PDA

View Full Version : Tesco- APPLICATION GRANTED

rfr10
24-Apr-06, 16:45
So is everyone happy now that Tesco got planning permission?

Chobbersjnr
24-Apr-06, 16:59
indeedy yes.

wonder if it'll be 24 hour at w/ends??

Mr P Cannop
24-Apr-06, 17:00
100% i support tescos

Venture
24-Apr-06, 17:51
Definitely Robin. More to the point, ARE YOU.

willowbankbear
24-Apr-06, 17:55
Aye, its just a pity it wasnt being built at Roxburgh road, spreading the supermarkets around the town

rfr10
24-Apr-06, 18:03
Definitely Robin. More to the point, ARE YOU.

Course I am :-) I support all developments in Wick.

Bingobabe
24-Apr-06, 18:13
Excellent cant wait:lol:

neepnipper
24-Apr-06, 18:22
Thank goodness for that, it's the end of "will they, won't they". I'll send off my application form for a job there now.

rfr10
24-Apr-06, 18:24
How old do you have to be to get a job at Tesco and where do you get application forms?

_Ju_
24-Apr-06, 18:30
I am happy Tesco is coming :) and will be estatic if ASDA comes too, otherwise like Inverness, this will become Tesco county:roll: .

dragonfly
24-Apr-06, 18:36
yipeeeeeeeeee!!!! :Razz :D

RandomHero
24-Apr-06, 18:49
no way. bad move. i'll wait for the complaints to pile up on here; 'they don't have this' or 'the staff didn't smile enough at me'. bla bla bla.
pointless

Raven
24-Apr-06, 18:53
Yep! Thats me happy too. Cant wait for ASDA to roll on too....

Billy Boy
24-Apr-06, 18:57
nice one. did they get full permission for the petrol pump's as well??

obiron
24-Apr-06, 19:06
Aye, its just a pity it wasnt being built at Roxburgh road, spreading the supermarkets around the town

cracking idea that one.
glad they got planning permission. cant wait.

Dali
24-Apr-06, 19:09
no way. bad move. i'll wait for the complaints to pile up on here; 'they don't have this' or 'the staff didn't smile enough at me'. bla bla bla.
pointless

Well you dont have to shop there if you are not happy . You can join the other 10 that did not want it.

Lavenderblue2
24-Apr-06, 19:19
I am delighted about Tesco getting planning consent. It’s definitely what this county needs along with all the other new shops. I don’t mind in the least having to travel through to Wick – Wick needed the boost, and I am very pleased for them.

LB :o)

Geo
24-Apr-06, 19:20
Is the planning permission for the site they originally wanted?

Lucy
24-Apr-06, 19:43
excellent news:lol:

scorrie
24-Apr-06, 20:58
Well you dont have to shop there if you are not happy . You can join the other 10 that did not want it.

Where do you shop when Tesco has closed the opposition down?

Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of how Tesco coming to Wick is going to benefit the town in the long term? Based on what happens elsewhere I would expect that we can pull down the signs that say Town Centre and replace them with ones that say Tesco 1/2 mile.

I have managed to live my life thus far without the need for a Tesco, yet it seems others are feverishly anticipatingTesco, like a junkie awaiting a fix, and expecting it to be a panacea for all the town's problems as well. Maybe I missed the Tesco delivery of blinkers and rose-tinted spectacles that did the rounds.

Tesco are coming here to wring every penny out of us and not to make the town a better place.

golach
24-Apr-06, 21:02
Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of how Tesco coming to Wick is going to benefit the town in the long term? Based on what happens elsewhere I would expect that we can pull down the signs that say Town Centre and replace them with ones that say Tesco 1/2 mile.
I have managed to live my life thus far without the need for a Tesco, yet it seems others are feverishly anticipatingTesco, like a junkie awaiting a fix, and expecting it to be a panacea for all the town's problems as well. Maybe I missed the Tesco delivery of blinkers and rose-tinted spectacles that did the rounds.
Tesco are coming here to wring every penny out of us and not to make the town a better place.
Scorrie Thank you thats what I have been saying all along, glad I am not the only one who can see this is the Tesco way of doing things

pultneytooner
24-Apr-06, 21:07

Don't all big supermarkets do that?
Somerfield may sell up or close but I guess you can blame tescos for that now.
What will they bring, how about 200 jobs for starters.

dozerboy
24-Apr-06, 21:16
I am very pleased they are coming, the main reason being that their prices are good. If you don't like them, shop elsewhere. It maybe won't be good for Wick shops, but hey what is so different about Wick? Tesco have stores nationwide and you don't hear of thousands of other shops shutting down. Perhaps make the local shops more competitive instead of all of us being basically a captive audience. They will provide a lot more jobs than Lidl, and give excellent customer service too. Bring it on!!

lasher
24-Apr-06, 21:16
indeedy yes.

wonder if it'll be 24 hour at w/ends??
I doupt if they will be open 24hrs any day won't be enough trade in caithness for that.

Alice in Blunderland
24-Apr-06, 21:20
I for one am another Tesco fan.The town centre in Wick has been on the decline for a few years now and Inverness is all too easy to access now whether Tesco comes to Wick or not.Its a case of the customer getting what they want.I often shop in the coop and have decided that the best day to shop is when the big bosses are up for inspection as the shelves are full and bread is plentifull if they can do it for the bosses they can do it for the customer......if Tesco deliver then people will shop there ,choice and value are high on most peoples lists.Other shops can compete with Tesco it does not have to be closures everywhere glass half full rather than half empty.There will be jobs for quite a few people and anything which brings employment and business into the area cannot be that bad.Yes Tesco will take our money but all businesses do that they are all out to make a pound.Healthy competition, its fair game there is nothing more frustrating than having to trudge around all three supermarkets in Wick dragging the kids with you just to get the basic ingredients for curry or any other recipe which on accasion I have had to do trivial you may think but if I can walk into one shop and get it all there then I know which one I will use again.Tesco are already receiving a lot of our money as research has shown them and we are travelling 100 miles or more for the privelidge of handing them our hard earned cash so it just goes to show there must be something lacking in the service we are receiving locally.

teuchter
24-Apr-06, 21:21
Scorrie Thank you thats what I have been saying all along, glad I am not the only one who can see this is the Tesco way of doing things

I thought you wanted an Asda for Thurso? Do you think there way will be any different?

connieb19
24-Apr-06, 21:24
Tesco are already receiving a lot of our money as research has shown them and we are travelling 100 miles or more for the privelidge of handing them our hard earned cash so it just goes to show there must be something lacking in the service we are receiving locally.Exactly.......Roll on Tesco:grin:

stekar
24-Apr-06, 21:37
Exactly.......Roll on Tesco:grin:

Here, here!

RandomHero
24-Apr-06, 21:45

I'll remember that when you start complaining about Tesco.

Foolishness.

We can't keep throwing money at problems in the hope they will go away. No loyalty these so-called 'customers' have.

