PDA

View Full Version : unreal:

highland red
09-Dec-09, 21:51
I have responded once to a previous person on this forum when they were in disbelief at certain driving practices, but I feel I just have to give vent to my feelings in regard to local driving practice.

I don't want to even go near the culture of "boy/girl racers", ( the stats should be required reading for anyone that lives in our community), but more to the heart of why there isn't more "common sense and courtesy," in our day to day driving practice.

I am aware that there is a really high volume of "elderly and senior people" driving in Caithness ( and I maybe considered to be one of them), but I just cannot get my head around this: this is my right of way over you and even if it means I screw the whole junction/roundabout - as in Wick, then so be it. ( and am I aware of it but don't give a toss for you).

I have a really difficult time reconciling the fact that Caithness people are the most friendly people I've ever come across and yet on an everyday basis I seem to see the most petty "stuff you - me first" scenario(s)".

I know I'm not going to win myself any friends with this post, but I really feel I have to do it.
( rant over).

All the best to you all (I feel that this could be very well benefit us ALL in the long run)
H.R.
All realistic responses

NickInTheNorth
09-Dec-09, 22:11
... but I just cannot get my head around this: this is my right of way over you and even if it means I screw the whole junction/roundabout - as in Wick, then so be it. ( and am I aware of it but don't give a toss for you).

Highland red, I assume that the above is the point of your post?

If so what is the problem, if people start deciding that they will follow some kind of local practise rather than actually driving according to what is the reality of what is the "right of way" then chaos will rule.

If I've missed whatever point you were trying to make then please enlighten me.

Invisible
09-Dec-09, 22:13
Is the point on the subject of the Bridge Street Roundabout and how all of a sudden drivers forget to indicate or are indecisive about which exit to take.

Vistravi
09-Dec-09, 23:02
That wee thing is not a proper roundabout. I fear what would happen if caithness had a proper huge roundabout to deal with :roll:

To the orginal poster, I'm afraid common cursteoy(sp) isn't lacking just in caithness. In inverness it is worse. The big roundabouts near tesco inshes is an area in which my partner and myself have come very close several times to having someone drive right into our car! Most of the drivers of the other vehicles weren't even looking properly! Madness! When you let someone who is stuck out very rarely do they even acknowledge it. That happens everywhere.

young_fishin_neep
09-Dec-09, 23:58
i have driving lessons in wick 3 times a week at the moment (fingers crossed not for much longer) and i go over the roundabout quite alot, i find it frustrating the amount of people that dont indicate and dont realise when its their turn to go..

at the end of the day other people not signaling and not useing their right of way confuses me wich means i make stupid mistakes :(

im not saying im the perfect driver.. we all make mistakes but sometimes somepeople are just oblivious to there actions [evil]

upolian
10-Dec-09, 00:20
is it driving you up the wall?

Loraine
10-Dec-09, 00:26
at the end of the day other people not signaling and not useing their right of way confuses me wich means i make stupid mistakes :(

I know it's not fair but there are many drivers out there who at some point after passing their driving test lose all ability to use their indicators....and manners! It's a fact of life - but a frustrating one....:roll:

Fran
10-Dec-09, 02:07
I think the problem is that drivers forget that wherever you are on the roundabout, you give way to your right.

trix
10-Dec-09, 03:43
I just cannot get my head around this: this is my right of way over you .....

I have a really difficult time reconciling the fact that Caithness people are the most friendly people I've ever come across and yet on an everyday basis I seem to see the most petty "stuff you - me first" scenario(s)".

All realistic responses

i ken what ye mean 'heel'an reid', really i do...but i hev til say 'iss...

i went wi a cheily that wisna fie here....city boy, ken fit i mean? :roll:
he used til bomb aboot 'iss toon, ayie in a hurry, ragin at fowlk that wis takin their time, rite up their asses, cuttin in front o' kiddies...cursin 'e whole time aboot "speedin it up" or somethin...

now 'at 'e time, i wis a learner driver so couldna really say much...but i did used til say, "for 'e luv o' christ, will ye calm doon on all 'e speedin aboot an 'at, yer in weik, min"

i feel that we go by a polite, "efter ye...na na, take yer time ma friend" sort o' thing.

