PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Scottish Band

Invisible
10-Dec-09, 13:00
After the post on the Runrig thread about them being the "best Scottish band", I'm on the lookout for Scottish Bands to play at work, as only Scottish bands are allowed.

The Proclaimers, Runrig, Primal Scream, Idelwild, Nazareth, Big Country, Wolfstone, Face the West, Travis, Franz Ferdinand, McCalmans, Mogwai, Biffy, Frattelis are all the Scottish bands I have at present.

I was running out of ideas so much I even put on Rod Stewart.

Two questions really. Who would say is the best Scottish Band and also which Scottish band would you recommend.

bky
10-Dec-09, 13:24
Some more Scottish bands for you
The Sensational Alex Harvey band - Delilah and Boston tea party
or Stone the Crows
or Average White Band
or Belle & Sebastian
or Deacon Blue
or Gallagher & Lyle
or Slik
or Idlewild

Avoid -Bay City Rollers - The MacDonald Bros(x-factor)

PartChimp
10-Dec-09, 14:19
The Xcerts, Aereogramme, Flood of Red, Yashin - a few more awesome Scottish bands! :D

Kenneth
10-Dec-09, 16:57
Aberfeldy!

tonkatojo
10-Dec-09, 17:00
bay city rollers. some brilliant music.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Dec-09, 17:28
For me Simple Minds.One of the best intros to a song,the beginning of 'Ghostdancing'.:)

zebedy
10-Dec-09, 20:12
The Xcerts, Aereogramme, Flood of Red, Yashin - a few more awesome Scottish bands! :D

if this was facebook i would love this post :P

as my band has played with three out of the four of them :P

davie
10-Dec-09, 20:35
It must of course be the Jimmy Shand Dance Band. All these others mentioned were but a flash in the pan whereas Shand lives on

steeko
10-Dec-09, 21:51
The Silencers

and JJ Gilmour is doing great on his own.

steeko
10-Dec-09, 21:52
or Belle & Sebastian

love B & S
The State I Am In rocks!

PartChimp
10-Dec-09, 22:26
Sucioperro!!! :D

Can't believe i forgot about them! :roll:

steeko
10-Dec-09, 22:31
Mull Historical Society
Arab Strap
The Supernaturals

Tubthumper
10-Dec-09, 23:12
Sensational Alex Harvey Band 'Next'... hahahahah

zappster
10-Dec-09, 23:25
Sensational Alex Harvey Band 'Next'... hahahahah

SAHB The greatest scottish band ever in my opinion!

loganbiffy
10-Dec-09, 23:41
Some more PartChimp forgot about lol.

Marmaduke Duke
Twin Atlantic

Check them.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Dec-09, 02:08
AC/DC. No question.

Invisible
11-Dec-09, 11:34
AC/DC. No question.

I agree Bon Scott, Malcolm & Angus Young were Scottish - but being based down under can they be classed as Scottish? Of course I say!.

In that case is Colin Hay (Men At Work) Scottish or Snow Patrol?

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Dec-09, 11:52
I agree Bon Scott, Malcolm & Angus Young were Scottish - but being based down under can they be classed as Scottish? Of course I say!.

In that case is Colin Hay (Men At Work) Scottish or Snow Patrol?

I interviewed Colin Hay a few weeks back and he is most certainly a Scot. Snow Patrol can go play kerby on the motorway for all I care, but as for AC/DC? Well, if Franz Ferdinand are Scottish then AC/DC ought to have the freedom of the country.

buddyrich
11-Dec-09, 15:15
Damn right. Ac/dc and Nazareth.

johnny north
11-Dec-09, 19:56
The Jesus and Mary Chain

evelyn
11-Dec-09, 23:46
The skids, rezillos, franz ferdinand, kissing bandits, james king and the lone wolves and our very own howlin gaels.

Bruce
12-Dec-09, 01:20
what can i say the corries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ballinleish
12-Dec-09, 10:55
vatersay boys brilliant

Blast!
12-Dec-09, 20:10
Aberfeldy!

Add these to your list chief:

Frightened Rabbit
The Twilight Sad
My Latest Novel
Belle & Sebastian
We Were Promised Jetpacks
Dananananaykroyd
Broken Records
King Creosote
Sons & Daughters
Beerjacket
Camera Obscura
Broken Records
The Second Hand Marching Band
Washington Irving

Probably missed a few off there.

