PDA

View Full Version : Dental Emergency - yea right

bekisman
15-Dec-09, 20:58
Dental Emergency

Being one of the hundreds who deserted Bridgend Dental (care?) Centre in Thurso after being ripped off to the tune of £351 a year, on their greedy 'Plan'. We contacted the NHS Dental Helpline to register and although their jingle: "Working with you to make Highland the healthy place to be" they have been unable to get us listed with an NHS dentist.

Yesterday evening my other half gave up with the paracetamol and clove oil on her tooth, and decided she'd have to go for emergency treatment. Tried the 08456 442271 number, BUT as after 4.30 pm was closed. This morning started to ring a short time before 8.45am - getting a message they were not open until 8.45am (eh?) At five minutes to nine, she eventually got through; "you are 7th in the queue" a few minutes "you are 6th in the queue", not sure how much an 0845 number is, but what the hell..
Eventually got through to a human who took her details i.e. we're 'out west' at Strathy etc, and she would ring through 'within the hour'. Sat around, phone rings an hour and quarter later.. "Sorry but can't get you into Loch Shell" - eh? and continues on to say that if any vacancies arise she will ring my wife back, and if no phone call she (wife) will have to ring again tomorrow.
So, tomorrow morning wife will be ringing again, and although she tried the day before if any initial sufferers get their phone call in first then she's back to the end of the queue..
Now I ask you what dumb idiot thought of this system? surely it's not beyond capability to have the enquiring names on a list so that if you don't get in one day, you'll eventually get in, instead of being knocked back each day.. ??

NHS Dental Service; hang your head in shame

ShelleyCowie
15-Dec-09, 22:17
Thats really quite bad! I was at loch shell today and it was so quiet there! I was the only patient in at the time. :confused the only reason i got an appointment was because i emailed the NHS.

Kevin Milkins
16-Dec-09, 00:16
It will probably be of little comfort to your wife if she has tooth ache, but Mrs M went through the same routine at the beginning of October when she broke one of her front teeth and it took a week before she could get an emergency appointment at Lochelle.:confused

We have been on the waiting list for over two years and we are 921 on the waiting list at Helmsdale, and 6669 on the waiting list at Lochelle.:eek:

bekisman
16-Dec-09, 00:19
Hi Kevin

Sounds bad - I'm keeping fingers crossed for her try again tomorrow...

ShelleyCowie
16-Dec-09, 00:50
It will probably be of little comfort to your wife if she has tooth ache, but Mrs M went through the same routine at the beginning of October when she broke one of her front teeth and it took a week before she could get an emergency appointment at Lochelle.:confused

We have been on the waiting list for over two years and we are 921 on the waiting list at Helmsdale, and 6669 on the waiting list at Lochelle.:eek:

Aw naw. That sounds awful! I dont understand how they can keep people waiting like that! I went today only waiting 3 weeks for an appointment (Not an emergency) and also have 2 appointments in january.

I think they shud have more appointments for emergencies!

butterfly
16-Dec-09, 01:01
A pal of mine has broken her wisdom teeth.She has phoned NHS24 everyday this week but they keep telling her everywhere is full up and to keep ringing NHS24 each morning to see if there is a placement for her but so far.......nowt.It's terrible that people are left in agony like this.[disgust]

kitty kat
16-Dec-09, 01:08
would the doctor not give her anything for the pain while she waits that is horride nowt worse that tooth ache i have had my wisdom teeth coming through and so i have been told by a dentist i have a small mouth :lol: so there is no where for them to go to. poor mrs get her to cry on the phone worth a try ;)

butterfly
16-Dec-09, 01:14
would the doctor not give her anything for the pain while she waits that is horride nowt worse that tooth ache i have had my wisdom teeth coming through and so i have been told by a dentist i have a small mouth :lol: so there is no where for them to go to. poor mrs get her to cry on the phone worth a try ;)

Doctor told her to take Nurofen and to just keep ringing NHS24:eek:

BRIE
16-Dec-09, 11:04
i know that another of the dentists there has just left so maybe thats why their so busy

bekisman
16-Dec-09, 11:08
Update Wednesday 16th:
Wife had to ring the number, took 28 attempts to get through. At 08.51 spoke and gave details. Person rang back at 09.58 and wife is now booked in for 12.00 midday today at Lochshell! quite pleased.. think it was possibly that she continuously rang and was 1st, whereas yesterday was further 'down the line'...

So 3-4 days of pain finally paid off.

Incidentally, the woman that my wife spoke to said they only check with Lochshell (is this the only NHS dentist in the Far North?)

changilass
16-Dec-09, 11:24
If you say you are willing to travel they will also send you down to Inverness.

tonkatojo
16-Dec-09, 12:17
This is a tough one that will not be righted until the system does away with private practice. In a society that is supposed to care, the present system of only the well off are cared for stinks and is totally wrong. Why is it some NHS dentists (the ones that are left) can make a decent living and are satisfied with their earnings, while others see the opportunity to screw the less well off at the lower end of the earnings scale, using pain as their lever to make you pay up.

