PDA

View Full Version : Baaaaad for Christmas

cherokee
22-Dec-09, 21:05
Just had a friend of mine on the phone...

Her husband's sister and family are due up tomorrow for a visit from Bristol. In a very round about way he seemingly suggested to her (seriously!) that she wear her "big knickers" (the ones, I think, that keeps "it all in" !) and then apologised for suggesting she was fat !!!!

I know that she is on medication and one of the major side-effects is putting on weight, she has always been a perfect size 8-10 , at least when I've bought her clothes presents !

She is extremely upset, more for the fact that her husband perceived her as "fat" rather than her getting a "ragging" by her sister-in-law !!

Is she right to feel upset by this ? ( I think she is !!)

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 21:26
Just had a friend of mine on the phone...

Her husband's sister and family are due up tomorrow for a visit from Bristol. In a very round about way he seemingly suggested to her (seriously!) that she wear her "big knickers" (the ones, I think, that keeps "it all in" !) and then apologised for suggesting she was fat !!!!

I know that she is on medication and one of the major side-effects is putting on weight, she has always been a perfect size 8-10 , at least when I've bought her clothes presents !

She is extremely upset, more for the fact that her husband perceived her as "fat" rather than her getting a "ragging" by her sister-in-law !!

Is she right to feel upset by this ? ( I think she is !!)

In a way yea i can see why she might be offended. But just til ask (dinna shoot me doon) but did he actually call her fat?

Am just askin cos when u said "big knickers" it just clicks til me that skimpy wee ones are no for e caithness weather. :confused

But yea...i wud be upset too if my OH was callin me fat (in any way). Or even suggesting it.

unicorn
22-Dec-09, 21:48
Life is far too short to spend it worrying about what people may or may not have meant when they say something to you. As long as you have your health the rest is just inconsequential.

joxville
22-Dec-09, 22:04
Life is far too short to spend it worrying about what people may or may not have meant when they say something to you. As long as you have your health the rest is just inconsequential.

Too true fatso. :Razz

unicorn
22-Dec-09, 22:06
[lol] live and love :lol:

Rheghead
22-Dec-09, 22:06
Of course your friend has a right to feel upset. But then if they aren't a 'close' family then how was her brother-in-law to know that your friends weight was not within her control? I think a good humoured talk in the shell-like is in order to clear the air. Obesity as a result of wanting to eat out of control has no excuse unless you care more for yourself than your dependents.