PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Santas tours of wick

Fran
07-Dec-09, 03:26
I remember when santa used to go around the town in his sleigh and give sweets to children. also logs or hampers were handed out to pensioners.I think these events were run by the wick Rotary club or round table.
What has happened to them, will we not be seeing this anymore?

nancypotter45
07-Dec-09, 04:38
This practice has been stopped for a number of years. I think it was due to Health & Safety.

flyfifer
07-Dec-09, 10:29
Or Elf and Safety! The Sleigh was organised by members of Round Table in Wick, and they would go round the streets of Wick, Thrumster, and Watten in the run up to Christmas, spreading Christmas cheer and sweets. It stopped because the membership of Round Table dwindled so much there were not enough volunteers to keep it going unfortunately.

Fran
09-Dec-09, 03:06
Maybe the public should ask them to do this again and help by fundraising events for it. all kids loved seeing santa go round wick on his sleigh, even the big kids loved it!!

Kevin Milkins
09-Dec-09, 03:30
I remember as a child and also my own children's excitement at going to see the annual procession of Santa on his sleigh and that finished quite a few years ago (down South) due to health and safety and insurance reasons.:~(

I wonder how long it will be before the carnival goes the same way.:confused

flyfifer
09-Dec-09, 08:52
Maybe the public should ask them to do this again and help by fundraising events for it. all kids loved seeing santa go round wick on his sleigh, even the big kids loved it!!

Fran, If Round Table exists at all in Wick it is down to 2 members! Maybe another organisation could do the honours though? It was a lovely thing for the kids (well, the ones who didn't pelt the poor guys with stones and worse when they were doing their rounds).

bettedaviseyes
09-Dec-09, 12:27
that brings back good memories of when i was a kid i used to love santa coming round the street me and my friends would follow him lol:lol:

katarina
09-Dec-09, 19:19
I heard it was due to health and safety coupled with insurance or some such thing. that's why the reindeer aren't allowed to pull the sleigh into the market square for fun day. Last time they were there they had to remain static and were shut in a pen. That seems to be few years ago now tho. what happened to the reindeer?
And another question, with all this health and safety and insurance nonsense, is santa allowed to fly around the sky and land on roof tops any more? Or do we have to have scaffolding up if we want him to do that?

Hen Broon
09-Dec-09, 19:22
I don't think the Wick Round Table exists anymore, the roundtable website only has Thurso for Caithness.
The round table is for under 45's so perhaps all the members got too old and there were no younger models to replace them ?

S&LHEN
09-Dec-09, 19:26
Thats really sad it sounded like a great event the orgers should get together and do something for next year.
That would get the community spirit back in the place and back in the org:)

sharona
09-Dec-09, 19:39
there is no santa come on its parents lol

butterfly
09-Dec-09, 20:37
And you have only just discovered that now Sharona..........:roll:

lister
09-Dec-09, 20:39
Oh my god Sharona do ya really mean this,,i'm gobsmacked,,,tch tch tch all these years an i find out like this,,,i'm hartbroken..sob sob;)

Fran
10-Dec-09, 01:29
I think groups and fundraisers should get together and get this going again ready for next christmas..a top priority. Decorate a van up and put santa on it like a float. Surely if they can do it for the gala they can do it for christmas.
What worries me is what happens for the pensioners and disabled if they are not getting free logs or hampers anymore.I know they get their party but that is not till january.Can something not be done here also?
And....what about the patients in hospital, surely a santa goes around the wards with a little pressie for the poor people in there for christmas away from their families.
Please please please will some organisations get their heads together.