PDA

View Full Version : Caithness and north sutherland postcode

Green_not_greed
22-Dec-09, 14:30
I see that Morvern has been successful in obtaining a separate postcode from Oban, some 120 miles away by road.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8426057.stm

This will hopefully help the 200 homes in Morvern to obtain cheaper insurance, amongst other benefits.

It did not change the first two letters of their postcode (which is still Paisley based!) but did change the following number and so I think there may be hope for others.

If they can do it, why not those of us in Caithness and North Sutherland who suffer from the KW (Kirkwall) postcode and all the issues associated with receiving deliveries etc?

The Morvern community successfully changed their postcode through Community Council representation to the Scottish Parliament Petitions Committee.

I was wondering if .orgers would support a similar campaign for those of us with mainland KW postcodes, and also if Caithness/North Sutherland Highland Councillors should lead any such petition or whether the public should take it upon themselves to lead it?

Thanks

GNG

Shabbychic
22-Dec-09, 15:28
I would certainly back a campaign to change the KW postcode, and I think the Councillors should take the lead. They are, after all, supposed to be representing us.:)

BINBOB
22-Dec-09, 15:43
I see that Morvern has been successful in obtaining a separate postcode from Oban, some 120 miles away by road.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8426057.stm

This will hopefully help the 200 homes in Morvern to obtain cheaper insurance, amongst other benefits.

It did not change the first two letters of their postcode (which is still Paisley based!) but did change the following number and so I think there may be hope for others.

If they can do it, why not those of us in Caithness and North Sutherland who suffer from the KW (Kirkwall) postcode and all the issues associated with receiving deliveries etc?

The Morvern community successfully changed their postcode through Community Council representation to the Scottish Parliament Petitions Committee.

I was wondering if .orgers would support a similar campaign for those of us with mainland KW postcodes, and also if Caithness/North Sutherland Highland Councillors should lead any such petition or whether the public should take it upon themselves to lead it?

Thanks

GNG

My friend,in Oban has exactly same problem...........Oban is nowhere near Paisley,although in same region!!Crazy.:D

riggerboy
22-Dec-09, 15:48
will the change in postcode make deliveries to caithness cheaper ????... if so then i`m up to fight the posties to get mine changed

unleash the hounds apon the postie

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 15:54
I would certainly back a campaign to change the KW postcode, and I think the Councillors should take the lead. They are, after all, supposed to be representing us.:)

Yeah like the ASDA fiasco, what's in it for them they will wonder.

Margaret M.
22-Dec-09, 15:54
They need to hear from the people. There has been so many posts on here about the misunderstanding of the location of Caithness and the higher postage rates that result, I am surprised meaningful action has not been taken already. I would be surprised if anyone in the area would refuse to support such an action. Just do it! :D

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 15:56
They need to hear from the people. There has been so many posts on here about the misunderstanding of the location of Caithness and the higher postage rates that result, I am surprised meaningful action has not been taken already. I would be surprised if anyone in the area would refuse to support such an action. Just do it! :D

Margaret, I think you will find we are doomed the crafty PO and couriers have already stuck us in a expensive zone with little or no opposition.

riggerboy
22-Dec-09, 15:57
Yeah like the ASDA fiasco, what's in it for them they will wonder.

what fiasco was there with asda, asda applied asda failed no fiasco lol,
never mind we are getting a new charity shop in thurso high street,

BINBOB
22-Dec-09, 17:17
what fiasco was there with asda, asda applied asda failed no fiasco lol,
never mind we are getting a new charity shop in thurso high street,

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...;)

Rheghead
22-Dec-09, 18:14

Don't even bother asking John Thurso, I emailed him about my concerns with the KW postcode and he didn't even bother replying, seems like he is abandoning his key voters..

theone
22-Dec-09, 18:31
Most couriers who charge excess to the KW postcode area also do so for IV around inverness.

I doubt if a postcode change would affect the prices.

Serenity
22-Dec-09, 20:32
Margaret, I think you will find we are doomed the crafty PO and couriers have already stuck us in a expensive zone with little or no opposition.

PO/parcel force don't charge extra. Just some couriers and I think most of them have figured out where we are now - it just costs more to deliver here. One of the factors you take in to account when you choose to live here.
Have to agree it is annoying when certain online retailers claim we aren't mainland though. That's not the postcodes fault though - either the retailer's laziness in not checking properly or cynical price raising.
Think you are looking at it the wrong way. Imagine all the cost and bother in changing systems and letting everyone know your new postcode. Costs would have to be passed on. Would be better to get on to the retailers who still insist we are not mainland. These are a lot fewer than just a few years ago so they seem to be cottoning on.

piratelassie
22-Dec-09, 23:26
Ordered pariffin from an English firm and they asked for address details. Highlands and Islands was a £10 delivery charge...Mainland Briton was free....So I typed in Mainland and got free delivery to Caithness :Razz

bothyman
23-Dec-09, 10:39
PO/parcel force don't charge extra.

Parcelforce don't charge us extra for sending things South, but they have a £6 surcharge if people want to send things North.
Which seems strange to me, where do they park all the vans that never return South???

riggerboy
23-Dec-09, 10:52
Parcelforce don't charge us extra for sending things South, but they have a £6 surcharge if people want to send things North.
Which seems strange to me, where do they park all the vans that never return South???

at the back o the asda car park, jeeez sometimes ye canna get in the carpark for them,

tonkatojo
23-Dec-09, 12:16

Hmm, well I never.;)

sids
23-Dec-09, 12:58
Don't even bother asking John Thurso, I emailed him about my concerns with the KW postcode and he didn't even bother replying, seems like he is abandoning his key voters..

You used your "rheghead@singlesinyourarea.com" email address, didn't you?

riggerboy
23-Dec-09, 14:38

i take it your a key voter,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pegs on oneself mes thinks ......