PDA

View Full Version : Birdwatching Forum - what do you think.

catherine nicol
27-Apr-06, 22:39
I sent an email to Caithness.org tonight to enquire if we could have a new Birdwatching forum opened and wondered if anyone else out there would like to support my plea !

I am sure the more people who express an interest via replies to this thread the more likely we are to suceed.

Any supporters out there ?

Thanks

Catherine x

The email went something like this.....

I know that Julian is collating bird sightings etc for Caithness.org and the county but there are a lot of us amatuer birdwatchers out in the county and I wondered if we could have a forum for ourselves..........similar to that given to the Photographers amongst us. This way we could have various discussions on where to go, arrange local meets, share sightings, give each other advice on equipment etc etc etc.

This is an increasingly popular hobby and I really think that you will be pleasantly surprised at just how many hits you will get and just how much this hobby has taken off in the county.

I attended a NHC evening class for birdwatching and enjoyed it so much that I have gone back for 3 years in a row. We are a very friendly bunch and enjoy great crack out in the field and email each other (and Julian) very regularly.

Thanks to your website I discovered Julian's St Johns Pool and now that is a favourite haunt. Excellent venue and great cover.

Go on I dare you .......... give us our own forum. I know it will be a big hit with your members.

Thanks for considering.

Catherine

Mr P Cannop
27-Apr-06, 22:47
i support this i think i will be really good

dirdyweeker
28-Apr-06, 00:08
I have been watching this nest of bald eagles for the past couple of weeks. There are two eggs in the nest and they are due to hatch this week. Well one was due now and the other on the 30th. It has been very educational and compelling viewing.
Check it out
http://www.infotecbusinesssystems.com/wildlife/

Kenn
28-Apr-06, 00:53
Brilliant idea, it's 1 of the reasons we love Caithness so much..we also monitor several web cams around the world, watching ospreys,peregrines etc.
Can't wait to get to the hide at St John's Loch next time we are up.

JAWS
28-Apr-06, 14:02
I used to do a lot of Birdwatching. Then my wife found out! Ah well, good things never last. :(

Seriously though, I agree it would be a good idea.

golach
28-Apr-06, 15:33
I used to do a lot of Birdwatching. Then my wife found out! Ah well, good things never last. :(

Seriously though, I agree it would be a good idea.

Jaws I heard a rumour, mind ye only a slight rumour, 'at it was the birds that were too fast for you :lol:

pultneytooner
28-Apr-06, 17:01

Seriously though, I agree it would be a good idea. I had the same problem, jaws.:lol:
Maybe you should have a poll to find out if it would be worthwhile.

canuck
28-Apr-06, 17:03
JAWS and golach, (edit to include pultneytooner) the mods need to see the development of a less diverted thread here if they are going to take Catherine's request seriously. ;)

Yes, Catherine, I would support your proposal. I am not apt to contribute, but I love Caithness puffins, so I shall be keeping an eye out for posts along the puffin line.

pultneytooner
28-Apr-06, 17:41
Sorry, canuk:grin:, I'm not a twitcher but I'd give my full support, for what it's worth, if catherine wants to have a birdwatching forum.

carasmam
28-Apr-06, 20:31
I'd support it :D It would be good to learn from others who know more about our local birdies

Rheghead
29-Apr-06, 10:38
This idea is a good one. I have recently seen a hawfinch in my garden and I have had several caithnessian twitchers in my garden trying to see it for themselves though 2 unfortunate souls spent the whole day on the rheghead estate with no luck then left and mrs rheghead saw it 10 minutes after they'd gone LOL, so there is a demand for a special bird forum.

kas
29-Apr-06, 12:08
This could turn out to be excellent.
Not only would it only let us locals know what is about, but others from outside the county might see what we have up here and think about having a look for themselves.

The birdwatching pages recently set up on the org are great, and this would be the icing on the cake. It might even encourage more to try it.
Birdwatchers are sometimes given the reputation of being anoraks, and this is so untrue. Some of the characters I have met while birding are anything but anoraks.

Also some of the beauty spots I have discovered while birding are breathtaking and there is also the other things you see like mammals and cetaceans.

So hopefully the mods would give this some serious thought please, pretty please.

Cheers
Kas:lol:

catherine nicol
29-Apr-06, 22:44
Thanks to those of you who have backed my suggestion so far.

Niall has written to say that the Mods will have to wait and see how many positive responses I get before they give it further consideration..........so guys and gals get behind us 'tweeters' out there in the county and make our day.

I went out this morning at 6.00am and came home at 3.45pm. Who says there is nothing to do unless you par-take in alcohol !!! (Didn't get much housework done though but hey there is always tomorrow!)

I started my day at St Johns Pool bird hide, then to Dunnet Head. I stopped at the tea rooms for a cuppa and a blether with the owners, and learnt a lot about the goings on in the Dunnet and surrounding area. Never been to the tea rooms before, but this will certainly not be my first and last visit........great people, so friendly.

I travelled onto Brough Harbour, one of my favourite sites........it is so idyllic down there, I absolutely love this place. From there, I went onto Ham Harbour, looking for some of the birds Julian has hi-lighted on the birding pages.......saw loads of wheatears but alas no black tailed godwits. The scenery was fantastic what with the sun to warm both me and the colours of the water and surrounding countryside. Then onto Harrow Harbour.........Mey........Dunnet Beach........Castlehill Harbour........Castletown Garden Centre for some bird food, cheaper than in town too ..........Thurso Harbour............Scrabster Harbour.........and lastly, Sommerfield, for the groceries I had planned to buy at 8.00am !

Before I began birdwatching and going to the night classes I had no idea where any of the above Harbours were, hadn't even heard of them.

I saw deer at Dunnet Head, seals at Brough and Harrow Harbours.....so it isn't just birdies that I come across........lots of other wildlife and fauna......so like Kas says it can't be bad to advertise what the country has to offer other than pubs and restaurants.

I have learnt so much about the county. Birds. Wildlife. People.

An all round great hobby.

So again, I ask you, please vote for a Birdwatching Forum if you too want to learn more.

We could post our daily lists and have general chats about what we have seen or are hoping to see, others can educate and share their knowledge with us less informed.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

Rin x

ps

Cheers Kas. Mr Hawfinch, I will note your member name for future.......didn't realise, was looking for same name as on BF.....you crafty person ! See ya soon.

catherine nicol
29-Apr-06, 22:51
I had the same problem, jaws.:lol:
Maybe you should have a poll to find out if it would be worthwhile.

How do I go about setting up a poll?

Excellent idea........

Thanks

Rin x

Liz
29-Apr-06, 22:55
I think this is a great idea! I am not a Birdwatcher as such but love to watch the birds who come into my garden to feed and also whilst out for walks in the country and at the seaside.

It would be nice to see what species there are in Caithness and learn more about them.

Zambo
29-Apr-06, 22:57
I think it's a good idea.

I'm not a birdwatcher, but I am interested in wildlife and the countryside, so I enjoy reading posts about those subjects.

There is obviously some interest, so why not try it out to see if it's worthwhile?

sassylass
30-Apr-06, 03:44
lovvvve this idea...I enjoy birdwatching to no end. As a child I would pretend to be Snow White and sit still for ages, waiting for the birds to learn to trust me....bliss.

canuck
30-Apr-06, 04:27
How do I go about setting up a poll?

Excellent idea........

Thanks

Rin x

This is the forum information concerning polls from the FAQ section.

http://forum.caithness.org/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=poll&match=all&titlesonly=0

Good luck with it.

Sairheed
30-Apr-06, 06:33
I support the idea of a forum.

Ann
30-Apr-06, 09:38
Great idea Catherine! Good for us locals and good for the county!
Now where did I put that birdie book?.....

Cheers,
Ann (and Ben)

Niall Fernie
30-Apr-06, 17:49
Looks like a popular idea so...

The Caithness.Org Birdwatching Forum (http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63) is now open :)

Enjoy...

kas
30-Apr-06, 18:31
Thankyou very much.:o) :o)
I hope the people interested in birds use it. I know I will.

Liz
30-Apr-06, 19:14
Thanks Niall!

I will definitely use this forum.:)

Seabird
30-Apr-06, 19:26
I like to see more promotion of the fantastic diversity of wild life that can be found in the sea, along the coast and in the fields and peatlands of Caithness.
Any new idea is welcomed by me and should be encouraged by all.
I must admit i'm more interested in getting sealife pictures but i do take a fair few birdie shot also. (today it was Shelduck and a Wigeon at Gills Bay yesterday it was Porpoise and dolphins off Lybster) The less said about the latter the better.
Lets give it a GO!

catherine nicol
01-May-06, 17:31
Sincere thanks to everyone who expressed an interest in birdwatching and wildlife in general.

Without your input this new forum wouldn't have been implemented.

Just shows what can happen if enough people back a good idea.

Thanks again.

Enjoy the new forum and use it well, I know I will.

Between logging into caithness.org, www.birdguides.com and www.birdforum.net I will never be off the computer.

Happy birding.

Rin x