PDA

View Full Version : Mey hall committee Christmas Party ...

mrs_inkstack
21-Dec-09, 23:22
A big thank you to everyone on the Mey Hall committee for the wonderful christmas party they held in the hall yesterday, bairns had a great time.

It's great to have the new hall up and running, fairly brings the community together - I love it !! :D

Talking of community spirit - who is up for the hogmany party in the hall - bring the bairns too, will be a proper family get together !!

Merry Christmas to everyone x

simpsoney
22-Dec-09, 14:33
Yes a very big well done to the Mey Hall Committee who organised the party. My two absolutely loved it!!

Karen
22-Dec-09, 16:47
A big thank you from us too, the kids were so excited when they saw Santa at the window :D

wilma
22-Dec-09, 21:25
Good to know that the bairns enjoyed it after all that was who it was for.

Hogmanay party hall open from 10pm.

Bring your own bottles and musical instruments.

Hope we see you at the Hogmanay party.:)

stiggy
22-Dec-09, 22:08
It was a great afternoon we took our daughter along and she really enjoyed it. Santa did well hiding his face so she wouldn't recognise him.

caithnessmw
01-Jan-13, 15:20
I was looking forward to the Hogmanay party in the Mey Hall but when I turned up, the lights were off and the doors were closed. A bit of a disappointment but along the road at the Castle Arms Hotel, they were having a Hogmanay party with karaoke and providing food. I loved it! I was having a shot at the karaoke for a change! The night was great and we all had a dance after the bells.

Top marks for Castle Arms Hotel and no marks for Mey Hall

Birons
01-Jan-13, 16:52
It was indeed a good night at the Castle Mey Arms. Thank you for the hospitality and Bob & Ali for the karaoke.

billrose
02-Jan-13, 12:42
A big thank you to all who attended our Hogmanay party and especially those who got up and sang. Glad that all of you had such a good time and made all the hard work worth while. Just a pity more of our locals couldn't make the effort to come along but they're the ones who missed the fun. Next year, perhaps??

A special thanks to Bob and Alison for running the karaoke and to all those who came from Wick, Thurso and John O' Groats.

mrs mouse
02-Jan-13, 18:03
Mrs Inkstack started this in 2009 to thank the Mey Hall for the kids Christmas party.
Why are you moaning on here about Hogmanay 2012?

The hall was infact open for Hogmanay, I know because I was there. We arrived at about 10.30pm & came home about 2.50am. We as a family had good crack with all those there & thoroughly enjoyed our night.

I am local & married to a local & we had no idea that the Mey Hotel was planning anything for that night. As this is a small community I think it's a shame for the area that 2 events have been put on the same night. The hall has been open for Hogmanay, with no charge, for the last few years.

It is a personal choice where you go; but i feel rather annoyed with the comment about lack of local support at the hotel. Not the way to get your locals on side.

appilihp
03-Jan-13, 09:08
I am new to the area and came out from Thurso to go to village hall Hogmanay with my adult sons. We had a lovely time and were made to feel very welcome thanks will come again next year

billrose
03-Jan-13, 23:27
Mrs Inkstack started this in 2009 to thank the Mey Hall for the kids Christmas party.
Why are you moaning on here about Hogmanay 2012?

The hall was infact open for Hogmanay, I know because I was there. We arrived at about 10.30pm & came home about 2.50am. We as a family had good crack with all those there & thoroughly enjoyed our night.

I am local & married to a local & we had no idea that the Mey Hotel was planning anything for that night. As this is a small community I think it's a shame for the area that 2 events have been put on the same night. The hall has been open for Hogmanay, with no charge, for the last few years.

It is a personal choice where you go; but i feel rather annoyed with the comment about lack of local support at the hotel. Not the way to get your locals on side.

Why indeed should you also moan about Hogmanay 2012? The comment about the Mey hall was made by a local so we can't really comment on that. We did advertise our event on Caithness.org and in the local press and even in our shop and bars - this is obviously from a local person who appreciates the services we provide?? We are a business and need to make a profit to be able to continue to provide services to the local community. We are new to the area and trying to maintain a service but if we are not supported this cannot continue. As newcomers to the area we did not know how well we would be supported and could not afford a loss by paying for a service not well attended but we did provide karaoke and food for the entrance fee. We do not know the local New Year customs but do not feel that two events cannot compete or even work together as I am sure the Mey hall did not provide karaoke or dancing so each to his own tastes.

