PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Songs

RN1995
16-Dec-09, 19:24
Just Wandering what all you's orgers think the best Christmas song is ?

Mines is by far "Fairytale of New York" :D:D:D

Sandra_B
16-Dec-09, 19:29
Silent night

ShelleyCowie
16-Dec-09, 19:31
Fairytale of new york....genius!!

northener
16-Dec-09, 19:51
Fairytale gets my vote, absolutely. Mind you, I like traditional stuff as well.

'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' and Rosettis' 'In The Bleak Midwinter' take some beating.

Kodiak
16-Dec-09, 19:56
"Fairytale of New York" Never heard of it so I can not comment.

My personal Favourite is "Mistletoe and Wine" by Cliff Richard.

Phill
16-Dec-09, 19:57
Dub a dub a dum dum
Dub a dub a dum
Dub a dum dum dub a dub
Dub a dub a dum

But fairy tale is a close second, or maybe it is the best an......

LMS
16-Dec-09, 20:05
Fairytale gets my vote, absolutely. Mind you, I like traditional stuff as well.

'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' and Rosettis' 'In The Bleak Midwinter' take some beating.

Are they Christmassy enough though?

northener
16-Dec-09, 20:09
"Fairytale of New York" Never heard of it so I can not comment......

"Fairytale of New York" was written and sung by Shane MacGowan - lead singer with the Pogues ( a complete wreck of a man, but incredibly talented) and the late Kirsty Macoll - whose father is Ewan Macoll, the Folk singer.

Not your 'traditional' song, mind you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

northener
16-Dec-09, 20:10
Are they Christmassy enough though?

Picked for not being very Chrismassy....

You're on the naughty list now..........

redeyedtreefrog
16-Dec-09, 20:11
Fairytale of New York is my favourite, followed by "Proper Crimbo" then the one that goes dum-a dum-a dum-dum...

Rheghead
16-Dec-09, 20:19
A Spaceman Came Travelling.

Aaldtimer
16-Dec-09, 20:23
"I'm walking backwards to Christmas" by Spike Milligan!!!:lol:

joxville
16-Dec-09, 20:36
Hey Santa Claus~Kevin Bloody Wilson. :D

Phill
16-Dec-09, 20:41
a complete wreck of a man, but incredibly talented

And incredibly still alive despite all attempts not to be!!

Invisible
16-Dec-09, 20:43
Wizzard!!!!

kitty kat
16-Dec-09, 21:08
i have been singing fairytale in ny for 2 weeks now classic love it <3

white christmas to always makes me :)

Sandra_B
16-Dec-09, 21:10
Also, "I'll be home for Christmas". It's taken a few years, but this year I am.

Turquoise
17-Dec-09, 00:03

"Fairytale of New York" was written and sung by Shane MacGowan - lead singer with the Pogues ( a complete wreck of a man, but incredibly talented) and the late Kirsty Macoll - whose father is Ewan Macoll, the Folk singer.

Not your 'traditional' song, mind you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

Yes, it's a fantastic song and the one that really makes it feel like Christmas for me...a really Christmassey Chrimbo!!

Did you know Shane McGowan and Kirsty MacColl actually never sang the song together? Their parts of the track were recorded separately and then laid onto the song later!

Moira
17-Dec-09, 00:27
Mine is the classic.
http://www.worldofchristmas.net/christmas-carols/little-town-of-bethlehem.html

I also like Fairy Tale of New York. The mention of the Ass sums up a Christmas I survived a few years ago. Precious memories. :D

Kevin Milkins
17-Dec-09, 00:28

I think I agree with the popular choice, and I am also amazed that Shane McGowan is still alive.:eek:

Off subject a tad, but one of my favorites of Shane McGowan is the cover version of Waltzing Matilda he did, although a bit depressive it's a very interesting and moving story.
The pogues - The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lE-YjjZhwc)

Rictina
17-Dec-09, 00:38
Oh its got to be Silent night for me.

northener
17-Dec-09, 00:52
I think I agree with the popular choice, and I am also amazed that Shane McGowan is still alive.:eek:

Off subject a tad, but one of my favorites of Shane McGowan is the cover version of Waltzing Matilda he did, although a bit depressive it's a very interesting and moving story.
The pogues - The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lE-YjjZhwc)

I haven't clicked on the link, Kev. And I'm not going to.

It's an absolutley gripping song that cuts me to the bone and will leave me pissedoff for days. So I'll pass on that, friend.

Good call, mind.

Kevin Milkins
17-Dec-09, 01:01
I haven't clicked on the link, Kev. And I'm not going to.

It's an absolutley gripping song that cuts me to the bone and will leave me pissedoff for days. So I'll pass on that, friend.

Good call, mind.

Yer, I know what you mean on that one.