2little2late
24-Apr-06, 21:47

Tesco.

Can all these people who are opposed to Tesco coming to Wick honestly say they will never be shopping in the store then? I am willing to bet my life that at some point they will shop in the store, even if it only to visit the store out of curiosity and ending up buying a newspaper.
Roll on Tesco.

peter macdonald
24-Apr-06, 22:15
I know we have been over this before but can someone name all these local shops Tesco will be the death of??? Butchers usually survive no problem as most folk still want local quality meat ...So who else?? I dont think the watchmakers and the fishing tackle shops will be worried will they ?? No I think Hugh Ross will be fine!! So chaps throw the names at me please
As for 2 of the objectors today well the Coop was one ,,so it was OK for them to monopolise the retail market in Wick when I was a kid ??? Off the top of my head they had 4 shops in pulteney alone And Somerfield well I wonder what they do for a living???? I was in Homebase at the weekend and saw so many people buying things that they normally had to go to Inverness for
Imagine that in Wick no less !! And the staff were locals as well..I think folks should realise that Wick has been on a downer for a long time and if Tesco were told to go away then it would send a very negative message to anyone else who wanted to move in The town cannot be left to die on its feet surely??
Yes i would love to go back to a Wick of cardosis ice cream ,of the mart in the town centre ,of 20 seinenet boats in the harbour .of Jessie clynes pies etc etc but its gone a very long time ago So lets move on and enjoy seeing the town busy again
PS Lidls was absolutly hooching as well on Saturday

golach
24-Apr-06, 22:54
I thought you wanted an Asda for Thurso? Do you think there way will be any different?
No Teuchter, they will not be different, if anything Wal-Mart Asda are worse that Tesco, just did not want Thursa till miss out on all the fun.

Venture
24-Apr-06, 22:57
Might not all be bad news for the little shops with big boys like Tesco and Asda moving in. In todays Daily Mail it states that Asda plans to give money of vouchers to those who use their local convenience store or some other small High Street retailer. The move is designed to boost Asda's community friendly image and deflect criticism that supermarket chains are killing off Scotlands independent retailers.

The scheme follows the principle of other loyalty cards where shoppers earn points as they spend in store. But Collect and Save as it is to be called will also offer rewards to people who do their shopping in selected independent stores in their local area who will display stickers in their windows showing they are part of the scheme.. When they have spent £25 in Asda and £25 in local stores customers can go to Asda and claim their reward. £5 of vouchers to spend in the supermarkets clothing department. The scheme is to be introduced in the new store opening in Huntly and if successful could be rolled out nationwide.

What do others think of this scheme.

Bingobabe
24-Apr-06, 23:06
I hear that one lady who works in whatsits is on the war path about tescos coming to wick "saying it will be the death of the local shops" But sorry to say this but im delighted that we are getting all these new shops. Im sick of paying over the odds for things i can get alot cheaper in inverness bring it on tescos.Also no disrespect intended but macallans prices are unbelivable i ended up going in there to buy something new for a nite out and ended up paying over £100 when if i went to newlook i would of got a whole outfit plus shoes for about £60.

krieve
24-Apr-06, 23:09
I hear that one lady who works in whatsits is on the war path about tescos coming to wick "saying it will be the death of the local shops" But sorry to say this but im delighted that we are getting all these new shops. Im sick of paying over the odds for things i can get alot cheaper in inverness bring it on tescos.Also no disrespect intended but macallans prices are unbelivable i ended up going in there to buy something new for a nite out and ended up paying over £100 when if i went to newlook i would of got a whole outfit plus shoes for about £60.
well said bingobabe

2little2late
24-Apr-06, 23:10

I wouldn't have bought it at all whether I needed it or not. It is sheer exploitation. Roll on New Look, Argos, Tesco and Asda. We have been ripped off for far too long.

golach
24-Apr-06, 23:12
What makes you think that Wick Tescos prices are going to be the same as Inverness, somebody will have to pay the cost of the fuel to ship it to Wick...you lot up there,

Bingobabe
24-Apr-06, 23:25
What makes you think that Wick Tescos prices are going to be the same as Inverness, somebody will have to pay the cost of the fuel to ship it to Wick...you lot up there,Well i hope it wont come to that but i cant see newlooks prices being that much diffrent as thats how they do so well. But i could be wrong hope not.

2little2late
24-Apr-06, 23:28
What makes you think that Wick Tescos prices are going to be the same as Inverness, somebody will have to pay the cost of the fuel to ship it to Wick...you lot up there,

Tesco prices are the same throughout the country. How can they advertise the price of stuff on T.V. and sell it at different prices at different stores. It is against the law to advertise one price and sell it for a higher price.

Fran
25-Apr-06, 00:30
I was delighted when i heard the good news at lunchtime. the report said the new Tesco will be the largest north of Inverness with over 500 parking spaces and 6 petrol pumps etc. It will be " three times the size of the 3 existing Wick supermarkets put together". It will need a day trip to get around the new store!!!! Looking foward to the new clothes shop opening on wednesday.....for men and women.....and large sizes too.

changilass
25-Apr-06, 00:43
Tesco prices are the same throughout the country. How can they advertise the price of stuff on T.V. and sell it at different prices at different stores. It is against the law to advertise one price and sell it for a higher price.

General prices are the same, but different areas have different specials

Kingetter
25-Apr-06, 01:55

Good point, and one more - will Tesco be spending what it makes in Wick, in Caithness or somewhere "south of the border"?

badger
25-Apr-06, 10:27
I'm delighted. This could transform Wick town centre if they take up the challenge and make the most of all the people who will be travelling between Tesco and the new retail park. Is there any chance the boarded up shops in Bridge Street can be smartened up until they are let? The Council must be making money out of all this - what would it cost to put up new hoardings and get local artists to paint some murals here?

Many years ago when I lived near Kew Gardens they decided the footbridge over the station needed brightening up - it was ugly and depressing to walk over. Someone organised the local school to paint it with different scenes and it was transformed.

The shops that are trading in Bridge Street could brighten themselves up a bit and modernise their window displays at very little cost. Maybe then people passing through would be tempted to stop and shop. Thurso has some beautiful window displays now so it can be done.

Dali
25-Apr-06, 10:45
I'll remember that when you start complaining about Tesco.

Foolishness.

We can't keep throwing money at problems in the hope they will go away. No loyalty these so-called 'customers' have.

No need to wait for complaints i shop in tesco now every 2 weeks down to inverness and i am always very happy.

The foolishness is yourself wanting to pay more for less you must have money to burn . I would be loyal if the local shops were loyal to me if they priced things fairly.
I am sure everyone will have plenty to complain about , o dear better prices ,oh no longer opening ours ,No it cant be a better range .

Dali
25-Apr-06, 10:54

Erm Tesco

We have managed to live without caithness glass no longer does it say welcome to caithness home of caithness glass the town did not fall appart .
If you do not want your other local shops to close then keep using them .
What closed down when somerfield came ?
How many people complaining here have shopped in Homebase or superdrug ?
Are you supporting your small local retailer shopping there ??

I cannot believe that any of the people who are moaning will not use Home base. I hope when they do they think back to this forum and think how much of a traitor they must look after moaning .

footie chick
25-Apr-06, 11:09
The scheme follows the principle of other loyalty cards where shoppers earn points as they spend in store. But Collect and Save as it is to be called will also offer rewards to people who do their shopping in selected independent stores in their local area who will display stickers in their windows showing they are part of the scheme.. When they have spent £25 in Asda and £25 in local stores customers can go to Asda and claim their reward. £5 of vouchers to spend in the supermarkets clothing department. The scheme is to be introduced in the new store opening in Huntly and if successful could be rolled out nationwide.

What do others think of this scheme.

This sounds good should keep the local shops happy as well. Bring it on:)

meandhim
25-Apr-06, 11:31
Well, thank goodness the waiting is over and Tescos are finally going to arrive!!

Have all the people who have sounded the death knells for all local retailers never shopped online? Catalogues perhaps?? Trips to Inverness (and even further afield) ?? Mmm, dont think there are many people up here that havent had to go south for something and have then gone on to do further shopping when there as a result...........??

Local shops have higher prices............. less choice................ Period. The days of the tight local community are gone. Was there all this bother when the wee shop at the top of Woolies lane closed (sorry, the name escapes me!), so obviously because of Prestos new store.... or Janets shop, or Gibby's..... all gone and all due to everyone walking past them to go to the supermarket down the road, and now people are complaining as it may affect businesses on the street........!! Beggars belief really!!

As a previous poster pointed out, its really up to the retailers to do something about it, no-one thought twice about going to Woolies to buy a CD because it was a pound cheaper than the Music Shop, and everyone now blames the internet and downloading (Yes, I know it was part of the problem!). George Mackays butchers has closed, long before Tescos and that was partly due to cheaper meat sold in the local supermarkets.... Did we all boycott them, no!!

I think the retailers are now running scared, but to be honest, lets think about what we have on the 'street' and see how Tescos should affect them....

From the top.....................!!

Sports Shop..............Cant see Tescos competing there........ they dont sell big sports names or specialise in Sports gear

Pamela's ..............Tescos dont do haircuts

Post Office...... Tesco wont have one..... so no competition there

Travel Agents...............Tescos dont do flights etc

Macallans............. maybe a problem, but lets be honest they have 'lines' which allows many people to purchase goods they wouldnt otherwise be able to afford. This will ensure they will always have a good customer base.

Music Shop...............closing (nothing to do with Tescos!)

Hugo Ross.............. Tesco dont do fishing tackle

Boots.............. mmm, one big company up against another, shame....!!

Scottish Hydro Electric...... maybe hit hard, but they are also a nationwide company and lets be honest they are a wee bit dear..........!!

Macallans again............ same resolve as before

Highland Hospice..........2nd hand shop (shows the state of the town really)

Ladbrokes........... Two bookies on the main street, everybody was delighted when they came, one less eyesore of an empty shop to look at, Tescos dont do bets

Lloyds TSB

Mackays......... Nationwide Company

Woolies........... competition between two big companies again......??

Whatsits...... mmm, competition for little things maybe, as prices in Tescos are extremely competitive considering the quality of their goods, but whos going to hack out to Tescos for one thing when it can be bought here??

Turners..... yep, granted maybe competition there, but they also have a loyal customer base and their staff are lovely

Wool Shop........... specialised shop, cant see Tescos impacting much there

Barbers............. again, no Tesco haircuts

Chemist....... already up against Boots, the supermarkets, other chemists........ and they are still here to tell the tale, and Tescos dont have a dispensary (I dont think!!)

Fairways... may be hit slightly but another shop which allows you to 'pay things up', and Ernies deals for the quality of his goods are second to none.

Picture this.... specialised framing shop.... already competition from the likes of local Photographers etc, cant see Tescos making much of an impact there....

I would go on............. but you kind of get the picture....!! Surely we must be glad of a new big opportunity for work and revenue in the town, or am I missing something here?? Maybe if the local council reduced the rates on High Street/Bridge Street that would encourage business to the centre of town (I worked for a company that pulled out of the town, the rates were over £1000 a week for the site).

I think there are bigger issues here, council mismanagement of the town and its money, and a general feeling of discontent. (Of course there are a few groups and individuals who work hard for this town, I'm not knocking them!).

Let the closed shop of Caithness be opened and all-comers are welcomed!!

footie chick
25-Apr-06, 11:50
Well said. Whats wrong with Caithness buzzing for a change!

ice box
25-Apr-06, 12:58
well said i couldn't agree more with you there it's time the shop in the town got a good wake up call and stop ripping us off . For the job front of things good thats over 200 jobs waiting there. I for one have just been paid off and there is no one job in this town that i have seen suitable for me so yes bring on tesco .

JAWS
25-Apr-06, 12:59
Good arguement, Golach. So why isn't my Calor Gas far more expensive than in Inverness?
I have watched carefully to see how it gets into my tank and I can confirm that it does arrive by a boring common or garden tanker. All rumours that that they got the crew of the Enterprise to beam it to me are a complete fallacy.

The cost of transport to Caithness is no justification for the prices charged in the area, it is nothing more than a convenient excuse to overcharge a captive audience.

Certain sections of Caithness are being dragged kicking and screaming into the nineteenth century.
If you listen very carefully you can still hear the very faint howls of anguish from the candle makers complaining that people would regret allowing that new fangled idea, electricity, into Caithness because they would miss the candlemakers when they had gone.

I remember the same harbingers of doom predicting that Wetherspoons would be the death of Wick as we know it.
I check every day and Wick is still there and so is Wetherspoons!

lasher
25-Apr-06, 13:08
well said i couldn't agree more with you there it's time the shop in the town got a good wake up call and stop ripping us off . For the job front of things good thats over 200 jobs waiting there. I for one have just been paid off and there is no one job in this town that i have seen suitable for me so yes bring on tesco .
What did you do icebox?

krieve
25-Apr-06, 13:10
I remember people complaining when lidl got their planning permission. So how many people that complained about lidl shop in it today ??? I regularly go down to tesco in inverness or dingwall yipee so roll on tesco in wick. I have been up and down to inverness several times this year already and half of the trips were just to go to tesco because i could'nt get what i needed in wick and new i would get it in tesco.

pultneytooner
25-Apr-06, 13:32
Good point, and one more - will Tesco be spending what it makes in Wick, in Caithness or somewhere "south of the border"?

Who cares where they spend their profits, they can spend it where they like it's their money.
More to the point is the 200 jobs they will provide which means money will be going into local workers pockets who will most likely spend some of it in wick which will help the local economy.

veritas
25-Apr-06, 13:44
As I said over a year ago one of the main reasons that Tesco and Homebase etc are coming to Wick is that it can tap into the Orkeney Market throught the much quicker Gills bay link. Having already heard a number of Orcadian accents in Homebase this has already started. at long last we have reversed the trend in shopping.

