PDA

View Full Version : Christmas countdown forecast

Tugmistress
15-Dec-09, 20:16
ok i know the question everyone asks this time of year is 'will it be a white christmas this year?'

but...........

it's too early for me to tell but i can tell you it will probably snow later this week!

certainly anything falling out of the sky from thursday through til monday is more than likely to be white not wet - and it's going to be 'jolly cold' so get yer woolie knickers oot! it may carry on longer but i ain't looking further than sunday morning at the moment.

the upper air temp starts getting cold enough for snow early hours thursday morning and hangs around getting colder friday evening through til saturday night/sunday morning.
i don't think we'll see any great dumpings of the white fluffy stuff though, it'll just be little flurries, but those travelling through the grampians and whatever the other range is south of inverness will see some pretty sights ;)
there wont be a lot of wind with it thankfully, what there is will start from the east on thursday and work back northwards during friday.

Drivers, watch out for freezing road conditions especially around dawn and dusk when the temperature tends to take a sudden dive, check your antifreeze and check your screen wash has enough blue stuff in it not to freeze in the pipes! make sure you are carrying a good stock of deicer later this week!

changilass
15-Dec-09, 20:29
Tuggs is this likely to be as far down as Perth as supposed to be going down on Saturday.

Any info would be great.

Please and thank you.

redeyedtreefrog
15-Dec-09, 20:43
Hope we'll get some in Wick. I'm excited now :D. It's so... Christmassy.

ShelleyCowie
15-Dec-09, 20:48

Northener is gonna shoot ya for that remember! lol

Thanks Tuggs! Look forward to a bit o snow! :D

Tugmistress
15-Dec-09, 20:55
Tuggs is this likely to be as far down as Perth as supposed to be going down on Saturday.

Any info would be great.

Please and thank you.

in a word yes changi, as i said i don't think it'll be massive dumpings of the stuff, just a few flurries so don't panic, just keep your eyes on the road and allow for freezing conditions.

Vistravi
15-Dec-09, 23:37
I can already see the car putting a fight up when the temp drops!

So don't want snow on christmas! Have to travel back and for on christmas eve and christmas day night! Don't fancy getting stuck!

cazmanian_minx
16-Dec-09, 11:00
I'm flying from Inverness on Friday - the thread about the 375mph winds nearly gave me a heart attack! A bit of snow never stopped a plane though. Thanks Tuggs :)

Sandra_B
16-Dec-09, 11:17
I hope there is snow, my youngest can't wait for a snowball fight. He is so excited he hasn't stopped talking about it, he is now banned from saying the word snow in case my head explodes!!

cazmanian_minx
17-Dec-09, 10:25
I just got hailed on walking the dogs - it's on its way.

seadog
17-Dec-09, 14:00
I don't know if you can guarantee a white Chistmas Tugs but I can guarantee that you will be 1 year older tomorrow so have a good day;)

redeyedtreefrog
17-Dec-09, 19:02
it snowed today! About half ten this morning, a little flurry! Progressed to hailstones later, but it was really pretty.

northener
17-Dec-09, 19:05

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, that's you on the list.

Dadie
18-Dec-09, 17:54
Tuggs
Im getting really worried about the snow!
Whats the situation going to be for the next few days with the white stuff falling and the roads to Inverness..... snow/ice/freezing fog etc....
Can you keep this thread updated please!

Boozeburglar
18-Dec-09, 18:08
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/thurso_forecast_weather.html

Just in case you are not around to answer before someone makes a journey. :)

Tugmistress
18-Dec-09, 18:12
Tuggs
Im getting really worried about the snow!
Whats the situation going to be for the next few days with the white stuff falling and the roads to Inverness..... snow/ice/freezing fog etc....
Can you keep this thread updated please!

sorry had a bad couple of days to think of forecasting :(

ok, the cold upper air temp stays over us certainly until tuesday at least so anything that falls is going to be white rather than wet, though if like today the dew point gets above 0c then it will be wet not white.
the coldest time and also the most liable time for some 'real snow' will be tomorrow afternoon.
if the skies are fairly clear overnight yes it will probably ice over.
temps i doubt will get higher than 4c much before xmas, high ground especially is going to freeze overnight.

don't worry about getting 'snowbound' i don't think we'll get a serious dumping, it's going to stay more showery than constant apart from maybe tomorrow afternoon/evening.

hope that helps you out dadie, again my apologies for not keeping up to date on this.