PDA

View Full Version : Rage Agaisnt The Machine

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 14:40
The battle for number one in the Christmas pop charts seems to have taken an unusual turn of events this year with a posting on facebook starting a revolution amongst music fans choosing to buy or download a single by the above named band called "I wont do what you told me" .

I can't post a link because there is a few swear words in the song, but a google of the band or song title will take you to the you tube posting and story.

This morning on the telly Joe Mcelderry and this band were neck and neck, and the population that are fed up being spoon fed a diet of what Simon Cowell wants us to listen to are fighting back.

ShelleyCowie
19-Dec-09, 14:43
Come on Rage Against the Machine! Brilliant band that ye can never get enuf of!!

tonkatojo
19-Dec-09, 15:24
Just listened to part of it, I turned it off what a racket !!.
Give me a ballad with words you can hear any day.

jings00
19-Dec-09, 17:14
RATM for me!! ;-)

Shabbychic
19-Dec-09, 17:34
It get's my vote.:D You go RATM. :evil

Fluff
19-Dec-09, 19:55
I like the RATM song but I also want it to get to no.1 because I am fed up of the x-facotr taking over every year!

EDDIE
19-Dec-09, 19:56
Its a shame for joe he doesnt deserve that but ratm do have a point that every year xfactor controls the song thats going to be no1 there is no suprise now

Dog-eared
19-Dec-09, 20:00
Simon Cowell has an interest in RATM as well - so he wins whether you like him or loathe him. He's a very, very clever businessman ! :lol:

Jeid
19-Dec-09, 20:13
I like RATM, but people should learn facts, so lets clear stuff up.

Rage didn't start the campaign... it was just a random Facebook post starting a campaign. I've seen several newspapers and internet sites stating that it's a "campaign by the band."

Also, Simon Cowell isn't set to win out of this either way. Rage Against The Machine are signed to Sony records whereas Joe, and most of the other X-Factor artists are signed to Syco(which Simon Cowell setup) which is only a part of Sony records. It's not like Simon Cowell OWNS Sony, he's just got a label that are linked with Sony.

So, Rage getting to number one would be good for music and it'd be sticking it to the man! I'm sure this sort of campaign will continue in the future.

Personally, getting Journey, Don't Stop Believing would've been a better choice, but I'd be happy if Rage got it, but just pushing Joe is enough to make me smile :)

Dog-eared
19-Dec-09, 20:25
As far as I understand this,

The buying war is going to benefit Cowell if there's a good vs evil buying frenzy happening.

RATM had an 8 year lay off after they became millionaires and only started playing again a couple of years ago. How can they stand for anti - capitalism ?
I know they didnt start this ( not publicly anyway ) but they're not shy of joining in to raise their profile.

:D

Boozeburglar
19-Dec-09, 21:04
Who cares about singles anyway?

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 21:18
Who cares about singles anyway?
Simon Cowell, for one, But I think the Christmas number one has been a bench mark for "success" within the industry.

Of all the tat that is out their just now, I sought of like what Susan Boyle is doing just now.:roll:

Jeid
19-Dec-09, 21:18
As far as I understand this,

The buying war is going to benefit Cowell if there's a good vs evil buying frenzy happening.

RATM had an 8 year lay off after they became millionaires and only started playing again a couple of years ago. How can they stand for anti - capitalism ?
I know they didnt start this ( not publicly anyway ) but they're not shy of joining in to raise their profile.

I doubt they'd have much of a choice. If any band is in the running for a number one spot, they get asked to perform, they'll do it :)

If you read more into RATM, you'd maybe understand more about what they stand for. And, tbh, if they wanna get their message out to the wider audience, which they do, signing to a major label is a sure fire way of doing it.

elastic band
19-Dec-09, 21:25
I think it's a little sad to stir this up -surely this vote for RATM scheme is doing exactly what it is advocating people shouldn't do i.e. be told what to do.

I also think it must be very hurtful for the x factor winner chap.

what happened to the season of goodwill ?

Jeid
19-Dec-09, 21:34
That's the funny thing, nobody is doing what they're told.

Nobody told people to buy either singles. It's just that people have now added a bit of competition for the X-Factor finalist.

I don't see the problem, last year people were trying to buy the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah.

sprint95m
19-Dec-09, 22:01

Person who started the Facebook campaign was interviewed on Radio One today. He confirmed that Rage Against the Machine are donating their royalities to two British charities (£55,000 so far).
:D Given the success they have enjoyed in the past couple of decades, I doubt RATM will feel their profile needs any raising ;)!

bettedaviseyes
19-Dec-09, 22:26
the thing with the x factor is the person who wins it is given a recording deal not promised a number spot and over the years its been the x factor winner hitting christmas number one think folk have just got fed up with it!! simon would have done an christmas song this year but could no cos stacey is jewish and if she won she could not song christmas song bet next year he will do one lol

J C Denton
20-Dec-09, 01:47
I doubt they'd have much of a choice.

What rubbish. Of course they had a choice, do you seriously believe that they've been forced to perform by some sinister organisation?

Boozeburglar
20-Dec-09, 02:01
Simon Cowell, for one, But I think the Christmas number one has been a bench mark for "success" within the industry.

Of all the tat that is out their just now, I sought of like what Susan Boyle is doing just now.:roll:

Good point.

The X Factor and other shows of that ilk have kind of revived the single as a tool of torture.

..as for it being the season of goodwill, why don't they make the X Factor song a free download? Or commit all the proceeds to charity???

They have already coined in millions in their voting system.

