PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel

LMS
07-Dec-09, 22:50
Following on from the Gino de Campo and the rat thread, I am just watching 'Come Dine With Me' and one guy is making a squirrel and ale pie. It looked absolutely disgusting and I wanted to spew! Would anyone actually eat squirrel? My opinion is that it may be slightly better than rat but there is still no way that I would try (or be in the same room as) cooked vermin.

changilass
07-Dec-09, 23:01
My Nana alus told me 'don't knock it till you try it', so YES I would give it a try.

I would guess it would be a bit like rabbit but could be wrong.

Phill
07-Dec-09, 23:15
So rats you'd get locked up fer eatin' but squirrels are fair game?

pat
07-Dec-09, 23:16
grey squirrel is a rat with a furry tail, still vermin.

I do not understand folk saying they wont eat this or that - we are in a food chain of some type. Chinese think it ok to eat cat/dog.

Have tried many things - only things to beat me so far are oysters and eyeballs.

Phill
07-Dec-09, 23:18
I do not understand folk saying they wont eat this or that - we are in a food chain of some type. Chinese think it ok to eat cat/dog.

Chinese 'll eat anything with four legs or two wings apart from tables and planes!

Kodiak
07-Dec-09, 23:18
MMM I think that Squirrel would be tasty and I would try eating it. I saw the end of that Programme and I thought it looked quite good.

I remember back in 1970 and I was in Morocco and we were Camped just outside Fez. We were guests at a open air supper/dinner and had this couscous all covered with a Meat stew. It was strong tasting and fairly tender, but still it was tasty. 3 Days after we were advised that the meat in the stew was Cat by which time it was far too late to even worry about it.

So after that I can say I would try eating a squirrel as long as it was cooked and seasoned well.

M R
07-Dec-09, 23:19
Would try it, gladly. Why not.

golach
07-Dec-09, 23:29
On an Island far far away, many years ago, when I was a young seaman, my ship docked in a place called Balikpapan, my ship was a tanker, and we had to discharge our cargo, then had to wait until the cargo was refined so we could take it back to the UK. As a result, the crew got friendly with the Locals, and myself and a few pals were asked back to a Local mans house, a Bamboo house in a clearing in the jungle, we were to have a meal with him and his family, after a few drinks, of the local hooch we all sat down and were served a meal that was cooked on a open fire, the food tasted ok it was meat, spicy, a bit stringy, but edible, then like a fool, I asked the host what the meat was......he said Monkey.............I went into the jungle and threw up much to the delight of all, sadly if I had not asked I would have been none the wiser, and I would have enjoyed it. :(

joxville
07-Dec-09, 23:49
Hmmm.......squirrel stew??? Would it taste 'nutty'? :)

Fly
08-Dec-09, 00:10
It's all in the mind, but I would not like to try it. Seems too much like eating a pet which I know is ridiculous as I am not a vegetarian.

Kevin Milkins
08-Dec-09, 00:52
We cooked a squirrel while on a night out camping years ago and it was tasty, it is a very lean meat and cooked over the camp fire on a spit, slowly, it came out top marks, and I would eat it again.:Razz

Not many greys in Wick though.:confused

achingale
08-Dec-09, 11:11
I have not had squirrel but I have had hedgehog.......flavour crisps!!!:lol:

northener
08-Dec-09, 11:14
To label something as 'vermin' shouldn't change whether the animal is good eating or not. 'Vermin' simply means a destructive nuisance.

Woodpigeons are classed as vermin, so are rabbits. Both are muchly tasty.

Squirrel? Yup, I'd try it, same as I'd try Rook pie - given the opportunity.

LMS
08-Dec-09, 11:49
It's all in the mind, but I would not like to try it. Seems too much like eating a pet which I know is ridiculous as I am not a vegetarian.

Quite agree - all in the mind, think I will stick to beef though! Something more appetising about a cow munching grass than a rat in dirty sewers.

M R
08-Dec-09, 22:01
Cow chewing on grass that has had DUNG spread on it year after year ? sound good to me :lol:

Fly
09-Dec-09, 00:12
Cow chewing on grass that has had DUNG spread on it year after year ? sound good to me :lol:

You can't win, LMS.

Turquoise
09-Dec-09, 00:18
Quite agree - all in the mind, think I will stick to beef though! Something more appetising about a cow munching grass than a rat in dirty sewers.

I agree...rats are filthy scavengers and I certainly wouldn't be eating them unless my life depended upon it. [disgust]

I wouldn't eat an animal which was a hunter ie dogs, cats nor a scavenger ie rats.

M R
09-Dec-09, 21:27
I agree...rats are filthy scavengers and I certainly wouldn't be eating them unless my life depended upon it. [disgust]

I wouldn't eat an animal which was a hunter ie dogs, cats nor a scavenger ie rats.

Do you eat fish ?