PDA

View Full Version : things you dont see

coastown
27-Apr-06, 15:19
looking back to my childhood, these are some things i dont think kids do anymore.
can you think of any more.
1 potato 2 potato.
hopscotch.
leapfrog.
playing with a ball against a wall.
marbles.

footie chick
27-Apr-06, 15:38
looking back to my childhood, these are some things i dont think kids do anymore.
1 potato 2 potato.
hopscotch.
leapfrog.
playing with a ball against a wall.**
marbles.

** wish my son didn't do this drives me mad thump thump thump[mad]

ice box
27-Apr-06, 15:44
kissing girles round eh back eh bike shed lol

paris
27-Apr-06, 18:12
Postmans knock, he he and cats cradle.

Ricco
27-Apr-06, 20:37
kissing girles round eh back eh bike shed lol

I remember 'Kiss - Catch' at Miller Academy. Nearly broke my leg trying to get away from one particular girl! I was dead shy then - would definitely not run away now!

krieve
28-Apr-06, 00:34
Hide and seek ,Red lights, whats the time mr wolf, british bulldogs, skipping i can't think of anymore at the moment.

dirdyweeker
28-Apr-06, 00:38
Kick e'cannie....was a very popular game MANY years ago. Spent many a night in Robertson Square / Seaforth Avenue playing this in the 50/60s

ice box
28-Apr-06, 00:39
another one is kreby love playing that

krieve
28-Apr-06, 00:40
I canna say i have played kick e'cannie, i played kick e'doorie though lol

ice box
28-Apr-06, 00:59
O yes kick e doorie night mind that what a laugh we used til have .

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Apr-06, 23:31
Jumping off the walls at the beach and thinking at the time that they were 60,000 feet high.Then ye walk by them as an adult and ye can look over them.

Dead Mans Fall...that was the game.ye would stand on the wall and the wee guy at the bottom would say how ye would like to be killed.Whoever did the most spectacular fall from the wall was the winner.Ma favourite was the grenade.

It was in Ayrshire,so it probably explains it all.:lol: :lol:

gee
29-Apr-06, 19:21
i used to play thunder and lightning... banging doors and then running away. murder ball and grass fights were good fun

2little2late
30-Apr-06, 13:36
All the local lads playing 20 aside football on the park.

mareng
01-May-06, 06:02
Jumping off the walls at the beach and thinking at the time that they were 60,000 feet high.Then ye walk by them as an adult and ye can look over them.

Dead Mans Fall...that was the game.ye would stand on the wall and the wee guy at the bottom would say how ye would like to be killed.Whoever did the most spectacular fall from the wall was the winner.Ma favourite was the grenade.

It was in Ayrshire,so it probably explains it all.:lol: :lol:

Good one! I remember that (embarrassingly).

JAWS
01-May-06, 14:40
Krieve, lots of kids still play 'hide and seek'. Trouble is that nowadays they play it with the local Bobbies! :grin:

grantyg
01-May-06, 17:56
Tell ya what you don`t see these days is white dog muck!

candyfloss
01-May-06, 18:13
Tell ya what you don`t see these days is white dog muck!
OMG [lol] [lol]
My kids were having a grass fight a few days ago,came home covered in the stuff

jings00
01-May-06, 20:53
think dog muck is more likely to be white if the dogs have been eatin bones. don't know if folk still give their dogs bones? when i was wee i used to think the white dog muck was from white poodles. seen multicoloured stuff once, ma mates wee jack russell had eaten all the bairns crayons.
games: elastics
levo
mind playin buzz in the shelter sheds in miller academy
clappy hand thing
what was the one where one of the moves was "lamposts", this would involve lyin down ??

jings00
01-May-06, 20:59
and ya don't see/hear kids sayin reesties(?) wi their fingers crossed when they are playin now.

krieve
01-May-06, 21:26
grantygTell ya what you don`t see these days is white dog muck!

One of my neighbours dogs left some in my garden the other day! [mad] For some reason they can't be bothered to take the dog for a walk! but the don't mind there dog doing it's business in my garden. [disgust]

Rheghead
01-May-06, 21:36
Kids don't make geordies (bogeys) anymore. A good one had a good set of pram wheels, a brake and a skipping rope as a steerer. Happy days!

connieb19
01-May-06, 21:49
Kids don't make geordies (bogeys) anymore. A good one had a good set of pram wheels, a brake and a skipping rope as a steerer. Happy days!Hmmm, a lot less noisy than these mini motos nowadays, they're sooo annoying.[mad] Don't the parents think about where the kids are going to use these things before they buy them. Pestering folk trying to have a peaceful day off!!

sam
01-May-06, 21:51
Hmmm, a lot less noisy than these mini motos nowadays, they're sooo annoying.[mad] Don't the parents think about where the kids are going to use these things before they buy them. Pestering folk trying to have a peaceful day off!!

aaawww lol did they bug you all day !!

angela5
01-May-06, 23:34
Kids don't make geordies (bogeys) anymore. A good one had a good set of pram wheels, a brake and a skipping rope as a steerer. Happy days!

I had a fine set of pram wheels attached to my wooden fish box..happy days indeed.:grin:

connieb19
01-May-06, 23:38
I had a fine set of pram wheels attached to my wooden fish box..happy days indeed.:grin:I remember going up to newton Dump to look for pram wheels, and spending a whole day up there rummaging about..lol[para]

angela5
01-May-06, 23:43
I remember going up to newton Dump to look for pram wheels, and spending a whole day up there rummaging about..lol[para]

I have a faint memory of a wee girl passing our house with an arm load of buckled wheels....i used to feel sorry for her walking all the way up newton for a rumage..especially since i got there before her and took all the best wheels.[lol]

connieb19
01-May-06, 23:45
I have a faint memory of a wee girl passing our house with an arm load of buckled wheels....i used to feel sorry for her walking all the way up newton for a rumage..especially since i got there before her and took all the best wheels.[lol]That wasna me. I got a run home with the minister ..lol. I think he felt sorry for me and took me home..:o

angela5
01-May-06, 23:50
That wasna me. I got a run home with the minister ..lol. I think he felt sorry for me and took me home..

Sorry connie i did not mean to suggest it was you..:D
I do remember the minister though, each sunday morning visiting the dump to see how many kids were dodging the sunday school[lol]

connieb19
01-May-06, 23:56
Sorry connie i did not mean to suggest it was you..
I do remember the minister though, each sunday morning visiting the dump to see how many kids were dodging the sunday school[lol]I nver even got the wheels..I had to make do with an old steering wheel Oh, and I got a pair of shoes for my mam...lol:o

willowbankbear
02-May-06, 00:27
I nver even got the wheels..I had to make do with an old steering wheel Oh, and I got a pair of shoes for my mam...lol:o

Don fishing company fishboxes were better than the kinlochbervie 1s as the wood went across the way & didnt collapse the same when your cartie smacked into a kerb or yer pals kartie :p

Errogie
04-May-06, 19:10
In Thurso they were known as "hurlies". A good set of pram wheels from the dump set you up for several generations of vehicles.

The problem with the fish box was that you sat kind of high if the seat was on the rim and sharp bends could coup you but if you were down in the body of the box on an old cushion it wasn't so handy for a quick exit either.

Latterly I dropped the box construction for a straight plank with small racing seat, foot rests and rear brake. Resting your feet on the front bogie was also a bit risky at speed and on rough ground as steering and balance were hard to co ordinate. Better to use a rope steerer and keep you feet back on the rest though never quite perfected a steering wheel arrangement but not through wont of trying.

Spent years trying to build the ultimate hurlie and at one stage had a rope between two lamp posts on the steep hill of Davidsons Lane and threw a large hook and rope out after running over it heading towards Princes Street at breakneck speed. The result was not quite the same as what I'd read in an annual should happen when planes landed on an aircraft carrier but I survived somehow.

fred
04-May-06, 21:06
Reading through this thread I think a few of you might be interested in this web site.

http://www.wilflunn.com/autobiography.htm

For those who don't remember Wilf Lunn was a childrens TV presenter and inventor. He grew up in Yorkshire in the mid 1900s but I'm sure it will bring back many happy memories for anyone who was young around that time.

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
05-May-06, 06:14
Hmmm, a lot less noisy than these mini motos nowadays, they're sooo annoying.[mad] Don't the parents think about where the kids are going to use these things before they buy them. Pestering folk trying to have a peaceful day off!!I have three kids next door all girls,there foster dad built them a cart to ride down the path beside the house that leads to the park,talk about scream,makes me want to go out and cut the grass or something since I cant watch my video's (no reflection on the fairer sex)

2little2late
06-May-06, 14:27
Don't see the rag and bone man anymore. I remember when I was a bairn and living in Edinburgh at the time, the rag and bone man with his horse and cart. Everytime we gave him something to put on his cart he always gave us a couple of balloons or a colouring book and crayons.

coastown
06-May-06, 18:37
ah yes the rag man in his van forgot all about him, the kids used to go mad when they saw him coming down the street.:)

pulteney person
06-May-06, 18:38
I think most of the games here are still played. I see the local kids playing them, especially kicking balls against walls!

Don't see much hopscotch though. We used to get a smooth piece of marble from the stone mason to use as a hopscotch stone.

Some of us used to go to shaltigoe looking for smooth stones and then build little stone houses on the pebble beach by the lifeboat shed (with responsible adults, I hasten to add). Then we all played 'house' together.
I saw a family doing that last summer and it brought back the memories.

Buttercup
06-May-06, 20:35
Don't see the rag and bone man anymore. I remember when I was a bairn and living in Edinburgh at the time, the rag and bone man with his horse and cart. Everytime we gave him something to put on his cart he always gave us a couple of balloons or a colouring book and crayons.
Remember clearly pestering Mum for something to give him every time we saw his van in the next street, he always gave us a balloon ~ kids were easily pleased in them days.
Anyone mind before bonfire night going round the doors for rubbish and some of the big boys used to get tyres from the garages. There was always competition between the different streets for the biggest bonfire and someone always had to be on guard - usually sitting in the middle of the rubbish - just in case others decided to raid your pile! You never heard of anyone getting hurt or burnt. Happy days! :D

pultneytooner
06-May-06, 20:41
Don't see the rag and bone man anymore. I remember when I was a bairn and living in Edinburgh at the time, the rag and bone man with his horse and cart. Everytime we gave him something to put on his cart he always gave us a couple of balloons or a colouring book and crayons. Anybody mind sandie mathieson from albert street, he used to go around with a horse and cart when I was a kiddie?

pulteney person
06-May-06, 22:26
Aye, Alecey Mathieson and his horse and cart. He had a yard in Rutherford Street where he kept the horse and cart.
He used to do furniture removals with the horse and cart.

I do remember the bonfires and everyone setting fire to their rivals piles. I set fire to a few myself, usually after someone did the dirty on my bonfire first. You had to keep guard for weeks and of course it was impossible because you had to go in at a certain time because you had school in the morning. Once you went in, the older kids would come and help themselves to things from your heap. It was great fun though. I don't see the kids of today having half the fun we had way back then.

zebedy
07-May-06, 00:48
Hide and seek ,Red lights, whats the time mr wolf, british bulldogs, skipping i can't think of anymore at the moment.

British Bulldog!

Dunno if we play it the same way as u do..

gotta make ure appoinent submit

U got a bunch of people and Dawg...

