PDA

View Full Version : storage heater problems

Tugmistress
14-Dec-09, 18:46
earlier this year i turned off one of the storage heaters in the living room as it was getting warmer, i turned it back on a few days ago but it is not working at all, whereas it was when i turned it off.
there are two 'plugs' for it, one gives it power for the convector heater boost, the other is the overnight power to warm up the bricks, it's the latter that isn't working.
i have swapped the fuses from the 'plugs' and the convector heater one still works while the brick one doesn't - anyone any ideas please?

Bobinovich
14-Dec-09, 18:53
Might be a bit obvious but check your fuse board/panel - just in case it's tripped a circuit (or part of). If it's something internal then i don't have a scoobie.

davie
14-Dec-09, 20:54
Madam,
I am surprised even, that you were not aware that there is a little thermal link (fuse) inside these storage heaters. They seem to pop for no apparent reason some times and I am 99.9% sure this will be the problem. If you get the cover off the heater you will see this fuse somewhere around the control panel bit (its usually a silver thingy about 3/4" long with a wire out of each end which are connected into the power circuit).
We can not have you getting cold so any more problems just ask. xx

Tugmistress
15-Dec-09, 10:49
Might be a bit obvious but check your fuse board/panel - just in case it's tripped a circuit (or part of). If it's something internal then i don't have a scoobie.

i would if i could but i can't reach let a lone see it, i need someone about 6ft tall at the top of the step ladder for that!
any volunteers?

Madam,
I am surprised even, that you were not aware that there is a little thermal link (fuse) inside these storage heaters. They seem to pop for no apparent reason some times and I am 99.9% sure this will be the problem. If you get the cover off the heater you will see this fuse somewhere around the control panel bit (its usually a silver thingy about 3/4" long with a wire out of each end which are connected into the power circuit).
We can not have you getting cold so any more problems just ask. xx

oooh scary! it's electrickery and i am genuinely a scaredy cat of it! nope never knew about that!
again any volunteers?

please?:roll:

Dog-eared
16-Dec-09, 00:38
The storage heater bit only connects to the electric at off peak times.

If you can see the wee switches in the fuse box, all of them should be pointing up. Any pointing down have tripped. I used to reset mine on my 8 feet up fusebox with a long stick.

Tugmistress
16-Dec-09, 10:12
all main fuses are ok, checked last night by better half as he was home a few hours.
i get the feeling its a case of new heaters required

davie
17-Dec-09, 22:38
The part you probably need costs about £10 (look on the www for storage heater thermal fuse). I am not in town much these days or I would get one & fit it for you but I am sure Alan Cameron at Alacam could do an even more professional job in less than 1/2 hour for just a few quids. Still a lot cheaper than a new heater

Tugmistress
17-Dec-09, 22:48
thanks davie, i'll pop in to alacam and see what this guy says :D