PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses.

joxville
15-Dec-09, 23:06
I'm considering switching to contact lenses but have no experience of them. Ideally, I'd like to wear them at work with normal safety specs instead of the prescription safety specs I presently wear, (I look like a 1920's bi-plane pilot with them on), however the environment I work in is very dusty so not sure contacts would be suitable Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of them please, also, what sort of prices are they?

Vistravi
15-Dec-09, 23:44
Not sure on pros and cons as the thought of putting something in my eye makes me cringe but make sure you buy the correct cleaning fluid for them as i'm sure you've heard stories about what goes wrong when you be a cheapskate and use water....One woman almost lost her eye due to a parasite that tried to eat her eye. All because she wasn't cleaning them properly :eek:

I have a image of you now wearing your specs and the safety goggles.....[lol]

joxville
15-Dec-09, 23:52
Not sure on pros and cons as the thought of putting something in my eye makes me cringe but make sure you buy the correct cleaning fluid for them as i'm sure you've heard stories about what goes wrong when you be a cheapskate and use water....One woman almost lost her eye due to a parasite that tried to eat her eye. All because she wasn't cleaning them properly

I have a image of you now wearing your specs and the safety goggles.....[lol]

I wouldn't skimp on getting proper cleaning fluid, these are the only eyes I'll ever have, also, I too feel a bit woozy at the thought of putting in contacts.

I'll try get a pic of me wearing them then you'll understand why I'm considering contacts. Also, the style of the safety specs hamper my peripheral vision quite a lot.

These are the type I have:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2150/rxwrapsmall.jpg

shazzap
15-Dec-09, 23:54
I wear glasses just for driving but do not like wearing them ( vanity ).
My daughter had some disposables and said why don't you try them.

What a palaver, i nearly wet myself laughing trying to put them in.
Daughter tried to help but i couldn't keep my eyes open to get them in.
In the end we gave up, but had a good laugh trying. [lol]

ShelleyCowie
16-Dec-09, 00:00
I'll try get a pic of me wearing them then you'll understand why I'm considering contacts. Also, the style of the safety specs hamper my peripheral vision quite a lot.

I wud like to see that! gi us a laugh!

Vistravi
16-Dec-09, 00:03
I wouldn't skimp on getting proper cleaning fluid, these are the only eyes I'll ever have, also, I too feel a bit woozy at the thought of putting in contacts.

You can get eye transplants now ;)

They're not as bad as i thought they would be actually. Thought you'd have your specs and then safety goggles on top [lol]

Gosh yes your vision would be impaired with those on. When getting new glasses this year i tried on a pair that had weird bits at the side and it was hard to see out the sides of it. You'd defintly give me a laugh with a pic ;)

Dog-eared
16-Dec-09, 00:11
It takes a bit of practice to literally poke yourself in the eye with your finger but after a few goes you realise it doesnt hurt and the more relaxed you are the easier it is. Its the blink reflex that you need to get around.
No more scratched, steamed up or grubby specs and better peripheral vision.

Disposables are best. Try the net for a good deal for your prescription.
Postoptics do six months worth of 28 day disposables for £59.

Specsavers do a free test and trial pair of contacts.

bekisman
16-Dec-09, 00:17
Contact lenses, nah for vanity types (I thought!).. my wife has been wearing them for years, me? I had two pairs of glasses, one for reading and the other for driving/long distance.. Do a lot of travelling, but when wife was driving I would navigate. You know; map on the lap, looking down at the route, then looking up at the road signs.. bloody nuisance, trying to focus in and out.
Then I do a lot of DIY, having one set to get my gear together and another pair to see which way I was wrapping the PTFE tape around the plumbing fixture, and finding my arms weren't long enough to read..

Sod it I'll try Contact Lenses, so to the Specsavers and got an eye test for contacts.. Like my wife I wanted 'mono lenses'*; that's having like, my left eye with a 3.25 and my right eye with 1.75 - that way the brain works it so you can see both long-distance AND close up (I think 80% of folk can do this)..
So took a bit to get used to putting the lens (Daily Disposables) onto the eye, but after a few days it gets easier.. and wow! really nice to look down at my watch and see clearly the second hand moving around and then look up and clearly see the cairn on top of the hill far away.. to be able to look up into the sky when it's raining, go into a steam-filled room, pull my pull-over over my head (don't really know about dust). As 'Vistravi' says above there is an element of danger with non-disposable ones - I've been wearing contact lenses now for over three years, I'm 65 and wished I'd done it a whole lot sooner..

