PDA

View Full Version : AllStarFactory long gone, any regrets?

Rheghead
23-Dec-09, 23:00
Does anybody now regret that they didn't support the cinema more when they had the chance? You only realise what you had until its gone is never more truer than today in Thurso.

Would you now buy a bag of expensive sweets if it meant them not going under?

Could we form a buy-out club?

redeyedtreefrog
23-Dec-09, 23:23

Nope. Too expensive, I bet if their prices were lower they'd have more people going, therefore more income.

Rheghead
23-Dec-09, 23:26
Nope. Too expensive, I bet if their prices were lower they'd have more people going, therefore more income.

Do you think it is easier to try to squeeze more out of your existing customers than to reinvigorate more to come in?

Do you not miss the cinema? :confused

Bobinovich
23-Dec-09, 23:33
Nope. Myself and the kids have had a couple of great overnight trips to Inverness instead - including visits to the Aquadome, cinema, tenpin bowling, outdoor park (during the summer) or Landmark, plus overnight stays in B&Bs. We've made a real outing out of them and will be doing the same again in January just before they go back to school.

Boozeburglar
23-Dec-09, 23:41
I think a tie up with Pizzaland or something would be ideal for a future cinema enterprise.

I think Cardozey should buy it.

pentlander
23-Dec-09, 23:45
I think a tie up with Pizzaland or something would be ideal for a future cinema enterprise.

I think Cardozey should buy it.
Instead of insulting someone why don't you re-mortgage your house and do it yourself. Lets see how savvy you are.

Rheghead
23-Dec-09, 23:50
Would it be better run as a private member's club? Members would be less inclined to deface the seats and have a sense of respect to the place? An annual membership with non extortionate refreshments. I think the bowling alley would run better if the clientele had a stake in the place as well.

Boozeburglar
24-Dec-09, 00:28
OMG Pentlander, what is up?

Don't you have a sense of humour?

He buys everything else so why not?

I don't suppose he would want a franchise like Pizzaland, as there is no age limit to consuming pizza.. thus no loyalty base and future cash cow in flouting such..

Murdina Bug
24-Dec-09, 10:18
Yes, I miss it. Yes, I did support it even though the prices ripped the eyes out of you! I think there was a point where it could have been turned round with effort and promotions but once they were over the tipping point and it became obvious that the 'management/owners' etc did not care for the property then people did not care to pay for a kind of shoddy experience and stopped going. You really can't blame someone for not wanting to pay £7.50 to sit in a cold cinema on a ripped seat!

I still believe that agressive (by that I mean pro-active marketing not abusing the staff!) and progressive management would have made this work.

Cinderella's Shoe
24-Dec-09, 10:41

I think I see this one going into arguments about why we should all buy expensive electricity...........

daviddd
24-Dec-09, 10:52
One might regret that HIE poured tax-payers money into what with hindsight appears to be a poor investment. I wonder who originally looked at the likely usage of the facility and decided it was a goer when it was likely to struggle to survive? Did the developers or HIE do a public survey to reflect interest?

For my tastes most of the films were rubbish anyway apart from the odd gem like Penguins; you can only make so many Ice Age sequels.

On this subject area, I wonder what's going on with the Halkirk leisure centre plans; seems to have all gone quiet?

igglepiggle
24-Dec-09, 11:55
Nope. Myself and the kids have had a couple of great overnight trips to Inverness instead - including visits to the Aquadome, cinema, tenpin bowling, outdoor park (during the summer) or Landmark, plus overnight stays in B&Bs. We've made a real outing out of them and will be doing the same again in January just before they go back to school.

We are the same bobinovich, we head down every now and then and make a weekend out off it, also going to the panto when we are down in a couple off weeks. We did go to the bowling alley, but i must admit we dont miss it, as everytime we were there for a game off bowls it took us twice as long because the lanes kept breaking down, and then when you needed it fixed there was no staff to be seen. A few times we left before finishing the game. they didnt keep their lanes in good order though, they were all marked and chips off wood out etc, if you are in inverness at the rollerbowl, they have such high polished lanes. If you look after what you have got, it will look after you!! I think the bowling alley was a better layout before they changed it around when you could see through from the bar. The cinema was freezing, we never used to buy any sweets from there, way over priced, i agree if there prices were more reasonable more people would off bought. So no regrets, they had so many chances. If they dont support the public, the public wont support them.