Blast!
12-Dec-09, 20:14

Frightened Rabbit
The Twilight Sad
My Latest Novel
Belle & Sebastian
Dananananaykroyd
Broken Records
King Creosote
Sons & Daughters
Beerjacket
Camera Obscura
Broken Records
Washington Irving

Age depending of course.

Jeid
12-Dec-09, 20:56

Frightened Rabbit
The Twilight Sad
My Latest Novel
Belle & Sebastian
Dananananaykroyd
Broken Records
King Creosote
Sons & Daughters
Beerjacket
Camera Obscura
Broken Records
Washington Irving

So good they made it on twice! :lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Dec-09, 01:16

Frightened Rabbit - frighteningly bad
The Twilight Sad - touche
My Latest Novel - music for those bullied at school made by those bullied at school
Belle & Sebastian - sooner watch gay footballers pluck live turkeys
We Were Promised Jetpacks - I promise you'll never hear of them again
Dananananaykroyd - danananannoying
Broken Records - stuck records more like
King Creosote - king crouton
Sons & Daughters - that's just sick
Beerjacket - Beergut 100 is a better name
Camera Obscura - to think they've been spending our tax money
Broken Records - see 4
The Second Hand Marching Band - pretentious twaddle + 6th year poetry = an inverted pyramid of piffle
Washington Irving - another reason Glasgow should be destroyed, see 3

Send them over.

Jeid
13-Dec-09, 01:21
Jesus Bazza, no need to be a . I mean, I know a lot of people around here think you can't help it, but no need to prove them right. Uncalled for.

And, since you can't help yourself. AC/DC Scottish? Get a grip. More Australian than ever. There's more of a Scotsman in David Beckham.

GTFO

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Dec-09, 01:27
Jesus Bazza, no need to be a . I mean, I know a lot of people around here think you can't help it, but no need to prove them right. Uncalled for.

And, since you can't help yourself. AC/DC Scottish? Get a grip. More Australian than ever. There's more of a Scotsman in David Beckham.

GTFO

Just warming things up in here, it's been freezing for ages in these parts. :)

Jeid
13-Dec-09, 14:30
Haha... indeed.

Blast!
13-Dec-09, 15:37
Send them over.

You really are a aren't you? I guess we shouldn't expect anything else from you since your head is stuck so far your own arse. The person who started the thread asked for a list of Scottish bands to try out and that's what we're providing.

I like them though and I'd far rather listen to any of those bands that the absolutely garbage you try to pass as music.

FOAD

Invisible
13-Dec-09, 15:40
You really are a aren't you? I guess we shouldn't expect anything else from you since your head is stuck so far your own arse. The person who started the thread asked for a list of Scottish bands to try out and that's what we're providing.

I like them though and I'd far rather listen to any of those bands that the absolutely garbage you try to pass as music.

FOAD

calm doon now blast he was only jesting (i think)
I picked 4 bands from your list, that i intend on researching further.
WWPJ, DananananananaanananananAkroyd, King Creosote, sons & daughters.

Blast!
13-Dec-09, 16:00
calm doon now blast he was only jesting (i think)
I picked 4 bands from your list, that i intend on researching further.
WWPJ, DananananananaanananananAkroyd, King Creosote, sons & daughters.

You'd expect someone who writes about music for a living to be a bit more encouraging to young Scottish artists, that's all.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Dec-09, 17:57

FOAD

Are you Chris Crocker?

Blast!
13-Dec-09, 19:21
Are you Chris Crocker?

Negative Baz, you bear a striking resemblance to him though.

dessie
13-Dec-09, 19:52
what the hell is wrong..its RUNRIG of course..:Razz

buddyrich
13-Dec-09, 21:15

GTFO

?????????? Did you say that you're a scotsman that would like to be in david beckham?

'Mon the DC! A great scottish band.

gleeber
13-Dec-09, 23:16
The best Scottish band Ive ever heard was Grateful Dead. Brilliant!
Anyway, I was wondering about something. When you blokes meet in the pubs at christmas, do you ignore eachother or do you blether as if nothing ever happened? :eek:

Invisible
13-Dec-09, 23:23
Anyway, I was wondering about something. When you blokes meet in the pubs at christmas, do you ignore eachother or do you blether as if nothing ever happened? :eek:

Hate to inform you but - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_dead - aint Scottish

Jeid
13-Dec-09, 23:38
?????????? Did you say that you're a scotsman that would like to be in david beckham?

'Mon the DC! A great scottish band.

Poor, really poor.

F- will fail again

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Dec-09, 05:20

Everyone I've met from this section of the org have been very nice people indeed. Can't speak for them, but I reckon they don't think I'm a total ogre, either. Right, folks...? Right folks?!

Saveman
14-Dec-09, 13:36
TPC isn't a total ogre.....unless Snow Patrol come on the jukebox......then it all gets a bit unpredictable......;)

Jeid
14-Dec-09, 14:23
I've bumped into Baz a couple of times and shook hands and said hello. He's no a bad chap. In fact, most of the org people are fine, we just like a verbal joust!

Kenneth
14-Dec-09, 15:15
You're all ############s in my book!

Blast!
14-Dec-09, 16:22
I've bumped into Baz a couple of times and shook hands and said hello. He's no a bad chap. In fact, most of the org people are fine, we just like a verbal joust!

Exactly, this place is boring when everyone gets along.

gleeber
14-Dec-09, 22:35
Hate to inform you but - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_dead - aint Scottish
I didna see ye there invisible.
When I was a whippersnapper some of the talk spoken here was only thought. Ye widna dare. It was still fashionable to go out on a saturday night for a fight. :eek:
Fair play chaps.

canuck
14-Dec-09, 22:50
Everyone I've met from this section of the org have been very nice people indeed. Can't speak for them, but I reckon they don't think I'm a total ogre, either. Right, folks...? Right folks?!

Yes TPC, you are absolutely right!

Gleber2
14-Dec-09, 23:02
Ogres are big and frightening. Certainly not you!!!!!!! You're just a wee ginger heided twerp.[evil]

Jeid
14-Dec-09, 23:25
Ho ho, calm yer pants min, Ginger he may be... but he's got a full heid o'hair ;)

gleeber
14-Dec-09, 23:28
There a man above me whose no a bad Scottish musician. His yowng cheils no bad either.
I listened to his latest CD on the way up west yesterday. It's called Fats greatest non hits, Highly recommend it. Get it for your grannies for Christmas. [lol]

golach
14-Dec-09, 23:53
There a man above me whose no a bad Scottish musician. His yowng cheils no bad either.
I listened to his latest CD on the way up west yesterday. It's called Fats greatest non hits, Highly recommend it. Get it for your grannies for Christmas. [lol]
I had a look on YouTube, canna find it :(

Gleber2
15-Dec-09, 01:01
Ho ho, calm yer pants min, Ginger he may be... but he's got a full heid o'hair ;)
So???????????????

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-09, 01:47
And a Merry Christmas to all you baldies, indie kids, potential murderers, Rangers fans, and non-gingers alike, too. I can't remember all I might have said to offend anyone over the past year, but what can I say - it was a free bar :)

Have a Happy New Year, and and all the very best in 2010.

Good health!

Jeid
15-Dec-09, 02:11
Bazza.... GIRUY!

Shabbychic
19-Dec-09, 17:46
Back to Scottish Bands.......What about Beggar's Opera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOeYn73jyE)? Just noticed someone has put up Shark to Haggis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoTTIMZOLUM&feature=related).:D

fender
30-Dec-09, 15:39
Beggers Opera - Agree
Tear Gas (SAHB before Alex)
Marmalade
Blue (no not the boyband but the original ones with Nicholson and Macmillan)
Writing on the Wall (morphed into Beggars Opera)
Danny Wilson
Deacon Blue
Pallas
Stone the Crows
Gun
Frankie Miller
John Martyn
Silly Wizard

Boozeburglar
30-Dec-09, 22:25
Well if we were talking musicians not just bands John Martyn would be my choice all day long.

Regardless of where he was born, he is for me one of the greatest song writers of all time.

I saw him so many times, and now I am reminded I will never see him again. That is a deep cut.

I always thought Over The Hill summed up my frequent escapes home to the North well in my wild days in London.

I hope John is resting well.