PDA

View Full Version : Aurora watch needs help

Tugmistress
24-Apr-06, 14:11
I received this email a few minutes ago as i am one of their subscribers, if you are intersted in this subject too, it may be worth a quick email to help :)
sorry if this breaks any board rules

Dear AuroraWatch subscribers

Recently, the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council (PPARC)
reviewed its policy in respect of UK solar-terrestrial physics
funding. PPARC has decided that it will "maintain a presence in
ground-based solar-terrestrial physics" but "withdraw earlier [than planned] from ... a number of solar-terrestrial physics facilities."

As a result, as of April 2007, the UK sub-auroral magnetometer network (SAMNET) will no longer be funded as a UK national facility. PPARC has suggested that the Lancaster University SAMNET team apply for alternative support, but future funding is by no means guaranteed.

Clearly, if SAMNET closes down the AuroraWatch service will cease to operate entirely. Over the next few weeks, the Lancaster team will be making the case to try and reverse PPARC's decision to stop funding SAMNET as a UK national facility. In this crucial period, messages of support from AuroraWatch subscribers could make a very real difference
to our case!

If you would like to show your support for the AuroraWatch service, please send an email to me (j.wild@lancaster.ac.uk) indicating why you do not wish the SAMNET and AuroraWatch service to be discontinued. I will then collate the responses and forward them to PPARC. It does not need to be a lengthy email - a short message will make more impact than no message at all! However, when composing your message you might consider mentioning some/all of the following points:

- how long you have been an AuroraWatch subscriber

- the basis of your interest in the aurora (e.g. school pupil/student, teacher, amateur astronomer, radio amateur, interested member of the public)

- whether you have ever seen the Aurora as a result of an AuroraWatch alert

It is also vitally important to give your name and geographic location (i.e. county)

Please contact me if you have any questions or require further
guidance - every message counts!

Finally, it has probably been some time since you last received an AuroraWatch alert, but this doesn't mean that the AuroraWatch service is not working! SAMNET is automatically searching for auroral activity over the UK 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, the Sun is currently approaching the quietest part of its 11 year activity cycle. Over the next couple of years, solar activity will begin to pick up again, increasing the likelihood of aurora over the UK. If you would like AuroraWatch to be operating during this period of
increased auroral activity, please support us by responding to this message!

2little2late
24-Apr-06, 14:38
I have received an email too. I will be sending my support.

knightofeth
24-Apr-06, 19:39
I received it too and have sent my support. I urge anyone interested in the aurora to do the same.