PDA

View Full Version : St bernard's

majic
06-Dec-09, 23:25
My OH and i was having a discussion (he is a bit under the influence) we were talking about St Bernard's and i said that they didn't carry brandy he said they did who is right (i hope not) :)

telfordstar
06-Dec-09, 23:26
Was it not tobacco he carried?

Serenity
06-Dec-09, 23:27
According to the results on the quick google I just did the consensus is it is a myth based on 1 painting.

Kodiak
06-Dec-09, 23:55
Whether they did or not carry Barndy it would not be a good Idea as any Alcohol does not warm you up as it has the exact opposite result.

Fran
07-Dec-09, 03:22
yes, that breed was famous for carrying brandy when searching for people lost in snow etc.As you know brandy is a good thing to have if you have hypothermia or shock. Of course, you never give any alcoholic drink to anyone involved in an accident.

Geo
07-Dec-09, 12:29
It's a myth. Alcohol should be avoided in hypothermia cases as it increases heat loss.

porshiepoo
07-Dec-09, 12:48
From what little I know the whole story of the Brandy Barrel is a myth created by a Painter.

Some people who like to hold on to these myths though claim the Brandy was used to warm a persons body once found or that Alchohol was the only 'Tonic' that could be carried without freezing.

These gorgeous animals were initially used by mountain guides to guide people over the St Bernard pass and worked in teams. It was the St Bernard itself that would stay with the body to keep it warm while the other dog went and alerted the rescuers.
I believe Monks have alot to do with their history too but I'm not sure of the facts on that one.

Gorgeous breed of dog though and if I weren't a Great Dane person the St Bernard would be one of my next choice of breeds.

northener
07-Dec-09, 14:58
........etc.As you know brandy is a good thing to have if you have hypothermia..........

Nope, alcohol should never be given to anyone with Hypothermia. the reason is because that when the body gets colder it shuts down blood supply to the surface and extremity parts of the body in order to maintain the correct core temperature for the vital organs.

Alcohol is a very effective way of stimulating blood supply back to these areas. The initial feeling is one of warmth as the warm blood rushes back to the extremeties. Unfortunately, what happens than is that this blood then cools and returns to the core - thus reducing the core temperature even more.

oldchemist
07-Dec-09, 18:32
I remember Daniel in the Music Shop - he never had any brandy on him.:lol:

teenybash
07-Dec-09, 19:59
St Bernards are beautiful dogs, but sadly those bred now can have some serious health problems. As far as I can think, but don't quote me, they were originally herding dogs. A large number of St Bernards were killed the result of an avalanche and or lived only on average of 4 years because of the high altitude and their lungs could not cope.
The Monks bred the original ST Bernard with Newfoundlands to give them a deeper chest are powerful lungs. Through introducing the Newfoundland (the father of the Labador) they ended up with a dog who has a multitude natural of talents.......... including , seeking, finding and lying with whoever to keep them warm until help arrives..............

Whitewater
07-Dec-09, 22:06
Correct northener, one of the first things I was taught many years ago when I became a youth leader involved in outdoor activities. I also remember reading something about long ago when I took up the OU, one of my introductory courses was on biology.