PDA

View Full Version : going digital

katarina
16-Dec-09, 14:44
when we go digital, do we have to stump up for a new arial as well? I need an outside arial as reception is bad. I only get some programs just now with freeview but was under the impression that I would get them all after the change over, but some one told me no way.

EDDIE
16-Dec-09, 17:56
when we go digital, do we have to stump up for a new arial as well? I need an outside arial as reception is bad. I only get some programs just now with freeview but was under the impression that I would get them all after the change over, but some one told me no way.

we are digital now i had to put an outside ariel up to get reception

poppett
16-Dec-09, 18:00
We needed a new ariel to get our freeview digital tv to work. It cost £45 but has accessed all channels. Handy for when Sky chucks a mental and shows blue screens. Also considering doing away with Sky if we don`t get some new programmes soon. At least we know the freeview works now and costs nowt per month to run.

Kodiak
16-Dec-09, 18:07
I bought a New TV as I really wanted a LED one. It came with Freeview and I connected to the Ariel that I had installed back in 1991.

It worked perfectly and although I have SKY I also now have all the Freeview Channels in Digital as a Back-up and I did Not need to buy a new Ariel.

oldchemist
16-Dec-09, 18:07
We had to put in an upgraded loft aerial to get freeview but after the changeover I understand that the digital signal will be boosted so it may be best to wait until then.

Aaldtimer
16-Dec-09, 18:28
We're still operating on the old aerial we had before we got the new telly.
After the re-tuning recently we get most of the Freeview channels, but not some, such as Film4 and ITV4. Was told we would need to upgrade to a (IIRC) broadband aerial.
We've got SKY, so we get the missing channels on that.

bonami
16-Dec-09, 21:34
We bought new telly recently and was sure we would need a new aerial for digital. I as very surprised on tuning in we got all the freeview channels. This on a loft aerial that has been in the house since we moved in in 1985.

Tom Cornwall
16-Dec-09, 23:33
if the signal is strong enough you probably won't need a new aerial, but we've got some tvs on freeview and got a high gain aerial a nd that works ok...it depends where you're getting your tv signal from

purplelady
17-Dec-09, 00:16
I live in a flat and share mine what will i have to do to make sure am ok for digial x

Geo
17-Dec-09, 01:31

If you have Freeview you are already digital. All the switchover advertising is for people who don't have a set top Freeview box, a TV with it built in or satellite. If you are struggling with reception check to see if your outside aerial is a wideband type. If not you may need to change it.

trix
17-Dec-09, 02:15
i hev a manie that sent his telly off til get fixed, he got it back an wis telt their is nothin wrong wil 'e telly. then he says he hesna got an ariel :roll:
i da ken enough aboot'ed til advise him aboot 'iss change over but i do ken that he needs an ariel lek...

hev telt him til fone g.beggs an ask them til sort it oot. said it wid lekly cost him but, "choost piy'ed, it'l be worth'ed"

its a shyme aboot 'e auld fowlk that da ken aboot 'iss modern technology....an da even ken someone that kens aboot 'iss moderen technology.

i ken a manie that got "pre-view" an yet, he still only watches 'e 4 channels cos he disna hev an ariel...or somethin :confused

someone should be elected or sum'hen, til go roond an make sure everyone kens fits goin on wi all 'e changes an 'at.

or 'at least tell me.....so that i can tell people.

brandy
17-Dec-09, 02:21
hey i remember as a kid, we had a big antenna outside attached to the house via a long pole. we got channels 1-13 and i remeber when we changed the channel that one of the kids would be sent out toturnthe pole to catch the reception. my granny would be shouting out the window.. turn it a bit more.. holdit right there.. no you fool back the other way.. perfect.. right there.. dont let go.. hold it there!! perfect.. no its gone again..
those were the days.. ohhh an my fav. one.. hold it still until the news is over then you can come back in...

Moonboots
17-Dec-09, 19:22
The Digital Help Scheme is available for people listed below!!!

•are aged 75 or over; or
•get or could get Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance or mobility supplement; or
•have lived in a care home for six months or more; or
•are registered blind or partially sighted.

www.helpscheme.co.uk

But if your not eligible then im sorry but try the local installers who should be able to help with the setup.

trix
17-Dec-09, 20:59
thanks for 'at moonboots.....