Blarney
20-Dec-09, 02:23
I think that we are all missing the point here. A recording gets to no.1 because people like it enough to actually buy it. Nobody forces them to buy it so if it gets to the top it's because more folk bought it than any other. I think that the real issue here is that the RATM recording is the preferred choice of the younger generation who think that the charts should reflect their taste in music. They obviously resent the fact that people from their parents' generation can have influence in what they perceive as their domain. Let's face it, there are millions who watch and enjoy X Factor and a vast majority will buy the single so it rightly deserves a number one spot. That's what happens when you live in a democracy...................;)

Kevin Milkins
20-Dec-09, 02:41
I think that we are all missing the point here. A recording gets to no.1 because people like it enough to actually buy it. Nobody forces them to buy it so if it gets to the top it's because more folk bought it than any other. I think that the real issue here is that the RATM recording is the preferred choice of the younger generation who think that the charts should reflect their taste in music. They obviously resent the fact that people from their parents' generation can have influence in what they perceive as their domain. Let's face it, there are millions who watch and enjoy X Factor and a vast majority will buy the single so it rightly deserves a number one spot. That's what happens when you live in a democracy...................;)

I have watched most of the Xfactor and enjoyed some of it, (Particularly the earlier rounds when a lot of the contestants made an Erse of themselves), but, like our friend Tonka, I thought the RATM was a loud noise that did not deserve a hearing and cut it short.

Joe Mcelderry (in my opinion) did enough to win the X factor and I liked the lad, but if I had to choose between which one I was going to spend my money on, it would be RATM.

loganbiffy
20-Dec-09, 09:07
This is a no-brainer for me. It has to be RATM, not just because I like them but because the music industry has become a joke in the last 10 years or so.

I think we can all say we expect the X-Factor winner to be number 1 at Xmas, it's becoming as certain as Xmas day itself.
I back RATM as I'm sick of hearing all this bland, mediocre music.

Joe may have a good voice, but at the moment he has no originality at all.
It's yet another cover song (and in my opinion a terrible song) that they are releasing, obviously just rushing a song out to make money ;)

All the proceeds from the RATM single going to charities is a nice touch at Xmas as well.

I expect Joe to be number 1 come whatever time the charts is on today but at least there has been competition this year and after yesterdays Bizarre column in The Sun paper I had to laugh. Joe throwing darts at a picture of Zack de la Rocha, surely Joe thinks he has a god-given right to be number 1 as he won X-Factor? As amusing as it is pathetic.

Come on RATM!

riggerboy
20-Dec-09, 09:17
well i think cliff richard should be number 1 and to pot with all this new fangle stuff an simon blinking cowel

tonkatojo
20-Dec-09, 11:36

Aye but do we ??, some folk even want a conservative government.:( (I dispare)

ShelleyCowie
20-Dec-09, 11:44
Aye but do we ??, some folk even want a conservative government.:( (I dispare)

Or no government at all. Bet then everything would be better! :confused

tonkatojo
20-Dec-09, 11:53
Or no government at all. Bet then everything would be better! :confused

I'll take my chances with your suggestion rather than the cons.:(

Amy-Winehouse
20-Dec-09, 12:40
Ratm - I bought it in protest against Simon Cowelll & his regime, NOT because its a song I like-I think its crap tbh.

tonkatojo
20-Dec-09, 12:44
Ratm - I bought it in protest against Simon Cowelll & his regime, NOT because its a song I like-I think its crap tbh.

You bought a record knowing it's crap for a protest.:roll: spending hard earned cash.

celtic1888
20-Dec-09, 12:48
just listened to the RATM song..

I like it..

doesnt much like an xmas number one though..

greenasiamcabbagelooking
20-Dec-09, 13:05
have already downloaded RATM, but for a bit of fun i'd love the Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody to be number one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

tonkatojo
20-Dec-09, 13:19
have already downloaded RATM, but for a bit of fun i'd love the Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody to be number one

Aye I'd go along with that version for no1.;) miles better than that RATM racket.

Kevin Milkins
20-Dec-09, 13:39

I had heard from someone else about this post and never got around to viewing it.

I love Bohemian Rhapsody, and I also like the Muppet's, so thanks for the link.:lol:

Metalattakk
20-Dec-09, 14:29
You bought a record knowing it's crap for a protest.:roll: spending hard earned cash.

£0.29 from www.amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-In-The-Name-Explicit/dp/B001I4NZP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1261315647&sr=1-1).

Hardly breaking the bank...:roll:

Liz
20-Dec-09, 14:45
I wouldna pay 29p for it!:lol:

This should be No 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79m-O9f5qr0

Shabbychic
20-Dec-09, 15:23
There are some good send-up videos on youtube about X-factor and RATM. There's a good one in the Hitler Finds Out series, and also one by votejoe777.:D:D

ShelleyCowie
20-Dec-09, 16:34
£0.29 from www.amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-In-The-Name-Explicit/dp/B001I4NZP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1261315647&sr=1-1).

Hardly breaking the bank...:roll:

Agree wi ye ere. definetely worth e 29p lol

Guess it depends what kinda music folks are into. But i do like RATM! :Razz

Amy-Winehouse
20-Dec-09, 17:37

Yes I did [disgust] & thanks Metallattack for pointing out the price. Not much is it??
29p to keep Slugface Cowell`s karaoke star off the number 1 spot , Ill sleep well tonight if RATM does the business . Then I will put it on ebay and sell it.

Mystical Potato Head
20-Dec-09, 18:38

Well as a fifty year old parent i'm with the kids and hope RATM do make the No1 spot.I'm sick of hearing typical banal xfactor songs,verse chorus, verse,chorus,bridge and then guess what comes next,oh yes,a key change.
X factor is about as bland and mind numbing as music can get,pure pop pap,totally devoid of any originality.

Loafer
20-Dec-09, 19:44
Any song downloaded that costs less than 40p doesn't count towards the charts....

The Loafer

bettedaviseyes
20-Dec-09, 19:49
Rage Agaisnt The Machine is number one in the charts:lol:

greenasiamcabbagelooking
20-Dec-09, 19:51
excellent news !!

poor Joe, maybe next year eh ? (if anyone still remembers who he is by next xmas)

Amy-Winehouse
20-Dec-09, 19:53
:DGet in , yeeehah[lol]

Fluff
20-Dec-09, 19:55
woo hoo!!

loganbiffy
20-Dec-09, 19:57
First great Christmas number 1 in about 8 years or so............... :D

PartChimp
20-Dec-09, 20:00
Awesome!! :D

Absolutely delighted that Rage took the number 1 spot! :lol:

ShelleyCowie
20-Dec-09, 20:05
AWSOME!!!!!!!!

Made ma day now! Wooooooooooooo! :Razz

Jeid
20-Dec-09, 20:16
I'm obviously well chuffed.

joxville
20-Dec-09, 20:54
I can't stand the either song but am glad that Simon Cowell's manufactured pap isn't No. 1, though I do feel sorry for Joe being caught in a mess not of his making.

golach
20-Dec-09, 21:07
I can't stand the either song but am glad that Simon Cowell's manufactured pap isn't No. 1, though I do feel sorry for Joe being caught in a mess not of his making.

Hear Hear Jox

Boozeburglar
20-Dec-09, 22:15
Delighted too, even though I don't care, sort of..

The thing I like is Cowell calling this stupid and an insult to viewers of X Factor.

He he, he really does not do irony.

:)

Metalattakk
20-Dec-09, 22:45
Any song downloaded that costs less than 40p doesn't count towards the charts....

The Loafer

That's a dealer price of 40p, not the recommended retail price. There is a difference.

Page 15 of:
http://www.theofficialcharts.com/docs/Official%20UK%20Singles%20Chart%20Rules%20August%2 02009.pdf

The seller (in this case Amazon) must buy the product from the record label (in this case, Sony) for no less than 40p. What they sell it on for is up to them, hence the loss-leader 29p price that they charged.

They also sold Joe's download single for the same price.

zappster
20-Dec-09, 22:59
Brilliant news i am totally chuffed to bits!

dragonfly
20-Dec-09, 23:08
while I'm glad the Xfactor reign has come to an end I am sad that it wasn't a Xmas song that was being campaigned for as I feel that would have been more appropriate at this time of year than RATM's record

Metalattakk
20-Dec-09, 23:17
while I'm glad the Xfactor reign has come to an end I am sad that it wasn't a Xmas song that was being campaigned for as I feel that would have been more appropriate at this time of year than RATM's record

*What could be more appropriate than a song whose venomous, angst-ridden, vitriolic closing refrain of "Forget you, I won't do what you tell me" is spat out 16 times in a row, followed by the unforgettable spine-tingling primal scream of "Melon-Farmer!"

Absolutely fantastic song, and a brilliant choice by those who started this campaign.

*Lyrics changed, obviously.

dragonfly
20-Dec-09, 23:20
*What could be more appropriate than a song whose venomous, angst-ridden, vitriolic closing refrain of "Forget you, I won't do what you tell me" is spat out 16 times in a row, followed by the unforgettable spine-tingling primal scream of "Melon-Farmer!"

Absolutely fantastic song, and a brilliant choice by those who started this campaign.

*Lyrics changed, obviously.

:roll: whatever floats your boat!

Liz
20-Dec-09, 23:46

I totally agree with you Dragonfly. We won't be singing 'Killing In The Name' around the Christmas tree that's for sure!:confused

Metalattakk
20-Dec-09, 23:48
I totally agree with you Dragonfly. We won't be singing 'I Won't Do What You Told Me' around the Christmas tree that's for sure!:confused
You can always sing the Ex Factor's latest turgid drivel instead. ;)

Liz
20-Dec-09, 23:50
You can always sing the Ex Factor's latest turgid drivel instead. ;)

No wouldn't want to sing it either!

Jeid
21-Dec-09, 00:26
I think this year may well be the first year that I'll be playing the Xmas number one on Xmas day :)

Blarney
21-Dec-09, 00:39
Well as a fifty year old parent i'm with the kids and hope RATM do make the No1 spot.I'm sick of hearing typical banal xfactor songs,verse chorus, verse,chorus,bridge and then guess what comes next,oh yes,a key change.
X factor is about as bland and mind numbing as music can get,pure pop pap,totally devoid of any originality.
Yes it's predictable but an awful lot of people like it enough to buy it and they do it of their own free will -they're not part of a conspiracy to 'Rage against the Machine' and hijack the number one spot! Personally, I don't give a toss who is at no. 1 because I wouldn't buy or listen to either but it's all a matter of personal taste and the world would be a very insipid place if we all had the same taste in everything. Love him or loathe him, you have to agree that Simon Cowell is a pretty astute businessman.....and I wouldn't mind a share of his millions!

loganbiffy
21-Dec-09, 00:49
Yes it's predictable but an awful lot of people like it enough to buy it and they do it of their own free will -they're not part of a conspiracy to 'Rage against the Machine' and hijack the number one spot!

Hijack the number one spot? I don't understand what you mean? It wasn't anyones to hijack.
People bought each record with their own free will (as stated by yourself) so all this talk of hijack is nonsense.

Boozeburglar
21-Dec-09, 01:45
Totally agree, the Facebook campaign was just a less insidious mean of promotion than Cowell's machine.

Totally agree with Metalattakk too, this was the perfect song to choose.

It is the primal anithesis of the drivel Cowell's bloated bola machine pumps out.

Thinking about it now, it is a shame they did not choose AC/DC Waitin Round To Be A Millionaire....

:)

Green_not_greed
21-Dec-09, 09:41
Hopefully the message received by Cowell et al is that not all the UK public want to listen to the musical equivalent to a MacDonald's Happy Meal......

nicnic74
21-Dec-09, 09:54
What a heap of rubbish this song is

loganbiffy
21-Dec-09, 11:25
What a heap of rubbish this song is

In your opinion.
In my opinion there is finally some real music in the charts!
No more drab pop ballads that are bland and predictable, verse, chorus, verse, chorus................wait for it: key change!

At last the X-factor has been trounced.
Well done everyone who supported and purchased Rage Against The Machine and let's not forget, the proceeds from the single are being donated to charity by the band.

M R
21-Dec-09, 11:27
Well said logan, RATM Getting Rocked this XMAS...

nicnic74
21-Dec-09, 11:41
We are all entitled to our opinions, they are just a bunch o heed bangers, the only reason they got to no 1 is that it was a vendetta against Simon Cowell, least you can sing along to The Climb, u cant to that pure & utter rubbish which in my eyes is the worst ever christmas no 1. Hope it gets knocked of the top spot next week.
& that is my opinion as we are all allowed to have one.

