PDA

View Full Version : What's the point?

joxville
08-Dec-09, 19:57
You go to work and put in the hours, standing in to help many times at short notice, learn every job in every department to try better your career prospects, put up with all manner of crap because someday you'll be rewarded with a promotion and then what happens? The Manager moves on and someone from outside the depot gets the position job instead of me. No disrespect to my new boss but he has no experience of the industry, he only got the job because he's a Post Graduate in something at Uni. I'm bloody furious but can't say anything to the Area Manager about his decision to give the job to someone else, he'll just tell me if I don't like it then I know where the door is; and who can afford to quit a job in the present climate? [disgust]

Tubthumper
08-Dec-09, 20:12
Jox, you need to calm right down
Just take a pill and lose the frown
Have a look at where you are
And think about an answer
Is this nice shiny post-grad clown
Who's new to job and fresh in town
Quite good at being managar
Or just another chancer

Joxville baby, just relax
And think about a place
A beach, some music, awful far
Away from depot race

Just think of good things where you are
Or maybe Katy Meluar
All skimpy clad and looking for
A bloke to hold her hand
Her new stage show spectacular
You driving her big Jaguar
And warning off attentions from
The blokes that's in her band

Joxville baby, just relax
This new chap will in time
Turn out to be another mover
Smarmy, full of slime

So back to Katy Meluar
And bottles right behind a bar
Bikini straps are hanging loose
And all because of Jox
There's Katy who's so popular
Her singings way above by far
She looks a million dollars
Even in her thermal socks

And Joxville baby, things will change
You'll get what you deserve
This new guy is a Uni-type
He hasn't got the nerve

He'll move on just like all the rest
About two years at max
Before he gets found out he'll jump
In case he gets the axe

Iffy
08-Dec-09, 20:27
That is so unfair Joxville.

It's difficult enough, as you say, in todays hard job climate, but when you give it your all, and are consciencious (spl?) about your job and do your utmost, to have some "newby" come in over your head....[evil]
Just keep thinking - "What goes around, comes around" .
Your time will come lad.. your time will come.
I don't know you personally, but could well imagine you to be a very consciensious (spl?) worker, so dinna let the "hierarchy" get you down!

Hey, it'll be a New Year soon, so just keep your chin up and see what that may bring forth for you, eh?

lister
08-Dec-09, 21:26
You go to work and put in the hours, standing in to help many times at short notice, learn every job in every department to try better your career prospects, put up with all manner of crap because someday you'll be rewarded with a promotion and then what happens? The Manager moves on and someone from outside the depot gets the position job instead of me. No disrespect to my new boss but he has no experience of the industry, he only got the job because he's a Post Graduate in something at Uni. I'm bloody furious and pissed off but can't say anything to the Area Manager about his decision to give the job to someone else, he'll just tell me if I don't like it then I know where the door is; and who can afford to quit a job in the present climate? [disgust]

Ah poor little me eh?
There are some (if ye havena seen in the news)millions unemployed an yer gurning about promotion,,,get real .

Tubthumper
08-Dec-09, 22:01
Lister - Tchyoub?

lister
08-Dec-09, 22:14
Lister - Tchyoub?

Right back at ye girlie:lol:

changilass
08-Dec-09, 22:18
With that sort of attitude we may as well all stay home and do nowt, better still go sleep on the front step as there are folks sleeping rough and we shouldnt want to better ourselves when there are those worse off.

Never mind Jox, your time will come. Don't let them get you down.

sharona
08-Dec-09, 22:18
Tuff about geting further in the job you never do for others it never pays off been there only time you try harder at work wen you work for your self we all learn the hard way

Rheghead
08-Dec-09, 22:34
It is just a fact of life that no matter how good you are at your vocation, if you haven't got a higher certificate or a degree then you will nearly always hit a glass ceiling. There are lots of guys out there looking for jobs who have got degrees and looking for work. Quite frankly, you don't need to know an industry from the inside out to get on, you just need to show that you can manage people who do know the industry from the iinside out.

Vistravi
08-Dec-09, 22:42
Good things come to those who wait ;)

Tubthumper
08-Dec-09, 23:20
Quite frankly, you don't need to know an industry from the inside out to get on, you just need to show that you can manage people who do know the industry from the inside out.
One of the problems we have seems to be precisely that attitude. Loads of folk who don't want to learn the job queuing up to get on; no-one actually achieving anything much. Streams of people graduating on the promise of improved life prospects, wanting to bypass the grind of 'serving ones time' in a a workplace... and then there's that mysterious thing that happens, that says a graduate can somehow automatically be a good manager of people... just because he/she is a graduate! Can we afford to support everyone being a leader? I don't think so, so why encourage everyone to think that way?
In the army, one becomes an officer by dint of showing one has the requisite leadership qualities, and then undergo a huge amount of development work before one is actually permitted to lead. That said, it's a very foolish young officer who neglects to take account of the military & life experience of his senior NCOs.
Many young graduates don't tend to do any of that stuff. They just go to uni, pass exams and expect it to happen.
And before anyone stabs me for being anti-graduate, I know plenty of utter erses who were apprentices, and plenty others who were servicemen.
My point is this - we as a country should get our heads out of the 'go to uni - its the only way to progress' rut.
It's what you are that counts, not what certificates you have!

joxville
08-Dec-09, 23:26
Ah poor little me eh?
There are some (if ye havena seen in the news)millions unemployed an yer gurning about promotion,,,get real .
I certainly appreciate I'm one of the lucky ones that hasn't been hit too hard by the recession so mustn't complain too much. How would you feel if you'd worked damn hard and gave up many weekends and some social life just to be overlooked when the chance of promotion came along?

It is just a fact of life that no matter how good you are at your vocation, if you haven't got a higher certificate or a degree then you will nearly always hit a glass ceiling. There are lots of guys out there looking for jobs who have got degrees and looking for work. Quite frankly, you don't need to know an industry from the inside out to get on, you just need to show that you can manage people who do know the industry from the iinside out.

I'm not going to knock the new boss, he's studied and worked hard to get where he is. It's just galling that he'll learn how the depot works from me and others, rather than start at the bottom and work his way up.

Tubthumper
08-Dec-09, 23:26
There are lots of guys out there looking for jobs who have got degrees and looking for work.
Doesn't that kind of reinforce my point?

golach
08-Dec-09, 23:51
I'm not going to knock the new boss, he's studied and worked hard to get where he is. It's just galling that he'll learn how the depot works from me and others, rather than start at the bottom and work his way up.

Jox, I feel for you mate, but t'was ever so in this life, I have encountered this sort of discrimination in my years in the Civil Service, I do not have the answer. Hope after a weekend off and a bit of social life, you end up feeling better.

poppett
08-Dec-09, 23:54
Think about it Jox. You are a far more valuable asset to the company being a member of the regular workforce who can do everything when the chips are down. This new guy may be able to manage people and delegate, but when half the workforce are off with the manflu who can work the machinery or whatever it takes to get the job done..........yes Jox ...... You.

Take it from me, you are worth your weight in gold to your employers.

Turquoise
09-Dec-09, 00:01
Something I was told many years ago, Jox, which always makes me feel better:

Most of the time, the ones who receive promotions are given them in order to get rid of them from the dept.

If you had the choice to promote the good guy and be stuck with the person you couldn't be bothered with, chances are you would promote the latter just to get rid of them :)

It may not be the same in your case, but it's certainly the flipside way to look at things!

Tubthumper
09-Dec-09, 00:11
Something I was told many years ago, Jox, which always makes me feel better: Most of the time, the ones who receive promotions are given them in order to get rid of them from the dept. If you had the choice to promote the good guy and be stuck with the person you couldn't be bothered with, chances are you would promote the latter just to get rid of them :)
This seems to be the way of it. Also, the many bosses who have achieved their position by that route have selected similar people to be their successors!
I think we're knackered...

Rheghead
09-Dec-09, 00:22
I think we're knackered...

Easy answer to that one, get yourself a higher education if you think you can do a good job, there's no point in fighting the system or you'll be a long time retired thinking what you could have made of yourself if you just made the effort... And there are plenty ways to get educated. No employer will look at anyone who can't prove themselves that they can achieve a higher level of academic ability. No offence but your posts come across as reverse snobbery tbh.

I was not academically qualified and I just took the decision to get educated through the OU because I was sick of vocational work and once I did then doors started to open up.

