PDA

View Full Version : Budge & Napoleon?

Anonymous
26-Sep-01, 23:14
Am wondering if any Caithness BUDGE researchers are connected to a Robert F. BUDGE, an officer of the Royal Navy, who apparently travelled on the ship, "Bellerophon", with Napoleon, when he went to Santa Elena/St.Helena...

this Robert BUDGE then settled in Chile.

I have a typed copy of a letter one of Robert's descendants wrote in 1960, and I am trying to find out if this Line is perhaps Caithness- or Orkney- based. (Needle-in-a-haystack, I know)

Many thanks!

Lisa

Douglas Ross
24-Jan-04, 06:11
Am wondering if any Caithness BUDGE researchers are connected to a Robert F. BUDGE, an officer of the Royal Navy, who apparently travelled on the ship, "Bellerophon", with Napoleon, when he went to Santa Elena/St.Helena...

this Robert BUDGE then settled in Chile.

I have a typed copy of a letter one of Robert's descendants wrote in 1960, and I am trying to find out if this Line is perhaps Caithness- or Orkney- based. (Needle-in-a-haystack, I know)

Many thanks!

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I don't have info on Robert, but wonder if you are connected with my GG Grandmother's (Helen McIvor) mother - 'Hellen Budge', who was married to James McIvor in 1805 in the Parish of Latheron in Caithness.

Helen McIvor (b. 1826) then married 'Robert Ross' (b. 1820) on the 10th Feb 1844 and she died in 1898. Robert died in 1900 in Glasgow, where his son Donald had moved to.

I wonder how your Robert managed to end up with Napolean (the auld alliance) when most highlanders where fighting against him. Funny old world, but interesting.

I'm based near Glasgow, but working in Beijing at the moment.

All the best

Dougie Ross[/quote][/b]

Tricia
24-Jan-04, 17:47
BIRTHS OF ROBERT BUDGE All Scotland pre 1933
Parents
BUDGE MALCOME ROBERT OC 10JAN 1665 Canisbay Caithness
BUDGE THOMAS ROBERT OC 26JUL 1684 Thurso Caithness
BUDGE JAMES /TERRES MARGARET ROBERT OC 9AUG 1685 Ceres Fife
BUDGE JOHN/ CHOUSLIE MARGARET ROBERT OC 17MAY1694 Prestonpans [formerly Saltpreston]East Lothian
BUDGE JAMES ROBERT O C 19JUN1748 WickCaithness
BUDGE HENRY / POLSONCHRISTIAN ROBERT OC 10MAR1783 HalkirkCaithness
BUDGE JOHN ROBERT OC 27SEP1801 LatheronCaithness
BUDGE JOHN ROBERT OC 7JUN1821 LatheronCaithness

Hope this Helps.
My Budge family are mainly WICK and Canisbay