Merry Crimbo everyone:)

Metalattakk
21-Dec-09, 12:40
We are all entitled to our opinions, they are just a bunch o heed bangers, the only reason they got to no 1 is that it was a vendetta against Simon Cowell, least you can sing along to The Climb, u cant to that pure & utter rubbish which in my eyes is the worst ever christmas no 1. Hope it gets knocked of the top spot next week.

So by your own reckoning only songs that you can sing along to are any good? :roll:

I think you are somewhat missing the point, both of this partricular campaign, and of music in general.

But at least you're right on one thing - it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how ill-conceived it actually is.

loganbiffy
21-Dec-09, 12:52

Why would you want to sing along to The Climb? It's bloody awful, slow, boring and very predictable.

And actually you can sing along to RATM, it's not that difficult when you know the words :)
Like I said previously, at last Simon Cowell and the X-Factor rubbish has been seen for what it is: absolutley awful, forced down your throat, watered-down mediocrity.

Music is a much better place without Simon Cowell, he thinks it's his god-given right to have a number 1 every chistmas. Guess what? He doesn't this year! :)

Invisible
21-Dec-09, 13:09
This thread has got me thinking, I am going to make a Facebook page for No Exit Wound to get Christmas No.1 2010.

Jeid
21-Dec-09, 13:26
While I can see that the song doesn't appeal to the masses, the same thing could be said about Miley Cy... I mean, Joe's song. I don't mind pop music, admittedly, I'm a huge Take That fan (I can admit it), but I'm a massive hard rock/metal fan as well. I appreciate all types of music. In fact, just the other night I found myself looking up Pet Shop Boys and Massive Attack on Spotify.

The thing about the Rage song is that it screams out for a generation, much like God Save The Queen did in the 70's. People are sick of this garbage that we're being spoonfed every Christmas... in fact, scrap that.. pretty much every week. How often do you hear a good rock song on mainstream radio? You don't. I don't mind the radio, I listen to it once in a while. I drive the whole time so when it's on, I can pretty much hear the entire top 40 in about 4 hours.

We've had some horrendous number ones. Bob The Builder, Mr Blobby to name two. The charts are a joke tbh.

At the same time, Rage Against The Machine are the only band to have hit number one from download sales alone. Not bad eh?

As Zach De La Rocha said on Radio 1 yesterday "I'd like to congratulate Joe and Simon for having the number two single at Christmas in the UK"

loganbiffy
21-Dec-09, 13:49
This thread has got me thinking, I am going to make a Facebook page for No Exit Wound to get Christmas No.1 2010.

Thanks Invisible.
It will take a hell of a lot more than a Facebook page lol. Probably a better song for a start haha.

For all the RATM haters, here is a "Christmas song" you could buy and get to number 1 next year :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2umxtA_sc

Mystical Potato Head
21-Dec-09, 14:37

Well at least it makes a change from the boring,predictable x factor "nice songs to sing along to" and what exactly is wrong with being a head banger?I love metal,heavy rock and also nice songs to sing along to if there is some originality to it.I listen to anything from Killswitch engage to Take That(rock on Jeid) so my opinion is not based on my dislike of a certain type of music.The x factor does nothing for music other than boost Cowell's already huge ego and bank balance.The show is all about him.
How many of the x factor winners will be remembered for their musical contribution in ten years time?Maybe one.

tonkatojo
21-Dec-09, 16:10
So by your own reckoning only songs that you can sing along to are any good? :roll:

I think you are somewhat missing the point, both of this partricular campaign, and of music in general.

But at least you're right on one thing - it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how ill-conceived it actually is.

Can you honestly say with hand on heart the current no1 is a song ??.:(

Metalattakk
21-Dec-09, 16:43
Can you honestly say with hand on heart the current no1 is a song ??.:(

Of course, what on earth do you think it is? A limerick? A soliloquy? :roll:

It may not be to your taste, but its musical quality is not in doubt.

And yes, I can sing along to it. ;)

tonkatojo
21-Dec-09, 16:46
Of course, what on earth do you think it is? A limerick? A soliloquy? :roll:

It may not be to your taste, but its musical quality is not in doubt.

And yes, I can sing along to it. ;)

I suppose your right in a democracy it takes all.

Metalattakk
21-Dec-09, 16:59
I suppose your right in a democracy it takes all.

Nothing to do with democracy. People don't vote for what is allowed to be a song and what isn't.

It's a piece of musical art. The definition is fairly clear - it's a song.

Now, whether you like it or not is a different matter, and it's entirely up to you to hold any opinion of it that you want.

I would suggest you give it another listen, but this time try to appreciate the meaning behind the lyrics, try to understand the choice of instrumentation and musical style, try to open your mind up to the wonderful portrayal of pure, unadulterated, venomous rebellion that the song evokes. Try to feel the power of the music.

Yes, it's noisy, it's brash and it's loud. It's not a twee, pretty, formulaic love song. And it's not these by accident, either.

Invisible
21-Dec-09, 17:08
Give it a rest all you pro Joe. Admit defeat. Rage won fair and square and that's that, no gurning about it no being a sing-a-long song, who cares. Is it really going to make your life better knowing manufactured pop will triumph over a band who actually write their own things. Harsh? maybe a little but it's all opinion

Rage against the moaners! :lol::lol:

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-09, 17:14
Am just delighted a band i lek has got Christmas no1 for a change! Im no a fan o the X-factor, and wanted somethin else til get a chance! RATM got it so am happy!

tonkatojo
21-Dec-09, 17:56
Nothing to do with democracy. People don't vote for what is allowed to be a song and what isn't.

It's a piece of musical art. The definition is fairly clear - it's a song.

Now, whether you like it or not is a different matter, and it's entirely up to you to hold any opinion of it that you want.

I would suggest you give it another listen, but this time try to appreciate the meaning behind the lyrics, try to understand the choice of instrumentation and musical style, try to open your mind up to the wonderful portrayal of pure, unadulterated, venomous rebellion that the song evokes. Try to feel the power of the music.

Yes, it's noisy, it's brash and it's loud. It's not a twee, pretty, formulaic love song. And it's not these by accident, either.

Done as you suggested and gave up again before I got a headache. But if its to your taste good on ya its not for me.

Boozeburglar
21-Dec-09, 21:32
At last the X-factor has been trounced.

Yeah, I am sure that small victory for heart felt music has soured Cowell's Christmas soup! ..what with an X Factor artist at #1 in the album chart, as well as the other X Factor artists in the 'serious' chart!

tootler
21-Dec-09, 23:20
RATM's song (Killing in the name) is genius. It's a VERY powerful statement protesting against the extreme racist violence that was ongoing in the late 20th Century in America (when this song was written) and in its carefully chosen lyrics makes pretty direct reference to the unwanted presence of KKK members in the American armed forces. It's a really important song and deserved the success it got first time around.

BUT it was a totally inappropriate choice for a British Christmas no. 1 - I am disappointed to read through this whole thread and see how many folk have gone out and bought this song without knowing or caring why it was written or what the vocalist is actually singing / shouting / swearing about with such a passion. It certainly has nothing to do with Simon Cowell - it holds a much more important message that has, unfortunately, been totally lost on the sheep that have gone out and bought it without even bothering to listen to it, just because they don't like Simon Cowell. :roll:

A very sad reflection on our current lack of cultural identity and lack of intelligence as a community. A great song wasted on an angry, deaf nation. Oh well. Merry Christmas, Everyone!! ;)

loganbiffy
21-Dec-09, 23:29
RATM's song (Killing in the name) is genius. It's a VERY powerful statement protesting against the extreme racist violence that was ongoing in the late 20th Century in America (when this song was written) and in its carefully chosen lyrics makes pretty direct reference to the unwanted presence of KKK members in the American armed forces. It's a really important song and deserved the success it got first time around.

BUT it was a totally inappropriate choice for a British Christmas no. 1 - I am disappointed to read through this whole thread and see how many folk have gone out and bought this song without knowing or caring why it was written or what the vocalist is actually singing / shouting / swearing about with such a passion. It certainly has nothing to do with Simon Cowell - it holds a much more important message that has, unfortunately, been totally lost on the sheep that have gone out and bought it without even bothering to listen to it, just because they don't like Simon Cowell. :roll:

A very sad reflection on our current lack of cultural identity and lack of intelligence as a community. A great song wasted on an angry, deaf nation. Oh well. Merry Christmas, Everyone!! ;)

I'm not sure how accurate your statement is. Being a Rage fan for many years, I knew what the song was about and I think the majority of people who bought the single had some idea (the lyrics are a bit of a giveaway).

As for it being an "inappropriate number 1" i disagree. Who decides what is or is not fit to be a number 1?

As for the "sheep" that went out and bought it, couldn't the same be said about the people buying the X-Factor single or any other song for that matter? People like what they like.

Congratualtions to RATM.

loganbiffy
21-Dec-09, 23:32
Yeah, I am sure that small victory for heart felt music has soured Cowell's Christmas soup! ..what with an X Factor artist at #1 in the album chart, as well as the other X Factor artists in the 'serious' chart!

Yeah, cause the whole point of it was to stop him making money.........

It's a victory for originality and passion, 2 fundamental things X-Factor contestants lack.

Boozeburglar
22-Dec-09, 00:12
Yeah, cause the whole point of it was to stop him making money.........

It's a victory for originality and passion, 2 fundamental things X-Factor contestants lack.

It is a victory for originality?

As far as I am aware the majority of people downloaded it because it was the suggested download, not because they were struck by the originality.

If this campaign had got behind an unknown act and it had got to the top ten maybe there could be some argument for that.

I am happy it happened, but it does not really mean much at all. Just an indicator of the power of campaigning via social networking sites.

Who is to say the next big Facebook campaign is not going to be for a Peter Andre tune?

(I like him, so I would not mind..)

One other thing, while I don't like X Factor as a format, I have seen one or two passionate singers on it.

loganbiffy
22-Dec-09, 01:06
It is a victory for originality?

As far as I am aware the majority of people downloaded it because it was the suggested download, not because they were struck by the originality.

One other thing, while I don't like X Factor as a format, I have seen one or two passionate singers on it.

I was meaning the originality of the song. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last 4 christmas number 1's have been X-Factor winners/runners up and they have all been cover songs? Therefore making RATM this year a victory for originality, see what I mean now?

1 or 2 passionate singers from how many singers on how many series of X-Factor? Not a great return is it?
It's all very well being a passionate singer but it gets ultimately boring when they can't write their own songs to go with it.
I'm curious to see where Joe will end up in a year or 2.

Amy-Winehouse
22-Dec-09, 09:01

I dont see how my dislike of Simon cowell & him banking on the public to make him & his regime number 1 in the xmas top 40 a SHEEP ????

RATM, I listened to it for the 4th time & the lyrics are , well not christmas special but they do have a point to put across. Its growing on me is what I will say....

X factor Joe`s tune was wishy washy drivel as you would expect. So Im delighted Cowell is angry, One mans domination is not good for society

tootler
22-Dec-09, 12:26
I was meaning the originality of the song. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last 4 christmas number 1's have been X-Factor winners/runners up and they have all been cover songs? Therefore making RATM this year a victory for originality, see what I mean now?

This song is hardly news!!! It's the best part of two decades old... :roll:

But I do agree it would be nice to hear young British singers singing their own NEW songs - as long as we keep buying old American songs, we'll keep hearing old American songs. Nothing wrong with that, if you value their culture more than ours! ;)

Shabbychic
22-Dec-09, 12:30
Well jings crivens and help ma boab, I finally plucked up the courage to listen to wee Joe's song, well a couple of seconds of it anyway. That was supposed to be the Xmas number one? :eek:

It's what I call "suicide music". Mind you, the words appear to be very relevant to what has happened to poor wee Joe.

I can almost see it
That dream I'm dreaming but
There's a voice inside my head sayin,
You'll never reach it.

