PDA

View Full Version : Door to Door Art Scam

Kevin Milkins
13-Dec-09, 16:35
They are at it again around Wick so beware of the door to door scammers purporting to be art students selling pencil drawing to support themselves through college.

I almost bought one myself five years ago when I lived in South Wales, but had no cash and needed to be off to work, so you can imagine my surprise when the same lad knocked my door in Wick with the same story.

The links below are just a couple of links that will give the unsuspecting an idea what it's all about and warn any elderly trusting relatives that they are in the area.

French artists selling door to door in Dublin - Askaboutmoney.com (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=13078)

Beware of “Israeli” door-to-door art scams! — Design Federation ... (http://www.designfederation.net/general/beware-of-door-to-door-art-scams/)

bettedaviseyes
13-Dec-09, 16:37
i have had a polish guy at my door with a script saying how he cant speak english bluh bluh bluh and could i buy one of his paintings i just shut the door on him.............[disgust]

evelyn
13-Dec-09, 16:40
That would be the guy who just walked into our house about an hour ago. He had a card with details handwritten on it. His name is Thomas according to the card. Did`nt read any more as I told him thanks but no thanks.
This was in the Cairndhuna Harrow Hill area.

bettedaviseyes
13-Dec-09, 16:48
That would be the guy who just walked into our house about an hour ago. He had a card with details handwritten on it. His name is Thomas according to the card. Did`nt read any more as I told him thanks but no thanks.
This was in the Cairndhuna Harrow Hill area.

my god this same scam must happen all over i live in fife

katarina
13-Dec-09, 17:07
I wish i could speak polish then i would ask him if he was so poor, why waste money travelling way up and paying for accomocation, and how come his drawings are the same as the guy'#s that came last year and the year before. All photo copies me thinks.

Kevin Milkins
13-Dec-09, 17:55
I wish i could speak polish then i would ask him if he was so poor, why waste money travelling way up and paying for accomocation, and how come his drawings are the same as the guy'#s that came last year and the year before. All photo copies me thinks.

When they came up here last year, I saw about eight of them get out of a mini bus near Henrietta chip shop all with folders under there arms.

I think it is an organised gang that blitz an area and then move on. Although most people are now aware of this scam, it's surprising how many innocent people are still taken in by it and it must be a good earner or they wouldn't do it.

I just think it's sad because there will be a lot of elderly folk that are still prepared to trust people that knock the door with a good story.

grumpy1
13-Dec-09, 18:58
had someone here this afternoon in thurso...cant stand door knockers..if they want cash that badly get a proper job the rest of us have to

alistair harper
13-Dec-09, 19:20
hi just had one in castletown

arat
13-Dec-09, 19:56
just had a polish bloke at the door selling art

Ricanna
13-Dec-09, 20:00
Is the art any good though!

Kevin Milkins
13-Dec-09, 20:36
Is the art any good though!

The art that I was showed when I lived in Wales looked fantastic. I asked the lad did he do them all himself and he told me that he did and it was to support himself while studying in the UK.

I had a look through his folder and they were all pencil drawings that looked very impressive and I was tempted to buy one as it seemed like a good investment for such a quality original. I did not have the money or time to do a deal and he left empty handed.

It was some time later that I heard this was a scam and they are photo copies of a very fine pencil drawing, if you were to produce a rubber (eraser) to test them, you would not see his arse for dust. :eek:

butterfly
13-Dec-09, 20:46
They were up here too.The card they show explains that they cant speak english but when a neighbour showed an interest in the sketches,she noticed he became fluent in english then.:eek:

Ricanna
13-Dec-09, 20:48
What money did they ask for the photocopies/

northener
14-Dec-09, 00:27
They've been here too.

Mind you, I got talking to the guy ( I speak a little Polish) as I was impressed with his paintings. His name is Jan Matejko and he paints in a classical style.

The one I bought for Ł30 is entitled 'Copernicus - Conversation With God' (if i heard him right).

I reckon it's a nice little investment.......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Jan_Matejko-Astronomer_Copernicus-Conversation_with_God.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Jan_Matejko-Astronomer_Copernicus-Conversation_with_God.jpg)

Boozeburglar
14-Dec-09, 00:55
Lol!

Next time they are passing I will aks them to sit down and sketch me..

crayola
14-Dec-09, 01:03
When it comes to famous Polish artists I prefer Karol Wojtyła who lived in an enormous building on Edmiston drive here in Glasgow. He was I believe home educated and painted with a broad brush.

Kodiak
14-Dec-09, 01:33
They've been here too.

Mind you, I got talking to the guy ( I speak a little Polish) as I was impressed with his paintings. His name is Jan Matejko and he paints in a classical style.

The one I bought for Ł30 is entitled 'Copernicus - Conversation With God' (if i heard him right).

I reckon it's a nice little investment.......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Jan_Matejko-Astronomer_Copernicus-Conversation_with_God.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Jan_Matejko-Astronomer_Copernicus-Conversation_with_God.jpg)

This is just a copy of the original called Astronomer Copernicus: Conversation with God" painted by Jan Matejko, Jan Matejko (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Matejko) (1838 - 1893)

So the guy who was around at you door was not Jan Matejko as he died in 1893. I think you will find that this is just a copy printed with an Inkjet printer. Here is another copy of the painting that I found on the internet and it only took me less than 1 minute to find. You will see it is exactly the same :-

http://i49.tinypic.com/mt1r1j.jpg

So unfortumately I do not think this picture will be an investment as I could run you off as many as you want up to A3 Size and all on canvas as well.

http://i48.tinypic.com/65zp08.jpg

So you see this Painting is a Oil on Canvas and is kept in Museum of the Jagiellonian University, Kraków who more than likely own the copyright.