Frith
16-Dec-09, 12:56
I to think it is appauling when we pay so much tax and NI that you can't get emergency dental treatment when you need it. I gave up last year and registered with a private clinic in Wick had treatment I needed doing etc. But when you get a letter every year asking you fro £20 just for the privalage of being reg'ed with them, I'm sorry but as a matter of principal I would rather remove my own teeth with an ice skate like Tom Hanks on Castaway than be ripped off by a money grabbing dentist taking advantage of people with no other choice.

I am a veterinary nurse by profession and the veterinary profession comes in for a bit of stick for being expensive and money grabbing, but our regulatory body would never sanction it's members charging an anual fee to register patients, and I'm quite sure the public wouldn't stand for it either.

Blast!
16-Dec-09, 13:13
I to think it is appauling when we pay so much tax and NI that you can't get emergency dental treatment when you need it. I gave up last year and registered with a private clinic in Wick had treatment I needed doing etc. But when you get a letter every year asking you fro £20 just for the privalage of being reg'ed with them, I'm sorry but as a matter of principal I would rather remove my own teeth with an ice skate like Tom Hanks on Castaway than be ripped off by a money grabbing dentist taking advantage of people with no other choice.

I am a veterinary nurse by profession and the veterinary profession comes in for a bit of stick for being expensive and money grabbing, but our regulatory body would never sanction it's members charging an anual fee to register patients, and I'm quite sure the public wouldn't stand for it either.

Well, why don't you pocket the 20 quid and do your own dentistry then? After all, it's a charge you decided to pay.

Frith
16-Dec-09, 14:16
Well, why don't you pocket the 20 quid and do your own dentistry then? After all, it's a charge you decided to pay.

I didn't pay it! but those with dental problems who like many have been waiting for an NHS registration for many years, have little choice but to pay these registration fees, and that's before you pay for yor consult and treatment.

Got a letter from NHS direct the other day, and thought yes finally getting an NHS place. No just wanted to check my details were the same. Errrrr I wouldn't get the letter if my address had changed!!!

mums angels
16-Dec-09, 14:23
After a similar problem with tooth ache and not having a dentist i decided to go to the Bridges in Wick rather than Bridgend in Thurso as they only charge £20 a year and the prices for treatment are very reasonable , i would rather pay and get good treatment than get an emergency appointment and deal with the mess that Bridgend left after treating me as an emergency case .. I hope they treat the paying patients better than they do the emergency ones .

flash
16-Dec-09, 14:27
We must have been lucky, my 11 year old broke a tooth last week, I phoned the NHS help line and got an appointment the same day at Loch Shell. The staff were fantastic. Well done to them.

Frith
16-Dec-09, 16:09
We must have been lucky, my 11 year old broke a tooth last week, I phoned the NHS help line and got an appointment the same day at Loch Shell. The staff were fantastic. Well done to them.

Yeah it seems to be a different system for kids. Me and my husband have been on the waiting list for about 2 years and still waiting. My Niece came to live with us last year, got registered within months and has had the 3 fillings that she needs???

loganbiffy
16-Dec-09, 18:16
Hmm, the NHS Dental system in Caithness it terrible.
I have been for emergency appointments 3 times at Lochshell, the time before last I went to get a tooth extracted and they tried to take the wrong one out!

I have been to Lochshell for dental treatment around 9 times in the past year and only ONE of the Dental Surgeons was actually caring and considerate.
I have now since registered with Back Bridge Street in Wick, yes it's more expensive but at least you get the correct care.

Anyone know the cost/deal with the Smile-Solutions at Bridgend now? Anybody know what like the prices for Dental Implants are?

Red
16-Dec-09, 19:15
I pay about £13 a month at Bridgend. Have had nothing but fantastic service from them.

I try not to think that I ought to get free stuff from the NHS because I pay my taxes, because that would just anger me. I see it as though it is another form of insurance. I pay my money and if I need treatment I'll get seen v quickly. Same as house insurance or car insurance - you don't expect to get burgled or crashed into but you are glad of the insurance when you do...

I needed emergency treatment when I was very heavily pregnant and they were so accommodating letting me get up when necessary etc. and fitting me in at such short notice knowing that I didn't want to take too many painkillers.

Dental implants are £2500 for an upper back tooth I know because I asked yesterday!!

LMS
16-Dec-09, 20:13

I left Bridgend in Thurso about 8 years ago. I had a cracking plan where I paid £10 and that included everything - crowns, fillings, scale & polishes, check-ups etc. It was really good and I didn't mind the money. It went up to £19-ish in one go mid-2001 and I thought that was too hefty a rise, so left. I think thereafter in Thurso they were fleecing people for over £15 a month (feel free to correct me on that one) and it covered the bare basics only, treatments had extra charges. Therefore, although the principal of the £20 is a moot point, it is a good bit cheaper than the Thurso rip-off. At least you have access to a dentist when you need it and are only paying-as-you-go thereafter.