Nae wonder you didnae reach it son. Come back Bob the builder and Mr Blobby, all is forgiven. :D

tootler
22-Dec-09, 12:44
As for it being an "inappropriate number 1" i disagree. Who decides what is or is not fit to be a number 1?

Christmas is supposed to be a time of goodwill. This song has nothing at all to do with goodwill. Quite the opposite, in fact! It is a song which is purely about hatred. That is what makes it inappropriate, not for the no.1 spot, but certainly for the CHRISTMAS no.1 spot. Surely the majority of people can agree that these are not lyrics they would really want to share with their family on Christmas Day, of all days...?!

This whole episode is a sad reflection of the state of our society - we are constantly fighting against what we don't want instead of actively choosing what we DO want.

Try making positive choices in 2010 and see how much better your life gets. :D

Tubthumper
22-Dec-09, 12:52
This whole episode is a sad reflection of the state of our society - we are constantly fighting against what we don't want instead of actively choosing what we DO want.

Let's try making positive choices for 2010: Seek to NOT get involved in pointless wars: Choose NOT to squander all our resources on overpaid gits who don't add anything to our country: Actually DO something about bigotry, racism, hatred, poverty etc.
RATM's song is about fighting against hatred, discrimination, bigotry and violence. Some people prefer to consider poor wee Joe's apocalyptic struggle, though. The Climb?

Pah!

tootler
22-Dec-09, 13:45
You're still fighting, TubThumper! ;)

loganbiffy
22-Dec-09, 13:58
Christmas is supposed to be a time of goodwill. This song has nothing at all to do with goodwill. Quite the opposite, in fact! It is a song which is purely about hatred. That is what makes it inappropriate, not for the no.1 spot, but certainly for the CHRISTMAS no.1 spot. Surely the majority of people can agree that these are not lyrics they would really want to share with their family on Christmas Day, of all days...?!

But who made up the rules that what is number 1 at Christmas has to be a Christmas song? Exactly, there are no rules.
I'm just glad it's not some appalling cover from an X-Factor contestant for a change.
I know what Killing in the Name is about and can see why people find it "inappropriate" for Xmas number 1, however, it is now Xmas number 1 so I guess people will have to deal with it.
If you are worried about it offending families on Christmas day, I don't see that as as issue at all, they simply put on their own choice of music.

Everyone has own opinion blah blah blah, it's at number 1 for Xmas, I'll enjoy it thank you very much.

Invisible
22-Dec-09, 14:15
But who made up the rules that what is number 1 at Christmas has to be a Christmas song?

Didn't mad world by Gary Jules get No.1? - that wasn't xmas song

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 14:18
But who made up the rules that what is number 1 at Christmas has to be a Christmas song? Exactly, there are no rules.
I'm just glad it's not some appalling cover from an X-Factor contestant for a change.
I know what Killing in the Name is about and can see why people find it "inappropriate" for Xmas number 1, however, it is now Xmas number 1 so I guess people will have to deal with it.
If you are worried about it offending families on Christmas day, I don't see that as as issue at all, they simply put on their own choice of music.

Everyone has own opinion blah blah blah, it's at number 1 for Xmas, I'll enjoy it thank you very much.

Why do none of you pro "killing in the name" fans publish the lyrics on here ??.
Could it be they are not worthy of our org ??
Why was this "song" not played/sung at the Night Of Heroes awards last night??
Why was Joes ??.
Just being curious .

Jeid
22-Dec-09, 14:50
Sorry, but this thread actually makes me lol now. Joe admitted defeat graciously, all you lot are doing are whining like bairns.

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 14:53
Sorry, but this thread actually makes me lol now. Joe admitted defeat graciously, all you lot are doing are whining like bairns.

When you have stopped laughing could you answer the above questions ??.

tootler
22-Dec-09, 15:42
Why do none of you pro "killing in the name" fans publish the lyrics on here ??.
Could it be they are not worthy of our org ??
Why was Joes ??.
Just being curious .

The lyrics contain language that is not tolerated by the admins of the org and is not tolerated by the board of the BBC and, really, if we lived in a truly civilised, positive society, would not be necessary at all. That's why you're not seeing them here or hearing them on TV. Nice, eh? :roll:

If you really want to know the lyrics of "Killing in the Name" just use your search engine and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for, but if you're actually just looking for a Merry Christmas and/or are easily offended, then best look elsewhere!

tootler
22-Dec-09, 15:49

Of course it doesn't have to be a Christmas song, but surely it would be more appropriate for the Xmas no.1 to be a song that contains language and sentiment suitable for all of society to hear and, hopefully, enjoy, rather than one that responsible organisations feel the need to censor or ban completely, don't you think?!

Blah, blah, blah... I also enjoy the power of this song. But the lyrics are intended to offend and they do.

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 15:49
The lyrics contain language that is not tolerated by the admins of the org and is not tolerated by the board of the BBC and, really, if we lived in a truly civilised, positive society, would not be necessary at all. That's why you're not seeing them here or hearing them on TV. Nice, eh? :roll:

If you really want to know the lyrics of "Killing in the Name" just use your search engine and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for, but if you're actually just looking for a Merry Christmas and/or are easily offended, then best look elsewhere!

Yeah your right in fact I think you will find using that sort of language is illegal in public.

What's your answer to the other questions ??. Thanks.

Jeid
22-Dec-09, 15:58
Illegal? Can you in fact point me in the direction of your source of information for that please?

If this is true, there should be a lot of people going to jail for such language... especially bands.

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 16:00
Illegal? Can you in fact point me in the direction of your source of information for that please?

If this is true, there should be a lot of people going to jail for such language... especially bands.

Ask a police why its not enforced.

Jeid
22-Dec-09, 16:10
No no, you said it was illegal, where's the proof to backup what you're saying?

Granted, harassing an individual or indeed a Police officer in a way that may cause alarm or distress would likely lead to you being prosecuted, but to actually swear in public doesn't seem to be illegal.

Any proof to backup what your saying to prove me wrong would be grand though, I'm not totally sure I'm correct.

Shabbychic
22-Dec-09, 16:10
Why was Joes ??.
Just being curious .

