PDA

View Full Version : Sleep apnea

majic
20-Dec-09, 17:26
Hi my OH has just been diagnosed with sleep apnea he has to wear a mask at night that blows air if he stops breathing but it just wakes him up so we are just as tired in the as before. I was just wondering if anyone else has this and do you find that the machine works when you get used to it.

bingo1
20-Dec-09, 17:43
Hi there my dad had this machine his was called a ceepap as he had lung disease this machine blew air into his lungs to help him breath at night or whenever he slept, i found that after a while he did get used to it although i dont think that he ever found it comfortable. Persavere and good luck.

majic
20-Dec-09, 17:57
Hi my OH machine is a CPAP is only blows air when he stops breathing i think that is what wakes him up (and me) he has to get used to i because if he don't he will have his license taken away:)

Kodiak
20-Dec-09, 18:16
I suffer from this and I rely on my mife to give me a THUMP when I stop breathing. I then wake up spluttering and gasping for air and sometimes it is not pleasant at all.

I do not want to wear one of those masks so until there is something better I will carry on as I do.

majic
20-Dec-09, 18:57
[QUOTE=Kodiak;634980]I suffer from this and I rely on my mife to give me a THUMP when I stop breathing. I then wake up spluttering and gasping for air and sometimes it is not pleasant at all.

I do not want to wear one of those masks so until there is something better I will carry on as I do.[/QUO

Well he was told when he was diagnosed in raigmore after he had a sleep study that if he does not use this thing he will not be able to keep his license they have to inform the DVLA.

BINBOB
20-Dec-09, 19:09
I suffer from this and I rely on my mife to give me a THUMP when I stop breathing. I then wake up spluttering and gasping for air and sometimes it is not pleasant at all.

I do not want to wear one of those masks so until there is something better I will carry on as I do.
Hope u are not driving!!!

telfordstar
20-Dec-09, 21:19
Would it be dangerous if he didnt use it? plus hows hospital going to know if hes using it or not?

BINBOB
20-Dec-09, 22:19
Would it be dangerous if he didnt use it? plus hows hospital going to know if hes using it or not?
not a good idea.........sleep apnea can cause many problems........
and to pretend he is using it[ which I am sure he will not do] is not the right thing to do nfor his own health.

tonkatojo
20-Dec-09, 22:35
I spent a few nights in Raigmore when a bloke in the next bed came in with his machine, it must have been an old one ,it was lie an old compressor clanking away all night. He never heard a thing just us poor souls in the ward got no sleep, we was in the day room half the night snoozing in the armchairs LOL.

majic
21-Dec-09, 10:22
They know when you are using it it monitors your breathing and the hours it is use so when you go back they can download it to a computer to check everythink ok

tonkatojo
21-Dec-09, 12:30
They know when you are using it it monitors your breathing and the hours it is use so when you go back they can download it to a computer to check everythink ok

That sounds very similar to the oxygen concentrator I use, its like living with the tumble dryer on LOL. The engineer comes every 3-4-5 month or whenever to service it.

stewart4364
21-Dec-09, 15:15
I have used a CPAP machine for about 5 years. The machine delivers a continuous flow of air to keep the airwaves open while you are asleep. Each night when the mask is put on, set the flow of air at the minimum setting and after a predetermined time the airflow will automatically be increased to the level as set by the nurse. Hopefully by the time the increased flow rate cuts in you should be sound asleep. If you do not use a CPAP machine your airways can be obstructed and you stop breathing. Because your brain senses that you have stopped breathing, it wakens you and if this occurs many times throughout the night (it is possible that you could stop breathing several times an hour) you obviously experience a very disruptive sleep pattern. If the sleep apnoea is not controlled it is possible that a stroke or heart attack could occur. Wearing the mask initially can be a bit awkward or uncomfortable but this feeling soon goes away. Persevere with the mask as it has been allocated to you for your benefit and hopefully preventing any other problems arising.
Hope this information is of some benefit to you.