PDA

View Full Version : cat attacking dog

Fran
20-Dec-09, 00:38
I am looking after a young cat at the moment, a very petted thing, very gentle and loving, but, it keeps attacking my 9 year old dog for no reason, just jumps at him and bites him, my poor dog is frightened of him. Help, any suggestions please.

Aaldtimer
20-Dec-09, 04:05
I would think Fran that the cat just wants to play with him.
If it's a young cat/kitten it might not have learned that play biting is sore. Other kittens would produce reactions that would tell it not to do that, but a 9 year old dog would wonder "what the heck do I do with this".
He's obviously a placid dog...I know what our wee Westie would do in those circumstances!
And it wouldn't be pleasant!:eek:

Leanne
20-Dec-09, 10:27
Second what Aaldtimers says. Our two cats knock out dogs about lots! The dogs just let out a sigh and put up with it. Sounds like you've got a dog in a million and a ball of fun :)

cherokee
20-Dec-09, 13:00
If you actually see the wee moggie having a "go" at your dog, have a container (made of tin preferably) in your hand that has a good handful of dry rice grains in it.
Give it a vigorous shake as soon as you see her pounce, I know this is usually used to train dogs, but I would think the sudden loud rattle would help to at least deter her and possibly scare her into not trying it again!

Liz
20-Dec-09, 14:05
I would agree with the others in that the cat is just playing with Bobby. As Bobby is such a gentle soul he is letting him away with it but if he gave a loud bark or growled then sure the cat would stop.

Just tell the cat NO (in a very loud voice) and, hopefully, it will stop.

nicnak
22-Dec-09, 16:53
Hi Liz,
if its any help we took on a new cat (he's 9 mths old) and he and our 3yr old Staffy play fight all the time, neither hurt each other and its just like two cats playing! They love each so much its brilliant, they are the terrible twosome! they play, eat and sleep together, not only that but the Shadow (the cat) even sleeps with Dellah (the staffy) when she is cuddled up or feeding her pups, who are 7 weeks old now! animals are truly amazing.

Fran
24-Dec-09, 03:42
My new baby and the dog seem to be a little bit more friendly. the baby is a male cat aged 6 months, so loving, and he wants to play with the dog, bobby who is 9.
I wish bobby would growl or something but he wont, he just goes and hides to get peace. It is early days i suppose. I thought i would not keep him, as the dog comes first, obviously, but the cat is a lovely thing and im hoping they will get on.

Liz
24-Dec-09, 13:22
As you say Fran it is very early days yet and sure that Bobby will get used to his lively wee younger brother!:lol:

There are always teething troubles when any new pet is introduced to a household and just takes time for everyone to find their place.

bt total broadband
02-Jan-10, 21:08
glad to know im not on my own with this one,i got my cat 6 months ago and she just want to get her claws into my wee dog and he has tried barking at her to back off but her fur is on end and she is ready to pounce.i dont know what to do and i couldnt part with either of them[disgust]

Liz
03-Jan-10, 00:19
glad to know im not on my own with this one,i got my cat 6 months ago and she just want to get her claws into my wee dog and he has tried barking at her to back off but her fur is on end and she is ready to pounce.i dont know what to do and i couldnt part with either of them[disgust]

If you can catch her in the act have a spray bottle of water ready and spray this on her whenever she goes for your dog.
I did this with one of my cats who used to attack one of my other cats and after a few times he'd had enough and stopped.

It could be jealousy or a dominance problem.

I am sure you won't need to part with either of them as there will be a way of sorting this. Try the spraying with water and if that doesn't work come back and I'm sure between us all we'll work out a solution.

Good luck!

doyle
03-Jan-10, 00:49
A spray bottle of water worked wonders on my dogs' behaviour! They went through a spell of barking when they were left alone in the car, as soon as we were out of sight the barking would start. Sprayed them a few times and after that just the threat of the sprayer was enough! I'm sure it would work with kitty and stop it from pouncing on poor doggie! As previously said by Liz, he/she needs to be caught in the act! Harmless - worth a try.