Turquoise
24-Dec-09, 12:19
One might regret that HIE poured tax-payers money into what with hindsight appears to be a poor investment. I wonder who originally looked at the likely usage of the facility and decided it was a goer when it was likely to struggle to survive? Did the developers or HIE do a public survey to reflect interest?

For my tastes most of the films were rubbish anyway apart from the odd gem like Penguins; you can only make so many Ice Age sequels.

On this subject area, I wonder what's going on with the Halkirk leisure centre plans; seems to have all gone quiet?

I don't think the problem is anything to do with HIE's investment into the venture. The problem lay with the poor management of the facility, in my opinion. The place would have had more success if they had lowered their prices to get people through the door. They had fixed costs to cover which they would have made up by getting bodies in the place and then if they bought even just one drink or bucket of popcorn, that would be one more than if they had left their skyhigh prices the way they were.

The place was left to deteriorate to a poor level and from reading the health reports, the kitchens were so poor I never ate there after reading it. I was given very raw chicken in the middle on a couple of occasions there and there is no excuse for such disregard to customer health. Cleanliness and checking food temperatures are such fundamental requirements that they could not get right, so no I'm not surprised they closed!

bish667
24-Dec-09, 13:17
I sure dont miss it

Each
24-Dec-09, 14:57
I don't think the problem is anything to do with HIE's investment into the venture. The problem lay with the poor management of the facility, in my opinion. The place would have had more success if they had lowered their prices to get people through the door. ...!

Have to agree with you there ... not only price though ... Stopped going a good while back, found the staff really rude and unhelpful specially when we had the kids !! It really took the fun out of going out.

I was always suprised the management didnt seem to be bothered.. so wasn't suprised when it went out of business.

lasher
24-Dec-09, 15:51
Have to agree with you there ... not only price though ... Stopped going a good while back, found the staff really rude and unhelpful specially when we had the kids !! It really took the fun out of going out.

I was always suprised the management didnt seem to be bothered.. so wasn't suprised when it went out of business.
Last time i went it was a rip off and freezing, the bowling lanes were a disgrace all bent and twisted!

EDDIE
24-Dec-09, 16:02
We are the same bobinovich, we head down every now and then and make a weekend out off it, also going to the panto when we are down in a couple off weeks. We did go to the bowling alley, but i must admit we dont miss it, as everytime we were there for a game off bowls it took us twice as long because the lanes kept breaking down, and then when you needed it fixed there was no staff to be seen. A few times we left before finishing the game. they didnt keep their lanes in good order though, they were all marked and chips off wood out etc, if you are in inverness at the rollerbowl, they have such high polished lanes. If you look after what you have got, it will look after you!! I think the bowling alley was a better layout before they changed it around when you could see through from the bar. The cinema was freezing, we never used to buy any sweets from there, way over priced, i agree if there prices were more reasonable more people would off bought. So no regrets, they had so many chances. If they dont support the public, the public wont support them.

To be fair about it any cinema u go to the drinks and sweets are expensive when i go to the cinema i take my own sweets in.Its a shame thurso has no cinema now its a pity they dont go back to the old ways and have cinema showing every couple off weeks in the town hall like they use to back in the late eightys

daviddd
24-Dec-09, 18:57
I don't think the problem is anything to do with HIE's investment into the venture. The problem lay with the poor management of the facility, in my opinion. The place would have had more success if they had lowered their prices to get people through the door. They had fixed costs to cover which they would have made up by getting bodies in the place and then if they bought even just one drink or bucket of popcorn, that would be one more than if they had left their skyhigh prices the way they were.

The place was left to deteriorate to a poor level and from reading the health reports, the kitchens were so poor I never ate there after reading it. I was given very raw chicken in the middle on a couple of occasions there and there is no excuse for such disregard to customer health. Cleanliness and checking food temperatures are such fundamental requirements that they could not get right, so no I'm not surprised they closed!

If it's only a management issue how come no-one has rushed to buy the complex? It would be very hard for anyone to make money unfortunately - the population is too low.

Have you seen the prices at the (busy) cinema in Inverness? £4 for a hot dog? It's just as dear there.

bish667
24-Dec-09, 19:36
If it's only a management issue how come no-one has rushed to buy the complex? It would be very hard for anyone to make money unfortunately - the population is too low.

Have you seen the prices at the (busy) cinema in Inverness? £4 for a hot dog? It's just as dear there.

I would pay £4 for a hot dog in the Thurso cinema or I'd pay the asking price for a game of bowls if the lanes were worth using, neither were there along with a lot of other things.

Yea agree its not all management but machines etc cant fix themselves.

Skerries
24-Dec-09, 20:25
I would have paid the prices if they had showed anything that I wanted to see, but they didn't. The last time I went it was freezing and the popcorn looked older than most of the people in the cinema :eek:

It is always a shame to lose something like this but the bowling lanes were actually gifted by the US base to the people of Thurso, not a private business. It's a shame it couldn't have been run on that basis, although that is easier said than done.

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-09, 21:42
I dont miss it. :confused

The bowling lanes were in awful condition and you were lucky if you could have 10 minutes without a breakdown.

The cinema was over-priced to get in. Popcorn was so chewy!! Even when i took my own food the condition in the cinema wasnt worth sitting in. It was cold, floor was sticky and the majority of the seats were ripped or broken. :confused

Why would i miss paying £7.50 for that? :eek:

onecalledk
24-Dec-09, 21:56
£7.50 is about the same as going to the cinema in inverness. I find it unblievable that the nearest cinema is inverness where i have not long moved from. It may be a nicer cinema etc but add on the cost of fuel to get there and back and the 5 hours of driving to do it !

People driving down to Inverness at the drop of a hat to do stuff will only succeed in money being spent in Inverness and not Caithness. I know it seems obvious but money not spent in Caithness is not good for the Caithness economy? how can you expect businessess to survive when you would rather travel 110 miles to support other bussiness.

I was only ever in the cinema in Thurso a handful of times and yes the choice of films was disappointing but perhaps something could have been done to save it? I would agree with people who say it is poor management, a lot could of been done to save this cinema. The knock on effect is people now travelling to the cinema in Inverness and spending time and money outwith the cinema down there......

Rheghead
24-Dec-09, 22:06
Does anyone know how much they are wanting for the business by any chance?

greenasiamcabbagelooking
24-Dec-09, 22:56
putting aside the prices, showing blockbusters weeks after Inverness, bowling alley always breaking down ....the overall look of the place was pretty off putting, inside and out.

i appreciate the staff were probably on minimum wage, but they had plenty of time on their hands to tidy the place up, pull out the weeds at the front, paint the skirting boards, fix the wobbly hand rail at the top of the 3 steps in the bowling alley .... maybe even replace the bar of soap in the gents that was there from day 1 ... i know it wasn't in their job description, but these things gave the impression that they had given up on the place.

i think in the right hands the bowling alley/cinema could be financially viable.

are the books available for public viewing ?

unicorn
24-Dec-09, 23:01
The sale page Rheggers http://www.christie.com/search/brief/8/33752?1254206135 oh seems to be gone now? It said £495,000 when I looked first time.

Rheghead
24-Dec-09, 23:13
The sale page Rheggers http://www.christie.com/search/brief/8/33752?1254206135 oh seems to be gone now? It said £495,000 when I looked first time.

That was strange, I followed your link thanks and can confirm the £495,000 price tag and then I went back and it had disappeared.

unicorn
24-Dec-09, 23:20
Bloomin heck the Station hotel is on there for £1300,000 :eek:

cazmanian_minx
26-Dec-09, 09:47
It was originally on for £650,000 and then dropped to £495,000 about a week before the administrators were called in.

I've been doing a bit of investigating into cinema finances and now I think I understand a bit more why the money didn't stack up.

Cinemas hire films to show either from distribution companies or from the studios themselves. Getting hold of current prices is tricky, but in 2005 a new release film was starting from around £250 a week. Sounds great doesn't it? Tickets at £7.50 a go, plenty of money to be made. Until you dig a bit deeper and find that for the first week of release the distributor/studio also takes 90% plus of the ticket price on top of the rental. For Star Wars II the take was 100% of ticket price for the first week :eek: This tapers off until by the 4th/5th week the cinema has the film, the studio take is down to about 45%.

So in the first week of release of a big new release film, on a £7.50 ticket price, the cinema is making 75p or less for every seat it sells. Out of that it's got to pay VAT (£1.12 per ticket), pay its staff, cover the utility bills - it's an old joke in cinema management that they're sweet shop owners who show films, because that's the only area of operations that they make any money on at all.

No wonder independent cinemas across the country started falling like ninepins when this system was brought in :( If anyone takes it on, very good luck to them, but I can't help thinking that something like this:

http://www.tramps.org.uk/STRSUBS/tramps/home.html

might be a more sensible solution for Caithness & Sutherland.

Skerries
26-Dec-09, 18:14
i think in the right hands the bowling alley/cinema could be financially viable.

are the books available for public viewing ?

The books are available from Companies House, the local paper printed the company name when it shut. I gather the last accounts when it was trading under a different company name were circulating and alleged to be an interesting read.

bagpuss
26-Dec-09, 21:58
Isn't the new trend to admit that cinema is dead and the future is downloads and a home cinema set up? face it, it doesn't matter where you live- even the i max is pricy, but it is a night out of the house and it does take you into company. I think Argos sells projectors and sound systems. and all you need is Love Film or a friendly neighbourhood pirate

Vistravi
27-Dec-09, 22:52

HIE have always been notorious for putting investment in the wrong places. funding has been approved for 3 businesses (that I know of) that have gone under in the same financial year as it was awarded.

Furthermore, there are even more blunders....... Funding has been awarded to businesses already producing good turnover and healthy profit.

Since when was the HIE set up as a government bonus scheme? I also know of a few individuals who needed grants and were denied.

So............back to the point at hand, The Thurso cinema died due to lack of interest and proper investment in maintenance, a poorly designed drinking establishment and finally, showing of the wrong films.

Needless to say. If the correct investors and management took an interest in the project it could be turned around. The chances of that now, due to three previous (that I know of) attempts, I think that it would be extremely unlikely.

Vistravi
27-Dec-09, 23:21
Isn't the new trend to admit that cinema is dead and the future is downloads and a home cinema set up? face it, it doesn't matter where you live- even the i max is pricy, but it is a night out of the house and it does take you into company. I think Argos sells projectors and sound systems. and all you need is Love Film or a friendly neighbourhood pirate

Yes, I would agree that home entertainment is the future. I should know. Spend just over £3k on the TV......... then add the sound system and a quad core PC I wired in (freeview is for amateurs, use the net). Bluray and its coming replacement brings it all into focus. (excuse the pun)

For a start Argos sells substandard equipment (I can't use the words I want to without getting infractions). There are good sources online, better equipment AND for not much more (unless you want really good stuff)

There are also other ways to "go out" that can cost much less. Just not in Thurso. Lack of alternatives..........

But is back to the same issues.......... when leisure or entertainment is provided in caithness the turnout is appalling. This is lack of advertising and the fact the community never stands behind the efforts made. I have to blame myself in this aswell, I am also guilty to not helping local businesses when I had the choice.

bagpuss
27-Dec-09, 23:44
The cost of advertising in the local paper in Caithness has much to answer for too. A friend who ran a business locally discovered that they charge much more than the P&J.

okay- a night out for a single 40 something who isn't on the pull. Where do they go and what do they do then?

Moira
28-Dec-09, 00:26
<snip>
okay- a night out for a single 40 something who isn't on the pull. Where do they go and what do they do then?

I was going to suggest somewhere alongside BigBen or maybe somewhere near the Thames.......

What's your best suggestion bagpuss?

BTW I have no idea how or why this relates to the original thread, At this time of year I always make HUGE allowances. :)

EDDIE
28-Dec-09, 09:48

Internet and fast speeds has a lot to blame for failing Record shops going bust because its easier to download,get better deals on the net than the local shop, and yes it is soon going to be a reality streaming and downloading films.
I have projector at home and i prefer watching films on it than on the tv plus its good for playing games on it and there a lot more affordable compared to 10 years ago i was £500 for mine.
If you was to take in how much it would gost for 100 inch or 50 inch tv the projector is good value for money.

EDDIE
28-Dec-09, 09:51
The cost of advertising in the local paper in Caithness has much to answer for too. A friend who ran a business locally discovered that they charge much more than the P&J.

Sounds like you need a hobby?

bagpuss
30-Dec-09, 02:00
I still have relatives and friends in Caithness- but some of them are single and I'm appalled how seldom they get a night out. one of them depends entirely on Lyth or the Mill now that the cinema is closed. Meals out are not an option- she's on her own. I'm trying to get her to come and visit me but she's a carer and can't get away more than a couple of nights a year