Kevin Milkins
14-Dec-09, 01:39
The lying little sod, this is the one he sold me and he said it was one of a kind.;)

http://i49.tinypic.com/mt1r1j.jpg

crayola
14-Dec-09, 01:40
This is just a copy of the original called Astronomer Copernicus: Conversation with God" painted by Jan Matejko, Jan Matejko (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Matejko) (1838(1838)

So the guy who was around at you door was not Jan Matejko as he died in 1893. I think you will find that this is just a copy printed with an Inkjet printer. Here is another copy of the painting that I found on the internet and it only took me less than 1 minute to find. You will see it is exactly the same :-

(picture deleted)

So unfortumately I do not think this picture will be an investment as I could run you off as many as you want up to A3 Size and all on canvas as well.
Tonight on 'Missing the Point' I am going to be the artist Karol Wojtyła. :lol:

northener
14-Dec-09, 11:37
This is just a copy of the original called Astronomer Copernicus: Conversation with God" painted by Jan Matejko, Jan Matejko (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Matejko) (1838 - 1893)

So the guy who was around at you door was not Jan Matejko as he died in 1893........

:eek:WHAT?

Next you'll be telling the painting I bought off Dave Rembrant in the Sinclair Bay Hotel last week is dodgy too!

northener
14-Dec-09, 11:39
When it comes to famous Polish artists I prefer Karol Wojtyła who lived in an enormous building on Edmiston drive here in Glasgow. He was I believe home educated and painted with a broad brush.

I know him. You're right about his broad brush work, he did our fence last Summer. Bloody good job he did too.

ShelleyCowie
15-Dec-09, 18:56
I just had this folks at my door. He handed me a card and i read "Im a polish student..." and i handed it straight back and said "sorry i dont speak polish" lol.

He looked a bit confused but i just closed the door!

Scorpio12thNov
15-Dec-09, 19:08
I just had this folks at my door. He handed me a card and i read "Im a polish student..." and i handed it straight back and said "sorry i dont speak polish" lol.

He looked a bit confused but i just closed the door!

Did iss Polish cheil no understand yer broad Thursonian accent Shell? [lol]

ShelleyCowie
15-Dec-09, 19:11
Did iss Polish cheil no understand yer broad Thursonian accent Shell? [lol]

Broad...it aint that broad! :eek: lol. I didna even say hello til him...it just bugged me that i was gettin ma dinner! Nobody interupts shelley with food!!! [lol]

XxRUGBYMADxX
15-Dec-09, 20:21
got it today looked at the card hand it to the guy and shut the door in his face
I CANT STAND DOOR2DOOR SCAMS:mad::mad::mad:

Scorpio12thNov
15-Dec-09, 23:37
Broad...it aint that broad! :eek: lol. I didna even say hello til him...it just bugged me that i was gettin ma dinner! Nobody interupts shelley with food!!! [lol]

I'm proud o ye Shell...spoken lek a true Thursa lass...;)

purplelady
16-Dec-09, 00:17
Have heard from a few peeps they have tryed to con have not been to me but if they do will be told no thank you in no uncertain trems lol

StacNKel
16-Dec-09, 13:43
He was at my door and handed my 6 year old his wee card have to say my daughter was looking at him like he had 2 heads lol!! I just politely said no thank you and he was very polite back and went headed off to my next door neighbours... it is terrible if it is a scam. I really dislike it when you have folk coming to your door trying to sell you stuff :mad:

northener
16-Dec-09, 13:47
I think we need a bit of perspective here. It's just some door-to-door sellers using a questionable pitch to sell paintings. It's not as if they're trying to get you to sign up to some sort of financial agreement or flog you a nicked generator.

At the end of the day, if you like the art then buy it, if not, don't. The guys aren't exactly foot-in-the-door pushy con-men.

katarina
16-Dec-09, 14:51
He was at my door and handed my 6 year old his wee card have to say my daughter was looking at him like he had 2 heads lol!! I just politely said no thank you and he was very polite back and went headed off to my next door neighbours... it is terrible if it is a scam. I really dislike it when you have folk coming to your door trying to sell you stuff :mad:

Believe me, it is a scam. They do not do the drawings/paintings themselves. They are not origonals. they do not get to keep the money. Some fat cat hires them. However, if you really WANT another pnotocopied picture guess they are worth Ł10.

stromalassy
16-Dec-09, 20:34
i had one of these lads at my door yesterday, i was up stairs at the time, he was very impatient, knocking and knocking ,also peering through the glass in my door, he had a hoody on and looked quite intimidating, he handed me a card, told him i wasn't interested and closed the door. I thought i'd better warn my neighbour across the field who is an elderly lady living on her own so i phoned her and 5 mins later i could hear him banging on her door, she ignored him, he then had the cheek to start banging on her window, this went on for a good 5mins, he was knocking really hard, my neighbour ignored him and he eventually left, she felt really intimidated by him. This can be quite frightening, especially for elderly people living on there own out in the countryside or anywhere ese for that matter.

Boozeburglar
16-Dec-09, 23:26
How did they get out to Stroma???

What are you doing living there??? I thought it is unoccupied?

What is this old lady doing living in a field?

joxville
03-Jan-10, 05:41
How did they get out to Stroma???

What are you doing living there??? I thought it is unoccupied?

What is this old lady doing living in a field?
Strangely, it's a field with a door instead of a gate??? :eek: