PDA

View Full Version : Not my fault

Frith
16-Dec-09, 14:21
Just felt I had to post as I am still really angry and a bit unnerved by something that happened last night during my drive home from work.

I'm not sure if the person in question is on here. But if you must walk along the road in the pitch black..... PLEASE where something bright, preferably reflective. I did see you at the last minute, but only because you were holding a white bag or something. : S

BRIE
16-Dec-09, 15:10
gosh sounds like they were very lucky!
At this time of year its really dangerous for the high school kids too that are walking home, the uniform is completely black & the rector has made a point of banning coats with any colour on at all![evil]
We live out in the country & the kids get dropped off on the main road & for the last couple of weeks the driver has missed their drop off point & let them off quite a distance from where they should be, leaving them to walk back up the main road in the pitch black, dressed all in black. Frightens the living daylights out of me I have expressed my concerns to the school & stagecoach but its still happening! think it will take one of them being killed before anything is done:~(

changilass
16-Dec-09, 15:24
There is nothing stopping the kids from having hi viz vests to put on over the top of their black jackets/coats when they have left school in the same way dounreay workers do, then they would be seen easily.

Frith
16-Dec-09, 15:30
There is nothing stopping the kids from having hi viz vests to put on over the top of their black jackets/coats when they have left school in the same way dounreay workers do, then they would be seen easily.

You can even get those snap around reflectors, which will go around the arm, wrist etc.

joxville
16-Dec-09, 15:58
At this time of year its really dangerous for the high school kids too that are walking home, the uniform is completely black & the rector has made a point of banning coats with any colour on at all![evil]

Bloody disgusting, it would be a different policy if the rector's child had to walk home in simlar conditions. [disgust]

Maybe Highland Council should cut back on their junkets and inflated expenses and instead provide a Hi-Vis vest to every pupil. On the Arco website they cost only £3.61, but I'm sure with a large number being purchased then the council would get them a lot cheaper...my employer buys them at £1.57, and that's for adult size.

Maybe someone should petition the council to provide them.

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/18K0100/272059/Children's_Hi-Vis_Waistcoat_Orange

changilass
16-Dec-09, 16:05
Surely as a parent the cost wouldn't come into it and the parents could buy them, Local government don't have an unlimited buget.

If the council can get them in bulk and pass the savings on to the parents all the better.

Maybe the parent coucil could order some.

PantsMAN
16-Dec-09, 16:08
the rector has made a point of banning coats with any colour on at all! I think it was stated elsewhere that the School has not banned coloured/hi-viz, reflective jackets for wearing to school. The jackets have to be taken off IN school. Joxville, you need to calm down, and ascertain the facts before allowing your blood pressure to soar!

joxville
16-Dec-09, 16:54
Surely as a parent the cost wouldn't come into it and the parents could buy them, Local government don't have an unlimited buget.

If the council can get them in bulk and pass the savings on to the parents all the better.

Maybe the parent coucil could order some.

Aye, you're right, maybe the council could provide them to parents at a discount. More thought needed on my part. :roll:

I think it was stated elsewhere that the School has not banned coloured/hi-viz, reflective jackets for wearing to school. The jackets have to be taken off IN school. Joxville, you need to calm down, and ascertain the facts before allowing your blood pressure to soar!

I don't have blood, I have antifreeze. I'm as chilled as the Arctic. :cool:

trix
16-Dec-09, 17:01
mind when i wis little we got little dots fie 'e school til wear. hot spots or....dot spots or somethin, wis they called?? little reflector things.

Invisible
16-Dec-09, 17:02
Just felt I had to post as I am still really angry and a bit unnerved by something that happened last night during my drive home from work.

I'm not sure if the person in question is on here. But if you must walk along the road in the pitch black..... PLEASE where something bright preferably reflective. I did see you at the last minute, but only because you were holding a white bag or something. : S

Where about did this happen?
I was on the road last night wearing my High Vis waistcoat and went onto the verge each time a car came hence why my work trousers are filthy.

cuddlepop
16-Dec-09, 17:10
I think all our primarys 1 to 7 are issued with a high viz jacket every winter,these are returned in the spring and reissued the following winter.

maybe the schools could buy their own up their too.

