PDA

View Full Version : Teen Threatened with £5k fine

veritas
16-Dec-09, 22:29
This might seem a sport related topic but in my view it needs a general spot to try and give this lad support.

The general background is that a 15 year old lad has been filming Buckie Thistle HFL matches then posting on U Tube he had been giving a great service to lots of exciled football fans and I for one find them really good. The background to the story can be found on the P&J link http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1527916?UserKey=

Supporters are rallying to support this young lad against this crazy threat and have set up an online petition Please support this lad if you can

http://www.petitiononline.com/bjm/petition.html

Leanne
16-Dec-09, 22:36
Unfortunately he broke the rules :(

veritas
16-Dec-09, 22:42
Unfortunately he broke the rules :(

And so does every one with a mobile phone at concerts big football matches etc get a grip what harm is he doing the

The Highland League dont even have tv coverage so this is the only way that lads off shore aor overseas can get to see very small clips of football he is 15 year old lad with an interest in filming and does this at no cost or harm to any one

Leanne
16-Dec-09, 22:46
And so does every one with a mobile phone at concerts big football matches etc get a grip what harm is he doing the

The Highland League dont even have tv coverage so this is the only way that lads off shore aor overseas can get to see very small clips of football he is 15 year old lad with an interest in filming and does this at no cost or harm to any one

Unfortunately the people dishing the "fine" out don't see it that way. It isn't a fine he is being asked to pay for the rights. If he chooses not to pay it he cannot film any more... It isn't a fine :roll: The people with the mobiles aren't on the same level as someone setting up a camcorder.

And I do not appreciate being told to get a grip - you're the one ranting ;)

veritas
16-Dec-09, 22:52
Think you will find he was threatened with a fine its mentioned a number of times in the article and was quoted that term

He isnt doing this commercially but as a hobby which is giving the league free publicity

but as you say rules are rule s so we will all need to join you on your high moral grounds bet you follow all the rules

doug
16-Dec-09, 22:57
The people with the mobiles aren't on the same level as someone setting up a camcorder.

but surely its the same principle whether it be on the same level or not?? :Razz

Stavro
17-Dec-09, 00:29
This might seem a sport related topic but in my view it needs a general spot to try and give this lad support.

The general background is that a 15 year old lad has been filming Buckie Thistle HFL matches then posting on U Tube he had been giving a great service to lots of exciled football fans and I for one find them really good. The background to the story can be found on the P&J link http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1527916?UserKey=

Supporters are rallying to support this young lad against this crazy threat and have set up an online petition Please support this lad if you can

http://www.petitiononline.com/bjm/petition.html

Buckie Thistle should be delighted that someone would even WANT to film them.

Surely they should pay HIM? :lol:

veritas
17-Dec-09, 08:48
Buckie Thistle should be delighted that someone would even WANT to film them.

Surely they should pay HIM? :lol:

Hi Buckie Thistle are fully behind this lad so are all the fans of other HFL sides as far as I can see. It is the league management who have threatened him for no good reason other than their rules.

No other broadcaster etc shows any interest in the HFL so he isnt interfering with commercial organisations.

In this country we often speak out agianst bad rules and laws juts because its a rule doesnt make it right. We need to support this 15 year old who is doing it for a hobby we should applaud his interest and endeavor not slap him down

veritas
17-Dec-09, 10:51
New article apeared in todays Scotsman so pressure is ratchiting up on this.

one correction to article it is not Buckie Thistle who are threatening the teenager but came from the League secretary. BTFC fully support the lad

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Buckie-football-chiefs--to.5918668.jp

northener
17-Dec-09, 11:30
What a pompous bullying arse John Grant is.

If that's the standard of professionalism displayed by members of the Highland Leagues' governing body, then they should all resign - or prove otherwise by sacking this officious pedant immediately.

What sort of signal does this behaviour send out to young people who are ardent football fans and who are willing to devote their time and effort in a harmless hobby that other people can see the fruits of?

Margaret Smillie has it nailed down legally, this 'Secretary' doesn't even know the difference between copyright and exclusive right. Fancy threatening a 16 year old with an unenforceable "£5000 fine".

Idiot. Sack him.

BTW, I've signed the petition. Good luck. And I don't even like football.

Alice in Blunderland
17-Dec-09, 12:01
I see the petition is gathering a good few names. I also signed it earlier this morning and I am amazed at how many more signatures there are now. :)

veritas
17-Dec-09, 12:39
Well done direct action can change opinions

http://www.petitiononline.com/bjm/

Bazeye
17-Dec-09, 21:18
Hes not doing a recce for a terrorist attack is he?

peter macdonald
17-Dec-09, 22:27
I too signed this petition this morning.
Buckie Thistle have acted very well in this unlike the Highland League. John Grants action in demanding from a minor 5000 pounds is an absolute disgrace and for what? The youth had not broken any windows , or vandalised a car, he had not damaged anything ,,,he was just recording bits of a football match to send to ex pats around the world and to some disabled folks who cant manage to the games
A great gesture by a thoughtful young man
PM

Rheghead
18-Dec-09, 00:20
Why don't Buckie do their own youtube exerpts? I've heard that the skill and drama in Highland league matches anything that the Premier league can offer so my message to them is, Prove It!

jim baxter
18-Dec-09, 13:03
Why doesn't Buckie Thistle sponsor him and two fingers to John Grant

veritas
18-Dec-09, 13:37
Why doesn't Buckie Thistle sponsor him and two fingers to John Grant

The league seem to be doing a major rethink they have totally misjudged the opinion of the fans of HFL clubs the petition is fast approaching 1,000 and the tone of Eddie Innes and Co have totally changed

Keep up the pressure by signing the petition this lad deserves everyones support

Bazeye
18-Dec-09, 16:10
Google twohundredpercent, theres an article about it there.

upolian
18-Dec-09, 20:45
this is my mates best mate and i think it is shocking they are even contemplating handing out a 5k fine,whatever next!