PDA

View Full Version : Land line or mobile?

achingale
09-Dec-09, 10:42
I have come to the conculsion that BT charge too much for a fixed land line and was thinking of changing to mobile phone only. But my problem is the internet. I enjoy surfing and I e-mail Word documents to various places. Is there any such internet access where I can still do these documents and e-mail them off using a moblie or is that technology non-existent? Has anyone else got rid of their land line and simply surfs on their mobile? How do you find it and what phone and network would you recommend? I hope someone can help.

balto
09-Dec-09, 10:47
well i got ri of bt altogether an went with talk talk for the whole lot, line rental aswell, far better of now, bt are way to expensive. I know you get the tongles that plug into your laptop from the mobile companys, they seem not ba price think one of the cheapest i have seen is £25 per month. why not buy a blackberry as a 1 of cost as you can send emails an everything with them, just a thought.

Phill
09-Dec-09, 10:58
I use a Blackberry and I find it a great piece of kit but not fantastic for surfing. Out of the office it does do as a backup but there are some sites it cannot load (but these are specific sites which have Java & / or encryption).

For email it is fine, which is the reason I went with BB as it has push email.
You can send attachments but the editing software for .docs & .xls etc is limited so you would have to about sending them from PC to the BB etc.

Wifey has a Nokia N97 which is better for surfing but still not 100%. And can send / receive email etc.

I also use a vodafone dongle which again is fine as a backup but I couldn't use it all the time.

Your probably better looking round for a cheaper landline & broadband provider. (but it all still goes through BT anyhow).

daisychain
09-Dec-09, 11:35
Tesco and 24Talk are both alot cheaper than BT for a landline.

northener
09-Dec-09, 16:24
Going to a different landline company will certainly save you money.

But when problems arise concerning the landline, just be aware that your new provider and BT will happily kick you backwards and forwards between them, rather thanj admit that the problem is theirs.

EDDIE
09-Dec-09, 18:26
I have come to the conculsion that BT charge too much for a fixed land line and was thinking of changing to mobile phone only. But my problem is the internet. I enjoy surfing and I e-mail Word documents to various places. Is there any such internet access where I can still do these documents and e-mail them off using a moblie or is that technology non-existent? Has anyone else got rid of their land line and simply surfs on their mobile? How do you find it and what phone and network would you recommend? I hope someone can help.

Well it depends do u have mobile broadband signal were u live if u do u can get a mobile phone on contract and u can get internet tethering services put on it and that turns your phone into a router so you can connect your pc via wifi to your phone to get internet

steeko
09-Dec-09, 20:13
I stopped BT also as they are too expensive so just use mobile b/b for my internet and a mobile phone for the few calls i need to make.