It was a song I liked and learned to sing in my rugby days and I could turn a bar full of jolly rugger chappies into a room full of manic depressives within ten minutes.:~(

I am not sure if it was my singing or the lyrics.:lol:

Aaldtimer
17-Dec-09, 04:01
Kevin, I'm a bit curious how you could ever link that song to Christmas!
Shane McGowan's/Pogues version is probably the worst I've ever heard!
Hear the author of the song sing it! Eric Bogle.:confused

Metalattakk
17-Dec-09, 05:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxm1FlLSfe4

Seriously great vocals, suitably religious lyrics, the best styled afro ever and a wonderfully evocative harmony humming solo (1m 50s).

What more could you want? [lol]

Kevin Milkins
17-Dec-09, 09:21

Seriously great vocals, suitably religious lyrics, the best styled afro ever and a wonderfully evocative harmony humming solo (1m 50s).

I'd forgot about that one, but agree, it is a perfect Christmas song.

A serious question..... was Jesus really born on Christmas day.:roll:

northener
17-Dec-09, 10:05

Nope, IIRC the celebration was shifted to coincide with Pagan midwinter festivals. I haven't looked it up, so the detail may be wrong, but thats the general gist of it.

Gist? Is that a word?:confused

(edit)

Lifted this off a Christian site, doesn't mention the Pogues or Kirsty Macoll...so the info may be dodgy :

Was Jesus born on December 25, or in December at all? Although it’s not impossible, it seems unlikely. The Bible does not specify a date or month. One problem with December is that it would be unusual for shepherds to be “abiding in the field” (http://forum.caithness.org/bible/luke2.html#8) at this cold time of year when fields were unproductive. The normal practice was to keep the flocks in the fields from Spring to Autumn. Also, winter would likely be an especially difficult time for pregnant Mary to travel the long distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem (70 miles).

“A more probable time would be late September, the time of the annual Feast of Tabernacles (http://forum.caithness.org/dictionary/tabernaclesfeastof.html), when such travel was commonly accepted. Thus, it is rather commonly believed (though not certain) that Jesus’ birth was around the last of September. The conception of Christ, however, may have taken place in late December of the previous year. Our Christmas celebration may well be recognized as an honored observation of the incarnation (http://forum.caithness.org/dictionary/incarnation.html) of ‘the Word made flesh’ (John 1:14 (http://forum.caithness.org/bible/john1.html#14)).”.........

......(The word “Christmas” means “Christ mass,” a special celebration of the Lord’s supper—called a mass in the Roman Catholic Church and a Communion supper in most Protestant churches.)

Why do many Christians celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December, if that is not when he was born?
The date was chosen by the Roman Catholic Church. Because Rome dominated most of the “Christian” world for centuries, the date became tradition throughout most of Christendom.
The original significance of December 25 is that it was a well-known festival day celebrating the annual return of the sun. December 21 is the winter solstice (shortest day of the year and thus a key date on the calendar), and December 25 is the first day that ancients could clearly note that the days were definitely getting longer and the sunlight was returning.
So, why was December 25 chosen to remember Jesus Christ’s birth with a mass (or Communion supper)? Since no one knows the day of his birth, the Roman Catholic Church felt free to chose this date. The Church wished to replace the pagan festival with a Christian holy day (holiday). The psychology was that is easier to take away an unholy (but traditional) festival from the population, when you can replace it with a good one. Otherwise, the Church would have left a void where there was a long-standing tradition, and risked producing a discontented population and a rapid return to the old ways.

katarina
17-Dec-09, 11:47

Love it! It's always been my favourite!

katarina
17-Dec-09, 11:50
Nope,......(The word “Christmas” means “Christ mass,” a special celebration of the Lord’s supper—called a mass in the Roman Catholic Church and a Communion supper in most Protestant churches.)

Why do many Christians celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December, if that is not when he was born?
The date was chosen by the Roman Catholic Church. Because Rome dominated most of the “Christian” world for centuries, the date became tradition throughout most of Christendom.
The original significance of December 25 is that it was a well-known festival day celebrating the annual return of the sun. December 21 is the winter solstice (shortest day of the year and thus a key date on the calendar), and December 25 is the first day that ancients could clearly note that the days were definitely getting longer and the sunlight was returning.
So, why was December 25 chosen to remember Jesus Christ’s birth with a mass (or Communion supper)? Since no one knows the day of his birth, the Roman Catholic Church felt free to chose this date. The Church wished to replace the pagan festival with a Christian holy day (holiday). The psychology was that is easier to take away an unholy (but traditional) festival from the population, when you can replace it with a good one. Otherwise, the Church would have left a void where there was a long-standing tradition, and risked producing a discontented population and a rapid return to the old ways.

Easter is the same. It was the origonal celebration of the pagan godess Easta - so I've been told.

northener
17-Dec-09, 19:00
Easter is the same. It was the origonal celebration of the pagan godess Easta - so I've been told.

Indeedy, Eostra was a Saxon Goddess who was the Goddess of Spring - IIRC. That's where the name comes from, anyway. i believe the Church tied in the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ to marry up with the Saxon Eostra festival - a festival of birth in the year.

futurelegends
17-Dec-09, 19:51
Greg Lake's 'I Believe in Father Christmas' tops the Future Legends personal chart.

An absolute classic.

(By the way Merry Christmas one and all).

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Dec-09, 20:33
Mine is 'Mistletoe and Wine' by Sir Cliff.Legend.Or Sydney Devines 'All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth'.Its funny cos Sydney sung this in the sixties and his fans loved it.Now in this day,the fans don't just want their two front teeth but the whole set.[lol][lol]

Fairytale in New York or Little Drummer Boy,either or,cannae choose which is ma favourite.

joxville
17-Dec-09, 20:55

http://144000.net/english/when_was_jesus_born.htm

suth13
17-Dec-09, 21:50

"Fairytale of New york" gets my vote.

Kevin Milkins
18-Dec-09, 00:29
Some very interesting facts emanate from the research by northener and Jox, but my question had a more simplistic meaning to it.

Metalattakk posted the Boney M song with the lyrics in the first verse that said "Marys boy child Jesus Christ was born on Christmas day"

What I meant by my question,....... was it called Christmas because Jesus was born on that day? A bit of a chicken and egg situation really.:confused

Whitewater
18-Dec-09, 00:53

Thanks for the link Metalattakk, it led me into an old video clip from a Johnny Cash Christmas show which I had watched many years ago, two great performances by him. Silent Night and Little Drummer Boy. (two of my favourite christmas songs)

What a singer he was, one of my all time favourites. Bonny M were great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2FYz_13JNM&feature=related

Rheghead
18-Dec-09, 01:25

Could Michael Jackson be providing the lead vocals in his Thriller makeup? [lol]

Twiggy
18-Dec-09, 08:10
Jingl:lol:e Bells

northener
18-Dec-09, 10:25
Some very interesting facts emanate from the research by northener and Jox, but my question had a more simplistic meaning to it.

Metalattakk posted the Boney M song with the lyrics in the first verse that said "Marys boy child Jesus Christ was born on Christmas day"

What I meant by my question,....... was it called Christmas because Jesus was born on that day? A bit of a chicken and egg situation really.:confused

'Christmas' is the celebration/marking (mass) of Christs' birth. The same as Martinmas (Nov 11th) is the celebration of St Martin. Both have Christian celebrations placed on top of Pagan celebration/events.

Christmas has already been covered. Martinmas places the celebration of St Martin squarely on top of the old agricultural start of Winter, that's the Church being canny and utilising pre-existing events again.

So the answer to the question is that Christmas doesn't mean the 25th of December in particular, it means the celebration of Christs' birth - which was officially placed on the 25th of Dec by the Church.

"Metalattakk posted the Boney M song with the lyrics in the first verse that said "Marys boy child Jesus Christ was born on Christmas day"

That's being somewhat anachronistic if you think about it. Of course Jesus Christ was born on his birthday...most people are. When else could he have been born?:Razz
It couldn't have been called Christmas until after his birth......

joxville
18-Dec-09, 10:36
Further to Kevin's question, where did the 'Christ' come in? It's been many a year since I've read the Bible, however I don't recall anyone in it having a 'surname'. Jesus' parents are only referred to as Joseph and Mary so who decided on the Christ part?

Kevin Milkins
18-Dec-09, 11:10
'Christmas'

"Metalattakk posted the Boney M song with the lyrics in the first verse that said "Marys boy child Jesus Christ was born on Christmas day"

That's being somewhat anachronistic if you think about it. Of course Jesus Christ was born on his birthday...most people are. When else could he have been born?:Razz
It couldn't have been called Christmas until after his birth......

Thank you northener, that's the answer I was looking for.:Razz

Further to Kevin's question, where did the 'Christ' come in? It's been many a year since I've read the Bible, however I don't recall anyone in it having a 'surname'. Jesus' parents are only referred to as Joseph and Mary so who decided on the Christ part?

Good question Jox, I hope I have not opened a can of worms in someone else's thread.:confused

northener
18-Dec-09, 11:24

I think it's Greek/Roman? in origin and means 'holy' or 'anointed' - summat like that. So it's a title as opposed to 'Mr and Mrs Christ'...which would be a really cool name, methinks.....

Phill
18-Dec-09, 11:40
What are you lot on about?

Since when was Christmas about Christ anyway!!!

Tabernacles indeed.

Maximo
18-Dec-09, 17:39
It'll be lonely this Christmas - love it!

Oh and Mariah Carey and Wizzard!

joxville
18-Dec-09, 18:13
My absolute favouritest Christmas song, always makes me feel good. Unfortunately I won't be driving to Scotland this year, (short of another miracle ;)).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czhZbqpyBm8

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Dec-09, 20:48
The best part I love about the org forum is sometimes ye can change yer mind.Ma favourite Christmas song now is 'Bohemian Rhapsody',by Queen and the Muppets.Youtube it honestly when Beaker says Gallileo,ye'll be in stitches[lol][lol]