maybe all yon dudes that are getin on yer.....eh....nerves are incomers, foreign til 'e laid back community spirit...where yer neighbour is yer mate, an probly no some psycho-maniac.

eh....mabye i need til take off these rose tinted glesses for a while :eek:

Kirdon
10-Dec-09, 11:57
That wee thing is not a proper roundabout. I fear what would happen if caithness had a proper huge roundabout to deal with :roll:

Personally I think that if it were a real proper sized roundabout then people would then understand it better, you give way to the person coming from your right when they are ON the roundabout not when you are sitting at rver street and they are still at DE's. Also from the other side, you only have right of way from the person at your left when you have actually moved onto the roundabout not 300m from IT!!!!!.
Sorry, rant over.

Even Chance
10-Dec-09, 15:44
Personally I think that if it were a real proper sized roundabout then people would then understand it better, you give way to the person coming from your right when they are ON the roundabout not when you are sitting at rver street and they are still at DE's. Also from the other side, you only have right of way from the person at your left when you have actually moved onto the roundabout not 300m from IT!!!!!.
Sorry, rant over.

Exactly!!

All too often as well, it becomes the "mexican standoff", when everyone decides to wait on everyone else. I just go under these circumstances.

AfternoonDelight
10-Dec-09, 16:14
Driving is much worse in the cities (Edinburgh/Glasgow, yes even Inverness) than it is in caithness. I drive a lot and (touch wood) I never really notice any problems with other people's driving.

Like Even Chance - if there are three other people waiting at the roundabout and no-one wants to go then I will, no point in sitting there all day and certainly no point getting worked up about it.

I sometimes wonder how these moaners actually get on with life if they have to leave the county?? If all you have to worry about is other people's driving then it's time to start counting your blessings!

bobandag16
10-Dec-09, 16:32
I have responded once to a previous person on this forum when they were in disbelief at certain driving practices, but I feel I just have to give vent to my feelings in regard to local driving practice.

I don't want to even go near the culture of "boy/girl racers", ( the stats should be required reading for anyone that lives in our community), but more to the heart of why there isn't more "common sense and courtesy," in our day to day driving practice.

I am aware that there is a really high volume of "elderly and senior people" driving in Caithness ( and I maybe considered to be one of them), but I just cannot get my head around this: this is my right of way over you and even if it means I screw the whole junction/roundabout - as in Wick, then so be it. ( and am I aware of it but don't give a toss for you).

I know I'm not going to win myself any friends with this post, but I really feel I have to do it.
( rant over).

All the best to you all (I feel that this could be very well benefit us ALL in the long run)
H.R.
All realistic responses
re move it water finds its own level mistake in first plce

Hibeechick
10-Dec-09, 16:38
The traffic lights at the bottom of Dempster street are just as bad!! Someone nearly went right into the side of me on Tuesday, when rather than looking at what was coming from Thurso Road they were more interested in what was coming along Francis Street. They then turned right to go towards the Cliff without even looking!

Oh and just incase anyone things I pulled out infront of them, I was going straight on.

steeko
11-Dec-09, 00:05
Living in Perth now, got a few bigger roundabouts to contend with (Inveralmond, Broxden) and some of the driving is really poor. Sometimes its people not knowing the road, other times people drive like maniacs, but it can be pretty scarey stuff at times. I was hit at Broxden not long ago when someone just pulled right into my lane without checking. I try to get up north as much as I can, and some of the driving is poor, but then again, its not like I've never made a mistake behind the wheel.

northener
11-Dec-09, 13:04
The one saving grace up here (regarding driving standards) is that most people are pretty laid back about the whole driving experience.

Some up here seem more prone to making stupid, avoidable errors - or blatantly wandering down the road with scant regard for their fellow road users - but at leat they don't generally try to carve you up deliberately.

Having said that, I can drive down to Gloucestershire and back (about 1200 miles) without any incident and yet as soon as i get into Wick I know that I'll have someone arsing up priority at the roundabout, cars pulling out without even looking and numpties parking in ridiculous places for a gossip with some idiot who stands in the road to speak to the driver instead of on the pavement.

All good fun......