Turquoise
09-Dec-09, 00:23
It tends to happen in bigger companies especially, but I'm happy to say I've never seen it anywhere I've worked. It's always best to do your homework before you accept a job somewhere so that you can avoid these work situations, where possible.

Turquoise
09-Dec-09, 00:26
Easy answer to that one, get yourself a higher education if you think you can do a good job, there's no point in fighting the system and there are plenty ways to do it. No employer will look at anyone who can't prove themselves have acheived a certain level of academic ability. No offence but your posts come across as reverse snobbery tbh.

I was not academically qualified and I just took the decision to get educated through the OU and once I did then doors started to open up.

Not everyone has the time or money to study.

I know what you're saying but achieving professional qualifications is not a realistic option for many people.

Rheghead
09-Dec-09, 00:28
Not everyone has the time or money to study.

I know what you're saying but achieving professional qualifications is not a realistic option for many people.

Quite frankly that is a cop out, I've met busy people with busy lives and they still manage to make time rather than find the time to study.

Turquoise
09-Dec-09, 00:34
Quite frankly that is a cop out, I've met busy people with busy lives and they still manage to make time rather than find the time to study.

It can cost a great deal of money to study, which some people simply cannot afford. There is some funding available, but it is minimal and is usually income based, so many people do not qualify.

Tubthumper
09-Dec-09, 01:02
Easy answer to that one, get yourself a higher education if you think you can do a good job, there's no point in fighting the system or you'll be a long time retired thinking what you could have made of yourself if you just made the effort... And there are plenty ways to get educated. No employer will look at anyone who can't prove themselves have acheived a certain level of academic ability. No offence but your posts come across as reverse snobbery tbh.

I was not academically qualified and I just took the decision to get educated through the OU because I was sick of vocational work and once I did then doors started to open up.
Good for you and I really mean that. And the reverse snobbery part, I can see that too (although I'm trying to stir it a bit).
However, much as I wish everyone to make as much of themselves as they can, if everyone wishes to escape vocational work and gain academic quals, (a) who will fix the plumbing? (b) How can we afford to educate everyone (c) who will be in charge (d) how will we afford to pay the cleaners?
Education - makes everything better doesn't it. However, if it's that good, how come our country (run by smarties) is in the cack?

Rheghead
09-Dec-09, 01:25
It can cost a great deal of money to study, which some people simply cannot afford. There is some funding available, but it is minimal and is usually income based, so many people do not qualify.

Wealth is never a barrier to education as there are concessional rates to those hard up.

David Banks
09-Dec-09, 02:23
It's just galling that he'll learn how the depot works from me and others, rather than start at the bottom and work his way up.

Oh boy.
I know exactly what that feels like.
And the possibility that the 'new' person may be a better manager - yea - better at managing to pick our brains - and yes, we end up nursemaiding him through, so he won't fall flat on his stupid face - we can't help being helpful.
He'll move on before he's found out - 2 years, 3 at the most. Unfortunately, his wallet will be fatter.

cuddlepop
09-Dec-09, 09:17
Thats just so unfair but unfortunatly experience counts for nothing.

Big companies tend to go for that piece of paper and forget about the excisting employees that have spent a great deal of time and effort getting it right.
You've done your best just remember that, but be very carefull that the new boss just doesnt have the experience for the job and picks your brains or belittles you as he sees you as a threat.:(

Maybe its time to move on or start on your own.

cuddlepop
09-Dec-09, 09:20
Oh boy.
I know exactly what that feels like.
And the possibility that the 'new' person may be a better manager - yea - better at managing to pick our brains - and yes, we end up nursemaiding him through, so he won't fall flat on his stupid face - we can't help being helpful.
He'll move on before he's found out - 2 years, 3 at the most. Unfortunately, his wallet will be fatter.

Yes david we too have experienced this and have come to the conclusion some companies promote their "mistakes" as they havent a clue what to do with them.
Usually there,s a trail of very unhappy employees left behind because of the misery an unexperienced individual can cause.:~(

lister
09-Dec-09, 09:47

If ye want the goal ye'll make it ,,if yer determined enough!
Just wanting promotion isn't enough...the management watch up an coming professionals to see how they deal with letdowns.
This says allot about pushing to achieve when possibly they're not ready..
Realisation is what is paramount here,and yer place in the company.its well known this...but i guess there's allot they don't teach in Uni that is real in real life!!!
Just think how some are feeling reading these posts when professionals whine about their position in life,,oh woe is me...my my my ..
If yer suitable then ye'll achieve ,if not ye wont,,,job done...from the employers point of view..plain an simple..no need for poor little me syndrome.

lister
09-Dec-09, 10:03
Lister - Tchyoub?