And they all run at u and u choose ure prey!

lol

Whitewater
07-May-06, 21:58
think dog muck is more likely to be white if the dogs have been eatin bones. don't know if folk still give their dogs bones? when i was wee i used to think the white dog muck was from white poodles. seen multicoloured stuff once, ma mates wee jack russell had eaten all the bairns crayons.
games: elastics
levo
mind playin buzz in the shelter sheds in miller academy
clappy hand thing
what was the one where one of the moves was "lamposts", this would involve lyin down ??

Not made a study of dog muck myself, but you make it sound quite interesting.

willowbankbear
07-May-06, 22:07
Gibby Frasers car or van on a sunday lunch time selling the papers, we used to get sweeties & a paper for my dad when we were bairns

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
08-May-06, 07:18
Kids don't make geordies (bogeys) anymore. A good one had a good set of pram wheels, a brake and a skipping rope as a steerer. Happy days!http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/thursorobin/image3.jpg

pultneytooner
08-May-06, 08:46
All the local lads playing 20 aside football on the park. Aye, 20 a side and 20 the winner, the games used to last all day.

Rheghead
03-Jun-06, 18:39
You don't see dead moles and crows tied to fencing anymore. Does anyone know what the tradition or meaning was behind all that?:confused

connieb19
03-Jun-06, 18:54
You don't see dead moles and crows tied to fencing anymore. Does anyone know what the tradition or meaning was behind all that?:confusedI've noticed a lot of dead crows tied to fencing this year.:confused

2little2late
04-Jun-06, 14:52
You don't see dead moles and crows tied to fencing anymore. Does anyone know what the tradition or meaning was behind all that?:confused

The reasoning behind this is. It is to keep crows out of fields. If a crow sees one of it's dead relatives tied to a fence then it will not land in that particular field.

Chillie
04-Jun-06, 15:06
1 thing we don't see is connie fishing in wick river at 3am.;)

Ricco
04-Jun-06, 15:42

It was, apparently, the catcher's way of advertising that he was good at his job and was often paid per corpse.

Rheghead
30-Nov-06, 22:56
Sorry for bringing this to the top again but I've thought of a few more because I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.

We don't see green transparent lettering above the driver and passenger on the front windscreen of cars, typical driver would be Kevin and his bird, Sharon.

We don't see women wearing curlers and scarfs on their Saturday shopping trips.

We don't see a queue a mile long outside the bank on a Friday afternoon.

:Razz

connieb19
30-Nov-06, 22:58
Sorry for bringing this to the top again but I've thought of a few more because I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.

We don't see green transparent lettering above the driver and passenger on the front windscreen of cars, typical driver would be Kevin and his bird, Sharon.

We don't see women wearing curlers and scarfs on their Saturday shopping trips.

We don't see a queue a mile long outside the bank on a Friday afternoon.

:RazzYou obviously don't come to Wick very often Rheghead? :eek:

Rheghead
30-Nov-06, 23:02
You obviously don't come to Wick very often Rheghead? :eek:

True, how very true. :lol: Am I missing a 'Life on Mars' experience?

acameron
30-Nov-06, 23:37
and ya don't see/hear kids sayin reesties(?) wi their fingers crossed when they are playin now.

I say reesties to this day, but nobody remembers it

danc1ngwitch
01-Dec-06, 18:24

my son is tellin me that its not reesties its called croosed keys and not allowed in some games like manhunt??? ( catchers ) i think .. lol.. he says on some games it is cheating if u use cross keys or reesties.. i must say i loved reading this thread its magical and makes me smile, the days when i could run 4 ever and a day.. lol[lol]

funky-dunky
01-Dec-06, 18:38
not sure if anyone has mentioned them but their is hot chocolate, polo, tag. kiss cuddle torcher, roly poly's, hopscotch,

thats all i can remember lol.

grantyg
01-Dec-06, 19:51
and white dog poop!

unicorn
01-Dec-06, 19:52
bright green in springpark yuck.

aileenmac
01-Dec-06, 20:56
I was told that it's white if they have worms - watch the kids!

golach
01-Dec-06, 21:01
In my young day before Nuclear Power we called it Keys and would cross both thumbs
But never see street games now, Kick the Can, Relievo, and the skipping games that both sexes took part in the school playground

angela5
01-Dec-06, 21:06
I was told that it's white if they have worms - watch the kids!