As to costs, I use these Daily Disposables below in the link (after all the bloke who runs it invented daily disposables, AND they are very reasonable!)
*One of the most effective and simple ways to provide distance and reading vision with Contacts is 'mono-vision'. This involves using one eye for distance and one for reading - unusual yes but millions around the World find it works a treat - and it saves fitting time and the cost of more complicated lenses.
*Monovision is an alternative to using varifocal contact lenses. With monovision you wear one contact lens in one eye to correct long vision and another contact lens in the other eye to correct short vision. The lens that corrects long vision tends to be worn in your dominant eye. Although this might sound odd, most people adapt quickly to monovision contact lenses. After a while they forget that each eye helps them see in a different way.
Hope this helps..

http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/GB/CountryHomepage.aspx?gclid=CP6d9bDC2Z4CFVtn4wodE17 srA

cazmanian_minx
16-Dec-09, 10:58
I have extended wear lenses, which are fantastic - you sleep in them and only have to change them over every 30 days, so if you're a bit squeamish about poking round in your eyes, they're perfect! As a first-time lens-wearer an optician would probably recommend you did a month of dailies to start with though, just to get your eyes used to them.

I go to Specsavers in Inverness for a sight test once every two years, they give me a prescription and I get my lenses from Vision Direct online. Works out at £79 for a year's worth.

twiglet
16-Dec-09, 12:09
Used to wear 'em but gave it up as a bad job. I don't make enough tears so after a few hours was always running to the loo to put eye drops in. After a 12 hour working day I was in agony! Also I had problems with the eye that I have a stigma in. A few times the contact slipped and went behind my eye. Managed to get it back to where it should be but scared the life outta me(knowing what they would have to do at the hospital if it got stuck!).

You have to be scrupulous with you hygene when putting them in and taking them out. Have seen some hideous eye infections in my previous job incarnation as a Dr's receptionist, one was particularly bad and all due to poor hygene when putting contacts in.

Any decent optician will not let you take your contacts until you can prove that you can put them in and take them out to their satisfaction.
You can at least give them a try, who knows they may be just the thing for you, o tarmac fairy. Watch out for the fairy dust though. he he.

Fluff
16-Dec-09, 12:36
Jox, as you work in a dusty environment you might find they dry out and get very uncomfy. It depends on the goggles you wear over the top, if they seal over your eye you wont have too much of a problem, you would have to use eyedrops.
A good thing about contacts is you have full peripheral vision. However a negative is if you need reading spex and go for monovision or multifocal contacts, one vision tends to be slightly impaired. Your vision with your glasses is always better, but sometimes by not much.

In terms of putting them in and out, removing an eyelash from your eye is worse! Once you get over the idea of something going into your eye (1st time in and out is the hardest) it is fine. It does take time and not everyone manages it in one session. Modern contacts are made mostly of water so they are very soft and comfy.
A daily lens is more convenient, as you bin it when removed, and also more hygienic. If you are going to be wearing them everyday, it would be more cost effective to go for a twice monthly or monthly lens.
Cost wise, (I can only quote boots prices, I do not know other opticians prices) for a decent monthly lens it starts about £20 per month, daily -I can't remember off the top of my head. The price often reflects the quality of the lens, the biggest reason for people stopping wearing contacts is comfort. For most people, there are better lenses out there!
Let me know if you want more info, but it is worth a go!

LRM
16-Dec-09, 13:04
I had the hard lenses years ago and remember getting them put in the first time. The guy put them in and told me to take a walk for a few minutes around the shopping centre (edinburgh) I could not see through the tears and spent my "few minutes" standing in a phone box with tears streaming down my face getting strange looks from passers by!! I persevered though and used them for years. I am not sure how you will manage in a dusty environment as I think your eyes will quickly become irritated.

trix
16-Dec-09, 13:43
hey joxy....i wear contacts an think they are fab. i widna be withoot them, tho i do love ma funky glesses too.

a wee bit o' practice is required when putin them in am oot, but when ye'v done it a couple o' times its no problem, ye could do it wi' yer eyes closed....eh....or maybe no :lol:

they're guid for us blin' wemin when wur putin on wur make-up....its a nitemare no bein able til see in 'e mirror. an lyin on 'e couch watchin telly, sometimes glesses can stop ye getin rite comfy, then ye wake up wi' reid marks on yer face where 'e glesses hes bin deegin in til ye.

i say, "go get them blin' boy" ;)

i pay aboot 30 kwid a month for dailys, which means ye thro them awie efter each use. i couldna be bothered (too drounk) til be cleanin them wi soloution everynite....it wid be a nitemare....!!

FutureMix
16-Dec-09, 14:19
I have worn contacts most of my adult life and they are great and would recommend them to anyone. However I also have to visit dusty enviroments from time to time in my work and this is wear contacts let you down. Even if you are wearing eye protection you will get small bits of dust etc in your eye and with contacts this can become very painfull and dangerous if you use machinery. With contacts the particles of dust dont have to be very big to be sore and to make your eyes water.

You will then have to wash out your eye in a clean area with clean hands etc. This also can be a problem if you work in a dusty enviroment.

cuddlepop
16-Dec-09, 17:14
I tried the gas permiable ones a good few years back now and eventually had to stop wearing them as I ended up with odema which was awfull.

Glasses are so restictive though and wish I could wear some sort of contact lense for sporting pursuits.

I think Jox you can try before you buy,worth a shoot methinks.:)

riggerboy
16-Dec-09, 17:48
I'm considering switching to contact lenses but have no experience of them. Ideally, I'd like to wear them at work with normal safety specs instead of the prescription safety specs I presently wear, (I look like a 1920's bi-plane pilot with them on), however the environment I work in is very dusty so not sure contacts would be suitable Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of them please, also, what sort of prices are they?

fit are ye up till jox, ye never come on here asking such personal things, make me worry that theres a very sarcastic comment coming at the end of this ????? mmmmmm

joxville
16-Dec-09, 17:51
fit are ye up till jox, ye never come on here asking such personal things, make me worry that theres a very sarcastic comment coming at the end of this ????? mmmmmm

Nah, not this time. My eyesight is getting worse, in fact, it's so bad my pc is hooked up to my 32" telly. I canna even read upper case without specs on. :eek:

buggyracer
16-Dec-09, 18:54
Just get an iphone, youll still be blin as a bat but at least you will look cool!!?? ;) :lol: ;)

joxville
16-Dec-09, 20:39
Just get an iphone, youll still be blin as a bat but at least you will look cool!!?? ;) :lol: ;)
I don't need an iPhone to look cool, I'm cooler than a polar bear sitting in a freezer in the Arctic.

ShelleyCowie
16-Dec-09, 21:36
I don't need an iPhone to look cool, I'm cooler than a polar bear sitting in a freezer in the Arctic.

Still waitin til see a photo o ya with yer safety goggles Joxy! [lol]

davem
16-Dec-09, 21:51
I use daily disposables and have used them while sanding drywall taping and survived. Had lots of grief with gas permeable and hard lenses but these have been great for years.
Wouldn't entertain laser surgery - too many scary stories and I've seen a film of it.

viking
16-Dec-09, 22:00
I've worn monthly lenses for 25 years and they are brilliant. The cost is £35 for 3 months (3 pairs) and you can now get solution in Tesco for £2. I've never had any problems with them and because they are attached and curved on the eyeball there is no distortion when you look to the side. I tried to drive with these chunky glasses and felt like a blinkered horse - had to take the glasses off to reverse the car as the sides were so thick!

Many suppliers offer free trial lenses so, financially you have nothing to lose by trying them.

As far as a dusty work environment goes, have you checked with the HSE what is safe for you to be asked to work in? You can wear safety goggles over lenses.

Hope this is helpful.

bekisman
16-Dec-09, 22:40
Viking: "had to take the glasses off to reverse the car" know exactly what you mean!, best thing ever, these contacts..

Moira
16-Dec-09, 22:51
Go for it Joxville. You'll never look back ( and if you do at least you won't have a dent in your nose because your spectacles have shifted with your sudden movement ;))

I'm with Boots Opticians Monthly Replacement Lenses Plan. It's about £15 a month by Direct Debit. I receive, by post, 3 sets of lenses per quarter year. I also attend a free check-up appointment for my contact lenses once a year and a free full eye-sight appointment for my spectacles prescription (including gluocoma test) once every two years. I use "Opti-Free" cleansing solution which, from memory, is about £4 from Boots/Tescos. This lasts for about a month.

The development of contact lenses has moved on immensely over the past few years. Despite your concerns about the dust you encounter in your working environment and a few reservations put forward by some posters on this thread, I am sure your optician will be able to recommend a "brand" which will suit you.

Good Luck.

joxville
16-Dec-09, 23:01
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice, I may now go ahead and try them. I was thinking of trying Boots or Specsavers so thanks for giving the costs Moira. I may still have to use my usual safety specs at work and use the contacts in my free time and I can see one advantage of using them is not having to take them out when kissing ladies. ;)

Moira
16-Dec-09, 23:16
I don't see why you couldn't wear contact lenses at work with the added protection of your safety glasses against the dust you encounter. The new contact lens generation is a revelation - honestly.

I'm still pondering the implications of your last personal dilemma :)

trix
17-Dec-09, 01:10
one advantage of using them is not having to take them out when kissing ladies. ;)

so ye can see exactly whats goin on ;)

northener
17-Dec-09, 01:21
..... I may still have to use my usual safety specs at work and use the contacts in my free time and I can see one advantage of using them is not having to take them out when kissing ladies. ;)

You will probably find the ladies will still remove their own sight-enhancing apparatus before kissing you, though.......

Moira
17-Dec-09, 01:30
You will probably find the ladies will still remove their own sight-enhancing apparatus before kissing you, though.......

They will? Methinks you are on a wind up Northener.

Can anyone recommend a good opticians, other than Boots......? ;)

Phill
17-Dec-09, 01:30
Bring on the beer goggles!!

joxville
17-Dec-09, 01:34

:eek:

I never thought of that. :(

Moira
17-Dec-09, 01:45
:eek:

I never thought of that. :(

If all else fails Joxville, you could try painting your sky with stars to light your way, Great choice of music btw. :)

Aaldtimer
17-Dec-09, 04:05
Oh Jox! Your street cred jist went oot the windae!
Enya..."elevator muzak"...michty me!:eek:

Mik.M.
17-Dec-09, 10:21
[quote= I can see one advantage of using them is not having to take them out when kissing ladies. ;)[/quote]
Unlike your teeth!!:lol:

joxville
17-Dec-09, 14:12
Oh Jox! Your street cred jist went oot the windae!
Enya..."elevator muzak"...michty me!:eek:

That's what makes me so cool, the fact I embrace many types of music. I'm a leader, not a follower. :D

Ricco
18-Dec-09, 17:18
Joxville,

I went back to contacts last year (wanted to be able to snorkel around the islands) and went for the Acuview dailies. Very good - easy to wear and very affective. Not too expensive, since you can buy as you need them and no washes/rinses needed.

joxville
05-Jan-10, 22:32

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2150/rxwrapsmall.jpg

I wud like to see that! gi us a laugh!

Okay, seeing as you asked, but be warned, it's very, very scary. :eek:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2494/1002455q.jpg

georgen
05-Jan-10, 22:53
Been wearing lenses now for 22 years ( nae the same pair !! ) with no problems. I use monthly disposables which quite often last a good bit longer than a month, sometimes less !! Glasses just do my head in hense the reason for sticking with the lenses..

The whole pokey eye thing is kinda routine for me now !!

XR2
06-Jan-10, 14:00
I have been wearing lenses for a few years now, miles better than glasses and great for working when you have to wear safety glasses etc.

I have monthly disposable lenses from Vision Express, always found them fine. The first time I got them they show you how to put the lenses in and out and get you to do it several times before the let you go. It looks and sounds worse than it is and you do soon get used to it.

Definitely worth ago!

The other alternative is laser eye treatment, I know a few folk that have had that done and they all recommend it.

Vistravi
06-Jan-10, 19:55
Okay, seeing as you asked, but be warned, it's very, very scary.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2494/1002455q.jpg

:eek: No wonder you want to change to contact lenses!

Nice brown eyes ;)

sweetpea
07-Jan-10, 01:11
[quote=joxville;633048]I'm considering switching to contact lenses but have no experience of them. Ideally, I'd like to wear them at work with normal safety specs instead of the prescription safety specs I presently wear, (I look like a 1920's bi-plane pilot with them on), however the environment I work in is very dusty so not sure contacts would be suitable Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of them please, also, what sort of prices are they?[/quot

They work out about £12 a month and thats wearing them at Dounreay over the barrier so I can't see why it would be any diff for you.

crayola
07-Jan-10, 01:36
They work out about £12 a month and thats wearing them at Dounreay over the barrier so I can't see why it would be any diff for you.
This is maybe where I show the Org that I'm really a dumb blonde but what does 'wearing them at Dounreay over the barrier' mean?

Lucy
07-Jan-10, 09:10
I wear prescription glasses but about a year ago i thought i would like to try contacts. i went to specksavers in Inverness. they gave me a full eye check, taught me how to put the contacts in and also gave me 5 days of contacts free of charge to try. it didn't work out for me, as i need varifocal glasses, but at least it cost nothing to try.