Think about it rationally if you are from Orkney. you come accross on the morning ferry and visit homebase and the rest at South Road. Then where for lunch probably down to Wetherspoons this drags you into the town centre and into the scope of the other shops. On your way home to catch the aafternoon or evening ferry you stop of at TESCOs to load up then home round trip in the car of 50 to 60 miles saves a fortune on fuel driving further south and no overnight stay required unless they reallly wanted to. I thinks this will be a real boost to bring new shoppers to the town and the town centre needs to be ready to cash in. Think positively

pultneytooner
25-Apr-06, 13:48
I thinks this will be a real boost to bring new shoppers to the town and the town centre needs to be ready to cash in. Think positively

Well said, these shops are either here or coming here so local shops need to take advantage of the extra influx of people into the town and if they can't do that then they only have themselves to blame.

Lucy
25-Apr-06, 18:39
The best thing about Tesco's coming to Wick is that it will give everyone a choice.

If you don't like it don't shop there. No-one is going to handcuff you and drag you in.

Tesco's will probably be extremely busy to start with and then we will probably get back to our old habits. Buy everything we need at the supermarket and still go down the town on a Saturday and spend money in the "Local Shops"

munchkin
25-Apr-06, 20:22
brill news :o) pity people cant see that i bet they will go and have a look when it is up and running though :confused

katarina
25-Apr-06, 20:32

Here we go again. Anyone else sick of hearing this song?

changilass
25-Apr-06, 20:36

Didn't like it the first time round, repeats don't improve it

scorrie
26-Apr-06, 10:59

Don't read it if you don't like it. Others have repeated their support for Tesco ad infinitum and without much real input on why it is a good thing. Maybe you would like board where 100% of people went Yahoo, hurrah for Tesco!!

For the record I don't see there being 200 jobs in Tesco, if Lidls can get by with half a dozen then either Tesco have the staff ratio wrong or it is the size of the superdome!! I am sure those figures include construction which may not benefit locals. I have heard reports it is the size of the other three together and then read here it is three times that again. Assuming that Tesco can close the other three down that still leaves a helluva size of store to fill with a relatively small catchment population to aim at.

Between Tesco and Argos it is going to be very hard for places like Graham Begg, The Hydro, Woolies, and Mackays will feel Tesco and New Look with perhaps Macallans. The Coop and Somerfield will be hit badly.

People have glibly mentioned that fishing tackle and travel are not going to be affected, well hooray for that, I wonder how many Tesco shoppers will have a fishing rod and a two week holiday in Greece on their liney?

Someone else mentioned tarting up vacant properties until they are let. Just who is going to set up shop in them? Get used to seeing more boards up. That is my opinion, sorry it is not one of those seeing Tesco riding over the Ord into Caithness like the seventh cavalry to save us all.

Please feel free to give me your reasoning on why Tesco is going to help Wick/Caithness.

fred
26-Apr-06, 12:34
People have glibly mentioned that fishing tackle and travel are not going to be affected, well hooray for that, I wonder how many Tesco shoppers will have a fishing rod and a two week holiday in Greece on their liney?

Actually Tescos are partners with a travel agents, they sell and promote their holidays and Tesco Insurance do the travel insurance.

If you can't afford a holiday Tesco will even lend you the money.

JAWS
26-Apr-06, 13:56
Can anybody tell me of any towns or cities which have disappeared because a Tesco opened?
I've heard the same weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth for fifty years and I'm still waiting for the first one.
I hardly think Wick will excel itself by becoming the first.

What would I do should that unlikely event occur? Carry on shopping on the internet as usual!

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Apr-06, 15:16

As said.

In short term? Fine. Long term? Nae, nae and thrice nae.

JAWS
27-Apr-06, 03:00
Please feel free to give me your reasoning on why Tesco is going to help Wick/Caithness.
Well. for a start, it might just shake a few businesses out of their lazy, self-satisfied mind-set.
It's time they were reminded that they are there to provide a service for the customers and not that the customers are there to keep them in the manner to which they think they ought to be entitled.

It might just put a stop to the "We'll get what you need when we can be bothered to get round to it and if you don't like it, then hard luck, there's nowhere else you can go!"
The businesses in any Town Centre do not have a God given right to exist. They are there for the benefit of the public and not, as seems to be believed by some, that the public is there for their benefit.

If they provide what the public requires and they have no need to worry. Loyalty has to be earned not demanded as a right.

scorrie
27-Apr-06, 15:45
Well. for a start, it might just shake a few businesses out of their lazy, self-satisfied mind-set.
I

If they provide what the public requires and they have no need to worry. Loyalty has to be earned not demanded as a right.

First part is very true, several local businesses are complacent and lazy. However, even with the best customer service and attention to business in place, they cannot hope to compete with giant firms on price and, for many, that seems to be the sole factor in deciding where to shop. Hype is another big weapon in the Tescolossi armouries. Tales are already doing the rounds of how phewmungous the new Tesco is going to be, QE2 said one, Ark Royal another and one feverish punter reported that the Dounreay dome is going to form the O of the Tesco logo at the entrance.

I think Homebase and New Look are good for providing more choice for the town but am not convinced that Argos and the all consuming vortex that is Tesco are going to be good for the town centre in the long term.

I cannot see that Tesco have to earn our loyalty or that local businesses have much chance of holding onto their customers through loyalty. I have not seen such blatant desperation for anything, the way I have seen the current desperation for Tescos, since I found teethmarks on a Lavvy door!!

fred
27-Apr-06, 18:17
Ark Royal another and one feverish punter reported that the Dounreay dome is going to form the O of the Tesco logo at the entrance.

Better make sure it don't leak or half of Wick will be dying of radiation poisoning.

Bad enough coming into this world because of a hole in a letter without going out the same way.

Marty McFly
27-Apr-06, 18:57
It's time they were reminded that they are there to provide a service for the customers and not that the customers are there to keep them in the manner to which they think they ought to be entitled.

It might just put a stop to the "We'll get what you need when we can be bothered to get round to it and if you don't like it, then hard luck, there's nowhere else you can go!"
The businesses in any Town Centre do not have a God given right to exist. They are there for the benefit of the public and not, as seems to be believed by some, that the public is there for their benefit.

...trying hard to agree with anything you've said, but finding it difficult. [disgust] It sound very like you have an axe to grind, or at the very least some bad experiences with certain shops in the town centre.

The truth is the local businesses are not there for the benefit of the public. They are exactly that, a "business"...there to make money. No other reason. If they do it badly (by offering poor service for example), then they will suffer. If they do it well, then they might continue to operate profitably.

willowbankbear
27-Apr-06, 19:27
Better make sure it don't leak or half of Wick will be dying of radiation poisoning.

Bad enough coming into this world because of a hole in a letter without going out the same way.

