PDA

View Full Version : Drinking.

shazzap
30-Dec-09, 17:08
My dog Dougal doesn't drink very much at all and i find this a little worrying, he also has bad breath.

Are the two related?

I have seen tablets to put in your pets water for bad breath, what do other orgers recommend?

Nibbler
31-Dec-09, 12:06
Hi Shazzap

I am by no stretch of the imagination qualified to answer this but will offer the following.

Has this just started recently with Dougal or has it been going on for a while. Reason I ask is my parents have two dogs. One doesn't drink at lot at all and the other drinks like a fish!!!! It has been like that for ages and there is nothing 'wrong' with them - its just the way they are.

The one that doesn't drink a lot does tend to have a bit of bad breath but it is the dog food I can smell from her breath and her teeth are not the best - she is getting on in years.

As for the tablets, my concern would be if they flavour the water at all (normally stuff like that dont taste too good) it may put Dougal off his water even more.

Your question - Are the two related?? To be honest, I really dont know.

Are you worried Dougal may start to be dehydrated?

I am sure other orgers will have more useful responses than mine :roll:.

shazzap
31-Dec-09, 12:53
Hi Shazzap

I am by no stretch of the imagination qualified to answer this but will offer the following.

Has this just started recently with Dougal or has it been going on for a while. Reason I ask is my parents have two dogs. One doesn't drink at lot at all and the other drinks like a fish!!!! It has been like that for ages and there is nothing 'wrong' with them - its just the way they are.

The one that doesn't drink a lot does tend to have a bit of bad breath but it is the dog food I can smell from her breath and her teeth are not the best - she is getting on in years.

As for the tablets, my concern would be if they flavour the water at all (normally stuff like that dont taste too good) it may put Dougal off his water even more.

Your question - Are the two related?? To be honest, I really dont know.

Are you worried Dougal may start to be dehydrated?

I am sure other orgers will have more useful responses than mine :roll:.

Thank you for your reply.

Liz
31-Dec-09, 13:55
First of all I agree with everything Nibbler has said. Great advice.

If Dougal is eating a wet food then he is probably getting plenty of water from this.

Dogs tend to drink more in the summer when they are hot.

Re his bad breath there could be a few causes for this and the first thought would be bad teeth so best to check and seek veterinary advice.

I use PlaqueOff on my pets and it does help.

shazzap
31-Dec-09, 14:21
First of all I agree with everything Nibbler has said. Great advice.

If Dougal is eating a wet food then he is probably getting plenty of water from this.

Dogs tend to drink more in the summer when they are hot.

Re his bad breath there could be a few causes for this and the first thought would be bad teeth so best to check and seek veterinary advice.

I use PlaqueOff on my pets and it does help.

Thank you.

northener
31-Dec-09, 22:08
They're all different when it comes to drinking. As long as they have constant access to fresh water, dogs will self-regulate. Over drinking can be a problem but I've never known a dog not drink enough.

A good guideline is between 40-60ml of water per kilo of the dogs weight per day. But like I said, they are all different. Our mutt is over 60ml and there's absolutely nothing wrong with her.

Whether you're feeding dry food or tinned meat can alter their intake too.

Regarding bad breath, I'd get the vet to check out the dogs teeth, it could be an abcess or gum infection.

shazzap
31-Dec-09, 22:15
They're all different when it comes to drinking. As long as they have constant access to fresh water, dogs will self-regulate. Over drinking can be a problem but I've never known a dog not drink enough.

A good guideline is between 40-60ml of water per kilo of the dogs weight per day. But like I said, they are all different. Our mutt is over 60ml and there's absolutely nothing wrong with her.

Whether you're feeding dry food or tinned meat can alter their intake too.

Regarding bad breath, I'd get the vet to check out the dogs teeth, it could be an abcess or gum infection.

Cheers.
I have found if i add a drop of milk he will drink.
Regarding his breath his teeth are fine, i have only had him a few months and he is three, so i think it might have been the case of a previous bad diet. I only feed him dog food and dog treats, eg rawhide he was apparently given a lot of human food.
His breath is a lot better then when i first got him.

BINBOB
31-Dec-09, 22:48
Cheers.
I have found if i add a drop of milk he will drink.
Regarding his breath his teeth are fine, i have only had him a few months and he is three, so i think it might have been the case of a previous bad diet. I only feed him dog food and dog treats, eg rawhide he was apparently given a lot of human food.
His breath is a lot better then when i first got him.

Why not try these DENTISTIX???What breed is Dougal???

Some breeds get smelly jouls[spelling??????] .Im spaniels ,it is known as spaniels mouth..i use Nosolvalon antiseptic,from vet.Have used it over the years with my own spaniels.It is the lip folds that are too floppy,letting gunge/bacteria in.

Hope u solve the problem.

shazzap
31-Dec-09, 23:00
Why not try these DENTISTIX???What breed is Dougal???

Some breeds get smelly jouls[spelling??????] .Im spaniels ,it is known as spaniels mouth..i use Nosolvalon antiseptic,from vet.Have used it over the years with my own spaniels.It is the lip folds that are too floppy,letting gunge/bacteria in.

Hope u solve the problem.

He is a Yorkie.