PDA

View Full Version : The most expensive bus fare ever?

2little2late
19-Dec-09, 00:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8421478.stm

The Angel Of Death
19-Dec-09, 09:10
Now this is what gets me taking nothing away from the crime itself but why is someone jailed indefinitely and to serve at least three-and-a-half years for something like this ?

Did he kill anyone has he been grooming kids has he raped murdered and eaten anyone no he stole a bus and took it on a wee joyride

The main issue I have is the next person who kills someone via dangerous driving or beats someone up to within an inch of there life will prob get away with a fortnight in butlins

But to jail someone indefinitely for that isn't right me thinks I was under the impression that indefinitely rule was only to be used where crimes were so bad it was a severe risk to release into the public domain not for having off we a bus on a joyride

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 10:30
Now this is what gets me taking nothing away from the crime itself but why is someone jailed indefinitely and to serve at least three-and-a-half years for something like this ?

Did he kill anyone has he been grooming kids has he raped murdered and eaten anyone no he stole a bus and took it on a wee joyride

The main issue I have is the next person who kills someone via dangerous driving or beats someone up to within an inch of there life will prob get away with a fortnight in butlins

But to jail someone indefinitely for that isn't right me thinks I was under the impression that indefinitely rule was only to be used where crimes were so bad it was a severe risk to release into the public domain not for having off we a bus on a joyride

I don't think he was jailed for taken a bus on a "wee joyride".:confused

This guy is a seriously unbalanced individual that has the potential to be a multiple killer with a total disregard for his actions. :eek:

I wonder what the headlines would be if he was given community service and then went on to fulfill his potential??????

Leanne
19-Dec-09, 12:32

I think the issue was that he did nearly kill someone through dangerous driving. Did you actually read the article - 2 people were injured...

The Angel Of Death
19-Dec-09, 12:49
I think the issue was that he did nearly kill someone through dangerous driving. Did you actually read the article - 2 people were injured...

Yes I did and I don't condone the crime the main point I'm getting at here if people do far worse and get a far less sentence and not an indefinite locking up order

Think about it this way yes he pinched the bus but did he actually go out and say well now I have pinched it I'm going to try and run people down? Not like some people who actually go out and do bad stuff premeditated with intent who get a poxy sentence that amounts to nothing

tonkatojo
19-Dec-09, 13:01
Yes I did and I don't condone the crime the main point I'm getting at here if people do far worse and get a far less sentence and not an indefinite locking up order

Think about it this way yes he pinched the bus but did he actually go out and say well now I have pinched it I'm going to try and run people down? Not like some people who actually go out and do bad stuff premeditated with intent who get a poxy sentence that amounts to nothing

Most people are aware of the stupid sentencing that comes from the courts, most judges are dodders that still think in terms of Dick Turpin. I get your point though theft is theft, even the politicians can and do twist the meaning of the word when it suits them. Commit a crime against big business and expect a jail term commit the same offence against a member of the public and see the difference.

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 13:57
Most people are aware of the stupid sentencing that comes from the courts, most judges are dodders that still think in terms of Dick Turpin. I get your point though theft is theft, even the politicians can and do twist the meaning of the word when it suits them. Commit a crime against big business and expect a jail term commit the same offence against a member of the public and see the difference.

I am not even sure that the theft is the issue with this guy, it was just an indication of what he is capable of without any sense of responsibility.

Had he crashed the bus head on into a someone doing the school run and caused death by dangerous driving, would we have viewed his crime as "just a wee joy ride"?
The fact that no one was seriously injured or killed during this thirty mile chase was more down to luck than his good driving skills and I don't think he would have cared if it had been a different outcome.
That is why he recieved such a stiff sentence.

The Angel Of Death
19-Dec-09, 15:02
Ask yourself the question does this warrent potention locking up forever tag?

I mean with all the bad stuff happening in the world today i just dont see how this is something that can be classed as so bad your potentually never going to get out of the pokie

tonkatojo
19-Dec-09, 15:17
I don't think he was jailed for taken a bus on a "wee joyride".:confused

This guy is a seriously unbalanced individual that has the potential to be a multiple killer with a total disregard for his actions. :eek:

I wonder what the headlines would be if he was given community service and then went on to fulfill his potential??????

I don't for one minute condone what he done, it's the inconsistency of the sentences that I'm on about. The so called "joyriding" in any stolen vehicle could end up a disaster but they don't get 3 years for it.

Kevin Milkins
19-Dec-09, 15:21
Ask yourself the question does this warrent potention locking up forever tag?

I mean with all the bad stuff happening in the world today i just dont see how this is something that can be classed as so bad your potentually never going to get out of the pokie

I doubt very much that he will be locked up forever, but be monitored to access if he really is as dangerous and irresponsible as he first appears to be.

His long term liberty is very much in his own hands really as it is unlikely that they will keep him incarcerated indefinitely just because they can.

I know what you mean by your original post, that the crime does not seem to fit punishment in many cases, but this guy is an oddball that needs close attention.

hunter
19-Dec-09, 21:35
The most expensive bus fare ever? £74 one-way from Edinburgh to Caithness at Easter.

My mum has a bus pass for free travel and was going to get the coach from her home in Fife to Thurso. Total price - £1 (seat reservations).

She'd just come out of hospital, so I thought it'd be easier if she came by plane, so I spent £99 on a single ticket with Flybe from Edinburgh to Wick.

The incoming flight never arrived at Edinburgh, so Flybe laid on a mini-bus to take the passengers to Caithness.

I asked for my money back.

Flybe washed their hands of it and passed it to Loganair, who said I wasn't entitled to anything. I wrote again, and was offered £25, on the basis that the cost per passenger of hiring a bus was £74.

I complained to Flybe, trading standards and the air transport users council, but alas without success.

The irony, of course, was that she could've travelled by bus for nothing in the first place.