Absolutely Brilliant Fred, PMSL:p

laguna2
27-Apr-06, 20:23
... and according to reports this mornig Tesco are going to start selling houses!

meandhim
28-Apr-06, 11:19
Previous posters have suggested that Tescos will not spend their profits in Caithness.......... Do Woolworths?? Mackays?? Boots??

I think Tescos have shown enough commitment to the area by coming here in the first place, was it not one of the MD's of the company that personally overseen that this went through?? Is that not enough for some folks on this thread??

Am I the only person here who cant wait for them to come as I may actually have more money in my pocket at the end of the day.........?? (and maybe even a job out of it??!!)

The simple answer is - if you dont like/agree with Tescos and their ethics, dont shop there, at least they are giving us another choice.

Why no big kick up about Homebase and New Look etc, theyre all here to make money, they have already brought more business into the town, cant see why Tescos wont do the same...........

Tescos will employ people and pay them well, money which will be spent in the town, keeping other people in jobs, etc etc. If local businesses want to compete with that they have got 9 months in which to adapt to it, good business means judging your competition and fighting for your share, employing good staff and treating them well.

And another thing with local businesses......... (gripe, gripe!), STOP CLOSING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS!!!!!!! Talk about a ghost town on a Wednesday afternoon!! You could shout up Bridge Street and I'm sure it would echo - its that dead!! Also, local DIY places shutting at midday on a Saturday, when folkies are off the weekends and want to do a bit of DIY, come on, cant help businesses that wont help themselves I'm afraid!! Hairdressers closing on a Saturday,when thats the day most folks get off, the list goes on..........!!

JAWS
28-Apr-06, 11:35
Any additional choice is fine by me I don't care where it comes from.
As for axe to grind, well not really at least not with any particular business as with elsewhere, some are better than others, but that's natural.

The amount of choice is abysmal at times. And no, I don't expect the same choice as people get in a large city but when you get responses such as, "We don't stock them but we have the refills. I've had a few enquiries about them so perhaps I might try getting some in!"
Well what a revolutionary idea! And I'm not talking about something that costs the earth but something which retails for less than £15 so trying a couple on the shelf when people are asking about them is not going to panic the Bank Manager.

It seems to me that the problem lies not with whether I have an axe to grind, even if I had that would not make other people change their shopping habits. The problem seems to lay with those who are afraid of any change or competition, they seem to be the ones who are vocal in their opposition.

The more alternatives the better, those which provide what people want will succeed, those who don't will either change or go under. Shops are no different to anything else.

But that's Business.

fred
28-Apr-06, 12:58
The simple answer is - if you dont like/agree with Tescos and their ethics, dont shop there, at least they are giving us another choice.

Why no big kick up about Homebase and New Look etc, theyre all here to make money, they have already brought more business into the town, cant see why Tescos wont do the same...........

Because Tescos have crossed the line, they have become so big they have a virtual monopoly. They can control the council, the consumers, the suppliers, the government and the competition. They are predatory, they will deliberately put any competition out of business just to take their market share, they can afford to sell petrol at a loss for as long as they want to, they're making their money on other things, the local filling stations can't do that. They are the opposite of a free market and competition.

I've seen towns down south lose their souls, what were once communities with butchers, grocers, bakers and candlestick makers are now dormitories with pizza takeaways, indian takeaways, chinese takeaways and kentucky fried hamburgers from one end to the other. There is no individuality, every town looks the same, has the same charachter, people wear the same Tesco clothes and eat the same Tesco food from one end of Britain to the other.

Tesco and Asda are nothing new to me, I was in the first ever Asda supermarket within days of it opening, I thought it was wonderful, I was young then.

bigjjuk
28-Apr-06, 13:03
well im sure fred is more then willing to pay the extra to go to other shops, but the majority of people have low incomes and get there products where it is cheapest, its called survival, not help everyone else survive by paying more to keep the town alive

2little2late
28-Apr-06, 13:32
Previous posters have suggested that Tescos will not spend their profits in Caithness.......... Do Woolworths?? Mackays?? Boots??

I think Tescos have shown enough commitment to the area by coming here in the first place, was it not one of the MD's of the company that personally overseen that this went through?? Is that not enough for some folks on this thread??

Am I the only person here who cant wait for them to come as I may actually have more money in my pocket at the end of the day.........?? (and maybe even a job out of it??!!)

Tescos will employ people and pay them well, money which will be spent in the town, keeping other people in jobs, etc etc. If local businesses want to compete with that they have got 9 months in which to adapt to it, good business means judging your competition and fighting for your share, employing good staff and treating them well.

And another thing with local businesses......... (gripe, gripe!), STOP CLOSING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS!!!!!!! Talk about a ghost town on a Wednesday afternoon!! You could shout up Bridge Street and I'm sure it would echo - its that dead!! Also, local DIY places shutting at midday on a Saturday, when folkies are off the weekends and want to do a bit of DIY, come on, cant help businesses that wont help themselves I'm afraid!! Hairdressers closing on a Saturday,when thats the day most folks get off, the list goes on..........!!

I could not agree more.

fred
28-Apr-06, 13:56
well im sure fred is more then willing to pay the extra to go to other shops, but the majority of people have low incomes and get there products where it is cheapest, its called survival, not help everyone else survive by paying more to keep the town alive

Strange that, in the days before supermarkets most families just had the one wage earner, women tended to stay home and do the washing, have babies, that sort of thing but people could afford to shop at the local shops.

Now most families have at least two wage earners and they can't afford a tin of Lidls beans.

2little2late
28-Apr-06, 14:15
Strange that, in the days before supermarkets most families just had the one wage earner, women tended to stay home and do the washing, have babies, that sort of thing but people could afford to shop at the local shops.

Now most families have at least two wage earners and they can't afford a tin of Lidls beans.

Just because nowadays there are two wage earners does not mean they should be able to shop in expensive stores. The whole point of us people in Caithness wanting bigger, better new stores is beacuse for years we have been ripped off. Purely and simply because of the lack of competition, it's been a case of "We are the only store that sell what you need, you may buy it from us and we will charge extortionate prices and you will have to pay these prices because you cannot do any other".

I for one am delighted we have the choice of Homebase, Argos, New Look, Superdrug and soon Tesco. My family are on a low income and we have struggled to survive with the over the top prices in Wick.

There is nothing that these people who are against Tesco etc. can do now, planning has been approved, the majority of Caithness are over the moon at the arrival of Tesco.

Fred, can you categorically say that at any time at all, you will not be using Tesco, you will not go there for cheaper petrol (if you drive that is), buy a tin of beans (as Tesco's are cheaper than Lidl), curiosity will not get the better of you and you will not even visit the store, even for a nosey round?

scorrie
28-Apr-06, 16:20
the majority of people have low incomes

This would be the same people who all have top of the range mobile phones, cars, designer clothing and who can afford to eat in all the fast food outlets several times a week?

Wick already has a lower cost alternative. Lidls may not have the greatest range but, on like for like items, I rate Lidls higher in quality in most cases and they are 40% to 50% cheaper. Some people, however, will not shop in Lidls, seemingly because it has an image of being a poor person's store. It seems that Lidls have been a good bit busier these past couple of weeks, with people no doubt checking it out while parked near Homebase et al. Perhaps some more people will find out that the prices are lower because staff numbers and frills are kept to a minimum and not because they are selling garbage. I expect Tesco to hit the Coop and Somerfield much harder than they will Lidls.

pultneytooner
28-Apr-06, 16:51
Not strictly true, most small grocers ran a tick book so their customers could spread the cost. Where we live it is always hard to get good deals unless you are willing or able to go to inverness, local shops knew this and they took full advantage, now some of them are going to have to compete or close, that's a fact of business.

peter macdonald
28-Apr-06, 18:34
Fred I asked a local business man not too long ago where he got his electricy from and he replied with the name of an English company as he added it was a lot cheaper than Scottish and Southern Funny that Scottish and Southern have a lot of employees in Wick whilst the well known English company hasnt!
How many local businesses use BT for their phone systems??? A few perhaps despite BT is the only comms company that I know of who employ a sizable staff in Caithness This loyalty to local business is a two way thing and unfortunately for a long time one side misused it with certain businesses charging over the odds whenever they could It was funny in Wick as some businesses survived and prospered for years The reason was they kept their prices/overheads within reason and provided a very good service For this they kept a good name and hence a good customer base and then there were some others!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chillie
28-Apr-06, 18:41
Fred I asked a local business man not too long ago where he got his electricy from and he replied with the name of an English company as he added it was a lot cheaper than Scottish and Southern Funny that Scottish and Southern have a lot of employees in Wick whilst the well known English company hasnt!
How many local businesses use BT for their phone systems??? A few perhaps despite BT is the only comms company that I know of who employ a sizable staff in Caithness This loyalty to local business is a two way thing and unfortunately for a long time one side misused it with certain businesses charging over the odds whenever they could It was funny in Wick as some businesses survived and prospered for years The reason was they kept their prices/overheads within reason and provided a very good service For this they kept a good name and hence a good customer base and then there were some others!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long has BT and SSEB (formaly HEB) been ripping us of, now that they have competition they are never of the phone trying to get you back[mad]

footie chick
28-Apr-06, 18:45
Lidls may not have the greatest range but, on like for like items, I rate Lidls higher in quality in most cases and they are 40% to 50% cheaper. Some people, however, will not shop in Lidls, seemingly because it has an image of being a poor person's store. It seems that Lidls have been a good bit busier these past couple of weeks, with people no doubt checking it out while parked near Homebase et al. Perhaps some more people will find out that the prices are lower because staff numbers and frills are kept to a minimum and not because they are selling garbage. I expect Tesco to hit the Coop and Somerfield much harder than they will Lidls.

Well put. Lidls have some great food items at half the price of the others and their FRESH produce it just that {the tomatoes don't wear furry coats unlike others} :D

peter macdonald
28-Apr-06, 19:01
Chillie Totally agree with you ..

fred
28-Apr-06, 19:16
I for one am delighted we have the choice of Homebase, Argos, New Look, Superdrug and soon Tesco. My family are on a low income and we have struggled to survive with the over the top prices in Wick.

You seem to want everyone else to be delighted too.

fred
28-Apr-06, 19:18
Not strictly true, most small grocers ran a tick book so their customers could spread the cost. Where we live it is always hard to get good deals unless you are willing or able to go to inverness, local shops knew this and they took full advantage, now some of them are going to have to compete or close, that's a fact of business.

Grocers had a tick book, supermarkets have credit cards.

Chillie
28-Apr-06, 19:23

Yes we do ! What is your gripe?, have you been the one that has been ripping us off for years?. Scared of a little(sorry big) competion.[mad]

fred
28-Apr-06, 19:23
How long has BT and SSEB (formaly HEB) been ripping us of, now that they have competition they are never of the phone trying to get you back[mad]

So what you're saying is that it's better to have a lot of small phone and electricity companies in competition with each other than one big one which has put all the smaller ones out of business.

Hmmm.

Chillie
28-Apr-06, 19:29
So what you're saying is that it's better to have a lot of small phone and electricity companies in competition with each other than one big one which has put all the smaller ones out of business.

Hmmm.

What planet are you on?. It is called the open market, customer's choice:confused:

footie chick
28-Apr-06, 19:30
Grocers had a tick book, supermarkets have credit cards.

At least the grocers didnt inflate their interest:lol:

pultneytooner
28-Apr-06, 19:41

Hmmm. I don't think these are small phone and electrical companies that chillie is typing about, he/she obviously means businesses that can compete with each other.
Did we ever have much choice, price-wise, between small shops in wick anyways?

meandhim
28-Apr-06, 19:45
The simple fact of it all is that we live in consumer driven times with globalisation the norm. It is easy to look back and remember through rose tinted glasses the shops of old, but they are all disappearing, Tescos or not.

Whether we choose to buy into the Tescolisation of the country/county is a matter of personal choice, but be well aware there are folk in this town who really cannot afford to pick and choose where they shop, they simply have to choose basic foodstuffs to survive as to some this is the only way they can save money and make the best of what they have. To these folkies, where something came from and what its made of has no relevance, as long as it tastes good and fills a hole, the job is done!! Lets be honest, for most folks up here, we are hardly on great wages, compared to our Southern counterparts.

I, for one, found myself in a position not so long ago where I was surviving on £85 per week (I was working), for myself. Out of this I had to pay £35 rent (housing benefit was applied!), council tax, Gas and Electricity and food. You do the math, I lived on pasta and cheap tinned food, and would have been very glad to have had the choice of both Lidl and Tescos at the time. Be aware there are lots of people here who struggle to make ends meet, some unemployed and some working, and a days shopping in Inverness is just a pipe dream, so for them this will be a great boon.

pultneytooner
28-Apr-06, 19:51
The simple fact of it all is that we live in consumer driven times with globalisation the norm. It is easy to look back and remember through rose tinted glasses the shops of old, but they are all disappearing, Tescos or not.
Too true, meandhim, wick town centre was hardly a hive of activity before these shops planned to come here and nobody can now blame them for that sad state of affairs. Apparently the gossips are missing the old grocers shops where you could stand all morning and put the world to rights.;)

fred
28-Apr-06, 20:01

Yes we do ! What is your gripe?, have you been the one that has been ripping us off for years?. Scared of a little(sorry big) competion.[mad]

Why are you mad because everyone doesn't share your love of Tescos? What do you think gives you the right to tell me what I can like and dislike? Do you find it so hard to believe that someone could have an opinion different from yours that you have to invent ulterior motives?

Is this your idea of competition and free choice? Everyone must be assimilated
into your cheap and tacky world of the sheeple.

Resistance is futile resitance is futile resistance is futile resistance is futile

Highland Laddie
28-Apr-06, 22:49
Wow, pretty hot topic here, i think the best you can say is,
it's everyones personal choice.

We (the old ball and chain) and myself will certainly try Tesco, but will remain customers of the Black stairs fish shop and George Harper the Butcher, excellent quality every time.

Chillie
29-Apr-06, 04:32
Why are you mad because everyone doesn't share your love of Tescos? What do you think gives you the right to tell me what I can like and dislike? Do you find it so hard to believe that someone could have an opinion different from yours that you have to invent ulterior motives?

Is this your idea of competition and free choice? Everyone must be assimilated
into your cheap and tacky world of the sheeple.

Resistance is futile resitance is futile resistance is futile resistance is futile
You seem to be changing the goal post's to suit yourself! What do you want a big superdooper store or a small shop:confused:

fred
29-Apr-06, 10:37
You seem to be changing the goal post's to suit yourself! What do you want a big superdooper store or a small shop:confused:

I haven't changed any goal posts, it doesn't matter what I want the Tescos will be built anyway. I've nothing against supermarkets or big stores, I have something against Tescos because they are too big and because of how they got that way. I'm not fond of Asda either because of the company which owns them who are doing to the world what Tesco does to Britain. I'm not particlarly bothered about the new trading estate, haven't used it yet, I might if there's something they sell that I need but I won't be going looking for things to spend money on. Wish they could have put it somewhere out of sight, same with Tescos, I mean if you must have a wart you don't want it on your nose.

I have some more good news for you, this week the World Trade Organisation deemed Europe's ban on American beef and genetically modified crops illegal so it looks like we are going to have to import them. The only way European farmers will be able to compete is if they start stuffing their cattle full of antibiotics and growth hormones too. As for the genetically modified crops I don't know what effect that will have other than they will be cheaper for the producer strugling to keep a supermarket contract to use, nobody knows.

fred
29-Apr-06, 11:36
I, for one, found myself in a position not so long ago where I was surviving on £85 per week (I was working), for myself. Out of this I had to pay £35 rent (housing benefit was applied!), council tax, Gas and Electricity and food. You do the math, I lived on pasta and cheap tinned food, and would have been very glad to have had the choice of both Lidl and Tescos at the time. Be aware there are lots of people here who struggle to make ends meet, some unemployed and some working, and a days shopping in Inverness is just a pipe dream, so for them this will be a great boon.

I know what you mean, there just doesn't seem to be any cheap propper food any more. Was a time you could go along to the butchers and get some neck of lamb for a stew, bit of ox liver maybe, bit of muton but now it seems that all the cheap cuts have to go off and be processed into some sort of ready meal or something with a fancy name they can sell for more money. Seems to me that sausage cost the same as steak these days, it's one size fits all.

2little2late
29-Apr-06, 14:09
Wish they could have put it somewhere out of sight, same with Tescos, I mean if you must have a wart you don't want it on your nose.

Liven up Fred.It's not as if it is an eyesore is it? If the buildings were ugly to look at then fair comment.

O.K. the choice to shop at these stores is yours, but please don't knock us people who are glad of them. We have had it too hard for too long. It's called moving with the times. We cannot go on living in a county that does not offer much for the consumer. If we aren't happy with what's on offer then we are going to want better things. What's wrong with that? Why shouldn't we have a retail park? Why shouldn't we have a Tesco. All these arguments against Tesco etc. are not justified at all.

The majority of people in Wick are excited because we have these new stores. More to the point, we don't have to take money away from the community by travelling to Inverness to buy what we need.

It is only public pressure that has brought all the new businesses to Caithness.

fred
29-Apr-06, 19:47
O.K. the choice to shop at these stores is yours, but please don't knock us people who are glad of them. We have had it too hard for too long. It's called moving with the times. We cannot go on living in a county that does not offer much for the consumer. If we aren't happy with what's on offer then we are going to want better things. What's wrong with that? Why shouldn't we have a retail park? Why shouldn't we have a Tesco. All these arguments against Tesco etc. are not justified at all.

The majority of people in Wick are excited because we have these new stores. More to the point, we don't have to take money away from the community by travelling to Inverness to buy what we need.

You'll still go to Inverness, as how many shops Wick gets it will never have as many as Inverness and like you said you will always want better things, as what we get it will never be good enough. As how much a woman gets she's never satisfied, a man will always want his toy shops like PC World and Commet and the kids will still insist on a McDonalds. Give it a few months and the road to Inverness will be busy as it ever was.

Yes everyones exited, like a child at Christmas, the novelty will soon wear off.

JAWS
29-Apr-06, 23:46
The World's never been the same since they repealed the Corn Laws!

rfr10
30-Apr-06, 11:09
When I started this thread, I didn't think there would be this many posts in it

2little2late
30-Apr-06, 12:47
You'll still go to Inverness, as how many shops Wick gets it will never have as many as Inverness and like you said you will always want better things, as what we get it will never be good enough. As how much a woman gets she's never satisfied, a man will always want his toy shops like PC World and Commet and the kids will still insist on a McDonalds. Give it a few months and the road to Inverness will be busy as it ever was.

Yes everyones exited, like a child at Christmas, the novelty will soon wear off.

I'll never go to Inverness for my shopping. Everything I need is now here in Wick.

fred
30-Apr-06, 19:11
I'll never go to Inverness for my shopping. Everything I need is now here in Wick.

Yeh, I believe you.

scotsboy
30-Apr-06, 19:13
It does not happen often, but every now and again Fred and I are in total agreement.

obiron
30-Apr-06, 19:35

maybe for you but there is a lot of folk who go to inverness and further to get decent kids clothes. up here there is not a lot of choice for teenage boys.

willowbankbear
30-Apr-06, 19:38
Not much choice for us men either, I dont want woollen mill, I want Next:p

bagpuss
01-May-06, 01:14
At the risk of sounding a snob, has anyone noted the nature of most of the new shops? Apart from Homebase, the others are.... a tad proletarian. New Look and Argos, along with Matalan etc are not exactly aimed at the middle classes- perhaps this is why they were sited in Wick rather than Thurso.

Ironically Thurso gets the rather more down market Asda, while Wick gets Tesco. But no-one has confirmed if Next or any of the other more upmarket stores are coming yet.

In theory I support Tesco- and supermarkets are progress- and yes i'd like to be able to drop in at 4 am on Sunday morning to buy my dinner for the next day. And as for foodstuffs- apart from two butchers and two bakers, we are obliged to supermarkets for anything we eat. Tesco usually have a decent fish counter, and they do similar puddings to M&S.

And if Wick is grwoing as fast as the advent of supermaket giants suggest, how is this going to affect the local infrastructure? Any plans to build a thrid secondary school, or hire more teachers, doctors and nurses?

weezer 316
01-May-06, 17:07
What?? Middle class? Mate, incase you havent noticed, 90% of this county are working class and no amount of flash new stores and high speed internet connections are gonna change that. Who cares if it isnt aimed at the 'middle class', all i care about, and i assume a large proportion of the public do as well, is prices. Good stuff at cheap prices. They could see their stuff at that old herring place in wick and i would give a damn, as long as the prices were good.

