PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Butterfly Breast

greenasiamcabbagelooking
24-Dec-09, 18:47
Has anyone got a nice technique/recipe for cooking a 10lb butterfly turkey breast ?

many thanks and merry christmas !!

dragonfly
24-Dec-09, 18:57
put it in a roasting dish, cover with butter (only need a smear) and bacon, cover with foil and shove in the oven, lowish heat and long cook, take foil off when nearly done to crisp up bacon and turn turkey browner

Simple

greenasiamcabbagelooking
24-Dec-09, 19:05
thanks Dragonfly, just to add that the butterfly breast is boned,
i just nodded dumbly in bews when he told me the crown would be 'butterfly' :confused

it's a big blob of a thing, can i roll and tie it ? maybe stuff it ?
google isn't coming to my rescue !

wish it was summer, it'd be great on the barbeque !!

dragonfly
24-Dec-09, 20:11
I thought a butterfly came with bones removed and they tied it back up into the boned shape :confused a crown is the legs chopped off so its just the body you have to cook

sure someone will be along shortly with a tasty way of doing it

just to add, I never stuff my turkeys as takes longer to cook that way, I have put in an onion and a halved lemon before and that gives a nice aroma/taste

greenasiamcabbagelooking
24-Dec-09, 22:23
I thought a butterfly came with bones removed and they tied it back up into the boned shape :confused

you're right except for the tied up bit, it's splayed, breasts oot so to speak ;)

talkin of breasts, where's Nigella this year ?

toodiemac
24-Dec-09, 23:46
Just cook it as Dragonfly said - it's much easier than a whole turkey really. I wouldn't splay it flat though, push the breasts together before putting it in the tin (or tie it if it keeps collapsing).

I usually give it 20 mins per pound plus 20 mins extra (at about 170 degrees) - Bews were giving out free meat thermometers today though so that will take the hassle out of the timing.

I cover it in butter and streaky bacon, then quarter a lemon and an onion and put that in the tin too before covering tightly with foil - it makes the gravy really tasty.

It's so much easier to carve than a whole turkey and there is no waste.