PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Thomas,Gay!!, WHAT?

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 21:11
I woke this morning to the revelations on the news that Wales and British Lions rugby star Gareth Thomas, (more affectionately known in rugby circles as Alfie) is gay.:eek:
Paul Ackford: Gareth Thomas need not fear reaction to his 'gay' revelation (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/6844036/Paul-Ackford-Gareth-Thomas-need-not-fear-reaction-to-his-gay-revelation.html)

I personally am not homophobic or do I have an issue with same sex relationships, but having met the guy a few times and my son has played with and against him on a number of occasions, I would have been less surprised if the news read "The Pope Has Become a Jehovah's Witness".:eek:

I text my son in the first instance and he informed me that he had known this for over two years.:confused

The point to this post is simple, have I lost touch with the world since moving North, or has this "coming out" been a surprise to anyone else?

Kodiak
19-Dec-09, 21:16
Get a Grip. It makes no difference if he is Gay. All that matters is his Skill and what he is like as a Person.

Stavro
19-Dec-09, 21:18
Paul Ackford: Gareth Thomas need not fear reaction to his 'gay' revelation (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/6844036/Paul-Ackford-Gareth-Thomas-need-not-fear-reaction-to-his-gay-revelation.html)

The point to this post is simple, have I lost touch with the world since moving North, or has this "coming out" been a surprise to anyone else?

No, I do not think you have lost touch! :roll:

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 21:27
Get a Grip. It makes no difference if he is Gay. All that matters is his Skill and what he is like as a Person.

I agree, it matters not to me because I do respect his skill as a player, and personality, (although he could be a bit of a tinder box at times), but to a proud Welsh rugby enthusiast, to learn (out of the blue) that the most capped Welsh rugby international is gay is a bit to take in.

hunter
19-Dec-09, 21:28
I personally am not homophobic or do I have an issue with same sex relationships, but having met the guy a few times and my son has played with and against him on a number of occasions, I would have been less surprised if the news read "The Pope Has Become a Jehovah's Witness".:eek:

You have a stereotype for someone who is gay?

Get a life!

elastic band
19-Dec-09, 21:35
My reaction on reading this was -so what !. He is a rugby player and his sexuality has no impact upon his ability to play rugby at the top level. Also surely his sexual preferences are his business and not ours. Like everyone in this world if you are lucky enough to find someone to love then be happy, that's all that matters.

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 21:38
You have a stereotype for someone who is gay?

Get a life!

I would not say that I have a stereotype for someone that's gay, but I thought I would have been able to pick up on the fact of someones sexual preference.:confused

Perhaps your right, I may need to get a life, because this one went right over my head.

Also be aware that the point of this post was not to ridicule the man, but to inspire perhaps a positive debate.
I am sure that his brave coming out in such a macho sport (while still playing professional rugby for Cardiff Blues) will do nothing but good for anyone that may be struggling with there sexuality and would be hesitant to put it in the public domain.

tonkatojo
19-Dec-09, 21:41
I would not say that I have a stereotype for someone that's gay, but I thought I would have been able to pick up on the fact of someones sexual preference.:confused

Perhaps your right, I may need to get a life, because this one went right over my head.

Also be aware that the point of this post was not to ridicule the man, but to inspire perhaps a positive debate.
I am sure that his brave coming out in such a macho sport (while still playing professional rugby for Cardiff Blues) will do nothing but good for anyone that may be struggling with there sexuality and would be hesitant to put it in the public domain.

Exactly what I was thinking Kevin.

joxville
19-Dec-09, 22:21
Sorry, I can't help but think, is he the only gay in the village? ;)

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 22:28
Sorry, I can't help but think, is he the only gay in the village? ;)

He seems to be the only one that is putting his hand up just now, but who knows.

BINBOB
19-Dec-09, 23:02

Have to agree....good luck to him.

Vistravi
19-Dec-09, 23:47

Sometimes people are very good at hiding it!

grumpyhippo
19-Dec-09, 23:55
Whats the fuss about ...... just form a ruck:lol::lol:

Boozeburglar
20-Dec-09, 00:13
I thought I would have been able to pick up on the fact of someones sexual preference.:confused

Maybe you just were not his type?

I think it is fantastic that he took this step. Maybe we need an updated interpretation of what macho really is. He does not look any less macho to me now.

If only Freddie Mercury had sung "Big Bottom Guys" he would have done wonders for two stigmatized groups in society.

:)