PDA

View Full Version : Slippery pavements

Stavro
22-Dec-09, 21:04
Almost slipped over several times on the pavements in Thurso today. Very slippy! As a precaution against taking an unexpected tumble, perhaps wearing a pair of non-slip or good support footwear in this weather might be a good idea. :roll:

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 21:23
I went til e shop earlier which is just around e corner fae me and near fell on ma backside far too many times. [disgust]

E worst o it is, when i went til walk on e road thinkin it would be better...it wasna! Massive lumps of ice that e cars cudna even get over.

Where on earth is e gritters? Used a whole load o salt on ma own doorstep eday too and its still a massive slab o ice!!

unicorn
22-Dec-09, 21:31
I think we have a mini ice storm out there, the ice is forming on everything that does not move.

changilass
22-Dec-09, 21:42
Ice Age 2 lol, was that not a movie?

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 21:43
Ice Age 2 lol, was that not a movie?

Dinna forget ice age 3! E kiddies love that movie lol.

Unicorn ye are right ere! When i was puttin rubbish oot earlier e bin was frozen shut. :eek:

Just put more salt on ma doorstep and its still no better! [disgust]

fudgy
22-Dec-09, 21:44
The gritters have been out but if you look closely u can see the undisolved grit frozen under the ice. Please let it thaw soon its too cold:(

Lavenderblue2
22-Dec-09, 21:53
The gritters have been out but if you look closely u can see the undisolved grit frozen under the ice. Please let it thaw soon its too cold:(

Nooo fudgy, I love it, it may be slightly inconvenient but it's mid-winter, this is how it's meant to be.

unicorn
22-Dec-09, 21:54
My toes are frozen. Need more socks [lol]

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 21:55
Nooo fudgy, I love it, it may be slightly inconvenient but it's mid-winter, this is how it's meant to be.

I love it too, but i cana get e bairn oot when its ice. :( Feels total weird going oot withoot e pram in ma hands and i miss it.

BINBOB
22-Dec-09, 22:19
I went til e shop earlier which is just around e corner fae me and near fell on ma backside far too many times. [disgust]

E worst o it is, when i went til walk on e road thinkin it would be better...it wasna! Massive lumps of ice that e cars cudna even get over.

Where on earth is e gritters? Used a whole load o salt on ma own doorstep eday too and its still a massive slab o ice!!

Shelley....why are u talking/writing funny.??:roll:

BINBOB
22-Dec-09, 22:20
My toes are frozen. Need more socks [lol]

Uggs do the job,with NO socks!!!!;)

unicorn
22-Dec-09, 22:20
I assume she is writing as she talks. Not too hard to read so surely not a bother.

unicorn
22-Dec-09, 22:21
No Uggs never :eek:

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 22:31
Shelley....why are u talking/writing funny.??:roll:

I assume she is writing as she talks. Not too hard to read so surely not a bother.

Yeah sorry, it is a habbit am developing. :eek:

BINBOB
22-Dec-09, 22:33
Yeah sorry, it is a habbit am developing. :eek:

It is no bother....just a bit strange...:roll:;)

BINBOB
22-Dec-09, 22:34
No Uggs never :eek:

Why not????;)

DeHaviLand
22-Dec-09, 22:42

Ach Shelley, your backsides big enough, it can take a few falls :lol:

Kevin Milkins
23-Dec-09, 00:01
The roads and pavements are very slippery just now and I am not very steady on my feet, so I choose to minimise my trips out on foot.

A good tip that I was told some time ago (and works well) is to wear a large pair of old socks over your shoes.., I know that you may look a bit of a prat, but it does help you stay on your feet.

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-09, 00:52
Ach Shelley, your backsides big enough, it can take a few falls :lol:

:eek: How very dare you. My bum is perfectly formed thank u very much!

joxville
23-Dec-09, 00:56
Almost slipped over several times on the pavements in Thurso today. Very slippy! As a precaution against taking an unexpected tumble, perhaps wearing a pair of non-slip or good support footwear in this weather might be a good idea. :roll:

May I add if it happens to rain then wear decent shoes and take a brolly with you. ;)

Stavro
23-Dec-09, 01:41
A good tip that I was told some time ago (and works well) is to wear a large pair of old socks over your shoes...

And for added effect, how about a different coloured sock on each shoe? :D

And a brolly with a picture of Katie whatshername on it.

poppett
23-Dec-09, 10:19
Sheltered housing in Springpark was icy underfoot yesterday and no sign of paths being sanded. Warden on holidays so no one to complain. Access to the housebound by carers isn`t a priority!

riggerboy
23-Dec-09, 10:35
Sheltered housing in Springpark was icy underfoot yesterday and no sign of paths being sanded. Warden on holidays so no one to complain. Access to the housebound by carers isn`t a priority!

now you would have thought that the carers were of some priority,?????

Stavro
27-Dec-09, 20:12
New thread, called "Ice," going over some of the same ground. Perhaps they could be merged?

Vistravi
27-Dec-09, 21:27

Slightly inconvenient??!!! [disgust]

That is very selfish to say when there are people that can't leave their homes and people that won't go out for fear of hurting themselves when they fall. Snow is nice ice is just dangerous!! From your post it would easy to assume that you are able bodied and have nothing to lose by falling. Other people are not as lucky!

If you love it so much move to canada! [evil]

Vistravi
27-Dec-09, 21:34

My most sturdy and good support boots was being made into mincemeat by the ice when i was up visiting our families. Skis instead?;)

Liz
03-Jan-10, 02:40
I wear ice grips over my boots when walking on icy pavements and they really do work. Make quite a noise though!:lol:

http://www.blacktoe.co.uk/ice%20Grips/ice%20grips.htm

Kevin Milkins
03-Jan-10, 09:28
I wear ice grips over my boots when walking on icy pavements and they really do work. Make quite a noise though!:lol:

That looks like a great idea, thanks for that link, Liz :Razz (if they still have some in stock). The £12-25, ones would account for some strange looking footprints I saw on the beach.:eek:

cuddlepop
03-Jan-10, 10:46

Your full of brilliant ideas,thanks for that.:D

Sent Oh out with the dogs this morning as its just so slippy I no longer enjoy walking or should I say slipping the dogs.:eek:

poppett
03-Jan-10, 11:12
I fell again yesterday in the car park at Angus/Oldfield Court sheltered housing and again at the top of he steps where the ice was a solid 4" thick mass. Have put salt down on it every day and it makes no difference.

mrsmo
03-Jan-10, 11:23
I too wear ice grippers, got mine on QVC, Amazon also do some.
Makes a great difference!

BINBOB
03-Jan-10, 11:51
now you would have thought that the carers were of some priority,?????
Really do not think anyone is thought of as a priority these days.I have been unable to leave my house due to the slippery conditions,fell at the first snowfall,fractured another vertebra............but for my WONDERFUL neighbours I would be in a state.THANK U...u know who u are!!!!;)
Had the snowfall removed from ramp at the back,by neighbour,only to find next day,the snow had fallen off my roof,creating almost 2/3 ft. of snow on ramp.
Dr. advised me not to leave the house until conditions improved.........me and the snow!!/ice!!!

Yesterday,I paid a lovely gentleman to clear the snow off ramp and front steps.It is still icy..........I can not use salt/grit on my back ramp as I have a cocker whose paws crack open.........too painful to contemplate for her.
So,looks like I am to be a prisoner until..........who knows????????:roll:
Thanks also to ALL of the lovely Tesco delivery guys..do not know what I could do without them either.;)

bekisman
03-Jan-10, 15:37
Just a thought; When I lived in Germany it was a legal requirement to keep the pavement outside my home free of snow and ice.. pity they don't do it here..

Fran
04-Jan-10, 01:52
They do it if you are on dialysis.