Calling me a Tchyoub eh..
when ye write a poem Tchoyoubthumper ye need flair an insight an talent which ye have none of by yer post little girl..scorned are ye oh dear me yer lack of elloquence in this reply stands as who ye are .
If ye could write a poem of decent narrative i might have altered my thoughts but No ye cannae!!
Life ......ye need to understand it more to write true poetry...[lol]

Phill
09-Dec-09, 10:30
Jox, Subterfuge and sabotage can work wonders. Set the guy up for a big fall and make sure your the one to save the day and let all the management know about it! :cool:

Seriously, it is a piddler when this sort of thing happens. But do "management" know your ambitions?
Have you thought about changing depots?
Often if your sat waiting for opportunity in one place it rarely comes, but move about a bit and find the opportunities.

And, have you got the bigger picture? Is it job's for the boys, promotion through incompetence, redeployment etc. etc.

It's a very difficult job market right now so you need to think hard, but jumping ship is often the way ahead. Go for a better job with a different company.....find your promotion.

I was getting shafted by a company I was working for so I gave them 2 fingers and took a job elsewhere. It was a step backwards position wise but it made me stand out and in no time I dragged mesel up the ladder a bit.
Couple of years later the original company was screaming for me to go back and I had the upper hand at the negotiating table. :lol:

And management isn't always it's cracked up to be, more responsibility, more people to answer too, bigger butt kickings, aggro' from the above and below!
And sometimes these "handsome" salaries don't work out to the hours. When I went back to above mentioned co' I had a "nice" salary but hour per hour I earned less than the labourers on the site.

achingale
09-Dec-09, 10:46
I do not think there is anything you can do unfortunately, but companies find out if their graduate is up to the job or not. And from experience, engineers have great qualifications but no common sense at times, so hold on to the that thought. Your experience is much better than his, and this for me is what counts, and you know the work inside out. You never know what the future may bring.

Angela
09-Dec-09, 11:54
Jox, I'm afraid that if you stay in the same job for too long, you can easily become taken for granted and management start thinking of you as a trusty, dependable workhorse. It comes down to the 'don't work hard, work smart' thing. :roll:

I've been in that situation (despite having a degree! ;)) as is my younger daughter right now (and yes, she has a degree too). You really need to either discuss your career aspirations within the company with your manager or HR department and find out if there is perhaps training that will increase what they see as your value to them. Sometimes companies will pay for it all, sometimes they will share the cost with you. In any case, it's worth showing them that you want to progress your career, or else they will just see you as someone who does his job well and they will be more than happy to have you remain in that same job.

Failing that, it does pay to move around a bit, and from a position of strength -i.e. when you have a job, not when you're unemployed. Extra training and/or qualifications and showing that you are being proactive about improving your skills will make you more attractive to other potential employers as well.

I must say that over the years I've found self employment the only way to ensure that my boss really appreciates my efforts so that might be something for you to bear in mind perhaps?

Don't expect it to be 'fair' -life isn't, usually -you need to be much more cunning! ;)

Tubthumper
09-Dec-09, 13:34
Calling me a Tchyoub eh..
when ye write a poem Tchoyoubthumper ye need flair an insight an talent which ye have none of by yer post little girl..scorned are ye oh dear me yer lack of elloquence in this reply stands as who ye are .
If ye could write a poem of decent narrative i might have altered my thoughts but No ye cannae!!
Life ......ye need to understand it more to write true poetry...[lol]
[lol] Whoops, seem to have touched a raw nerve there!
Thanks for the critique. 'twasn't meant to be poetry really, just a jolly ditty to lighten the day of someone feeling a bit low. Surprised someone with your depth of life experience wasn't more sympathetic.
Yes, an understanding of life is needed for good poetry. How about sending some of yours in, stick it on the Literature board?
But let's not fall out over a silly community website, eh?

