PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of PC files to laptop

Invisible
15-Dec-09, 21:34
I have both a PC and laptop, the later being the most effective. on the pc there are 4 usb's and only 1 will will recognise any device plugged into it. I am getting an external HD for xmas and was wondering if perhaps the usb doesn't recognise it, how can i then transfer files to the laptop.

Bobinovich
16-Dec-09, 00:01
Best option would be to remove the hard drive from the desktop and connect it to a SATA / IDE to USB adaptor (such as this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-to-SATA-IDE-power-adapter-cables-for-HDD_W0QQitemZ140366155947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Com puting_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item20ae7990ab) all-in-one available from Ebay) and then you can transfer your files.

Alternatively, as it's probably just a one-off, you could employ the services of someone with such a device to do the job for you ;)

However, just wait & see how you get on before worrying yourself about it!

dx100uk
16-Dec-09, 01:40
or use what is provided by MS:

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=yfp-t-702-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF8&rd=r1&p=windows%20file%20transfer%20wizard

dx

M R
16-Dec-09, 19:56
Not quite sure why the pc wouldn't recognise it.

Just hook it up to the pc, copy the files to the new external disk, then hook it upto the laptop and copy them across.

Seems the most straight forward to me.

Invisible
16-Dec-09, 20:45
Not quite sure why the pc wouldn't recognise it.

Just hook it up to the pc, copy the files to the new external disk, then hook it upto the laptop and copy them across.

Seems the most straight forward to me.

PC is nearly 10 year old, its getting on a bit. A few dunts, kicks, and system re-boot's have occurred over the years

Kevin Milkins
17-Dec-09, 00:08
PC is nearly 10 year old, its getting on a bit. A few dunts, kicks, and system re-boot's have occurred over the years

I have an old coal fired PC running windows 98 as well, and that would not run a pen either.:confused

I copied to disc and uploaded onto my laptop.

Invisible
17-Dec-09, 11:38
I have an old coal fired PC running windows 98 as well, and that would not run a pen either.:confused

I copied to disc and uploaded onto my laptop.

i'm afraid the CD writer on the pc is capoot too. Ill try creating a LAN with an ethernet to the hub and see

EDDIE
17-Dec-09, 19:09
If u get an external hardrive it should regonise the hardrive i think the only thing u have to watch for is the filesystem in the hardrive and whats on your pc and laptop eg is fat 32 or ntfs filesystem if ure pc is fat 32 and your harddrive ntfs it might not regnosise each other.
The reason im saying this is because my external hardrive is nfts filesystem i was trying to back up my playstation 3 on it before i put in a bigger hardrive and the playstation 3 hardrive is fat 32 and would not regonise my external hardive unless i formatted it to fat 32?