As a kid i thought it was that colour as it had been around for so long because no one bothered picking it up :lol:

unicorn
01-Dec-06, 21:59
The only time I ever saw it white with my dog was after giving a huge marrow bone.

mums angels
01-Dec-06, 22:57
1 potato 2 potato.
hopscotch.
leapfrog.
playing with a ball against a wall.
marbles.

My kids still play first 3 mentioned and still play kiss...catch at Miller just like i used to do :lol:

johno
02-Dec-06, 13:11
hi, our favourate game was cowboys & indians, worst was that we always fought over who was going to be the cowbows. like in the movies the indians always, always ,lost. ?

[lol] :lol:

danc1ngwitch
02-Dec-06, 17:34
hi, our favourate game was cowboys & indians, worst was that we always fought over who was going to be the cowbows. like in the movies the indians always, always ,lost. ?

yea i used to take my brothers silver gun in its brown holster, and we used to part ways i was the cowboy he was younger no sense, i made him a bow and arrow from a bendy stick and bailers twine and it wasna much good...lol i was the bestest then

scorrie
03-Dec-06, 01:14

Sadly you cannot have Cowboys and Indians in today's politically correct society. This is sexist on two counts and derogatory on another.

To comply with modern requirements I would suggest that children of today ask if their friends would be interested in a non-violent game of:-

"Bovine Carers versus The Indigenous Peoples of the Americas"

Metalattakk
03-Dec-06, 04:17
"British and Jerries" will be a no-go too, then, I presume....

:(

No more 'Eat lead, English Pig-Dog!" or "Gott in Himmell!" and certainly no "Speak English or die, Fritz!"....

Errogie
03-Dec-06, 19:10
I'm amazed that I survived childhood in Thurso.

Every Halloween we dismembered fireworks and packed the contents into metal pipes to fire ball bearings and other missiles out of. I once put a ball bearing right through the garden shed and out the other side! The only accident I can recall was one lad who lost some digits because he hammered the pipe closed at one end with the charge still in it. Of course we also threw bangers around and at each other and put them in bottles, tins and various containers.

On a similar theme shooting rats at Bougswa dump and crows in the mall and around Mina Villa required an assortment of air rifles and pistols and were de rigeur for any well dressed loon. Latterly it was shotguns fired from motorbke pillions at the rabbits on the tracks through Achscrabster quarries.

Then there was Scrabster harbour, with long days dodging the coming and goings of fishing boats and the old St Ola in leaky old rowing boat which just seemed to be available for boys to take out. It would be a bicycle race down in the morning to be first to claim the craft then a day of delight although we had the good sense never to venture too far outside the harbour wall.

The other delight at Scrabster was mountaineering on the steep slopes and gullies above the harbour and climbing down the end of Holbourn Head to a rock platform for fishing next to some lethal surging swells which occaisionaly demanded a quick retreat. If it rained the climb back up the cliff was better done in your socks for extra grip.

Then we had great sledging winters. Hard frosty starlight nights thundering down Lovers Lane from Castlegreen Road or Granville Crescent, Davidsons and Robertsons lane. the greatest disincentive to tackling homework. I can recall one classmate going right under a passing lorry on Princes Street and the glancing blow from one of the back wheels smashed the sledge and deposited him unscathed right on the doorstep of the doctor's surgery. There was no salt and only a little sand put out and cars still used chains to get around, will we ever see winters like that again?