Leanne
09-Dec-09, 15:11
What you need to get is the job description of the post you want and compare it to the post you have (if there is a scoring system for the post like there is in the NHS that can be beneficial too). Pick out major points that can be of relelvance and work towards those. Don't specifically put yourself out to stay late, start early as although that is appreciated it doesn't get you promotional points - you make yourself indispensible so they can't afford to promote you (after all they would need to employ a person and a half to do the work you have been doing).

Make sure you keep a diary of what you have done (a Continued Proffessional Development portfolio) so that you can refer your employer to examples of how you have achieved above and beyond your role (but within your remit). Keep examples of how you have dealt with problems, how you have managed people, how you have managed yourself, how you have managed time, requisitioning and finance if you can get a finger in, development of the department, innovation. Be creative! And then reflect the pieces of evidence back against the job description of the post you want.

One thing to remember is most posts say "educated to degree level, or equivalent experience". Get the experience - put yourself forwards.

Brown nosing is also a great way of getting on. Not in a creepy way of course... Go to your new boss and explain that you are trying to get ahead with your career and ask them if they will mentor you. They may not exactly be able to teach you much but the very fact that what they have taught you (which of course you already know ;) ) is down on paper shows that you are serious. It also works wonders for office morale as they feel included too :) But if they feel accepted they are also more likely to put you forwards for training or short courses.

I'm a prime example of someone who has got to where I am by pushing myself. I had to completely retrain about 2 years ago because my job changed. I was at the point of thinking about going further but that got put to a stop. I hadn;t got my masters degree so couldn't apply for posts higher graded... i got a new job and in my new post I sat quietly for a few months and then started putting myself forwards for more difficult work - there was no way I was getting into that situation again. After another 6 months I got put forward for a quality managers post - I didn't get it but the manager higher than the manager who put me forward put me forward for a national vocational management course. There were two places for the whole of NW England and I came 3rd. But I could put it on my CV! I pushed to start my masters degree through work - I ended up having to pay half (£1000 per year - 3 year degree part time). I couldn't afford this but I thought I would just cut out all my pleasures for a year! After a year I started applying for managment posts quoting "equivalent experience" and that I was prepared to work towards the degree. I got the job here in Wick! They asked if I wanted to continue my degree and I replied that I wasn't that fussed so I just took away the knowledge from the first year but no paper...

I love my job and am so glad that I brown nosed and was skint for a year as the cash now is very much appreciated!!! I love the lifestyle, the area, the countryside, the people, my colleagues, the work - absolutely everything!

My situation proves that you can achieve things above the glass ceiling as long as you are canny about it...

Oh one more additional point to think about is that they also are looking for broad experience - if you have been in your job longer than 5 years then you may be limiting yourself. They say that to gain enough experience to take away experience of value, but not enough that you start becoming 'fixtures and fittings', is between 3 and 5 years. Leave it longer than that and you are seen as someone happy with their position in life and not seriously wanting to progress. Prove them wrong!!!

northener
09-Dec-09, 16:37
Good for you and I really mean that. And the reverse snobbery part, I can see that too (although I'm trying to stir it a bit).
However, much as I wish everyone to make as much of themselves as they can, if everyone wishes to escape vocational work and gain academic quals, (a) who will fix the plumbing? (b) How can we afford to educate everyone (c) who will be in charge (d) how will we afford to pay the cleaners?
Education - makes everything better doesn't it. However, if it's that good, how come our country (run by smarties) is in the cack?

You've made a very good point thete, Tubs.

For many years now the Edjercashun system has been selling the myth that University and degree study is the only way forward and all else is 'below' anyone with ambition and drive. Anyone partaking in vocational training or wishing to learn a traditional trade has been sidelined for too long. Presumably because the idiotic 'system' that we live in has decreed that we will all work in media, social services or hospitality. And everyone will be a MD or a CEO.....[disgust]

Anything looking vaguely technical or requiring a scientific approach will be done by 'someone else'. Not us Brits - all that stuff is beneath us now, we have degrees in Humanity Studies and Modern Art, dontcha know!

The result? Swathes of disillusioned young people on the scrapheap clutching a worthless degree.

Shoulda done the sparkies or the plumbers course......

steeko
09-Dec-09, 20:24
If the new guy is useless at his job im sure he will be found out in due course.

