is.

onecalledk
31-Dec-09, 15:55
couldnt bring myself to watch it, the trailer for the documentary was reminder enough. Its unimaginable the horror of watching nature in full force. I remember turning on the tv when it happened and wondering what disaster film was on then quickly realised it was the news and REAL life.

We can never win against mother nature no matter how advanced and civilised our society. Once again a reminder to appreciate and gives thanks for all you have in your life today..

Angel
31-Dec-09, 15:56
I realise that the producers of the programme dramatise the events by editing and presenting it in such a way as to move us voyers emotionally, so I tried to take these methods on board and detach myself from it all.

I failed miserably, 20 mins into the programme I was in tears.

It needed to be shown as a reminder of how powerful nature is and how vunerable we really are...

Angel...

Mik.M.
31-Dec-09, 19:54
Yes, just watched the programme, very, very moving..

Still makes me angry that there are fools around like John MacLeod:

"A Presbyterian church minister caused anger after he compared the Asian tsunami to Noah’s flood and claimed it was an act of God to punish “pleasure seekers” who broke the Sabbath. The Rev John MacLeod, 74, a senior minister in the fundamentalist Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, said that the disaster, which claimed 226,000 lives in 13 countries on Boxing Day, was a “divine visitation that ought to make men tremble the world over”.
He said that God was “no idle spectator of what is happening here and He treats men with sharpness and severity in order that they may know their vices." Some of the places most affected by this tsunami attracted pleasure seekers from all over the world. “It has to be noted that the wave arrived on the Lord’s Day, the day that God has set apart to be observed the world over by a holy resting from all employments and recreations.” He said that God had sent a flood in the days of Noah to punish sinners and had “rained fire and brimstone from heaven upon Sodom” for the same reason."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article512563.ece (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article512563.ece)
Church Minister John Macleod,what a knob!

northener
31-Dec-09, 21:00
Church Minister John Macleod,what a knob!

I'll second that. These religious throwbacks are nothing short of disgusting. They'd have us back in the Dark Ages iside a couple of years if they were allowed to govern. Another nail in the coffin of the Church.