Mey hall does not provide drinks or a grocery store from early morning until 10pm each night. It does not have to pay for heat and light and staff wages for that period. We do.

Locals have said they are our bread and butter.

From the experience of the past few days this has not been the case and any money we have taken has come from those outside the local area. What more can I say? We have no legal or moral obligation to stay open and cost us money. The fact is you use us or you lose us. Simple economics.

The takings in our tills over the coming days will make our decision for us.

Gronnuck
04-Jan-13, 09:00
Just a pity more of our locals couldn't make the effort to come along but they're the ones who missed the fun. Next year, perhaps??

If 'the locals' are important to your business try not to be so negative towards them.

We are new to the area and trying to maintain a service but if we are not supported this cannot continue. As newcomers to the area we did not know how well we would be supported and could not afford a loss by paying for a service not well attended but we did provide karaoke and food for the entrance fee. We do not know the local New Year customs but do not feel that two events cannot compete or even work together as I am sure the Mey hall did not provide karaoke or dancing so each to his own tastes.

Mey hall does not provide drinks or a grocery store from early morning until 10pm each night. It does not have to pay for heat and light and staff wages for that period. We do.

From the experience of the past few days this has not been the case and any money we have taken has come from those outside the local area. What more can I say? We have no legal or moral obligation to stay open and cost us money. The fact is you use us or you lose us. Simple economics.

As well as being negative you're coming across as condescending too. You really don't need to lecture 'the locals' about business practices. Most of us are aware of the struggles many businesses have hereabouts. The winter months are always a strain.
Now here's something to think about - if the Mey Hall Committee and the Castle Arms management were to get together - negotiate/compromise/combine their talents/pool their efforts and create a bigger joint event for next year. It should be possible for both community assets to benefit

Slickly
04-Jan-13, 09:10
As well as being negative you're coming across as condescending too. You really don't need to lecture 'the locals' about business practices.You can't accuse the poor guy of being that. This is just another instance of "we don't like strangers in these parts".

Gronnuck
04-Jan-13, 09:35
You can't accuse the poor guy of being that. This is just another instance of "we don't like strangers in these parts".

Good morning Slickly – I won’t deny some people can be quite parochial in their views. As an incomer myself I have always tried to be positive. The Castle Arms is a great asset to our scattered community and I hope the new management are successful.

mrs mouse
04-Jan-13, 21:22
=billrose;998125]Why indeed should you also moan about Hogmanay 2012? The comment about the Mey hall was made by a local so we can't really comment on that. We did advertise our event on Caithness.org and in the local press and even in our shop and bars - this is obviously from a local person who appreciates the services we provide?? We are a business and need to make a profit to be able to continue to provide services to the local community. We are new to the area and trying to maintain a service but if we are not supported this cannot continue. As newcomers to the area we did not know how well we would be supported and could not afford a loss by paying for a service not well attended but we did provide karaoke and food for the entrance fee. We do not know the local New Year customs but do not feel that two events cannot compete or even work together as I am sure the Mey hall did not provide karaoke or dancing so each to his own tastes.

I wasn't moaning about Hogmanay, we had a great one.
Was mearly saying that Caithnessmw was wrong in stating the Mey Hall wasn't open.

We also hadn't heard (sorry) that the Hotel would be open, so certainly couldn't comment on anything you did there. We are sorry to hear that things aren't going as well as you hoped but certainly didn't expect to get such a rant on here from you, the new owners of the Hotel. :eek: That said we will still be popping in as we have been doing. We wish you well & hope things improve as the year moves on.

billrose
11-Jan-13, 22:50
Thanks for your comments and good wishes and the last thing we would want to do is to be negative about the local community. Just to explain my "rant" - as newcomers we wanted to carry on any traditions which our predecessors carried on over New Year so asked our "regulars". They all said we needed to provide entertainment and as we were late trying to organise this the best we could do was karaoke but they all said this would be well attended, they would all come and they all agreed a £5 charge as we were providing food was a great idea. In the end none of our "regulars" appeared.

A joke at our expense??? Next time we will know better and thanks to those who do support us and to those who continue to pop in. We did have a successful Festive period despite how it sounds and we look forward to providing more events during the year. Keep looking out for our future events and I'm sure many of you will enjoy what we have planned over the coming months.