What has that got to do with the price of butter? :confused It's the Xmas number 1 we are talking about, not what to play at the Night of Heroes Awards. Do you think if Mr Blobby was number 1 they would have played that last night?

Jeid
22-Dec-09, 16:16
Do you think if Mr Blobby was number 1 they would have played that last night?

An excellent retort. :lol:

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 16:39
What has that got to do with the price of butter? :confused It's the Xmas number 1 we are talking about, not what to play at the Night of Heroes Awards. Do you think if Mr Blobby was number 1 they would have played that last night?

Who is talking about butter ??

I thought it was an open debate.

Mr Blobby, probably as these heroes would enjoy some humour.

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 16:43

Granted, harassing an individual or indeed a Police officer in a way that may cause alarm or distress would likely lead to you being prosecuted, but to actually swear in public doesn't seem to be illegal.

Any proof to backup what your saying to prove me wrong would be grand though, I'm not totally sure I'm correct.

This is what I could find in a hurry, but I will try and source better.

Yes it is an offence. It is Section 5 of the Public Order Act. The full offence wording is longer but he has basically used words intended to cause alarm, harassment or distress.

It's nothing to do with the government preventing free speech or misplaced priorities. Foul language has no place in public and the Public Order Act is a necessary and useful tool for the Police.

If he has not been to court then he has been either reprimanded, cautioned, given a final warning or given a fixed penalty notice for disorder.

These all amount to a criminal record of sorts, they may not show up on a Criminal Records Bureau check and after a certain length of time you do not have to declare them to prospective employers BUT they are stored on Police records and will be viewable should he apply for a sensitive job such as trying to join the Police.
Source(s):
Serving PC

Shabbychic
22-Dec-09, 16:48
Who is talking about butter ??

I thought it was an open debate.

Mr Blobby, probably as these heroes would enjoy some humour.

Butter has as much relevance to this topic as what to play at the Night of Heroes awards.

I thought it was a debate about the Xmas number 1.

Yes I'm sure the lads would have enjoyed some humour. Maybe Joe provided that.:)

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 16:55
Butter has as much relevance to this topic as what to play at the Night of Heroes awards.

I thought it was a debate about the Xmas number 1.

Yes I'm sure the lads would have enjoyed some humour. Maybe Joe provided that.:)

He probably did to some, what do you think your lot would have gone down like ??.

Tubthumper
22-Dec-09, 16:58
Squaddies tend to swear quite a bit. They're also often keen on loud and raucous music. It's important to remember that they're ordinary young men & women, being asked to do an extraordinary task, on behalf of those of us who cannot (or will not) do it ourselves.
Don't make saints out of them; just appreciate what they're doing.

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 16:59

This might be more relevant.

Public Order Act 1986

1986 CHAPTER 64

An Act to abolish the common law offences of riot, rout, unlawful assembly and affray and certain statutory offences relating to public order; to create new offences relating to public order; to control public processions and assemblies; to control the stirring up of racial hatred; to provide for the exclusion of certain offenders from sporting events; to create a new offence relating to the contamination of or interference with goods; to confer power to direct certain trespassers to leave land; to amend section 7 of the Conspiracy and Protection of Property Act 1875, section 1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Part V of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980 and the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985; to repeal certain obsolete or unnecessary enactments; and for connected purposes

[7th November 1986
]
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:–

[4A Intentional harassment, alarm or distress]

[(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.

(2) An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the person who is harassed, alarmed or distressed is also inside that or another dwelling.

(3) It is a defence for the accused to prove—

(a) that he was inside a dwelling and had no reason to believe that the words or behaviour used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation displayed, would be heard or seen by a person outside that or any other dwelling, or

(b) that his conduct was reasonable.

(4) A constable may arrest without warrant anyone he reasonably suspects is committing an offence under this section.

(5) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.]

NOTES

Shabbychic
22-Dec-09, 17:03
He probably did to some, what do you think your lot would have gone down like ??.

My hubbie is an ex-squaddie, and he told me exactly what it would have gone down like. And he also told me how Joe's wee song would have gone down. :)

Oh, and what's my lot? Go on...do tell..I'm dying to know.:D

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 17:04
Squaddies tend to swear quite a bit. They're also often keen on loud and raucous music. It's important to remember that they're ordinary young men & women, being asked to do an extraordinary task, on behalf of those of us who cannot (or will not) do it ourselves.
Don't make saints out of them; just appreciate what they're doing.

Read the lyrics Tubs, I doubt any squaddie I served with would find them amusing.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 17:05
Oh deary me...:confused

Put it this way, if people did not want RATM to be number 1 at christmas then they should have bought the other downloads.

I know of alot of RATM fans, me being one of them. I think its great that the money raised is going to charity.

And for people who are saying they cant really imagine playing the Christmas no1 on christmas day....do you not think it would just be hilarious to hear on christmas day (even if your not a fan). Either that...or just dont listen to it.

Simple as that! :Razz

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 17:07
My hubbie is an ex-squaddie, and he told me exactly what it would have gone down like. And he also told me how Joe's wee song would have gone down. :)

Oh, and what's my lot? Go on...do tell..I'm dying to know.:D

Rage Against The Machine, I think you call them.

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 17:08
Oh deary me...:confused

Put it this way, if people did not want RATM to be number 1 at christmas then they should have bought the other downloads.

I know of alot of RATM fans, me being one of them. I think its great that the money raised is going to charity.

And for people who are saying they cant really imagine playing the Christmas no1 on christmas day....do you not think it would just be hilarious to hear on christmas day (even if your not a fan). Either that...or just dont listen to it.

Simple as that! :Razz

Shelly its not the actual band nor the fact they got to no1, its the lyrics. To me anyway.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 17:14
Shelly its not the actual band nor the fact they got to no1, its the lyrics. To me anyway.

Aw right ok. I get ye now tonka! ;)

I cant say much, i really enjoy harsh/brutal music so the language in the songs doesnt bother me too much. Wouldnt let the kids hear it though.

But i do see where you are coming from, such lyrics are not to everybodys taste.

