PDA

View Full Version : Check on your elderly neighbours

Derlyn
24-Dec-09, 14:24
If you have elderly neighbours chap on their door before heading to the shops today in case they need anything. It could be that they are scared to go out with the ice so bad.

BINBOB
24-Dec-09, 16:20
Very good idea,but do not forget disabled folk.I have not managed out since the snow started,use crutche/s.Not a good mix on ice,did get to local shop[very close] last night,with difficulty.

I am quite sure there are others much worse off and may need help.

Good for thinking of folks though.;)

Stavro
25-Dec-09, 02:06
Very good idea,but do not forget disabled folk.I have not managed out since the snow started,use crutche/s.Not a good mix on ice,did get to local shop[very close] last night,with difficulty.

;)
Sounds like you won't miss this weather when it's gone.

Some radio stations are urging the public to spare a thought for elderly neighbours.
Lonely or isolated old people often don't bother to cook for themselves, but it's amazing what a little company can do to restore their appetite and good cheer.

Fran
25-Dec-09, 02:09
I saw a poor man struggling up the cliff as I drove down. He had 4 bags of heavy shopping and his walking stick kept falling. I turnd around and stopped and offered him a lift home which was quite a walk. He said his home help doesnt do shopping anymore or collect prescriptions etc. It is a disgrace that social work are neglecting our elderly/disabled like this. i beleive the Red Cross is taking over, thank god for that.

Boozeburglar
25-Dec-09, 02:31
Agree, let us all think about those we can call on and help in whatever way now in this terrible weather.

Let us not become like the cities where people can slide into oblivion without notice.

We really are better than that.

Merry Christmas everyone!

:)

Margaret M.
25-Dec-09, 03:50
I turnd around and stopped and offered him a lift home which was quite a walk.

Fran, you have such a big heart. Thank goodness there are folks like you in this world. :D

Stavro
25-Dec-09, 04:52
I saw a poor man struggling up the cliff as I drove down. He had 4 bags of heavy shopping and his walking stick kept falling. I turnd around and stopped and offered him a lift home which was quite a walk.

Very considerate indeed, you certainly lightened his load. :)
Reminds me of an old quote I heard somewhere, " Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns."

BINBOB
25-Dec-09, 11:30
Fran, you have such a big heart. Thank goodness there are folks like you in this world. :D

True Christmas spirit,Fran...........:D

BINBOB
25-Dec-09, 11:33
Sounds like you won't miss this weather when it's gone.

Some radio stations are urging the public to spare a thought for elderly neighbours.
Lonely or isolated old people often don't bother to cook for themselves, but it's amazing what a little company can do to restore their appetite and good cheer.

I am VERY lucky ,as I have wonderful neighbours.And certainly not as bad as others.At least I can order things/groceries online too.
The thing that upsets me most is frustration at not getting on as normal...but that is life.

Merry Christmas Stavro.;)

Bazeye
25-Dec-09, 14:08
My elderly neighbour is the laziest person youre ever likely to meet. He hasnt even taken the milk in from last week.

Doreen
25-Dec-09, 19:02
Red cross taking over dina even go there the carers are all lovely and do all they can for there clients but the ones that give the orders have so much disrespect for the carers take back homecare any day been there i must say ive never worked for anyone worse than redcross here dont get me wrong redcross are worldwide and do a brilliant job but they have not got it right here maybe they should find the right people that can organize and handle the job

Bobbin
25-Dec-09, 19:07
My elderly neighbour is the laziest person youre ever likely to meet. He hasnt even taken the milk in from last week.Thats nearly as bad as my neighbour, he hasn't even lifted the post from behind the door for over a fortnight now.

Scunner
25-Dec-09, 20:54
My elderly neighbour is the laziest person youre ever likely to meet. He hasnt even taken the milk in from last week.

Are you sure they are OK

Stavro
25-Dec-09, 22:57
Merry Christmas Stavro.;)

Thanks BINBOB. Same to you.

I like the wind up regarding the mail (and milk). :) Whoops, sorry, that was bobbin and bazeye.

highlander
26-Dec-09, 01:09
nice sentiment, yes it is nice to look out for them with this bad weather but what about the rest of the year, all it takes is a few minutes to knock at their doors and say hello but we worry that we are being taken for being nosey

Fran
26-Dec-09, 01:14

Maybe you should knock on the door and check. He might not be lazy at all, he could be lying very ill. please check.
Thank god i have good neighbours. If my blinds were still down by mid day they would soon come and knock.

horseman
26-Dec-09, 04:11
Fran-you'r a darling.An you are obviously not alone up there either:)
Congrats to you all:)

Bazeye
26-Dec-09, 12:11
Maybe you should knock on the door and check. He might not be lazy at all, he could be lying very ill. please check.
Thank god i have good neighbours. If my blinds were still down by mid day they would soon come and knock.

Congratulations, youve just had a Whooosh! moment. ;)

joxville
28-Dec-09, 04:34
When my siblings and I were younger we always had to go and make sure granny was okay, do her shopping etc.

I wouldn't help her now.....apart from being dead, she was a thankless, miserable old bat. :(

P.S.You know you're old when your balls sag so much that they can replace the "clackers" you used to play with as a child.

P.P.S. Sometimes when I'm bored I take to dressing as the Grim Reaper, tapping on the windows of the local retirement home and waving to the residents for entertainment.

[lol]

sassylass
28-Dec-09, 04:50
When my siblings and I were younger we always had to go and make sure granny was okay, do her shopping etc.

I wouldn't help her now.....apart from being dead, she was a thankless, miserable old bat. :(

P.S.You know you're old when your balls sag so much that they can replace the "clackers" you used to play with as a child.

P.P.S. Sometimes when I'm bored I take to dressing as the Grim Reaper, tapping on the windows of the local retirement home and waving to the residents for entertainment.

[lol]

:eek: <- speechless here