PDA

View Full Version : maniac dogs.

cuddlepop
18-Dec-09, 10:50
This is "sort" of funny but could have been so different.

To cut a very long story short, I had to leave the house in a hurry yesterday to sort out an overnight bag for a hospital stay for a member of my family so maybe the dogs picked up on my distress.

Got back to a notice from a courier company stuck to my door informing me my dogs were maniac and my purchases were elsewhere.
The dogs were in the hall,I had shut the living room door before I left so I can only assume the wee one opened it,she's very agile with her paws but that would mean she had to hold the handle down and pull the door towards her.

We know the driver so had a laugh but with this new law coming into force I would be the one in trouble even though they entered my premises.:(

froal
18-Dec-09, 19:34
Sounds as thou they had fun while you were away :D poor courier ! least you know your house is safe while your away.
We had a dog that could open doors just like that so had to lock them in the house even if we were just outside lets hope they don't learn the rest of the doors....!!!!!! :roll:

brandy
18-Dec-09, 20:00
what knew law? and if they had entered your house without your permission wouldnt that be breaking and entering?

Leanne
18-Dec-09, 21:25
what knew law? and if they had entered your house without your permission wouldnt that be breaking and entering?

That's what I thought...

brandy
18-Dec-09, 21:32
now heres a question if a burglar broke into your home and your dog attacked them, would you and your dog be liable as the dog would be doing its job by protecting its home and pack? i know that bubbles barks like she is going to eat someone when a strange man comes into the house. i just put her in her crate, ask the person if he is willing to let her smell him and if not he has to deal with her barking until he leaves.

munron
18-Dec-09, 21:53
My dogs are like a pair of loons when anyone comes to the door but it is all fur coat and no knickers.

I said to someone once about training them not to do it and they suggested not to, they are not vicious but sound it and they advised if anyone came to your house with less than reasonable intentions it would put them off.

In saying that I really wish they wouldnt do it as it shatters my nerves when sproglet asleep.

cuddlepop
18-Dec-09, 23:19

Hopefully someone will give you the correct details but currently a bill is going through the Scottish parliament which was to included dogs that cuse fear and alarm to be included in the dangerous dog section.
So technically the postman could report your dog for causing him fear and alarm even if he didnt physically attack him.

It looks like a minefield of problems lie ahead for us dog lovers.:(

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/bills/29-dogControl/index.htm

cuddlepop
18-Dec-09, 23:26
Sounds as thou they had fun while you were away :D poor courier ! least you know your house is safe while your away.
We had a dog that could open doors just like that so had to lock them in the house even if we were just outside lets hope they don't learn the rest of the doors....!!!!!! :roll:

Lol the wee minx can get the back door open and then the porch door so if you want her to stay in the back garden you have to lock the door.:roll:

brandy
18-Dec-09, 23:43
ok read that but no where did i read that if someone comes into your home univited that it would relate to the dangerous dog act.
personally, i do not like how posties just open your door without knocking to put post in.
a private residence is just that, private.
and they have no right what so ever to open some ones door and come in.
bubbles does not like strange men, expecially in the house that she has not been introduced to. if the kids are in the house she is even more protective. outside she is fine, but inside her mind thinks.. this is my home.. who are you and why are you here.
when we have workmen in or visitors she does not know, she goes into her crate until first i accertain that the person is not afraid of her and is happy to meet her and be introduced. (obviously a large black barking dog is not comforting)
then i will bring her out and let her meet them, where she will stop barking as soon as shes introduced, try to kill them with the wagging tail and lick them to death.
however, if she is just laying in the house and some stranger comes in.. yes she will rush the door barking her head off.

donnick
19-Dec-09, 09:48
personally i don't mind the postie opening my door to chuck a parcel in, as if he didnt i wouldn't get it and by just opening the door he desent alert my dogs to him being there so he catches them unaware but that still doesnt stop my 2 Olly & Stan taking it off to there bed a ripping the guts out any thing they can get there paws on :lol: as they think EVERY parcel belongs to them and its there god given doggy right to open their parcels which does ever so slightly annoy my husband as it usually something to do with his golf :lol: