PDA

View Full Version : Please keep them safe

veekay
14-Dec-09, 20:43
I have just passed three children (primary school age) riding out on bicycles without a light between them. They had no helmets or hi-viz jackets and were just about invisible. What is wrong with parents who buy the bicycle and not the lights. IT GETS DARK EARLY and bicycles, roads and dark don't go together.
PLEASE get lights fitted before someone is killed

Gronnuck
15-Dec-09, 08:36
LBH this is an example of totally irresponsible parenting. How many parents know or care where their kids are during these darker evenings?
How many parents are going to buy their little darlings a bicycle for Christmas and not bother to buy a lighting set or a helmet to go with it?

Lavenderblue2
15-Dec-09, 08:54
A couple of weeks ago we were coming home from Wick at around 5pm-ish, when we saw a young person peddling like fury towards Wick on a pushbike without lights!! Not even with the benifit of light clothing, it was only when we caught he/she in our headlights that we noticed. I was in a panic but what could I do, I couldn't get the sight out of my mind for ages. Madness :eek:

BINBOB
15-Dec-09, 11:04
LBH this is an example of totally irresponsible parenting. How many parents know or care where their kids are during these darker evenings?
How many parents are going to buy their little darlings a bicycle for Christmas and not bother to buy a lighting set or a helmet to go with it?

I fear there will be many........as usual.As long as the big folk can get peace...the kids are out of the way.[disgust]

Scunner
15-Dec-09, 11:06
What a horrible assumption you make about parents. Were you the perfect child?

porshiepoo
15-Dec-09, 13:07

I think a child of Primary school age should be guided by their parents though, don't you?

There's no way anyone, young or old, should be out on the roads on a bike without some kind of HV vest and/or lights in the middle of winter.
A child will go out without a care in the world at that age, they don't see danger in anything.
I'm sure if the parents had sent these particular kids out with lights and helmets then they'd certainly wear them, It is up to parents to make sure their child is safe and adequately protected.

Many a time I've come across someone pedaling the A99 in the dark with nothing other than the pathetic little reflector you get on the back of the bike as standard. It's seriously dangerous and should be illegal. A car driver wouldn't get away with such ignorance and IMO neither should a cyclist.

sharona
15-Dec-09, 13:26
kids will be kids they always do wat they want

Fluff
15-Dec-09, 13:39
I do not think it is always irresponsible parenting. I remember when I was little kids I knew would go out without their parents permission, or when we were on our bikes the helmets etc did not always stay on.

I think personally there is almost an element of 'it'll never happen to me'.

badger
15-Dec-09, 13:59

Sorry but that's nonsense. There will always be the child who escapes its parent's notice in a supermarket but children can learn rules right from the start and safety rules are some of the most important. If a child is given a bike it's the responsibility of the parent to make sure they don't go out unaccompanied until they are old enough to be sensible and at all times they wear safety clothing and have lights which they know how to use. Hopefully when they're older they will remember this - but with older teens there's no knowing.

Kids will be kids but if they always do what they want there's something wrong with the parents.

catherine nicol
15-Dec-09, 14:28
Unfortunately, there is no one person responsible or to blame in these circumstances.

In the past we would have stopped and spoke to the children or grown ups concerned and suggested they get lights or hi-vis to make sure they are seen and avoid unnecessary accidents but now adays with society the way it is it is not deemed acceptable for a stranger to approach a child without coming under suspicion. And to approach an unknown adult unnverves me as I have been on the receiving end of some verbal abuse from boys in their late teens for being an 'interfering busy body' (well perhaps they didn't put it so politely but I know what they meant!).

I have to say, I too have seen children out in Thurso on early winter mornings delivering newspapers without hi-vis or lights on their bikes. On these mornings I have thought about whether there is any responsibility on the shop owners to play safe by checking whether the children they employ have the necessary lights etc so they are safe whilst out delivering on their behalf.

That said it isn't only children who go out without the necessary hi-vis or lights on their bikes. I nearly ran over the top of a man one day last week when I travelled to Wick from Thurso. He had no hi-vis or rear lights and was wearing dark clothing. There were cars coming in the opposite direction so the man in question was very very lucky not to have my tyre tread on the back of his jacket! Once I passed him I realised he had a light on the front of his bike but this didn't help me or others behind me see him whilst we approached from behind.

Can I please ask everyone who goes out in the dark to make themselves seen, whether cycling or walking or taking pets out for a stroll.

I would hate to read at anytime in the local paper of anyone being knocked down and seriously injured, and especially at this time of year.

Take care everyone because to someone you are a very special person and that person would like you to come home safe each and every night.

Merry Christmas all.

porshiepoo
15-Dec-09, 14:34

Wow! That's quite a statement there.
In my experience kids of a certain age will usually do what they're told. When they get to that gobby age then I've always found that if something is explained to them and they're not expected to just put up and shut up, then they'll pretty much listen, understand and do what's right.
I understand that hats may get tossed off by kids who feel it's not cool but I doubt very much that you'll see a kid on the side of the road removing all lighting from their bike before continuing their journey.

The problem is of course, a child remembering in the first place to turn lights on before coming home - I guess the ones that come on as you peddle would be the best option there.

I really don't understand any parent that is happy to let their child go out on a bike in winter without some kind of lights.
Children just assume that they're OK but they'll never learn if safety issues are not explained to them from a young age, especially if they're expected to get themselves to school on a bike.

bish667
15-Dec-09, 15:32
It's seriously dangerous and should be illegal.

It IS Illegal.

igglepiggle
15-Dec-09, 15:42
i agree with veekay and say that the parents should make sure the kids are fitted out for their bikes properly. Includes helmets, the amount off kids i see out on there bikes with no helmets is unreal. They should all have helmets on and definatly have lights on when it is dark.

jimbews
15-Dec-09, 16:39
The problem is of course, a child remembering in the first place to turn lights on before coming home - I guess the ones that come on as you peddle would be the best option there.

I'm not sure that dynamos are legal these days. It's one thing I couldn't find in the relevant section of the Highway Code:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837

but I was interested to note that they now say that flashing lights are allowed (which I think are MUCH more noticeable).

However, like mobile phone use in cars, nothing is likely to change unless the authorities take some action.
They could soon get the message across by standing at one of the main junctions even if just for an hour at a time.
Oops, sorry, that would mean getting out of their vehicles and doing a bit of paperwork!
Often meeting cyclists without lights on the wrong side of the road or coming along one-way streets is frightening, because we all know who would get the blame if there is an accident!

BINBOB
15-Dec-09, 16:58

Why ...of course I was!!!:lol:

footie chick
15-Dec-09, 17:03
[quote=jimbews;632842]

but I was interested to note that they now say that flashing lights are allowed (which I think are MUCH more noticeable).

quote]

We always have our lights flashing catches the eye more that a static light. If they won't wear their helmets then they walk no helmet no bike.

Tugmistress
15-Dec-09, 17:04

and very deceiving to judge their distance from you. personally those flashing lights that have a tint of blue in them are blooming dangerous in my opinion.
good example from experience, i was pulled up on the kerb dropping off the daughter, when ready to pull away looked in the wing mirror and rear view mirror and did a double take as there was this flashing light in the distance behind me, waited a few seconds while watching and it seemed to be stationary so i assumed it was police/ambulance whatever stationary a way up the road behind me just over the crest of the hill. checked wing mirror again and looked over shoulder, indicating at this time to pull out, and then as i pulled out saw the flashing light was infact a cyclist coming down the hill - very scary that i could have caused him/her injury and i am not a reckless driver.