PDA

View Full Version : Dog waste bins

Dog Warden
25-Apr-06, 13:37
Managed to get some additional dog bins for use in the Caithness area. Would really appreciate feedback from dog walkers and general public as to where would be best sites for these bins, bearing in mind that emptying is done by grounds maintenance staff and needs to be fairly accessible or in a grassy area, that they do maintain. Another reminder that there are free poop scoop bags in both wick and thurso service points and also rural post offices and shops. Please contact me if you have any doggy issues, or a dog fouling problem in your area i will be only to happy to help if i can.

Cheers

AR
25-Apr-06, 13:40
Good idea this.Would it be possible to police the dogs mess like the new no smoking rules with a warden to help see that the rules are adheared to?

codex
25-Apr-06, 13:52
The back of the police station in castletown. ive never seen so much dog waste its a disgrace.... also on the pavement that leads down to dunnet beach.

ice box
25-Apr-06, 14:00
What about were the old bmx track is there seem to be a lot of dog walker over there and there also a lot of dog mess not just that there is young kids on there quads and and there riding straight thought it flick doggy poo ever were yukk

kwbrown111
25-Apr-06, 15:19
it could do to have 1 or maybe 2 more at the west end(as you go towards the steps at the bottom of Victoria Walk) of the esplanade in Thurso as some people can only walk short distances and there is none down that end.

kas
25-Apr-06, 18:26
Achsvarasdale woodland, at the entrance if it would be possible.

I take the bag in the car to Sandside and dump it there but most leave their bags lying about waiting for others to pick them up.

The other place is at the Scrabster Coastguard station. The amount of dogs dirt here can be pretty bad.

LRM
25-Apr-06, 19:58
Willowbank in wick needs a bin, it is usually pretty bad for mess and a lot of kids walk along there to school. I went to help on a school trip the other day and one of the things the teacher told the class before leaving was to watch out for dog poo in willowbank!!! I can only think of one bin between scalesburn and broadhaven and that is above the north baths.

simpsoney
26-Apr-06, 10:01
I think one is needed on the road to Thurso East and at the end of Sir Archibald Road where you come of the grasssy bit at Thurso East. People used to let their dogs mess on the grass verge because they could get away with it. For some reason now they are picking up their dog mess in the free bags and then dumping the bags on the verge!!!

A lot of people walk their dogs along there so it might also be worth the warden going down there at some point . I am a dog owner myself and i think it is disgraceful when people are too lazy to pick it up. They would be the first ones to complain if they had stepped in dog mess!

willowbankbear
26-Apr-06, 10:09
Willowbank in wick needs a bin, it is usually pretty bad for mess and a lot of kids walk along there to school. I went to help on a school trip the other day and one of the things the teacher told the class before leaving was to watch out for dog poo in willowbank!!! I can only think of one bin between scalesburn and broadhaven and that is above the north baths.

Actually, its not quite as bad as usual in Willowbank today LRM , Im just back from a walk round proudfoot to show my boy the Ducks. Earlier we were at Somerfields & used different sides of the street to go there & back.
Another bad place is out the North head path and there is a bin there, just some irresponsible owners dont use it.

How many bins did you manage to get hold of?
How often do they get emptied as that 1 seems to be full a lot.

dragonfly
26-Apr-06, 11:01
I think one is needed about half way up the tree lined side of the river - hate my dog doing it at the beginning and then having to carry it all around to the other side before being able to dispose of it :grin:

krieve
26-Apr-06, 13:15
What about were the old bmx track is there seem to be a lot of dog walker over there and there also a lot of dog mess not just that there is young kids on there quads and and there riding straight thought it flick doggy poo ever were yukk
Out that way would be good its all over the place out there icebox.

Dog Warden
26-Apr-06, 18:57
Thanks for the feedback folks there are so many responsible dog owners out there it restores my faith a wee bit. Keep up the good work

cheers

ps for those who dont pick up big brothers watching you!!!

willowbankbear
26-Apr-06, 19:01
Or Big sister in this case lol:p

Dog Warden
26-Apr-06, 19:06
Well spotted stone roses

but my apprentice Harry doesn't miss much either sitting in the front of the van with his yellow vest on! takes his work very seriously:lol:

willowbankbear
26-Apr-06, 19:10
Is he yer dog? always cracks me up when I pass ye 2 in the yellow van, Harry with his fluorescent coat on[lol] Wish I had a pic, so Id stick it on here so every1 could see mr.cool. Is Harry a whippet or a sooner?

Dog Warden
26-Apr-06, 19:15
I'll whisper my reply cos Harry thinks he's a person (only joking) he is a rescue lurcher greyhoundX i think, only he doesn't think of himself as a mere dog when he is at his work. He is waiting to get into the van at 6:30am, had a day off on Monday and he sulked so much i let him sit in the van for a couple of hours.

connieb19
26-Apr-06, 19:22
Do you have a picture of Harry in his yellow coat?:o)

Dog Warden
26-Apr-06, 19:30
Yes sitting in the front of the van but i dont know how to get it onto here from the camera, can junior members post photos?

willowbankbear
26-Apr-06, 19:32
You mean He`s keen! what does he get payed in? If only all council workers were so keen:Razz Im joking, offended bus stay away from this thread please!

willowbankbear
26-Apr-06, 19:33
Yes sitting in the front of the van but i dont know how to get it onto here from the camera, can junior members post photos?
yes they can, get him on :p

Dog Warden
26-Apr-06, 19:35
He heard there was an employee of the year award prize being a voucher for Harrolds the butchers!! that might be something to do with it not sure:p

connieb19
26-Apr-06, 19:40
He heard there was an employee of the year award prize being a voucher for Harrolds the butchers!! that might be something to do with it not sure:pIt's a close competition between Harry and acameron..:Razz C'mon Harry, you can do it...lol

willowbankbear
26-Apr-06, 19:44
If Harry wins , does he get to eat ACamerons `pies`? not steak mind you dog warden, hope Harry likes a meat `pie`

Whitewater
27-Apr-06, 15:38
Could do with one out the Trinkie road.

evelyn
27-Apr-06, 16:22
How about where the road crosses the pathway on the March Road?
Theres no bin at all on that walk from the town out to the Castle of Old Wick.
Most dogs poop just as they are let off the lead at the South road end of the pathway and there is just nowhere to drop off the load!!
Pretty antisocial to walk with me on a hot day!
evelyn

labsrus
03-May-06, 01:10
might be a bit late here as just noticed this thread. Anywhere in Halkirk would be great as there is nothing between Camilla Street and the park, so means carrying it a long way.

Karen M26a
03-May-06, 12:50
Please can you put a doggy bin on the pathway between Burnside and West Gills housing estates. It seems to be a popular place for emptying dogs!

I see people walking past my window towards the path, and five minutes later they are coming away from the area, without a bag of poo in tow! I can only come to the conclusion they leave it on the pavement!

Also, a sign to put them off exercising their dogs in the playpark in West Gills would be most welcome. Lots of kids use the playpark a in the summer for football and I hate to think of them headering a ball which has landed in a previously used poo spot! YUK!

clash67
03-May-06, 13:06
I think one is needed on the road to Thurso East and at the end of Sir Archibald Road where you come of the grasssy bit at Thurso East. People used to let their dogs mess on the grass verge because they could get away with it. For some reason now they are picking up their dog mess in the free bags and then dumping the bags on the verge!!!

A lot of people walk their dogs along there so it might also be worth the warden going down there at some point . I am a dog owner myself and i think it is disgraceful when people are too lazy to pick it up. They would be the first ones to complain if they had stepped in dog mess!
Too right, I came cross numerous bags hanging from trees and gates that had dog poo in them, I for one would like to see the dog warden down Thurso East more often and perhaps some signs put up so people from Springpark stop using THURSO EAST AS A COMMON DUMP! Some one from Sprinpark just had a new kitchen fitted ,how do I know/ because they dumped their rubbish on the top road of Thurso East, something should be done.

Rheghead
03-May-06, 17:25
If I was going to put dogwaste bins in the west of the county then they would go

Achvarasdal wood entrance

Near Reay cemetery

Near Reay shop