I'm sure it would be supported as a worthwhile fundraiser for the safety of the pupils.:)

We've got the all black school uniform for high school pupils too but cant see them wanting to wear refective vests...just not cool :roll:

Frith
16-Dec-09, 17:30
Where about did this happen?
I was on the road last night wearing my High Vis waistcoat and went onto the verge each time a car came hence why my work trousers are filthy.

Just past Janetstown, heading out off Thurso. This guy was on the road, soon jumped out of the way when I nearly hit him mind. He had nothing reflective or bright on at all. I normally slow down if I see even the reflection from an animals eyes, I was on top of this guy before I saw him.

Frith
16-Dec-09, 17:32
We've got the all black school uniform for high school pupils too but cant see them wanting to wear refective vests...just not cool :roll:

My niece won't even wear a coat (it's gay) so I doubt she would wear a high vis jacket. If only they could accept that being dead is gay, for a very very very long time.

EDDIE
16-Dec-09, 17:52
Just past Janetstown, heading out off Thurso. This guy was on the road, soon jumped out of the way when I nearly hit him mind. He had nothing reflective or bright on at all. I normally slow down if I see even the reflection from an animals eyes, I was on top of this guy before I saw him.

Your comming across as if you are playing the blame game ok if you are out late at night it is a good idea to wear something reflective for safety reason but you as a driver should be driving according to the road condition and if you had been reading the road correctly there wouldnt have been a neer miss there is faults on both sides.
Its ok comming on here saying you should be wearing reflective clothing at night but lets face it how many adults do and do u wear reflective wear on u??

BRIE
16-Dec-09, 17:53

My daughter has reflective bits on her coat & the rector told her it wasnt suitable! you would think they would make exceptions when its for safety its not as if her coat is bright orange!
I think it would be a good idea for the school to supply high viz vests or even the bus company if their not going to drop them off in a safe place.

EDDIE
16-Dec-09, 17:57
My daughter has reflective bits on her coat & the rector told her it wasnt suitable! you would think they would make exceptions when its for safety its not as if her coat is bright orange!
I think it would be a good idea for the school to supply high viz vests or even the bus company if their not going to drop them off in a safe place.

You should have asked the rector to put it in writing and see what he says to that

Stavro
16-Dec-09, 18:05

BRIE, perhaps you could explain this slight discrepancy for me please. Just a day or so ago you wrote:

Yes i have other children as well you know but their not at school age yet, & we have an excellent primary school here that my children will be attending.

Thanks. :eek:

BRIE
16-Dec-09, 18:12
BRIE, perhaps you could explain this slight discrepancy for me please. Just a day or so ago you wrote:

Thanks. :eek:

why are you so interested about my children Stavro? :confused

Stavro
16-Dec-09, 18:14
why are you so interested about my children Stavro? :confused

I'm not interested in your children, BRIE, but your claims seem to change with the day of the week.

Are you going to explain the discrepancy?

cat
16-Dec-09, 18:19
have to disagree eddie. you surely dont expect people to drive along the main road at 10 miles an hour incase someone is walking on it?
im not usually on that road,but i was on monday,it was getting dark then too,and there was a guy running on the road towards thurso,the car coming towards him had to swerve and i had to brake,we werent going fast,bout 30,but he was very hard to see

PantsMAN
16-Dec-09, 18:22
It would appear that some folk can't miss an opportunity to attack your local High School. As has been asked many times before, on similar threads, "Have you consulted the school direct or are you just taking your child's word for everything?" I think STAVRO has an interesting line of questioning though ;-)

BRIE
16-Dec-09, 18:26
I'm not interested in your children, BRIE, but your claims seem to change with the day of the week.

Are you going to explain the discrepancy?

Nope! As it has absolutely no relevance to this thread.

Stavro
16-Dec-09, 18:31
Nope! As it has absolutely no relevance to this thread.

That does not surprise me.

Either you have children at the High School or you don't and your whole "point," if it can be called that, is another moan about something which you either know something about or you don't.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave." :)

BRIE
16-Dec-09, 18:39
Stavro do you really have nothing better to do than harass me on the org?
you know exactly how many children i have & what age they are so stop playing silly games!

