PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice mechanic

rs 2k
29-Dec-09, 14:25
Hi

My son has just left school and is looking for an apprentice as a mechanic

Anyone know of any garage looking for a 16 year old?

In Thurso area

he has been brought up with a mechanic step dad so knows quite a lot about cars already :D

Will b going to careers after holidays

Thanx

M R
29-Dec-09, 15:34
Get him (with some help) to write a letter to all the garages in the area, if it's anything like me he will be lucky to get 1 reply. Hopefully he will get a more positive response...

Good lucky to the young lad.

upolian
29-Dec-09, 15:40
walk into each garage armed with a cv,im sure they would appreciate a chat to see if hes really keen etc etc maybe ask about a placement to see how he does?

best of luck to him :)

M R
29-Dec-09, 15:42
He has just left school ! what would he have on his CV ?

upolian
29-Dec-09, 15:45

exams?you need grades to get an apprentiship ;) he may also have references from a work placement.....

and the rest..

rs 2k
29-Dec-09, 16:03
Cheers guys

He did a work placement through the school at county, but when that finished he wasn't impressed, pity colin couldn't keep him on coz he loved it there

Careers is the best bet i think so will have to go there after the hols

Thanx again

upolian
29-Dec-09, 16:07
Cheers guys

He did a work placement through the school at county, but when that finished he wasn't impressed, pity colin couldn't keep him on coz he loved it there

Careers is the best bet i think so will have to go there after the hols

Thanx again

a very good garage to gain experience at,will colin provide him with a reference?it all counts towards an apprentiship!

hope he finds something soon :D

rs 2k
29-Dec-09, 16:11
a very good garage to gain experience at,will colin provide him with a reference?it all counts towards an apprentiship!

Hopefully yeah

The school said colin was delighted with him so thats a good start :)

Cheers upolian

EDDIE
30-Dec-09, 11:36
exams?you need grades to get an apprentiship ;) he may also have references from a work placement.....

and the rest..

I havent got any grades been a mechanic over 20 years now these days getting an apprenticeship is hard because a lot of people dont take on now and a lot apprentices they get a test before they start to see if there mechancally minded.You dont really see apprentice jobs at the start of the year is usually half way through the year when the majority of people finish school.
I think when rs 2k son gets an interview its more important to show the person that interviewing him that hes keen and show it and try to get opportunity to tell the interviewer of any experience hes had fixing things thats what there looking for the last thing any garage wants is an apprentice without any go in them?

Grades do help u get a job but its not the end of the world if u dont have any.

EDDIE
30-Dec-09, 11:42

Exactly and thurso is a small place everyone nos everyone

dragonfly
30-Dec-09, 21:31

his grades, his experience thorough school and through helping his step dad, his interests, his personal details...........I made a CV for my son, who was in same year and same age as rs2k's, when he applied for a job as an apprentice mechanic locally, he was invited to interview, had an aptitude test consisting of English, Maths and Mechanical questions and then 2 further interviews.........he was successful and has been in the job for 3 months now and loves it even though he has oil engrained everywhere!

He has to go south for block release college and has tests at the end of each block which he has to pass. Not sure if it would be the same for all apprent mechanics now but assume it would be as its proof of learning/understanding

Hope he has some success RS2K and if he does get an interview make sure he puts an effort into researching the job so he can answer the relevant questions that will come up in any interview