PDA

View Full Version : Heating Oil Theives

astravxr
23-Dec-09, 13:37
had my heating oil stolen the night before last, every last drop was taken - does anyone know who these mindless people are????

had oil delivered a few weeks ago only took 500 litres tho thank goodness, my oil tank is in the rear garden and it aint visible from the road so either these idiots are watching the tankers and or know the area well.

so beware poeple as someone out there is watching you get your oil then pinching it a few weeks later!!!!

did think about a padlock but was told that they would just drill the tank if they cant get in because its locked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets hope santa brings new oil eh!!!!

upolian
23-Dec-09, 13:56
sorry to hear about this:~(

i have been told by people they have seen cars sneaking around late at nights,im not sure how oil tanks work but can a padlock or anything be put on to prevent this?

bad times people have to resort to thiefing oil

i hope you find them give them a swift coating in it and accidentally drop a match on them

Scorpio12thNov
23-Dec-09, 13:58
Where did this happen astravxr?:(

astravxr
23-Dec-09, 14:08
it happen in the wick area

Liz
23-Dec-09, 14:25
Oh no what a rotten thing to happen to you!:( Sadly, have heard this is happening to more and more people.

Hope they get caught.

riggerboy
23-Dec-09, 14:41
as if oil is not dear enough you dont need the thieving (masking more than 1 sweary word here) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~###########''' '''@@@@

takin yer warmth away, if i could i would

hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em

by the scruffy scanny necks
until they were dead dead dead,

sorry to hear your troubles ma mate

NickInTheNorth
23-Dec-09, 15:06
as if oil is not dear enough you dont need the thieving (masking more than 1 sweary word here) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~###########''' '''@@@@

takin yer warmth away, if i could i would

hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em

by the scruffy scanny necks
until they were dead dead dead,

sorry to hear your troubles ma mate

Far too soft.

Hang 'em - but not 'til they're dead.

Cut em down, and disembowel 'em

Then while still alive chop off their arms and legs, and finally the head.

Much more like it :D

riggerboy
23-Dec-09, 15:13
Far too soft.

Hang 'em - but not 'til they're dead.

Cut em down, and disembowel 'em

Then while still alive chop off their arms and legs, and finally the head.

Much more like it :D

bit ott that me boy but if you want i will go with it ,

bekisman
23-Dec-09, 16:59
It's happening all over: http://www.oiltankalarms.com/

stevie b
23-Dec-09, 17:16
there is not much you can do to stop folk from getting to your oil, as you said if you padlock the top they will only drill it. the only thing im aware of on the market is a system which i think is called a watchman sonic which sends a signal to you house telling you how much oil you have, and if the oil drops very quickly it sounds an alarm as a warning. may be worth looking into for everyone with an oil tank as it is getting more common these days

cuddlepop
23-Dec-09, 17:26
Get yourself a big dog there brilliant for detering any would be theives,or delivery drivers or visitors.;)

Seriously, I'd be furious too.:mad:

upolian
23-Dec-09, 19:01
there is not much you can do to stop folk from getting to your oil, as you said if you padlock the top they will only drill it. the only thing im aware of on the market is a system which i think is called a watchman sonic which sends a signal to you house telling you how much oil you have, and if the oil drops very quickly it sounds an alarm as a warning. may be worth looking into for everyone with an oil tank as it is getting more common these days

that sounds like a good idea for people with oil tanks!!

Phill
23-Dec-09, 22:08
Claymore Mine!

Just point it the right way otherwise your tank 'll be ed.

american gal
23-Dec-09, 22:29
its completley rediculus these theives need to get a grip o theirsels,:mad:

tonkatojo
23-Dec-09, 23:08
its completley rediculus these theives need to get a grip o theirsels,:mad:

I think they already do.;) they probably sit together doing it.

Kevin Milkins
24-Dec-09, 09:29
What would you carry 500 ltr of oil away with? :eek: Apart from the volume, that must be a fair bit of weight. These thefts must be well planed and premeditated.

Sorry to hear that you have to suffer this type of theft at this time of year, and with the weather being so cold. :(

I see there is a new type of padlock out now, it has an alarm on it,(about £15.00) so if the padlock is interfered with it sets an alarm off. I know it has been said that they may drill your tank if it is locked, but I guess they would have a go at the lock first.

I hope these thieves are caught soon, before they cause anymore misery.

riggerboy
24-Dec-09, 09:53
What would you carry 500 ltr of oil away with? :eek: Apart from the volume, that must be a fair bit of weight. These thefts must be well planed and premeditated.

Sorry to hear that you have to suffer this type of theft at this time of year, and with the weather being so cold. :(

I see there is a new type of padlock out now, it has an alarm on it,(about £15.00) so if the padlock is interfered with it sets an alarm off. I know it has been said that they may drill your tank if it is locked, but I guess they would have a go at the lock first.

I hope these thieves are caught soon, before they cause anymore misery.

500 ltrs would be about 1/2 a tonne, they would need a tranny van or similar,i would think if they see the lock they would just hole the tank, must stop now coz i feel a sweary word coming on

lasher
24-Dec-09, 15:34
500 ltrs would be about 1/2 a tonne, they would need a tranny van or similar,i would think if they see the lock they would just hole the tank, must stop now coz i feel a sweary word coming on
Be less than that about 410-440kg!!

riggerboy
24-Dec-09, 16:07
Be less than that about 410-440kg!!

is oil lighter than water ????

EDDIE
24-Dec-09, 16:18
500 litre is about 132 gallon so u would need 3 45gallon drums to fill it a transit van would probably do it.
you can get cctv that are activated by movement then recorded on the internet that might be the best way to go for the future better chance in catching them given the area like caithness being a small world

lasher
24-Dec-09, 16:46
is oil lighter than water ????
Yes slightly, s.g. of about .82-.875 ish.

trix
24-Dec-09, 16:56
ma brither used hev a scooter that ran on oil an 'e oil got knickt alot too.

these guys go roond 'e toon scannin who's got what. especially at 'iss time o' year. its a disgrace.

i widna be surprised if it happens again...:roll:

Julia
24-Dec-09, 23:30
What about installing a security light near your tank, one that's activated by movement, bound to act as a deterrent and quite cheap too!

unicorn
24-Dec-09, 23:38
How about installing electric fencing close to your tank, preferably hidden so they get their hips zinged nicely when they are trying to theive from you? Mains wired of course, they could hardly sue you for it............

Rheghead
24-Dec-09, 23:40
How about installing electric fencing close to your tank, preferably hidden so they get their hips zinged nicely when they are trying to theive from you? Mains wired of course, they could hardly sue you for it............

I'm afraid that they could sue and be very successful. :~(

unicorn
24-Dec-09, 23:42
Yes but in the meantime they get caught and you get the satisfaction of zapping the theiving gits. They can only sue if they report it and to report it they would have to admit to being up to no good.

poppett
24-Dec-09, 23:46
Pardon my ignorance, but if the heating oil arrives in a big tanker, what on earth do the thieves bring to take away the oil?

shazzap
25-Dec-09, 00:02
Yes slightly, s.g. of about .82-.875 ish.

Isn't that why oil floats on water.

shazzap
25-Dec-09, 00:03
Pardon my ignorance, but if the heating oil arrives in a big tanker, what on earth do the thieves bring to take away the oil?

I would imagine plastic drums Poppett.:)