Gronnuck
16-Dec-09, 18:40
Frith - thank goodness you and your car are all right.
It seems some people want everyone else to be responsible for their stupidity. Anyone wandering about in dark clothing on an unlit road with no pedestrian refuge just reinforces my belief in Darwinism - the sooner their gene pool is extinguished the better! [disgust]

Phill
16-Dec-09, 19:16
Darwinism - the sooner their gene pool is extinguished the better!

They have "rights" though, apparently.

Anyway.
Self preservation comes into this, for gawds sake be seen. Forget who's fault it may or may not be, if you would like to spend as long as possible in this world then get (and give your kids) something reflective, and as much as possible.

Coming back from Inverness I had a similar one, except this person was on the verge so no huge risk. However I do like to give space and / or alter speed as I know a quick stumble on the verge for them may mean I've got to get a new bumper and clean the blood off my car.

I've got a drawer full of hi vis vests, your welcome to 'em if you need 'em.

danc1ngwitch
16-Dec-09, 19:37
No harm done this time, to either party.
Aswell you were not in a hurry to get home, aswell he was glutching at that white bag, or whatever was white.

EDDIE
16-Dec-09, 19:40
have to disagree eddie. you surely dont expect people to drive along the main road at 10 miles an hour incase someone is walking on it?
im not usually on that road,but i was on monday,it was getting dark then too,and there was a guy running on the road towards thurso,the car coming towards him had to swerve and i had to brake,we werent going fast,bout 30,but he was very hard to see

The first rule of driving on roads that have no lighting is - never drive at a speed where you would be unable to stop within the distance your headlights show to be clear.?

Stavro
16-Dec-09, 19:45
you know exactly how many children i have & what age they are

That's not true, either. But let us concentrate on the topic now. Fortunately no accident occurred.

LMS
16-Dec-09, 20:02
Your comming across as if you are playing the blame game ok if you are out late at night it is a good idea to wear something reflective for safety reason but you as a driver should be driving according to the road condition and if you had been reading the road correctly there wouldnt have been a neer miss there is faults on both sides.
Its ok comming on here saying you should be wearing reflective clothing at night but lets face it how many adults do and do u wear reflective wear on u??

What a ridiculous comment. Even the most careful driver would struggle to 'read a road' when some idiot decides to go walking on the road dressed in dark clothes on a dark night. The better of these idiots have the common sense to go up on the verge when cars come but others just keep walking. If they don't have a sense of self-preservation, then the us drivers don't stand a cat in hell's chance with them.

I often come across people walking/cycling from Reiss to Wick and with reflective clothing, they can be seen from a good distance away, hence allowing drivers time to take evasive action. Plenty don't wear reflective gear and if they can't be bothered to take a minor step for their own safety, well I don't know what drivers are supposed to do. You wouldn't drive a car with no lights so why go out on the roads at night without reflective gear?

Gronnuck
16-Dec-09, 20:06
The first rule of driving on roads that have no lighting is - never drive at a speed where you would be unable to stop within the distance your headlights show to be clear.?

. . . and you've never been blinded, even momentarily, by oncoming traffic.
Most right thinking motorists do take care but there are some cyclists and pedestrians who have a penchant for remaining invisible believing that because they can see you you must be able to see them. They are being incredibly stupid.
All road users have a responsibility to see and be seen.

Ang
16-Dec-09, 21:33
I live up there and walk up there - always in hi vis, from dusky light onwards, always getting off the road - I cherish my life!
I suspect i know who we are referring to here and he has taken me by surprise numerous times and with very little regards for the drivers.
It's a shame that when he is the subject of an accident - it will be the driver to blame!

Frith
16-Dec-09, 22:49

I'm certainly not trying to play the blame game here, I only hope that if this person comes on here, that he takes what is the general advice on here and wear something reflective in the future.
Passing the blame or not makes no difference when an accident happens, I know of people who have taken a life through no fault of their own in car accidents, and can never live with what they have done. I don't want to be put in that position because someone doesn't take care on the road.

And yes both me and my dogs wear reflective clothing when out at night.

Kevin Milkins
16-Dec-09, 23:38
I was heading back from Groat to Wick a couple of weeks ago at about 5pm.
Coming out of Reiss towards Ackergill and their was some guy walking on the road with dark clothes on and he made no effort to get up onto the verge.:eek:
I only saw him at the last second as my headlights were dipped because of a car coming in the opposite direction and I just managed to swerve around him without going over onto the wrong side of the road.

Had I been doing 59 miles per hour as opposed to my customary 40 mph, I would have probably hit him before being able to take evasive action or I may have lost control and gone into the car traveling towards Reiss.:confused

I did consider turning around at Ackergill Tower entrance and going back to point out the error of his ways, but Mrs M persuaded me not to.

Blarney
17-Dec-09, 00:57
What a ridiculous comment. Even the most careful driver would struggle to 'read a road' when some idiot decides to go walking on the road dressed in dark clothes on a dark night. ...............You wouldn't drive a car with no lights so why go out on the roads at night without reflective gear?
Well said LMS! However, lots of drivers DO drive without lights in inclement conditions eg. mist, heavy rain, fog or generally overcast conditions. I think that they have this notion that they don't need lights to see so they must be visible to other road users!! I imagine that it's the same arrogant (or ignorant) philosophy that makes folk wander about in the dark on country roads without a thought for their own safety.

Turquoise
17-Dec-09, 01:07
I was heading back from Groat to Wick a couple of weeks ago at about 5pm.
Coming out of Reiss towards Ackergill and their was some guy walking on the road with dark clothes on and he made no effort to get up onto the verge.:eek:
I only saw him at the last second as my headlights were dipped because of a car coming in the opposite direction and I just managed to swerve around him without going over onto the wrong side of the road.

Had I been doing 59 miles per hour as opposed to my customary 40 mph, I would have probably hit him before being able to take evasive action or I may have lost control and gone into the car traveling towards Reiss.:confused

I did consider turning around at Ackergill Tower entrance and going back to point out the error of his ways, but Mrs M persuaded me not to.

I think I had a near miss with that same person! I have seen a few pedestrians, on the Reiss area of the Wick road, who need some sort of reflective clothing.

And Eddie, even if I was driving within a safe stopping distance, the pedestrian has a responsibility to make themselves seen, by wearing reflective clothing. The Highway Code doesn't just apply to drivers, it applies to pedestrians too. Too many people up here walk out in front of cars or walk in the middle of the road when it just isn't safe.

Turquoise
17-Dec-09, 01:36

Pavements (including any path along the side of a road) should be used if provided. Where possible, avoid being next to the kerb with your back to the traffic. If you have to step into the road, look both ways first. Always show due care and consideration for others.

If there is no pavement keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
keep close to the side of the road
It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

Help other road users to see you. Wear or carry something light-coloured, bright or fluorescent in poor daylight conditions. When it is dark, use reflective materials (e.g. armbands, sashes, waistcoats, jackets, footwear), which can be seen by drivers using headlights up to three times as far away as non-reflective materials.

Frith
17-Dec-09, 10:38
Exactly people think that the highway code only applies to people in cars, but applies to anyone on a public highway.

bekisman
17-Dec-09, 10:49
Anyone else on here remember the TV ad with the jingle: "Wear something white at night"?

Katy
17-Dec-09, 20:02

Was this just out past BT Frith? I luckily seen a guy last night on my way home about half 8 ish....don't know how he caught my eye dark clothes, hood up and walking on the road towards me.....got the fright of my life!!! xx

Vistravi
17-Dec-09, 21:30
My niece won't even wear a coat (it's gay) so I doubt she would wear a high vis jacket. If only they could accept that being dead is gay, for a very very very long time.

My brother is the same. He's 15 and wears silly jumper type things instead of a jacket and hence why when it rains he gets absoultly soaked. For his birthday i got him a waterproof celtic jacket. I wanted him to have a jacket that would keep him dry but was cool enough to wear. He now wears it almost everyday so my ploy worked like a charm ;) He hasn't clicked to why it was the waterproof one i got him as of yet :lol:

I don't understand the way a teenager thinks at all. I honestly feel like i went from 19 to 30, not 19 to 20.