And can i ask, how on earth is asda downmarket? You make it sound like some seedy shop just branching out of soho, aiming its guns at frustrated farmers who have been stuck lambing for the past month.

bagpuss
01-May-06, 23:09
Upmarket ,dear chap is Sainsbury or M&S. And speaking for the 10% of middle or upper middle class bods in the county, I'd prefer not to wear cheap tat or have to eat genetically modified rubbish sold by giant supermarkets. I'd also prefer to see the value of my property rise as well. But then, how bourgeois of me!

2little2late
01-May-06, 23:25
Yeh, I believe you.

But Fred, I really don't need to shop in Inverness anymore. Everything I need is here. I can't understand why you are so against all the redevelopment of Wick. Is it because you are one of the local retailers who has ripped us off for so long that you are now scared of the competition? :confused :confused

fred
01-May-06, 23:57
But Fred, I really don't need to shop in Inverness anymore. Everything I need is here. I can't understand why you are so against all the redevelopment of Wick. Is it because you are one of the local retailers who has ripped us off for so long that you are now scared of the competition? :confused :confused

Why keep accusing me of things? I don't accuse you of anything, I certainly don't accuse you of anything then lock the thread so you can't reply, that would be a dirty trick.

People like different things, I like Wick, you don't like Wick, what's hard to understand about that?

2little2late
02-May-06, 00:04
Why keep accusing me of things? I don't accuse you of anything, I certainly don't accuse you of anything then lock the thread so you can't reply, that would be a dirty trick.

People like different things, I like Wick, you don't like Wick, what's hard to understand about that?

I haven't accused you of anything. I merely asked you a question. O.K. so, you are very upset about the fact Wick is going to get better. I am so sorry if I don't agree with what you have to say. Where have I said I don't like Wick? I love Wick. I have lived in Wick for eight years and love every bit of it. I can see that you are after an arguement with me. Well, I aren't going to give you the pleasure as I will not post on this thread any more.
Bye for now.

fred
02-May-06, 10:07
I haven't accused you of anything. I merely asked you a question. O.K. so, you are very upset about the fact Wick is going to get better. I am so sorry if I don't agree with what you have to say. Where have I said I don't like Wick? I love Wick. I have lived in Wick for eight years and love every bit of it. I can see that you are after an arguement with me. Well, I aren't going to give you the pleasure as I will not post on this thread any more.
Bye for now.

If you were to look you would see that I've never said I was against development in Wick. I haven't started any threads opposing the developments in Wick, haven't been to any council meetings not written one letter or signed one petition against the developments in Wick I haven't even taken part in any of the stupid polls. You just assumed that because I don't share everyone elses stary eyed adoration of the new developments, because I pointed out the reality that no changes are all good for everyone and that every silver lining has a cloud I must be opposed to them.

badger
02-May-06, 10:22
Upmarket ,dear chap is Sainsbury or M&S. And speaking for the 10% of middle or upper middle class bods in the county, I'd prefer not to wear cheap tat or have to eat genetically modified rubbish sold by giant supermarkets. I'd also prefer to see the value of my property rise as well. But then, how bourgeois of me!
Must admit I miss Waitrose but don't suppose either they or M&S will come up here - who knows? It would be nice if the clothes shops bucked their ideas up a bit. The only place that sells anything which makes me really long to buy if I only I could afford it (which I can't :cry: ) is Aurora in Thurso, where the knitted items are to die for. That is also one of the few shops with a really attractive, modern window display - most of the clothes shops are dire.

However I suppose we have to start somewhere so - onwards and upwards.

saxovtr
02-May-06, 10:31
how can any1 complain about these shops coming u here?your getting more a variety of stuff to buy ad more than likely at cheaper prices

golach
02-May-06, 10:52
Must admit I miss Waitrose but don't suppose either they or M&S will come up here - who knows? It would be nice if the clothes shops bucked their ideas up a bit. The only place that sells anything which makes me really long to buy if I only I could afford it (which I can't :cry: ) is Aurora in Thurso, where the knitted items are to die for. That is also one of the few shops with a really attractive, modern window display - most of the clothes shops are dire.

However I suppose we have to start somewhere so - onwards and upwards.
Does this mean I am upper class because I use Jenners and Harvey Nicks? Two of the more discerning establishments in Edinburgh:lol:

badger
02-May-06, 11:00
Does this mean I am upper class because I use Jenners and Harvey Nicks? Two of the more discerning establishments in Edinburgh:lol:

Oh - definitely. Can you doubt it? Actually I speak in ignorance - Harvey Nicks I know but what is Jenners?

fred
02-May-06, 11:38
how can any1 complain about these shops coming u here?your getting more a variety of stuff to buy ad more than likely at cheaper prices

If the highlight of your life is buying things I don't suppose you would understand.

You keep them blinkers on, believing you're happy is every bit as good as the real thing. Strange how so many people on this forum spit venom about people who buy their happiness on a street corner but deny their own adictions.

Next man
02-May-06, 12:20
I can confirm that Next has no plans to open a store in Wick ot Thurso during the next 4 years, sorry

JAWS
02-May-06, 12:44
Upper Class Shops? Lower Class Shops? Middle Class Shops? My dear people, how tawdry.

I even get my tailor to call on me to fit the denims (calling Serge de Nimes trousers "jeans" is so disgustingly common). Doesn't everybody get their requirements flown in and delivered by hand?
By the sound of it, should any of you happen to call I would get my Butler to direct you to the Tradesman's Entrance at the rear where the Downstairs Maid would advise you to wipe your feet on entry.

Take a good look at what some of you have written. You sound like something from a cheap Victorian Novel.

Who cares what the label above the door says, if they sell things I require then I will shop there, if they don't then I take my money elsewhere.
All I ask for is that I am provided with some choice in the matter, and the more choice I get the more I like it.

badger
02-May-06, 13:10
Who cares what the label above the door says, if they sell things I require then I will shop there, if they don't then I take my money elsewhere.
All I ask for is that I am provided with some choice in the matter, and the more choice I get the more I like it.

Ah but that's just the point - Tesco does not sell the same food as M&S (or Harvey Nicks for that matter). The label above the door does give a clue to the contents. Choice is what we want but it's always going to be limited up here because there simply wouldn't be the demand, although I do think there's room for improvement with the clothes shops. Not much choice there unless, like me, you patronise the charity shops which are stocked with items from further south.

Looks as if Wick will win on points with the big stores but Thurso is way ahead with smaller shops apart from clothes which seem to be the same in both. Had I better add IMHO before I'm lynched? Don't want to start WW3.

rfr10
02-May-06, 18:41
I'm closing this thread now so if you want to make any more comments, go to the thread named "shops"