I go to Back Bridge Street and they are brilliant. Not as cheap as NHS but a lot cheaper than most private dentists. You are seen more or less immediately in an emergency and in my opinion, well worth the £20 a year

NickInTheNorth
16-Dec-09, 20:24
Anyone wanting to register with an NHS dentist and prepared to travel to Inverness to be seen should try calling the NHS dental hell line and asking if they have any vacancies in Inverness.

I'm currently 6000 and something on the waiting list up here in Caithness but have just succesfully registered with what I am told is a new dental practise in Inverness. after 3 years without being registered with a dentist I can't wait for my first (of many) appointment in January.

bekisman
16-Dec-09, 20:43
Further Update Wednesday 16th

Initially had been told appointment at Lochshell at 12.00 midday. We always transfer our home phone to our mobile and just outside of Thurso had a call from NHS Helpline to say appointment now changed to two hours later for 2.15.. Ok fair enough, killed time in Wick before going to Lochshell, my wife saw the Receptionist and was told there was yet another change of appointment and to come back at quarter to three! Oh dear we thought hope this is not symptomatic of what's going to happen.

However at the appointed time wife goes from the waiting room to the Dentist herself and did not appear for 1 hour and 10 minutes!.. she has had a tooth removed, but they found (after an x-ray) that there was also an abscess, she also had a temporary filling and to come back in February to finalise treatment.. Wife is extremely pleased with the standard of care; she was seen by "a very nice Polish lady" and can't speak highly enough of her.
It was surprising to see a notice upon the wall there, that 60 patients had not turned up for their appointments in November alone!.. Also whilst I was waiting there I witnessed a woman come in with a terrified boy and asked for his appointment to be cancelled, so there are chances of getting in - if you ring early and continuously..

Hey Nickinthenorth, was that a slip; "NHS dental hell line" ? I hate 'em (Dentist that is)

Green_not_greed
16-Dec-09, 20:50
Try adding -ski to you last name and claim to be a Polish immigrant worker. Sure to get you closer to the top of the queue.

loganbiffy
16-Dec-09, 20:53
Dental implants are £2500 for an upper back tooth I know because I asked yesterday!!

This is why I will not be going here to get implants done.
It will cost me about £1800 for 5 implants in Krakow in Poland. It was on the BBC News about the scandolous price of Implants in the UK. Purely because the dentist's salaries in the UK are 3 times higher than that in Europe.

It also showed people who had implants done over in Poland and the majority of them said the work they had done there was better.

bekisman
16-Dec-09, 22:46
Loganbiffy you were asking about Smile-solutionsl?:

Sample Fees:

X ray (OPT)£40
examination, Scale and Polish £90
Tooth Coloured Fillings from £70
Root Canal Treatmentfrom £275
Ceramic Veneer from £600f
Full Dentures (Upper and Lower)from £1250

Scunner
17-Dec-09, 00:42
Originally Posted by Red http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=633364#post633364)
Dental implants are £2500 for an upper back tooth I know because I asked yesterday

Implants are very good, have had them for years. They are expensive but are well worth it. Planning 2 more in the new year, with dentist in Inverness.

loganbiffy
17-Dec-09, 08:59
Originally Posted by Red http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=633364#post633364)
Dental implants are £2500 for an upper back tooth I know because I asked yesterday

Implants are very good, have had them for years. They are expensive but are well worth it. Planning 2 more in the new year, with dentist in Inverness.

Hi Scunner, how much were your dental implants? Also how painful is it getting them done? Like the actual drilling into the bone?

Scunner
17-Dec-09, 10:55
Its almost 10 years since I had the lower ones done. About £4000 for the bottom jaw. I was sedated and slept for the first half hour then a bit dozy for the rest of the time. Cant say that I felt anything. Only problem was sitting with my mouth open for 2/3 hours, not unusual for me I know. I had quite a lot of bruising when I got two in the top. But cant say I had any pain.

loganbiffy
17-Dec-09, 13:25
Its almost 10 years since I had the lower ones done. About £4000 for the bottom jaw. I was sedated and slept for the first half hour then a bit dozy for the rest of the time. Cant say that I felt anything. Only problem was sitting with my mouth open for 2/3 hours, not unusual for me I know. I had quite a lot of bruising when I got two in the top. But cant say I had any pain.

I've asked a good few people now and they seem to say the don't feel any pain at all, which is good.

I'm going to be going to Krakow to get mine done next year as I simply cannot afford the prices in the UK (which are so high due to the dentist's salaries).

A lday appearedon the BBC News was quoted at £21000 for her whole mouth to be fitted with Implants, she then went to Krakow and had the exact same procedure done for under £6,000!

A lot of people also said the work is better and you are treated very well over there, just do a bit of research before you go.

I must ask as well Scunner, you say you have your bottom ones in for ten years, ever had any problems with them so far?
Thanks.

Scunner
17-Dec-09, 16:38
Never any problems, get them cleaned and polished once a year, £35 last time, due a clean in January

The macs
17-Dec-09, 19:30
We got in with Golspie NHS practice, and only waited about 6 weeks for our initial assessment appointment. They seem good:confused