Summers we swam in the salmon pool after school and braver souls in Thurso Harbour.

danc1ngwitch
03-Dec-06, 19:53
sounds from the post above that there is alot to be said about if the child does not get the freedom it is more dangerous. I used to do things like walking ledges i shouldna have and all sorts and thankfully i never broke a single bone. Children if they dont get the chance to do things when they get out they try it and are not capable and then things happen. You know i have often said sometimes its the children that are really well looked after that comes to more accidents when out.

cullbucket
03-Dec-06, 23:27
used to play "40 all the way" which I believe was the same as kick e can - not sure why the name change

Dreadnought
04-Dec-06, 00:05
Kids don't climb trees anymore.

WeeBurd
04-Dec-06, 00:10

That's because they canna find any in Caithness [lol] !!

johno
04-Dec-06, 15:20
I'm amazed that I survived childhood in Thurso.

Every Halloween we dismembered fireworks and packed the contents into metal pipes to fire ball bearings and other missiles out of. I once put a ball bearing right through the garden shed and out the other side! The only accident I can recall was one lad who lost some digits because he hammered the pipe closed at one end with the charge still in it. Of course we also threw bangers around and at each other and put them in bottles, tins and various containers.

On a similar theme shooting rats at Bougswa dump and crows in the mall and around Mina Villa required an assortment of air rifles and pistols and were de rigeur for any well dressed loon. Latterly it was shotguns fired from motorbke pillions at the rabbits on the tracks through Achscrabster quarries.

Then there was Scrabster harbour, with long days dodging the coming and goings of fishing boats and the old St Ola in leaky old rowing boat which just seemed to be available for boys to take out. It would be a bicycle race down in the morning to be first to claim the craft then a day of delight although we had the good sense never to venture too far outside the harbour wall.

The other delight at Scrabster was mountaineering on the steep slopes and gullies above the harbour and climbing down the end of Holbourn Head to a rock platform for fishing next to some lethal surging swells which occaisionaly demanded a quick retreat. If it rained the climb back up the cliff was better done in your socks for extra grip.

Then we had great sledging winters. Hard frosty starlight nights thundering down Lovers Lane from Castlegreen Road or Granville Crescent, Davidsons and Robertsons lane. the greatest disincentive to tackling homework. I can recall one classmate going right under a passing lorry on Princes Street and the glancing blow from one of the back wheels smashed the sledge and deposited him unscathed right on the doorstep of the doctor's surgery. There was no salt and only a little sand put out and cars still used chains to get around, will we ever see winters like that again?

Summers we swam in the salmon pool after school and braver souls in Thurso Harbour. hmmm, i guess you let your own kids do that to.:roll: we used to do most of those things also in wick. cept we used to dive of the north baths to recover the shells scattered from the exmouth, then knock the heads off to get the cordite. used to pack it into tins & holes in walls and blow it up. then we,d go up to the ammo dumps at the drome and dig up the ammo.
if i caught any of my own doing the like they would be grounded for eternity
we forget our own misdoings. do as i say not as i do. Good job my parents didnt the half of it. Hope my sons never hear the rest of it. lol :roll:

danc1ngwitch
04-Dec-06, 20:40

mine do but when they caught they for it ... lol[lol]

angela5
04-Dec-06, 20:54

Too many awld wifies chase them off the trees nowadays.:roll:

Ojibwa
04-Dec-06, 21:03

My kids love to climb trees. You have to let kids be exposed to certain risks in order to learn.

Dreadnought
04-Dec-06, 21:10
mine do but when they caught they for it ... lol[lol]

Why? Kids have to be allowed the freedom to take a few risks. How else can they learn?

fingalmacool
04-Dec-06, 22:47
I know my hands are bigger, but can you remember that you had to break a penny chew on e pavement before you could even get it in your gob! Penny chews now are small and soft, probably because its safer. My old dear used to give me pelters for not eating my veg, but on e dark nights, same lad would join e troops in doin a bit of gardening, scoffing all procured,earth and all ( go figure ). I will take this opportunity to apoligise to all these poor hard working gardeners who's harvest I ate.