PDA

View Full Version : Lybster

Tom Cornwall
29-Dec-09, 20:15
If there has been all the trouble, in the last 6 months, from these teenagers, in Lybster,as reported recently...I wonder why the police haven't got it sorted out by now...after all, Lybster's not a very big place, and I bet everyone knows who's causing all the trouble...it wasn't like it in my day...Lybster was a good place to stay...

taffy
29-Dec-09, 20:49
Ye it is a shame that a few youngsters are giving the village such a bad name. As far as I know the police have been given names and I hope this time something is done about it. There are a lot of lovely people in the village who do the best they can for the communitty just to have it thrown back in their faces by a bunch of vandals.[evil]

pat
29-Dec-09, 20:51
Problem is Lybster has so many people who have moved into the community but are terrifing the folk who have been living there for some time.

Wish folk behaved the way youngsters behaved when we were young in Lybster TC!!!

A quick scud round the lugs or the warning from PC Green to tell parents or any relation was enough to stop all of us doing anything borderline - respect and fear as we knew relations would be harder on us than PC Green.
Fear and intimidation or could not care less, until the folk start bothering them - it is a case of I'm all right Jack, no community spirit left in the community.

Stand up to the bullies and they soon get the message and as all bullies do - back down and away.

Kevin Milkins
29-Dec-09, 21:05
I am not suggesting that anyone should take up arms in an attempt to deal with the naughty boys, (or girls) of Lybster, but if there was ever a guy who could take no more nonsense, it was Charles Bronson.:eek:

Charles Bronson vs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-57Ivfwz8)Muggers

tonkatojo
29-Dec-09, 21:20
I am not suggesting that anyone should take up arms in an attempt to deal with the naughty boys, (or girls) of Lybster, but if there was ever a guy who could take no more nonsense, it was Charles Bronson.:eek:

Michael Caine is on the right track too. "Harry Brown" ;)

BRIE
30-Dec-09, 00:44
Problem is Lybster has so many people who have moved into the community but are terrifing the folk who have been living there for some time.

Wish folk behaved the way youngsters behaved when we were young in Lybster TC!!!

A quick scud round the lugs or the warning from PC Green to tell parents or any relation was enough to stop all of us doing anything borderline - respect and fear as we knew relations would be harder on us than PC Green.
Fear and intimidation or could not care less, until the folk start bothering them - it is a case of I'm all right Jack, no community spirit left in the community.

Stand up to the bullies and they soon get the message and as all bullies do - back down and away.

It does seem to have got worse recently & it seems to be school kids that are running riot, makes you wonder where the parents are whilst the kids are running amock! The problem is if anyone confronts them they just do something worse!
Cant really blame just the incomers though as there is a few locals that cause alot of the trouble, luckily the police are locking the idiots up now rather than just slapping their wrists.

goldenguernsey
30-Dec-09, 01:04
that was some film, enjoyed it and seeing an owld man make a difference, and what a difference lol

Tom Cornwall
30-Dec-09, 11:41
that was some film, enjoyed it and seeing an owld man make a difference, and what a difference lol

what film was that......:)

Venture
30-Dec-09, 11:49

If it's the Charles Bronson one it will be "Death Wish".

pat
30-Dec-09, 14:14
If the folk in Lybster area would contact the police everytime folk are 'not acting in an orderly manner or causing a breach of peace' the police will soon eventually start to answer if enough folk kept on contacting them - and the element causing the bother will disperse or stop whatever and eventually give up if they get bothered by police frequently.

It does take consistant and persistant reporting until enough is done about the problem.

Locking them up only costs the taxpayers. Make them give up time to do some community service, repair some of the damage they may have done or to improve their own community appearance - then see how they feel repairing it again if some other folk damage it again, repairing and renewing in their own local community seems to work.
Bother would soon stop as they know who is causing damage in their community to the work they have taken so long to complete.

Shabbychic
30-Dec-09, 17:24

And then there's Dexter. Don't know his phone number though. ;)

cuddlepop
30-Dec-09, 17:27
Its a terrible advert for Caithness,driving through lybster it looks such a lovely village.

Bring back the village bobby. maybe then the wee holigans wouldnt be so smart.