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 17:20
Aw right ok. I get ye now tonka! ;)

I cant say much, i really enjoy harsh/brutal music so the language in the songs doesnt bother me too much. Wouldnt let the kids hear it though.

But i do see where you are coming from, such lyrics are not to everybodys taste.

Shelly, head banging music doesn't bother me as long as I'm not there LOL.

Why don't you want the kids to hear it ??. I know its obvious but give me your reasons.PLS.

Tubthumper
22-Dec-09, 17:22
Read the lyrics Tubs, I doubt any squaddie I served with would find them amusing.
I don't think they're lyrics in the conventional sense. The squaddies I served with enjoyed a wide range of music and, on a typical Friday night in Falingbostel, a track such as this would have gone down a treat. Along with Abba, Sex Pistols, whatever crappy pop & disco songs were on the go at the time. Poor wee Joe, however, would not.
Also, the squaddies I served with (and I left around the time 'Killing In The Name Of...' was released) were not at all amused at the Rodney King beating case which was so closely associated with RATM at that time.

It's just a bit of music for heavens sake!

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 17:31
Shelly, head banging music doesn't bother me as long as I'm not there LOL.

Why don't you want the kids to hear it ??. I know its obvious but give me your reasons.PLS.

Lol well yes firstly the swearing (young ears) but also i dont want them to have to listen to the music i do, its their choice as to what type of music they will like.

Athrun being only 14 months old is a very keen Muse fan! (like me and his dad) cos he will dance for hours to that. The older 2 are not so keen on music yet. But they will be.

Also i dont just get a good listen out of a song, i take alot from them. Listen to the lyrics and make them mean something. For example - System of a Down - BYOB

That song has alot of meaning. But thats my opinion! ;)

Tubthumper
22-Dec-09, 17:33
Chop Suey!

tonkatojo
22-Dec-09, 17:33
I don't think they're lyrics in the conventional sense. The squaddies I served with enjoyed a wide range of music and, on a typical Friday night in Falingbostel, a track such as this would have gone down a treat. Along with Abba, Sex Pistols, whatever crappy pop & disco songs were on the go at the time. Poor wee Joe, however, would not.
Also, the squaddies I served with (and I left around the time 'Killing In The Name Of...' was released) were not at all amused at the Rodney King beating case which was so closely associated with RATM at that time.

It's just a bit of music for heavens sake!

Its not the "music" just those lyrics, I don't follow this groups "songs" so I couldn't comment on others, honestly I just googled the lyrics out of curiosity and the rest is history. As for Joes type of song, we played even sang all sorts including loads of ballads in our barracks, and swore like troopers, but not at or in public. Different generations I suppose I need to move with the times or keep taking the flack LOL.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-09, 17:34
Chop Suey!

classic!! Love that song too! Not forgetting Aerials. ;)

Tubthumper
22-Dec-09, 17:43
Different generations I suppose I need to move with the times or keep taking the flack LOL.
Funny isn't it? It all seems like yesterday, the pictures I have in my head are of vibrant young fools, living for today, every second like it was the last. Yet now we meet up, we're all getting grey and bald, fat, mortgages, divorces, grandkids even...
Doesn't take long to go out of date these days, does it?
The only thing I can say is that many kids today like the same stuff my dad warned me about 30 years ago...

Jeid
23-Dec-09, 11:45
I was talking to someone about this yesterday and they had an interesting thought about this.

Rage Against The Machine are a political band, all their views are very politically based and they fight causes etc.

What she said was that she never thought that RATM would get to number one, but it shows that if people get together behind something, they can make a difference. It was likely bought by a lot of people between 15 and 30 and then spread out a bit over the older generation. How many people in this 15-30 age group have any political views? Not many. I'm 26 and I've never voted. But this goes to show that your vote does count. A lot of people won't realise it, but getting RATM was probably the first time they got behind something and made a difference for themselves. Sure, it was a noisy rock song... but gotta start somewhere.

Tubthumper
23-Dec-09, 13:20
I reckon many younger people are chuffed because for once they made an impact. I used to think that voting was worthwhile ('Millions gave their lives so you could vote...' etc) however now it seems that whatever I do, I get screwed and someone else ends up with all the cash.
At least this method gives you something to show for your efforts, in the form of an MP3 file: Election voting just gives you an MP, which costs a lot, suffers corruption and doesn't offer much entertainment at all.
Maybe if there was a better form of reward for bothering to vote, for instance in the shape of a country that actually functioned, more folk would bother.

northener
23-Dec-09, 14:58
We've had it knocked into us, by an industry that is hungry for our cash, that Christmas is a time when we should be spending our money on mawkish, sub-standard sentimental claptrap as opposed to music that can stand upon it's own merit or that actually means something.

Get some jingly bells on the soundtrack, a few references to Christmas, a video containing cute kids in bright wooly hats (preferably in snow - and at least one kid could be disabled to add extra blubbering factor*) and watch the muppets buy into it. Cynical marketing at it's best.

It's funny how some of the most memorable 'pop' Christmas songs are: I Believe by Greg Lake, Fairytale of New York by Macoll & The Pogues and Jona Louis' Stop the Cavalry. Three songs that certainly don't conform to the sickly standard Xmas drivel format.

* Damn, I'm good, I ought to work in the music video industries marketing arm! :Razz

Tubthumper
24-Dec-09, 01:09
It's funny how some of the most memorable 'pop' Christmas songs are: I Believe by Greg Lake...
... the Christmas we get, we deserve.

Metalattakk
24-Dec-09, 03:42
Christmas is supposed to be a time of goodwill. This song has nothing at all to do with goodwill. Quite the opposite, in fact! It is a song which is purely about hatred. That is what makes it inappropriate, not for the no.1 spot, but certainly for the CHRISTMAS no.1 spot.

Tell that to Shelter, who stand to make a fair old sum of cash from the campaign so far. Rage Against The Machine themselves have promised to donate much of their profits from the single to Shelter too. How is this against the spirit of Christmas?

Where are wee Joe's profits going? Do you think Mr Cowell will be donating his profits to charity?