Phill
09-Dec-09, 20:59
If the new guy is useless at his job im sure he will be found out in due course.

And promoted to area manager!

Invisible
09-Dec-09, 23:37
That's rubbish new Jox. :(
If the job was based on one's humour - you would get the post hands down

upolian
10-Dec-09, 00:34
in this economy its more worrying the amount of people that are out of work never mind getting a promotion

Kenneth
10-Dec-09, 10:48
It's what you are that counts, not what certificates you have!

I'm pretty sure if you come out of university with a post graduate degree then you ARE probably a hard working young chap and suitable for the job in question.

Phill
10-Dec-09, 12:27
I'm pretty sure if you come out of university with a post graduate degree then you ARE probably a hard working young chap and suitable for the job in question.

Unfortunately not guaranteed, having spent a few years at a Uni I can say they have there fair (maybe more) share of bone idle layabouts that somehow manage to scrape through.

Also having been tasked to look after a group of post grad's in the workplace and help nurture their talents (?) I can honestly say that the system is flawed.
The scary part is the belief by some that the degree alone is enough to assume that they have the skills and experience to make sound judgements.
:eek:

Degrees may be fine but practical experience is also required in equal measure.

Tubthumper
10-Dec-09, 21:05
Respect to all you who have gained the educational standard you have sought. I'm not really against graduates, some of my best mates have degrees... As a country we should be supporting the education of those who are willing to work towards the roles that need filled. Doctors, Engineers, Chemists, Physicists. There should be equity in valuing qualifications; at the moment, there's an incredible attitude in some very influential quarters that accepts an HND as merely a pause on the journey to a first degree. Kids should not be encouraged to 'go to Uni', they should be encouraged to strive for the best they can achieve to meet their aspirations. And consider other routes and times for getting there. And as much support should be given to Further Ed as is apportioned to Higher Ed. Very limited places should be supported for more creative courses. Anyone who wants to study the history of art should do it under their own steam. Support for a BA in violin-playing should require a welding qualification to go with it! No more 'degree required, any degree will do; it shows you can study' claptrap. There's too much focus on academia for its own sake in this country; too many highly-qualified fragile & needy types who cost a lot but don't appear to improve anything. And there's still too much selfishness and greed. I'm a mere bus driver just now, but I seek betterment!

lister
10-Dec-09, 21:14
Poetry being at the top of yer list til learn maybe...:lol:

Tubthumper
10-Dec-09, 21:19
Poetry being at the top of yer list til learn maybe...:lol:

And maybe figure out how to set the spacing out on the page - don't know what happened there?? Glad you're still talking to me Listy - look forward to seeing your creations on the Lit forum!

lister
10-Dec-09, 21:40
And maybe figure out how to set the spacing out on the page - don't know what happened there?? Glad you're still talking to me Listy - look forward to seeing your creations on the Lit forum!

A bus driver...well i do have some respect for ye now lookin at the state o the roads an o'course the crazeeeee driving ye must see and not to mention the general public for giving ye quite probably the most real unreal experience of yer life,not to mention the school run, an yer ok for the banter...
Take all that life throws an give it back 2 fold.
An dont get me started on bliddy computers an all their apps ,tab this an corrugate that an remember the dooflicker wi the f2bios allignment options....an do ye want fries wi hid...i choost dont know,,,just dont know.???Who i mean who wrote this cak,an dont forget to speill cheeke ,jeez another thing till remember along with breathing.

Towards the current thread i thought my signature might strike a chord i thought it would but no one picked it up but in my experience its true so maybe Jox an ithers can take heart in the fact that when they go to work the staff dont think they are total an utter,total,total ones..

Maybe life is like a box of chocolates to some but in my case the human experience in work with managers and supervisors an such are more like a box of chocolates left on the front seat of a car in Mexico in the summer.....all melted an mixed an confusing an just no worth the bother..keep the promotion ye should say cos when ye go up ye meet all the stuff that floats to the top an ye have till converse an speak to on a daily basis....gives me the cold fusion effect in ma mind..

An no i didn't press spell check,,,I'm rebelling..ha

crayola
10-Dec-09, 22:37
You go to work and put in the hours, standing in to help many times at short notice, learn every job in every department to try better your career prospects, put up with all manner of crap because someday you'll be rewarded with a promotion and then what happens? The Manager moves on and someone from outside the depot gets the position job instead of me. No disrespect to my new boss but he has no experience of the industry, he only got the job because he's a Post Graduate in something at Uni. I'm bloody furious but can't say anything to the Area Manager about his decision to give the job to someone else, he'll just tell me if I don't like it then I know where the door is; and who can afford to quit a job in the present climate? [disgust]
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job Jox.

Was it advertised in a formal and open competition and did you apply for it?

joxville
10-Dec-09, 23:56
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job Jox.

Was it advertised in a formal and open competition and did you apply for it?

It wasn't advertised.

Traditionally the company always promoted staff within the depot, however, on this occassion the area manager decided to give the job to a Uni graduate before it was publicly announced my manager was moving to a new post within the company. I wouldn't have fet so bad had I failed to pass an interview, but it didn't even reach that stage.

I found out today from my outgoing boss that his replacement is the nephew of one of the company directors! I can take heart that it wasn't any fault on my part. I've met my future boss, he came across as a likeable chap, but time will tell how he takes to the real world after years of studying. I'll still give the company 100% because that's how I am, though I may not give the new boss all the info unless he asks for it, and he may not know what to ask. ;)

The scary thing is, he's only 26-I've been in the workforce longer than he's been on this planet. :eek:

Phill
11-Dec-09, 00:52
though I may not give the new boss all the info unless he asks for it, and he may not know what to ask.

Remember the phrase: " I taught him all he knows" and then remember "but I didn't teach him all I know".

Aaldtimer
11-Dec-09, 04:05
..."I found out today from my outgoing boss that his replacement is the nephew of one of the company directors!"...
Aye, and there's the nub! Bloody disgusting![disgust]

golach
11-Dec-09, 11:03
Joxville, earlier in this post I left my sympathies with you, never thinking I could have the same feelings.
I am a guide on the Edinburgh Bus tours, have been a casual guide for the last 4 seasons, a job I have loved and enjoyed, I was called into the Managers office to be handed my usual end of season letter and thank you for your loyal service talk. Only to be told as I fall into the over 70 years old trap next year, I will not be needed in 2010, to say I was stunned was an under statement, sadly I am not the only guide who falls into this age trap there are about 10 or more who are similarily affected, one guide is even 81 a fit man he has been employed for 12 years, who again is a wonderful and loyal worker, who wears a kilt most of the year and the visitors love this.
I will not be affected finacially with the loss of this job, I did this job as a hobby, one I loved, I even have a groupie who has come over from Canada the last 3 years, and she only comes on the tours that I do, so I must be doing something right.
The Company's reason has been stated that insurance premiums for employing over 70's has shot up and Edinburgh Tours can no longer afford to employ us.
Sorry Jox for breaking into your Thread.

joxville
11-Dec-09, 19:53
So sorry to hear that Golach, especially as you done it more for love than money. How many of the new guides will be able to give a running commentary without the use of an info. sheet? :roll:

Tubthumper
12-Dec-09, 00:25
I'm really sorry to hear that news Golach. Edinburgh's visitors won't get the same insight into what makes the city tick. Short sighted.

crayola
12-Dec-09, 14:55
It wasn't advertised.

Traditionally the company always promoted staff within the depot, however, on this occassion the area manager decided to give the job to a Uni graduate before it was publicly announced my manager was moving to a new post within the company. I wouldn't have fet so bad had I failed to pass an interview, but it didn't even reach that stage.

I found out today from my outgoing boss that his replacement is the nephew of one of the company directors! I can take heart that it wasn't any fault on my part. I've met my future boss, he came across as a likeable chap, but time will tell how he takes to the real world after years of studying. I'll still give the company 100% because that's how I am, though I may not give the new boss all the info unless he asks for it, and he may not know what to ask. ;)

The scary thing is, he's only 26-I've been in the workforce longer than he's been on this planet. :eek:The company's action doesn't bode well for the future. Promoting young high flyers is one thing but in your situation the lack of any sort of open process stinks of nepotism of the highest order. I feel for you jox.

Sorry to hear about your job loss golach. I'm not up to spec with recent legislation but you might wish to check that they're not doing something illegal.