Mrs Bucket
30-Dec-09, 17:40
If there has been all the trouble, in the last 6 months, from these teenagers, in Lybster,as reported recently...I wonder why the police haven't got it sorted out by now...after all, Lybster's not a very big place, and I bet everyone knows who's causing all the trouble...it wasn't like it in my day...Lybster was a good place to stay...
I get an update of the Lybster goss as I used to live there I beleive the culprits are abusive and disurptive every where they go and they are gradually getting worse the older thet get modtly incommers

Anji
30-Dec-09, 17:56
Its a terrible advert for Caithness,driving through lybster it looks such a lovely village.

Bring back the village bobby. maybe then the wee holigans wouldnt be so smart.

Unfortunately the village bobby is no longer allowed to use his former method of yob control. He'd end up in court, more's the pity.

porshiepoo
30-Dec-09, 19:27
Why does it have to boil down to an "incomers" thing to many people?
Does it really matter where the people originated from? Is it going to make any difference to how they're sorted out??
Hmmmm, maybe they're both stupid questions really as there are many so called 'locals' who are still actively prejudiced against anyone that wasn't born and bred here, but IMO that just says more about the morals and standards of those who think like that, however that kind of mentality does not help the village, the county or indeed the country in the long run.

Give the kids something to do and maybe it may take them off the street and stop them from getting bored and making their own entertainment.
Lack of activities isn't an excuse for destructive, abusive behaviour I understand that but there really is no other outlet for the energies and imagination of youngsters.
I believe it's even more important for youth groups and such in communities that are kind of isolated from the main towns and the activities that are available there.
Include the youngsters in the community and I think there's a good chance that some of them will have a bit more respect for it.

Parents also have to be made to take responsibility for the kids that they keep having. We all know there are many families in the UK that produce kids for the benefit of social security but when they've plopped the sprogs the parenting seems to stop (if indeed it ever began) and with more and more 'kids' having babies it's no wonder they have no grounding and no respect.
Who knows, maybe some parents are over whelmed with their loutish, abusive kids and find it easier to just let them loose outside for as long as possible as often as possible. Perhaps some parents and subsequently their kids would benefit from some kind of parental support group?

Whatever the solution it'll never happen. Someone would have to put in the time and effort to start these groups and clubs and unfortunately we're of a day and age when we'd all just rather moan about our woes and the youth of today than doing anything constructive about them.

goldenguernsey
30-Dec-09, 21:13
The film is "Harry Brown" canny scary in parts too

pat
30-Dec-09, 21:16
When Tom lived in Lybster there were no youth groups in the village, so why say the younger folk require youth groups - use their imagination constructively as we used to do.
We did not get up to antisocial or disruptive behaviour, parents/guardians were strict and the thought of PC Green telling our parents anything was deterrent enough for us not to do anything.
Folk in the village would always know what the rest of the villagers were up to - whether we were fishing at the harbour, down Shelligoe or up the burn for a swim or guddling.
They would know who was in the pub, who was ill and who required shopping from Mrs Gunn to Roddy Morrisons and always kept idle hands/feet busy
Now they would be called Nosey Neighbours and told to "fly off" and mind their own business - the community spirit has gone somewhere else.

Time to get together and be Community Minded, get together and decide with the police and local councillors on a plan of action to clean up the village and get back to leading civilised lives again.

roadbowler
31-Dec-09, 02:04
pat, i agree with you but, i agree with porshiepoo too. Pat, you have reminicsed about the past idyllic lifestyle of the lybster bairns and true community spirit which almost sounds fairytale like these days. Because, all these traits of a good community have been criminalised now. A young lassie bringin the messages round an auld mannies house can't happen.... All of a sudden these days there is a suspicion. You cannae pick up the neighbour lad on a freezing, snowy day to gie him a lift because well, you need a special licence for that nowadays. It might be easy to look at the changes in lybster and blame it on incomers but, the picture is much bigger than that.

porshiepoo
31-Dec-09, 15:42
Unfortunately it's a sad state affairs the country is in right now.
There are loads of parents who don't actually parent their kids at all appropriately but do make those same kids aware of their rights and will defend them religiously. They're quite happy knowing that their kids are off their hands and outside for most of the day but should their kids cause anyone grief and that person dares to confront the kids, there would be hell to pay.
Joe public knows it so doesn't bother reprimanding kids and the kids know it so they have no fear of causing bother and have no respect.
Who makes the first move in changing the situation?????

Personally I believe it has to be the parents, but then there are many parents that are kids themselves and still emotionally and intellectually 'growing up' alongside their own.
It's a catch 22.